Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I wonder why the guy who buys a car once every three or four years did not negotiate a better deal with a team of people who do it dozens of times per week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Humphrey Appleby posted:

I think it's reasonable to have some sort of grace period. It's easy to make mistakes.

OP was in a money crunch yet purchased a $34,000 car. Excuse me, a "$28,000" car with usurious financing. I have no pity. You can get a lot of car for under $20,000 in this country.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

It's hard to sit down and think through long term implications and work out the math when you are standing there talking to a guy invested in you not thinking about this for very long who spends every day convincing people to listen to him.

I do math every day, and I still sometimes struggle with a basic calculation for a tip when other people are waiting on me, and that's without someone pressuring me to make a decision.

People aren't very good at thinking logically about numbers and money. We know this; there's an entire branch of social psychology devoted to it, but instead of using this knowledge to benefit individuals and offer some small element of protection (such as a grace period), businesses instead use this research to better understand how to exploit people's weaknesses.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Other people's lovely decisions finance my low interest rates and rewards credit cards. I'm cool with it.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

potatoducks posted:

Other people's lovely decisions finance my low interest rates and rewards credit cards. I'm cool with it.

I couldn't agree with this more, and I wish we would give up trying to help the incurably stupid people among us.

Seatbelts have existed for decades now, does my car really have to beep annoyingly if I don't wear it for 5 seconds because a whole bunch of idiots are still too stupid to put them on when they drive?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Stupidity is what drives the economy.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Stupid people deserve to have bad things to them so that smart people (like me) can benefit.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

VendaGoat posted:

Stupidity is what drives the economy.

It certainly drives a lot of p2p loan applications. People often ask to go on a "well deserved holiday" with an application for $25k for 5 years. Or a woman gets divorced and applies for a p2p loan to get new tits at 20% interest.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
There was a goon in YLLS that had a fitness log about taking DNP. Can't remember who but he was sleeping without sheets and an open window in the middle of winter or whatever. As I recall he went from fit to super shredded on it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Enfys posted:

I do math every day, and I still sometimes struggle with a basic calculation for a tip when other people are waiting on me, and that's without someone pressuring me to make a decision.

I just round up to an easy number that I know is greater than 20-25% because the difference is generally a couple bucks tops and waiting tables sucks rear end, I've always thought the people who calculate out an exact tip and leave like $5.27 or something are super weird

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I just round up to an easy number that I know is greater than 20-25% because the difference is generally a couple bucks tops and waiting tables sucks rear end, I've always thought the people who calculate out an exact tip and leave like $5.27 or something are super weird

No no no please don't start this

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
You should only ever tip 20% at a horse wedding

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I had a guy only tip me 10% at my horse wedding. I think that was pretty rude, but he said I was lucky to get one at all. People are so entitled.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Do the card payment machines in the states not have buttons to automatically add 15%, 20% or pick a %?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

Do the card payment machines in the states not have buttons to automatically add 15%, 20% or pick a %?

This must be some "chip and pin" madness. We give the card to the waiter/waitress, they run it, they come back with a receipt where there's space to add a tip amount.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

FrozenVent posted:

Very, very rarely, and almost never at sit-down restaurants. I was amazed the last time I went to Canada and it was everywhere.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

FrozenVent posted:

It's becoming more of a thing, but still fairly rare

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

FrozenVent posted:

I believe those autotip screens tip on tax. I never, ever tip on tax. BWM.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

laxbro posted:

I believe those autotip screens tip on tax. I never, ever tip on tax. BWM.

BWM is living in a state where the sales tax is high enough to make a material difference in your tip.

Even if you're in a terrible state that taxes like 10% on sales, on a $100 bill that's going to be $2 on a 20% tip.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I'm going bankrupt because of the machines - turns out I've been tipping ~17% all these years!

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
They're pretty much in all the places that have the card readers on tablets or whatever now though.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

PCjr sidecar posted:

BWM is living in a state where the sales tax is high enough to make a material difference in your tip.

Even if you're in a terrible state that taxes like 10% on sales, on a $100 bill that's going to be $2 on a 20% tip.

My favorite are the POS machines which have split functionality in the software but print the "easy tip amounts" on the bottom of the split receipt based on the total price. ($100 bill split 2 ways shows $20/20% on the $50 split bill.)

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

FrozenVent posted:

I think I've heard that in other places, they bring a machine to the table and you pay that way? In the US, you give your credit card to the server and they run off to charge it, bringing you only a receipt where you have to do math and write in any additional tip. No interaction with any payment machine.

