Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I was busy jazz-ing in Iowa, but V10s should be a good race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrim
Nov 15, 2005

yum!!

GhostDog posted:

I really thought people would be into SuperV8s at Bathurst, but I guess not.

Most of us were into the wall, more like.

Evrim
Nov 15, 2005

yum!!
Are you all chilling in discord or mumble or some other voice comms during races?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I don't like Bathurst much.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Evrim posted:

Are you all chilling in discord or mumble or some other voice comms during races?

Discord for text chat and general racing gooniness, Mumble for voice chat and in-race smack talking.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

CaseFace McGee posted:

Discord for text chat and general racing gooniness, Mumble for voice chat and in-race smack talking.

:psyduck:

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Gee Bill, your mom lets you have TWO programs?????

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Ohsh is Real Mad™ about discord keybinds.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

GhostDog posted:

I really thought people would be into SuperV8s at Bathurst, but I guess not.

Sorry. I really like V8s at Bathurst. But I couldn't make it. :(

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Cojawfee posted:

Ohsh is Real Mad™ about discord keybinds.

Binding something to button 4 on a steering wheel and Discord applying it to button 4 on your gamepad/flight stick is annoying. There are workarounds, but OhsH has a legit gripe there.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

In case anyone is looking for a fix, one way to work around it is to use JoyToKey (or probably AutoHotkey or whatever) to map a wheel button to a key instead, then set that key as your PTT shortcut in Mumble. Depending on the number of buttons on your wheel, you could also put PTT on a button that won't be getting pressed on another device much (eg the reverse gear button instead of the third gear button).

Also go vote for this issue so they fix it.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
So, I've just been getting into DiRT Rally over the last couple of days, after getting it half-price, however I'm just wondering if there are any particular courses (and stages for that matter, I suppose) that are recommended, when first getting into the game? Same goes for cars - at this stage I've been mostly using the older Group A (I think? That or Group B) Impreza, although I am interested in using the old Audi Quattro as well as the Peugeot in the same class as the Quattro - however I'm terrible at driving them. (Here is a screenshot of me skillfully finishing a stage with the Peugeot :haw:)
Since so far I've given a couple of stages of the Pike's Peak hillclimb a go and that seems OK for beginners, although the couple of stages of the different rallies seem more difficult - are there any that are perhaps a little easier (or at least harder to die on, if/when you go off the road) to get the hang of, before doing the rest of the course?

Also, I've noticed that turning is more 'slippery'/difficult to handle than other sims I've played semi-recently. I mean, I know that's to be expected off-road, but it's quite noticeable on tarmac, too. (Like on the German rally, I think?) Is that just the gamesim physics, or is it simply explained as being because of the car's tyres? If it's the latter, are you able to change tyres? (Apologies if this is a stupid question - I'd look for myself right now, although I'm currently at work)
Not a big deal either way, but I thought I should check, in any case.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Dirt Rally's tarmac has always been iffy. It's the gravel where the game shines. As for gitting gud, just go through the career. It starts you off with short rallies in old cars to get a grip with the basics, then you work up through the eras and do longer rallies. 60s is easy mode, 70s introduces RWD dynamics, 80s ups the power, Group B ups the power a shitload and is probably the biggest hump, then you go onto 90s and Group A where you get more modern cars that help you out a bit while still staying fast, by the time you get to 2000s and 2010s you feel like a god.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Jehde posted:

Dirt Rally's tarmac has always been iffy. It's the gravel where the game shines. As for gitting gud, just go through the career. It starts you off with short rallies in old cars to get a grip with the basics, then you work up through the eras and do longer rallies. 60s is easy mode, 70s introduces RWD dynamics, 80s ups the power, Group B ups the power a shitload and is probably the biggest hump, then you go onto 90s and Group A where you get more modern cars that help you out a bit while still staying fast, by the time you get to 2000s and 2010s you feel like a god.

Huh, I thought it would've been the other way around, to be honest (aside from the power of the later vehicles, that is). With the later cars being easier to drive a rally in, as opposed to trying to complete a rally in an old 'boneshaker' from the '60s or so!
Makes sense though I guess, as they're a fair bit slower. I'll take your advice and start on the career, I think. I was actually saving that until after I came to grips with the different cars, as I thought it would throw me straight into the deep end, rather than be helpful and ease me into it! (shudder) :D

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Difficulty should kind of peak in the group Bs because those cars were absurd monsters that didn't have the niceties of modern cars. (I haven't played the game)

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Jehde posted:

Dirt Rally's tarmac has always been iffy. It's the gravel where the game shines.

Oddly enough, this was the case with Richard Burns Rally too.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Jehde posted:

As for gitting gud, just go through the career. [...] 60s is easy mode [...]

Wow, just did a four-stage event in Greece with a '60s Lancia and loved it! Seemed a bit like a Sunday drive/"babby's first rally" at first, but was very fun! I also went through it nearly flawlessly, as aside from lightly scuffing the car against a railing/barrier a couple of times, my only screw-ups involved flipping my car in the second stage (requiring a restart, since no way am I keeping that horrible time), as well as almost hitting a rock in the final turn of stage four, which meant that I needed to quickly reverse, perform a little flick, and shoot back on-track...except my 'little flick' involved spinning around slightly too far (drat you, loose gravel!), slowing my approach to the finish line further. I finished 3rd in the event overall because of that, by less than ten seconds.
:negative:

Still, I'm glad I followed your advice - going for the '60s cars is definitely a good choice, to get into the swing of things!

