Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

Get a load of this little guy (needs handguards):

I would like to know more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Service guarantees citizenship!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

mad.radhu posted:

I would like to know more

http://www.hondagrom.net/forums/27-grom-builds/7928-northwest-edition-grom.html

Things like this are really wearing down my ability to resist picking up a grom. They didn't do anything to the suspension, but I've heard of people swapping in some small dirtbike forks. Just HEARD, I haven't tracked down any build threads where people do it. I'd love to thrash a grom down some fire roads.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Beach Bum posted:

Gawd, I need to get something dirt friendly. I'm watching the rear end of that bike moving around and realize I have no loving idea how to ride like that.

For real. Even when I rode my friend's little kx125, it took some getting used to the rear end doing whatever it wanted, but also extremely fun.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Here's a kid having an OK time at a bike race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yu8xiKNgP0

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
How about pod casts by Ken Hill
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ken-hill-coaching/id1078519281?mt=2

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Coydog posted:

http://www.hondagrom.net/forums/27-grom-builds/7928-northwest-edition-grom.html

Things like this are really wearing down my ability to resist picking up a grom. They didn't do anything to the suspension, but I've heard of people swapping in some small dirtbike forks. Just HEARD, I haven't tracked down any build threads where people do it. I'd love to thrash a grom down some fire roads.

Groms?

Groms:

(imposter grom)

(imitation grom with weirdly big wheels)

Not Groms:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Groms?

Groms:

(imposter grom)

(imitation grom with weirdly big wheels)

Not Groms:

A lot of these are really cool because it looks like the owners had an artistic vision and put in a whole lot of hard work (or paid someone else) but the groms all just look like tacky childish garbage. Rice rather than custom.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Great find

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
The Kymco k-pipe actually seems pretty drat cool and if I wanted to get some sort of grom-like bike that's probably what I would get. It's like 1k less so I would care even less about thrashing the poo poo out of it.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Slavvy posted:

A lot of these are really cool because it looks like the owners had an artistic vision and put in a whole lot of hard work (or paid someone else) but the groms all just look like tacky childish garbage. Rice rather than custom.

I agree. I've seen cooler and more interesting Groms but not on this ride. But one of those red Groms had like a 225 or 250cc motor, so...

The Ruckuses are cool, with their Lego build style and huge aftermarket they're easy to customize. But they mostly follow a distinct formula: same stretch kits, same engine swaps, then choose your vinyl wrap. That last Ruckus is especially cool to me because that gas tank is custom made and it's a Zuma 50cc 2-stroke swap, which I'm guessing required more fabrication than the off-the-shelf GET stretch or GY6 swap kits of the other Rucks.

I was most into the 50cc 2-stroke Hondas, like that black Elite or the purple/teal/black Dio. There was a whole pack of 'em and those things loving ripped - they'd shriek past the pack at 60+ and do roll-on wheelies at 30. There were two motor-swapped Sprees (like that plaid-seated one) that probably weighed 95 lbs and hauled balls. I love that poo poo.

Buhbuhj posted:

The Kymco k-pipe actually seems pretty drat cool and if I wanted to get some sort of grom-like bike that's probably what I would get. It's like 1k less so I would care even less about thrashing the poo poo out of it.

When I took that photo I was talking to one of the sales guys at that dealership, and the bike in that photo was one of the first K-pipes at a US dealer. And it was illegal: they came in GP shift, which apparently is not allowed. So they couldn't sell them until Kymco got them a fix kit.

I also have a sneaking feeling those motors might share enough with the horizontal Honda motors of Trail/Cub/Grom fame that they already have an aftermarket, but who knows.

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 17, 2016

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Well I learned that this is a thing today.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That's pretty much the only thing I saw in that picture set and thought "that's pretty cool".

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Collateral Damage posted:

Italjet also made the Formula 125, a parallel-twin 2-stroke with the same sort of front-end setup. God bless the Italians.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
From what I remember those Italjets weren't legal in the US, but getting them legalized is pretty simple, just a matter of getting a DMV clerk to sign off on it. As a kid I always wanted one of those or a CPI GTR, which came in a 50cc or 150cc version. No idea if they were any good, but at least they looked interesting.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Italjet also made the Formula 125, a parallel-twin 2-stroke with the same sort of front-end setup. God bless the Italians.

Italjet were wacky even by 90s Italian standards but the Formula 125 was actually a pretty loving solid engine, 2-stroke p-twins are actually pretty good.

Surprisingly the wacky scooters isn't what killed them, they sold really well. No, they decided to copy Benelli and tried to build a 900cc triple for WSBK. At least benelli got a bike out, Italjet managed to go out of business just before the first bikes came off the production line of the massive new factory they'd built with money obtained with loans guaranteeing they'd be winning races from the first season with the awesome loophole they'd discovered in the rules - just before Dorna changed the rules to let 1000cc 4s in.

