Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

ShadowHawk posted:

Similarly, are there any mods that turn all ores into liquid?

I don't know what sort of madness makes me want an all liquid factory, but, welp, there you are.

Dytech has quite a bit of liquid-metal handling, including alternate mold-production of a lot of the high-volume intermediates like red and green circuits.

Ratzap's mod showcase server just had something weird happen with the map, the solution to which wound up moving all of our ore patches around, but once everything is hooked back up and the trains are running I had been planning to start loving around with liquid iron and copper in order to mold-produce red and green circuits, which will slash our demand for copper and iron plates by shifting it to a demand for unwashed copper and iron off of the railhead inputs.

Of course, Dytech requires finding, tapping, transporting, and handling loving lava in order to make all of the metal magic work, which is silly as hell but probably more interesting from a gameplay perspective than 'special production buildings from the mod have a titanic power draw.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

While I'm asking questions, if I want to give Bob's mods for the first time, are there any other mods that make it more functional. I think I recall there being a huge dependency on wood, I don't know if Bobs let's you automate trees.
(Greenhouses? Is that the one?)

Bob's has automated tree growing now.

ShadowHawk posted:

Similarly, are there any mods that turn all ores into liquid?

I don't know what sort of madness makes me want an all liquid factory, but, welp, there you are.

Dytech basically does this. It has the normal smelting flow, and then it has an ore -> clean ore -> liquid ore -> bar smelting flow that produces two bars for every 1 ore input. Dytech is even more ridiculous than Bobs though and I think it isn't maintained anymore. Ratzap's goon server is currently running Dytech and we've got a couple of the liquid ore chains up and running if you want to take a look at it. We'd love to have you play with us.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
It's been a long time since I played, this new mod management system is super easy compared to how it used to be.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
train :spergin:ing is so much fun. I'm starting to get the hang of signaling and when to use each type of signal.

I'm afraid for my health and safety, friends. I started putting a signal in the middle of my stations so that one train can pull in while the other's pulling out. I don't need to, but it's satisfying to watch.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

That is such a beauitful dog

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Renegret posted:

That is such a beauitful dog
Agreed, but the headset is missing.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
oh my god I posted that in the wrong thread

but gently caress it it's staying because my point stands

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Renegret posted:

train :spergin:ing is so much fun. I'm starting to get the hang of signaling and when to use each type of signal.

I'm afraid for my health and safety, friends. I started putting a signal in the middle of my stations so that one train can pull in while the other's pulling out. I don't need to, but it's satisfying to watch.

Trains are the fuckin best. They're so fun and it's such a rewarding feeling when you set up this absolute boss of a rail network that works flawlessly.

Only drat time my rail network catastrophically fails is when I'm in my 1-train-long passenger locomotive zipping around the place at 200km/h blasphemously ignoring rail signals and barreling through junctions without giving a single gently caress. Had a train explode on me once because I was going way too fast to slow down and smashed into a train that just pulled out into a 4-way junction.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Loopoo posted:

Trains are the fuckin best. They're so fun and it's such a rewarding feeling when you set up this absolute boss of a rail network that works flawlessly.

Only drat time my rail network catastrophically fails is when I'm in my 1-train-long passenger locomotive zipping around the place at 200km/h blasphemously ignoring rail signals and barreling through junctions without giving a single gently caress. Had a train explode on me once because I was going way too fast to slow down and smashed into a train that just pulled out into a 4-way junction.

Trains are more dangerous than biters.

This is my first factory where I'm laying rail so the first tracks I put down were a learning experience. It worked fine with 2 trains, but it wasn't scalable and now I'm stuck with this huge mess with no space to fix it. I keep putting off a rebuild by clever use of rail signals and low wait timers at my main factory so the traffic keeps flowing, but a single train waiting at the factory can back the entire thing up for all resources.

I absolutely can not drive around manually though. I've had too many trains bisected at intersections. (It's funny every time though)

Renegret fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Sep 19, 2016

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Renegret posted:

oh my god I posted that in the wrong thread

but gently caress it it's staying because my point stands

Factorio could use a dog buddy. He can help carry poo poo around and I guess you can make him power armor for lategame and have him turn into a cyborg laserdog of death

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

GenericOverusedName posted:

Factorio could use a dog buddy. He can help carry poo poo around and I guess you can make him power armor for lategame and have him turn into a cyborg laserdog of death

Do we get a 50s soundtrack and a 'Sarcastic' option for placing things that does nothing but put a purple pixel in the top left corner.

It requires two keystrokes and has to be done for every placement individually.