EDIT: Any way I can turn the navigator's chatter off, when it comes to corners/turns you're approaching? I wouldn't mind it if he just kept saying "don't cut; be brave!" though instead, as a reminder to me! :D Aside from that, the HUD arrows suit me fine for now, while I hoon along these roads I've never been on before.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Sep 20, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It should be in the options somewhere. Just go through the career mode. It will take you through a natural progression of cars cars.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Why would you ever want to turn the co-driver off though? Like really you should learn to use him instead of the arrows, since that's both more realistic and make you quicker in time since you can focus on the road rather than looking for the arrows

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Or run every track into the ground and requier nothing.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

IceAgeComing posted:

Why would you ever want to turn the co-driver off though? Like really you should learn to use him instead of the arrows, since that's both more realistic and make you quicker in time since you can focus on the road rather than looking for the arrows

Well, I mostly just pay attention if I see a yellow/red arrow at the corner of my eye, really. That is a fair point though, but

OhsH posted:

Or run every track into the ground and requier nothing.

this is basically my (eventual) end-goal, really. :D Just so I can switch the HUD off and just drive like how I'm used to, in other racing sims; effectively on my own without any distractions

EDIT: Also, FWD is commonly regarded as being better than RWD at off-road rallies, right? I'm not remembering incorrectly here, aren't I? Since if that's correct, I think I'll definitely stick with my Lancia, rather than getting the third '60s era car. (Name escapes me, I'm afraid. It's not the Cooper, and it's RWD)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 20, 2016

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Helicon One posted:

Come to think of it, games like Assetto Corsa that seem decent enough for spinning tires on paved roads make driving on grass feel more like driving on glass.

I will say though that Dirt Rally is the first time in a videogame where I feel like clutch kicking is properly implemented. Well iirc Live For Speed was much better in terms of wear and tear damage through bad driving but lol I haven't even looked at that game since I started sliding cars around irl.

Thief fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 20, 2016

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I did something potentially idiotic.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

That was pretty idiotic. You could have saved like 50 bucks by choosing 2-day shipping instead of overnight.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

KillHour posted:

I see nothing wrong here.

You'll be happy.

I didn't like the damper kit much, but my buddy loves his.

Wanderer89
Oct 12, 2009

Major Isoor posted:

EDIT: Also, FWD is commonly regarded as being better than RWD at off-road rallies, right? I'm not remembering incorrectly here, aren't I? Since if that's correct, I think I'll definitely stick with my Lancia, rather than getting the third '60s era car. (Name escapes me, I'm afraid. It's not the Cooper, and it's RWD)

Easier, since you can't oversteer yourself off a cliff by going flat, but not necessarily better. The Alpine car is amazing imo, the only RR car in the game, but fwd just doesn't click with me. There's also a dirt rally thread with a league, but hasn't been active in a few weeks afaik.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CaseFace McGee posted:

That was pretty idiotic. You could have saved like 50 bucks by choosing 2-day shipping instead of overnight.

How long do they take to process the order typically? I got the rush shipping because I travel for a living and am only home this week (I leave Monday and want to play over the weekend).

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

KillHour posted:

How long do they take to process the order typically? I got the rush shipping because I travel for a living and am only home this week (I leave Monday and want to play over the weekend).

When I ordered my shifter, I got third day shipping. I ordered on Monday, and it arrived Friday. All my other orders were preorders, so the timeline is different.

Once they email you the invoice, your package will likely be on its way that day or the next day.

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

KillHour posted:

I have the same setup, minus the damper kit. worth it

what are you doing for seating?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I haven't decided yet. I'll probably build something eventually, but for now, I'll just find a way to clamp everything to my desk.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

KillHour posted:

I haven't decided yet. I'll probably build something eventually, but for now, I'll just find a way to clamp everything to my desk.

You're gonna have to get creative, I don't think the CSW has a clamp.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You can order one but the CSW by itself needs to be bolted to something.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Yeah, you're not gonna be fixing that anywhere without drilling holes in your desk.

You forgot this little thing: https://www.fanatec.com/eu-de/wheel-stands-tischklemmen/clubsport-table-clamp-v2-eu.html

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I knew that, and I was going to build something here since I have just about every metal and woodworking tool in existence, but I went :effort: and sent an email to their CS department telling them to throw a wheel mount and shifter mount onto my order.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Cool. That would have been the biggest disappointment if you hadn't known.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Not really actually. I originally was going to just get the CS pedals for my existing Porsche wheel and order the CS wheel when I built a real cockpit so I could have made due until I figured out a good mounting solution (if anything, it would have just convinced me to build the cockpit sooner rather than later).

But I'm bad with money, so. :shepspends:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Helicon One posted:

I actually thought the RBR tarmac model to be pretty decent. Not nearly as bad as Dirt Rally.

Evrim
Nov 15, 2005

yum!!
So which track do I need to download for this Sunday's V10 race?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Still waiting on IceAge to pick a track. But you should download Patrick's megapack in any case, it's worth it and most likely the only track mod I'll ever use for AMS multiplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Hey, complete novice to Rally games and I'm struggling with Dirt Rally. No matter what (non RWD) car I drive, I seem to always have the car lock up mid turn. I've tried every technique from just taking the corner slow, breaking into it, handbreak turns and attempted Pendulum turns. None of them work, I always lock up. It's usually when going beyond a 45 degree turn, so hairpins are impossible for me, and I'm averaging out 50kph going into the turns.