Now, just like Benelli, they just slap their badge on those generic Chinese SV knockoffs. I can't think of a more ignominious end for an Italian marque.

As it's the pics thread though, let's take a look at that Benelli because phwoar:

Look at the way the fairing is shaped over the clutch cover. It's wearing tight jeans. That's the most Italian thing ever.

No wait, *this* is the most Italian thing ever:

You see, they decided that they wanted the engine as far forward as possible to maximise airbox space without sacrificing the fuel tank, so had no space for a rad. So they put it under the seat. Then because there's no loving airflow under the seat they put those two massive fans on it to pull air through it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Look at that RSV/Tuono swingarm, rear brake mount / caliper, front calipers, and Tuono exhaust. Tank looks designed to scrape your dick off.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

Look at that RSV/Tuono swingarm, rear brake mount / caliper, front calipers, and Tuono exhaust. Tank looks designed to scrape your dick off.

I think you'll find it's designed to stimulate your ladybits, if you've got a dick riding that you're doing it wrong.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Those Dios are too cool. I've gotta get another two stroke.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

BlackMK4 posted:

I've never understood the design justification for tanks that angle backwards like that as if to punch you in the gut.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Renaissance Robot posted:

I've never understood the design justification for tanks that angle backwards like that as if to punch you in the gut.

no fatties

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

No wait, *this* is the most Italian thing ever:

You see, they decided that they wanted the engine as far forward as possible to maximise airbox space without sacrificing the fuel tank, so had no space for a rad. So they put it under the seat. Then because there's no loving airflow under the seat they put those two massive fans on it to pull air through it.

I like this. They should make the fans engine-driven and stick an expansion nozzle on there and get some of that thermojet thrust :madmax:

Motsew
Dec 31, 2004

Professor Wayne posted:

Here's a kid having an OK time at a bike race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yu8xiKNgP0

Pretty much how I feel inside when the stars align and I have a weekend off with sunny weather and little traffic on the B roads around me in Wales.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

Eh, I always thought the swingarm looked more like one of the old CBR ones - Gull-arm or Tri-Arm or one of those stupid names, and the exhaust is about as generic as it gets. Even an Aprilia fanboi like me doesn't think there was any actual plagiarism going on, there's just only so many ways to skin a cat.

FWIW I *think* it was the first road bike with radial calipers too, but there might be a homologation special out there that beat it to it - the Mille didn't get them until the year after. And the tank design is supposed to make it easier to hook your knee into it when hanging off - don't forget that this is very much a late-90s bike when men were men, women were women, and both of them clambered over the bike like sidecar passengers.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Collateral Damage posted:

One of my friends has one up here in MN which is odd. When he was rebuilding the engine he spoke to some guy in Jersey that had told him that a guy that lived in FL imported the amount needed to make the scooters legal in the US. It's a really nice scooter, after a new jug, exhaust, carb, rollers, and lots of tuning he could could get it going a flat 70MPH on the highway (not downhill).

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Hnnnggg :flashfap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geTHV8DfUP8

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
That sp2 is pure sex.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
The gold rearsets are gross

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Why do his fluid reservoirs have what look like socks/cosies on them

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've heard various explanations ranging from "don't want to get distracted by the bouncing fluid when you're racing" to "prevents UV degradation of the brake fluid."

I have the cut-off top of a sock on my front fluid reservoir. I did it because after refilling the reservoir, tiny drops of fluid would get squeezed out in the seam between the lid and the gasket, and get blown onto the gas tank for the first few dozen miles. I didn't want to get the paint damaged, so I wrapped a sock around it and never took it off.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Isn't it like an airplane-style safety measure? Like you make super triple sure nothing is leaking but you put a sock there anyway because a bit of seepage is not as fatal as a bit of seepage onto something important.

Except IRL you can just pull over.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Mine is for UV. I thought I had some kinda leak because the fluid kept turning dark (3 flushes in a season) but I put the sock on and it stopped. On the track they say it's to help keep leaks contained if one happens in a crash.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
0:50s - :byodame: "drive safe, and watch out for idiots!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyUtLtaiPuQ&t=200s

lmao :irony:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 20, 2016

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

80's Honda is best Honda

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sagebrush posted:

"prevents UV degradation of the brake fluid."

Never heard this, but clear plastic is easily degraded by UV, so you're actually saving your translucent/transparent reservoirs by covering them.

I do it because sockies are cool.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I saw a neat thing when I went to buy a bottle of oil today.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...campaign=buffer
What in the actual gently caress

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Yeah, that was posted a few months ago. I'm pretty sure the driver was charged. The rider may have been charged with some less-serious offense, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

mods please write a rule that posts this any time florida is typed into the reply box