There is an achievement for launching a rocket with all placements being sarcastic.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
One thing I was thinking of doing for my next playthrough was play essentially ironman style, where you can't pickup anything you put down (I'm going to make an exception with inserters though). Any other similar challenges you can think of?

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

M_Gargantua posted:

One thing I was thinking of doing for my next playthrough was play essentially ironman style, where you can't pickup anything you put down (I'm going to make an exception with inserters though). Any other similar challenges you can think of?

Another possible exception: exhausted miners; making new ones isn't much of a challenge and space will be at a premium anyway.

Another challenge: any placed assembler must be kept producing indefinitely (input saturation nonwithstanding, as long as there is a possible source at all times) and its output routed to a central storage location. In short, all factories are always in use- waste not want not.

And if you wanted an excuse to slit your own throat: No oil cracking. (might want to use a lot of fuel consumers. Trains spinning in circles are allowed.)

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Burners only. Use that mod that adds burner assemblers too.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

M_Gargantua posted:

How would you ever split any of your ore/plate lines, though? :(

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

XkyRauh posted:

How would you ever split any of your ore/plate lines, though? :(

You can rotate belt in place to reroute as needed within reason, plus I would have to design for growth or just abandon old factories for greener pastures.

As far as infinite production that would almost happen anyway as once I set up a build area I can never change it again, so they'll just produce until the ore field their hooked up to runs out or theres nowhere left to stuff the output

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Renegret posted:

Trains are more dangerous than biters.

This is my first factory where I'm laying rail so the first tracks I put down were a learning experience. It worked fine with 2 trains, but it wasn't scalable and now I'm stuck with this huge mess with no space to fix it. I keep putting off a rebuild by clever use of rail signals and low wait timers at my main factory so the traffic keeps flowing, but a single train waiting at the factory can back the entire thing up for all resources.

I absolutely can not drive around manually though. I've had too many trains bisected at intersections. (It's funny every time though)

Just plop down a roboport and get all your friendly little whirring drones of death (if only) to remove all the rails and stuff. You can wander off and do something else for five minutes whilst they tear it all down in a robotic rampage.

GenericOverusedName posted:

This is such a good idea and I really hope you can post this somewhere the devs can see because I would love the game 100x more having a little dog companion that carries my annoying poo poo (I've been placing down chests all over the place instead of running back to base and storing them properly) and helps me fight the biter swarm. Make it so if he dies, he's permanently dead. You can command him to stay or follow and can whistle for him from afar and he'll run to you (but make sure it'll be a safe path for him to run otherwise he'll be attacked and die from biters).

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

So many dogs killed by trains...

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Loopoo posted:

Just plop down a roboport and get all your friendly little whirring drones of death (if only) to remove all the rails and stuff. You can wander off and do something else for five minutes whilst they tear it all down in a robotic rampage.

The problem isn't the rail layout as much as I just don't have space to do it correctly.

My plan is to tear up my entire smelting setup and move that somewhere else with tons of room to work in, then use that new space as a copper/iron plate drop off point. But I'm lazy and haven't gotten around to it yet.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Renegret posted:

The problem isn't the rail layout as much as I just don't have space to do it correctly.

My plan is to tear up my entire smelting setup and move that somewhere else with tons of room to work in, then use that new space as a copper/iron plate drop off point. But I'm lazy and haven't gotten around to it yet.

Take it from me, man, don't tear poo poo down until there's a replacement built already and functioning. If you tore your smelting setup before the replacement smelting area was fully functional, I guarantee you'd get side-tracked with something else and end up not having iron plate or something for ages.

I did that... Got sidetracked for about 3 hours on my new base and everything ground to a halt. Trains were running about the map with full loads constantly, wasting a tonne of fuel. They'd pull into the station and instantly zip out until I changed it so they sat for 2 mins.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
oh yeah, I wouldn't shut down my entire factory to rebuild something until the last possible moment.

That's part of my problem though, every time I decide I'm going to get started building my smelting operation, I run out of something and I go have to go put out that fire. I mean sure I can just leave it broken, but commitment is scary and I need an excuse to put off delaying the big decision of where I'm going to put the drat thing.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

good to know you're not as retarded as I am.

When you say you run out of something, do you mean resources in your inventory, or do you mean you run out of stuff in your factory so production halts? If it's the former, just place a couple of rails down and then put a cargo wagon on top and fill it with tonnes of useful poo poo you'll need, or take your car with you. the car is a lifesaver when it comes to building new bases.

drat, I really wanna play multiplayer with someone, but every time I've tried it, we always end up having super different build styles and it just doesn't work out because we both end up going off and doing our own thing instead of working together.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Talking about trains, is there any advice about the logistics side of trains? Setting up rails and intersections and things isn't that hard, but what about train schedules? I realize that's highly dependent on the number of stations, what exactly you're shipping, etc. Is it as simple as just setting the conditions to "wait until cargo is full" when loading and "wait until cargo is empty" when unloading?

