Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

Star posted:

Right before the weekend started I hit mid-2800s and decided to try and push my way to 3000 and get diamond. Instead I've lost 200 points and had my worst losing streak this season. Not really sure why it happened, some games I've felt that I've played really good, other games I've sucked majorly. My teammates have ranged from terrible to amazing (love you, McCree with the golden gun) so I guess it's even in the long run. But anyhow, it's kind of nice in a way to not feel any pressure to win every game, accept the fact that I'm probably a 2600-2800 player and enjoy playing with Romanians who talk about Zarya's rear end in a top hat and call everyone "my friend".

Eastern Europeans are absolutely the best people to play this with. Especially Russians. They might suck at the game but their nihilistic attitude is like a cool breeze in the desert of rage. So what if we lose? Life is pain, friend. Have another shot of vodka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The best counter to D.Va is unquestionably Zarya, do beware of the D.Va's smart enough to recognize when your beam is weak because sometimes they'll decide to say gently caress it and have a damage race with you and if your barrier is on cooldown they might win. If you have like 50+ charge though this flips around.

If you really want to poo poo on D.Va then go Zarya while one of your supports goes Zenyatta for discord.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Thoughtless posted:

Eastern Europeans are absolutely the best people to play this with. Especially Russians. They might suck at the game but their nihilistic attitude is like a cool breeze in the desert of rage. So what if we lose? Life is pain, friend. Have another shot of vodka.

I find that there is a 50/50 chance of either getting the fun, sarcastic guy or the super salty, racist, sexist guy. The former is awesome and always makes me laugh the entire round through, the latter is just horrible.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Widowmaker is pretty good on Attack Kings row at least for the initial phase, she forced the defensive team to be conservative.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

ColHannibal posted:

Give Phara the ability to not be headshot and suddenly widowmaker is in line and phara is no longer dogshit.
As a Pharah main I fully support this.

As someone who wants to see the game balanced this might be a terrible idea.

That said, making her more resistant to a headshot (taking less damage so it isn't an instant kill the first time) might really help.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

why would you want to remove aiming from a fps game just so bad people can think they are somehow a bit better or whatever? let the matchmaker take care of that

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

flashman posted:

why would you want to remove aiming from a fps game just so bad people can think they are somehow a bit better or whatever? let the matchmaker take care of that

I'm pretty sure aim would still matter even in a game without critical heashots but okay. I mean at the end of the day so long as Widowmaker stays in the dumpster I don't really care one way or the next.

e; actually I should have just gone with a "but Hanzo already removes aiming from the game" joke instead, oh well.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 19, 2016

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

thanks for booting us all for a server and then slapping us with a 10 minute penalty blizz, that owns

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Efexeye posted:

thanks for booting us all for a server and then slapping us with a 10 minute penalty blizz, that owns

Maybe if you won faster this wouldn't have happened.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

we were winning too! i was carrying as lucio which is pretty sad

and now there is a queue for battlenet, what the blue gently caress as The Rock would say

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Efexeye posted:

we were winning too! i was carrying as lucio which is pretty sad

and now there is a queue for battlenet, what the blue gently caress as The Rock would say
So did everyone playing get a loss for the server crash?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

not sure, but i got a 10 minute suspension or whatever. doesn't matter since i can't log in

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Efexeye posted:

not sure, but i got a 10 minute suspension or whatever. doesn't matter since i can't log in
Yeah - I still can't log in either.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Lucio is really fun with boop on X and jump on left trigger but it makes going back to secondary fire characters really difficult

ChickenSuit
Apr 2, 2002

"You know I love you back."

Darth Windu posted:

Lucio is really fun with boop on X and jump on left trigger but it makes going back to secondary fire characters really difficult

I switched jump to left trigger and boop to L3 which makes punch boop pretty easy to do on console. Also try to think of it not as jump but as wall ride. I haven't had trouble switching up once I got that mindset down

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Ersatz posted:

So did everyone playing get a loss for the server crash?

Idk I wasn't kicked but the rest of my team was and the enemy team wasn't so it was a very decisive loss

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
2/2/2 is great until team picks Reinhart/Roadhog, Lucio/Mercy, Mei/Junkrat and then nothing ever dies. I'd much rather 1 tank/1 healer and 4 DPS in low 2000s because the other team is probably gonna 2/2/2 themselves into low DPS picks and a loss since they can't kill a blob of DPS. In all honestly, the team that can click heads the most will win regardless of comp at my rating.

Actually have a pubbie after round 1 defend our 2/2/2 picks against the other team's 1 tank/1 healer/4 DPS because "they weren't respecting the meta and we should win". 2/2/2 is a magic ratio apparently...

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

poemdexter posted:

2/2/2 is great until team picks Reinhart/Roadhog, Lucio/Mercy, Mei/Junkrat and then nothing ever dies. I'd much rather 1 tank/1 healer and 4 DPS in low 2000s because the other team is probably gonna 2/2/2 themselves into low DPS picks and a loss since they can't kill a blob of DPS.

Actually have a pubbie after round 1 defend our 2/2/2 picks against the other team's 1 tank/1 healer/4 DPS because "they weren't respecting the meta and we should win". 2/2/2 is a magic ratio apparently...