Many smaller places now tend to use that Square pay system on a big iPad though, which does include a simple percentage button. You'll rarely see that at sit-down restaurant though, only places with a front counter or checkstand.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

mastershakeman posted:

There was a goon in YLLS that had a fitness log about taking DNP. Can't remember who but he was sleeping without sheets and an open window in the middle of winter or whatever. As I recall he went from fit to super shredded on it

Jesus. I honestly thought i knew about every fat-burning anabolic but I'd seriously never heard of that. That's goddamned horrible stuff.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

olylifter posted:

Jesus. I honestly thought i knew about every fat-burning anabolic but I'd seriously never heard of that. That's goddamned horrible stuff.

I've read stories about the stuff where people described it as having 25% as much energy/having to exert 4x more effort to complete the same ordinary tasks everyday. I think once I read a story where a dude took 600mg at once and literally laid in a tub full of ice cold water to prevent from having a heat stroke. I think some kid on Elitefts died from the stuff some time ago, I don't know if I can find the link easily.

If you're a BB professional, I understand the appeal if you are knowledgable about its use but for basically everyone else you're playing with fire

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I will tip on tax the day servers declare anywhere near 100% of their tips, and I say this as an ex-waiter and delivery person.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

PCjr sidecar posted:

Then calculate your tip at a higher percentage while still excluding the tax.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

canyoneer posted:

No no no please don't start this

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
Stop loving arguing and post more quotes from reddit/your friends/other SA forums

Do not talk about what you personally do with money

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

I see this ending about as well as any discussion about tipping:

quote:

Hi there. This is my first time visiting this sub, I was directed here by a friend who said you guys give amazing advice.
My boyfriend and I are looking to buy our first home. The lease on our current apartment ends January 31st, and we would like to ideally move out of our apartment and into our new home. We have about a million questions and are starting to wonder if this is even possible. I'll try to keep this as simple and organized as possible.
-We are not married. We've decided that we'd like to take any money we would put towards a wedding and put it towards a down payment on the house instead. Will the fact that we are unmarried make this harder or affect the process at all? We're both cool with a courthouse wedding now and a nicer wedding later on if need be.
-We have about $4000 saved right now for a down payment. We think we could get up to around $7000 by the end of the year with some careful saving.
-Our combined income is only around $50k...yeah, I know.
-His credit score is 769. My credit score is 550. How does this work when buying a home? Will they average our two credit scores together?
-He has about $700 in credit card debt, I have about $1100. We have a plan to get mine paid off within a couple of months. I have some things I can probably sell to obliterate a good chunk of it (instruments, collectibles, etc)
-Other than credit card debt, we only have about $700 of monthly expenses (two car payments and phone bill)
So, that's about everything about my situation I can think to add...what's the verdict, r/personalfinance? Is it possible? If not, any advice you can give is extremely appreciated.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/53eoma/is_buying_a_house_within_the_next_6_months_even/

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Stop loving arguing and post more quotes from reddit/your friends/other SA forums

Unless you have multiple horses.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Just going to post the title of this because it's all that you really need to know:

quote:

Girlfriend of 5 years asked if I would sign on as co-owner of an LLC she is creating for her candle business. How would this affect me in terms of taxes and legality issues?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Unless it's unequivocally BWM, then post away

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Am I supposed to tip at a counter service restaurant? I never do, but those things have a HOW MUCH DO YOU WANT TO TIP usually, and I feel judged by the people in line behind me when I hit no tip.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Mandingo posted:

Am I supposed to tip at a counter service restaurant? I never do, but those things have a HOW MUCH DO YOU WANT TO TIP usually, and I feel judged by the people in line behind me when I hit no tip.

I throw them a buck if I feel like it, but nah, you don't have to.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The Mandingo posted:

No, don't tip at a restaurant where there's no waitstaff. I will stand by this.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
But do you tip a cab driver? :confused: Please advise.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I think a lot depends on where they live. In some parts of the country they could find a decent little place in the $50-75k range, which would be fine with that income and down payment. Some credit card debt, but not too out of hand. Her credit score is too low for FHA lending though, probably traditional lenders too I'd imagine.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
This thread right now:

https://youtu.be/Z-qV9wVGb38

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Moneyball posted:

But do you tip a cab driver? :confused: Please advise.

Only if your expenses are reimbursed by your employer. Dat cashback. Please, take a $30 tip. You are a good person.

• Locked thread