Loopoo posted:

drat, I really wanna play multiplayer with someone, but every time I've tried it, we always end up having super different build styles and it just doesn't work out because we both end up going off and doing our own thing instead of working together.

You could try setting specific tasks. My friend and I settled almost immediately into different roles: he handles the mining, smelting and power setups while I handle the assemblers. Of course these aren't strict roles, I like doing the smelting setups and he's been branching out into factory layouts. But in the early game we focus on different but complementary things and it works out pretty well.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Loopoo posted:

good to know you're not as retarded as I am.

When you say you run out of something, do you mean resources in your inventory, or do you mean you run out of stuff in your factory so production halts? If it's the former, just place a couple of rails down and then put a cargo wagon on top and fill it with tonnes of useful poo poo you'll need, or take your car with you. the car is a lifesaver when it comes to building new bases.

When I run out of something I mean production halts because I mined out all my resources. I should've cranked up iron/copper richness more when I generated the map because it mines out way too fast. I don't remember what settings I used because I clicked the okay button by accident before I was ready, so I just ran with what it gave me.

I already have a utility train that I can call when I need stuff. First two cars are full of assorted stuff I might need, second two are used as a garbage dump off. If I'm building something and I need more belts or whatever, I can just send it off and it'll come back in a few minutes full of stuff.

I imagine multiplayer bases would work better once you get to the ultra late stage of a base where you can segment different functions of your base. Go make a train station where iron ore comes in and iron plates go out. Whatever happens in between does matter, let your buddy do the copper somewhere else. That or just embrace the chaos.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It depends on what the train is going to be doing.

Is it doing simple like loading and unloading a single product that's not immediately required for other products? Then you can get away with a train schedule with just 'Empty Inventory' @ station unload, 'Full Inventory' @ station load endpoints.
If you assume you're going to have trouble filling up the train fully because your mine is starting to fall off or you want a steady stream of product moving, then adding an 'OR X seconds has passed' @ station load endpoint.
If you assume your train depot does not have enough space to unload fully, then you want 'OR X seconds of inactivity' @ station unload endpoint. Or 'X seconds has passed,' here it doesn't matter all that much.

Beyond that, you can dabble with logic like the qualifiers 'Iron Plate = 0 AND Coal = 0' if you're supplying an oil station with the necessary things for plastic and flamer fuel. Or even hook the station to your circuit network and have the train be sent off when some logic is true. But that's more "you can do some really complex things if you want a goal to strive for."

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 19, 2016

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Having lots of trains waiting to unload isn't a problem unless they back up into your main rail lines and cause a backup. I didn't build any holding space in my oil depot so I had that problem. I already had all my oil tanks hooked up with wires so I could see at a glance how much total oil I had, so I hooked the stations up to the circuit network there as well. Then I added an OR condition at the unload station of quanity of oil > 58,000 (total capacity was 60,000, 58k-59k was about where it got "full" considering that oil was always leaving the tanks). That way if I'm not using a lot of oil, they'll unload a little bit and go back to the oil field. If I'm using a lot of oil they'll stay until empty and not a second longer.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Renegret posted:

When I run out of something I mean production halts because I mined out all my resources. I should've cranked up iron/copper richness more when I generated the map because it mines out way too fast. I don't remember what settings I used because I clicked the okay button by accident before I was ready, so I just ran with what it gave me.

I already have a utility train that I can call when I need stuff. First two cars are full of assorted stuff I might need, second two are used as a garbage dump off. If I'm building something and I need more belts or whatever, I can just send it off and it'll come back in a few minutes full of stuff.

I imagine multiplayer bases would work better once you get to the ultra late stage of a base where you can segment different functions of your base. Go make a train station where iron ore comes in and iron plates go out. Whatever happens in between does matter, let your buddy do the copper somewhere else. That or just embrace the chaos.

You might find YARM to be helpful: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Narc/YARM
It gives you a little tool that will "scan" resource deposits, which adds them to a list that tracks how much of the resource pool is remaining and how long until it's depleted.
Or you could grab something like Angel's Infinite Ores that was mentioned upthread. If you add it to an existing game, you'll have to discover new parts of the map to get it to work, but if you already have trains that's not a problem.

Sage Grimm posted:

It depends on what the train is going to be doing.