Well the thing about 2/2/2 is that it means 2 tanks, 2 supports, and 2 offense heroes, not defense heroes. That's your major problem right there. Nonetheless I'm going to suggest that if you had both a Roadhog and a Junkrat on your team and those players couldn't manage to reliably get kills in the low 2000 ranks that switching heroes probably wouldn't have magically helped things too much.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that lineup would be fine on defense in some maps

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Manatee Cannon posted:

that lineup would be fine on defense in some maps

ehhhhh

it's going to have a serious problem finishing people off / confirming kills no matter what map you're on

i mean sure there's a difference between doing that comp on hanamura defense and doing it on numbani offense but it's still very much the difference between "awful" and "worse"

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

It'd work fine if the roadhog is carrying. Kinda like the tank heavier comps.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'd want a zen/ana over mercy and at the very least the junkrat would have to swap after the first point, but it's not the worst 2/2/2 I've seen. mostly in comp you don't have to worry so much about people taking advantage of your composition, even in diamond+

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah I mean you could get work done with that comp, I'm just pointing out that the idea of 2/2/2 isn't literally "2 each of whatever hero," it's always been 2 DPS heroes specifically for the aforementioned reasons of having something that kills quickly. But also as I mentioned, Roadhog at the very least ought to be able to kill some folks and depending on the map spamming Junkrat grenades should also be able to work well, so it could be the heroes being chosen or it could simply be the players behind them.

At the same time lol at the idea that "we respected the meta, we should have won."

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

In my experience in mid-Gold tier, the ideal composition for my level is 2 healer/someone who can please take out that loving Pharah/someone who can please deal with that Genji/who gives a gently caress.

By the way, what's the best way to deal with a slippery Genji?

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Gimnbo posted:

In my experience in mid-Gold tier, the ideal composition for my level is 2 healer/someone who can please take out that loving Pharah/someone who can please deal with that Genji/who gives a gently caress.

For good Genjis (platinum+), you basically have to construct your team around it (Zenyatta/Winston/McCree) to have any consistency, it's too luck based otherwise unless there's a large skill disparity.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Gimnbo posted:

Roadhog with awareness + aim

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Somebody tell me how to boop people half a mile. Every time I boop somebody they go nowhere. I get booped, running full force straight at lucio, and get sent stupid far.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Hit them at really close range and ideally from the side or behind. If they're facing you their forward momentum cancels a lot of the knockback. It's still useful there, but you really only get the hilarious home runs with an ambush.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Comp with goons in discord rules. Up to 2889 tonight. A 5-win streak boosted me up from ~2680. Probably had a good 10 comp wins today at least, and I think less than 3 losses.

I looooove playing Pharah.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

You don't have to worry too much about putting them upwards because they'll skip off the ground with a slightly downwards air-to-ground boop, if you have enough force.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah I mean you could get work done with that comp, I'm just pointing out that the idea of 2/2/2 isn't literally "2 each of whatever hero," it's always been 2 DPS heroes specifically for the aforementioned reasons of having something that kills quickly. But also as I mentioned, Roadhog at the very least ought to be able to kill some folks and depending on the map spamming Junkrat grenades should also be able to work well, so it could be the heroes being chosen or it could simply be the players behind them.

At the same time lol at the idea that "we respected the meta, we should have won."

Roadhog can kill some people, but not enough to compensate for the fact that none of his teammates can kill anything in a comp like that. The problem is that most people spouting 2/2/2 like it's some kind of gospel don't really understand team comps beyond a vague "that's the magic meta formula", so you end up with poo poo like Tracer/Hanzo/Reinhart/D.Va/Lucio/Mercy and then lose tremendously because the team has absolutely no damage output, the Rein is standing around with no one behind him except the Lucio, who's healing Rein because literally everyone else is off flanking somewhere.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Had a comp game tonight where the enemy team somehow nanoboosted a zenyatta who was also ulting. So I guess ana/zen really is a bad combo.

Although I guess if you really had to rush someone to the point to extend overtime you might do that on purpose for the extra movespeed.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The map I struggle most with is Numbani point a. To the extent that I don't think I've won a comp match this season on that map. I feel useless healing on that map, it seems to be built to encourage a team to funnel (especially on console). I'm not really even particularly good with any other class there either. I can usually take and hold the corridor to the left with Reaper but this doesn't usually translate into a win for the team.

It's not like I win it every time on defense so I know it shouldn't be this hard but I'll be damned if I'm not completely useless on it.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Numbani A is the least capped point in the CP/Payload maps. It has good highground for the defenders and uncoordinated attackers will often split themselves between the main choke, the side cubby, the side highground, and the curve around the back.

The attackers need to coordinate and if you can get your team into the highground above the cubby then attacking the point is a lot easier. Otherwise you need to get the early picks because your run from spawn to the point is no better than the defenders (feels like it might be longer even).

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Main Paineframe posted:

The problem is that most people spouting 2/2/2 like it's some kind of gospel don't really understand team comps beyond a vague "that's the magic meta formula", so you end up with poo poo like Tracer/Hanzo/Reinhart/D.Va/Lucio/Mercy and then lose tremendously

But that's not the 2/2/2.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Fibby Boy posted:

Somebody tell me how to boop people half a mile. Every time I boop somebody they go nowhere. I get booped, running full force straight at lucio, and get sent stupid far.

They go a lot farther if you catch them jumping, I think. Them not running into your boop helps too

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
111 points to go until I'm Diamond ranked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FsHBfROELQ

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i dont think ive ever won a comp game on eichenwalde to date

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
tbh unless there's actual data somewhere out there showing widowmaker dragging down teams, im not actually inclined to buy into it at all.

i think blizzards DEATH TO PLAYER METRICS approach to things is counterproductive for reasons like this, since people are just going to be awful shits about things regardless except now everyone gets to pretend its not their fault. i think snipers wind up as good scapegoats/punching bags since they have such a high skill ceiling its really easy to measure a decent sniper against a perhaps unfair standard for a "good" sniper and judge them as worthless poo poo for not murdering everything in view constantly, in contrast to other players who just tend to die more anonymously when they're loving awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
SOLO QUEUE QUIZ

A) Heal
B) Lose

Pick one*

*or both