Is it doing simple like loading and unloading a single product that's not immediately required for other products? Then you can get away with a train schedule with just 'Empty Inventory' @ station unload, 'Full Inventory' @ station load endpoints.
If you assume you're going to have trouble filling up the train fully because your mine is starting to fall off or you want a steady stream of product moving, then adding an 'OR X seconds has passed' @ station load endpoint.
If you assume your train depot does not have enough space to unload fully, then you want 'OR X seconds of inactivity' @ station unload endpoint. Or 'X seconds has passed,' here it doesn't matter all that much.

Beyond that, you can dabble with logic like the qualifiers 'Iron Plate = 0 AND Coal = 0' if you're supplying an oil station with the necessary things for plastic and flamer fuel. Or even hook the station to your circuit network and have the train be sent off when some logic is true. But that's more "you can do some really complex things if you want a goal to strive for."

That makes sense, and I think "OR X seconds of inactivity" would be helpful.
I'm also thinking of a case where you have a handful of unloading stations at a central depot and many more loading stations -- like a well-developed RSO game. When are multiple trains useful? Is it better to have a bunch of trains with the same schedule (all of them visit all of the outposts and return to the central depot) or split the schedules (each of them visits a few of the outposts)? Maybe I'm overthinking it.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
What is 'inactivity' from a train perspective? What does that mean?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Solumin posted:

That makes sense, and I think "OR X seconds of inactivity" would be helpful.
I'm also thinking of a case where you have a handful of unloading stations at a central depot and many more loading stations -- like a well-developed RSO game. When are multiple trains useful? Is it better to have a bunch of trains with the same schedule (all of them visit all of the outposts and return to the central depot) or split the schedules (each of them visits a few of the outposts)? Maybe I'm overthinking it.
With a "wait until full or X seconds" condition, you probably want 1 train dedicated per outpost. You want to add more trains routed to the same outpost when the distance gets so far that your rail depot chests at that outpost would fill up in the mean time without extra servicing.

In general you can just sort of feel it out based on what bits of inactivity or overfilling are triggering you.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Inactivity is "am I getting touched by inserters for X seconds?" So it's bad if you have a long period of time set for X and you have a product that slowly trickles into the station and gets loaded. You would be better served with "X seconds has passed" in that case.

Multiple trains start becoming something to add onto once your system is far flung and it is difficult to get from one side to another in the amount of time it takes before your factories run low or you want to get products to processing as quickly as possible. It's like adding parallel lines of conveyor belts to a bus, you only really do it once your throughput is constrained.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Great, thanks for the advice! I want to get a really huge rail network running, I think it would be really fun.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I built a semi remote train yard and combined it with FLAN. FLAN sends the status of my resource accumulation area at the north side of my factory to the yard, and the yard dispatches trains based on that. Plus a latch circuit to prohibit the next train from leaving immediately (Generally long enough for another train to have arrived and start depositing resources, finding a good balance was difficult but I settled on ~60 seconds before the next check, done by using the AND 60 seconds elapsed at the station plus the circuit condition. When a train is sent out it just makes three runs and then returns to the yard. The last one I set up had room for about 25 trains in it.

The next one I want to work with combinators more to get essentially a edge detecting rate circuit, such that if the rate of accumulation in storage spikes up then trains are paused and if a draw ramps up the pull then a train is dispatched as each rate limit is passed.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I can honestly say that other than FARL I've never set a train to a condition other than "stay at x until you're full, then go to y until you're empty". When in doubt, add more trains. Station at an ore field that can only support 3 miners? gently caress it! It gets its own train.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Azhais posted:

I can honestly say that other than FARL I've never set a train to a condition other than "stay at x until you're full, then go to y until you're empty". When in doubt, add more trains. Station at an ore field that can only support 3 miners? gently caress it! It gets its own train.

Seriously. Trains aren't that expensive, and neither are cargo wagons. Just make another!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I always keep an entire train in my back pocket, just in case.

You never know when you're going to need a couple of diesel locomotives.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Renegret posted:

but enough about real life, let me talk about Factorio for a moment...

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Hey man, I keep FARL stocked with a stack of trains, 15 each of rail tankers and cargo wagons, pump jacks, pumps, storage tanks, miners, turrets, ammo, walls, whatever I might need to set up an outpost. Giant wall of requester chests at the FARL depot to top it off whenever it is parked. Now that I (finally) discovered that you can reserve inventory slots in trains FARL is one stop shopping for all things trains

Talky
Mar 26, 2010
Nifty / interesting addendum to the circuit wired belts stuff from a bit ago, this alternate / tweaked setup might actually be better:

https://youtu.be/PZMUtcztWeE

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Renegret posted:

this comment had me in stitches, I love how unrealistic it is with how you can just smack your car and pocket it away until you need it again. same with trains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
With Factorissimo, you can really push the limits of hammerspace.