Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Golden Goat posted:

His arm swords are called seamitars

That's not even the right kind of sword for a samurai! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

your honor, let the record reflect that the sword arms rule but the hat is dumb

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Cicadas! posted:

that's not even the right kind of sword for a samuraiii

It's the right kind for a funny name though and that's better.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Switching to 3D made everything better in pokemon...

cept the framerate.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

He is dumb and will forever be dumb.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Garbodor has a better, more cohesive, and more immediately understandable design than Samurott. Samurott is designed worse than garbage!

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

He is dumb and will forever be dumb.

there is no help for some people

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Cicadas! posted:

Garbodor has a better, more cohesive, and more immediately understandable design than Samurott. Samurott is designed worse than garbage!

How you feel about Samurott is how I feel about Robinhoot.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Samurott looks fine. Shell hat fits with the other forms and he's got arm swords.

Wrastling Pig is better though.

Ruggington posted:

there is no help for some people

I agree you'll never have good taste in pokemon.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 19, 2016

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

less laughter posted:

How you feel about Samurott is how I feel about Robinhoot.

Tell me one thing bad about him! Try it. He is perfection.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Space T Rex posted:

Tell me one thing bad about him!

Everything.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Some of the gliding sprites look good - Swellow and Mega Pidgeot come to mind - because it demonstrates cool pokemon moving at much high speed.

Xatu I will never understand, but flapping would be even worse.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Golden Goat posted:

cept the framerate.

It looks like S&M miiight have a better framerate, I hope.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
Xatu should be floating upright menacingly

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Weren't you the one that was mad that a barn owl was bipedal? It still makes more sense than the rest of the Internet wanting it to become a great horned owl.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Rudoku posted:

Weren't you the one that was mad that a barn owl was bipedal?

No.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Magnemite is an honorary starter, and it's my favorite.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

You're gonna have to get into specifics about hating that owl, 'cause you're just gonna keep getting angry at everyone loving him and we're gonna keep not understanding why you hate him.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I wonder why they chose water grass and fire to be the starters in the original game and why subsequent games stick to that formula
Is it because those three types have the most balanced strengths and weaknesses or what?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

cept the framerate.

unbelievably wrong.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Calaveron posted:

I wonder why they chose water grass and fire to be the starters in the original game and why subsequent games stick to that formula
Is it because those three types have the most balanced strengths and weaknesses or what?

It's the only bidirectional, symmetrical weakness cycle on the type chart.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Calaveron posted:

It's a pretty easy to understand triangle. Water puts out Fire, Fire burns up leaves/plants/Grass, Grass thrives in the presence of Water.

None of them are confusing the way, say, Poison is weak to Psychic, or Fighting is weak to Flying, or Ice is weak to Literally Everything.

Other type match ups that make sense: Electric>Water, Ground>Electric, Fire>Steel, etc.

It is cool that the Gen 6 starters have a double triangle. Psychic beats Fighting with beats Dark which beats Psychic. The only reason this isn't a "perfect" triangle is that Dark is straight up immune to Psychic rather than resistant.

The Sinnoh starters almost had a cool reverse triangle with Torterra's Ground typing beating Infernape's Fire typing, and Infernape's Fighting typing beating Empoleon's Steel typing. It falls apart though because Empoleon's Steel typing doesn't beat either of Torterra's types.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 19, 2016

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Reinanigans posted:

You're gonna have to get into specifics about hating that owl, 'cause you're just gonna keep getting angry at everyone loving him and we're gonna keep not understanding why you hate him.

I'm not angry at anybody at all though?

Anyway, everything that's bad about the design: the head, the legs, the torso, the wings, the triangle markings on the wings, the hood, the nonsensical bow, the lame arrows, the color scheme, the stupid strings that pull on the hood, the cross on its chest, the white fingertips, the tail leaves, the white spots on the back, the talons, the random feather on the head... The whole thing is just way too messy and overdesigned garbage and even the individual elements in a vacuum look bad as well.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
"overdesigned" is in the same poo poo tier of arguments as "looks like a Digimon"

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Bongo Bill posted:

It's the only bidirectional, symmetrical weakness cycle on the type chart.

Isn't Fighting/Flying/Rock one as well?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Archer Owl is the best third-form starter since Sceptile.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

less laughter posted:

Isn't Fighting/Flying/Rock one as well?

Yeah, its the only other one.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I hope that Xatu is obtainable in Pokemon Sun Version and/or Moon Version because that amazing Ghetsis video makes me want to use one

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

The extremely bad opinions on anything megathread

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Mierenneuker posted:

Is there a decent guide/checklist for Pokemon Emerald?

My recent obsession with Pokemon Go has got me itching again and luckily I still have an old DS with Emerald and Platinum. My current plan is: (1) make sure I can actually transfer stuff between the two games, (2) wrap things up in Emerald and transfer Pokemon, (3) reset Emerald and start fresh. I barely touched the end-game content outside of the legendaries and I want to make sure I make the most of my old save.

To follow up on this: turns out I never catched the three main legendaries in Emerald so I can look forward to that. Also, the battery has run dry so RIP berries.
In Platinum I stopped just before Victory Road... what the hell me from 6 years ago! Either way, I just plowed through it, beat the Elite Four and then got my asked my rear end kicked by the champ. Her Garchamp was way better than mine! I'll probably have to grind a bit and add some ice to my line-up. What would be the best ice TM for an Empoleon? The quest for the National Pokedex is coming along nicely tho, I only need to put in some effort to encounter a Swinub. Which apparently isn't uncommon but I guess I must have really hated traveling through that snow area and repelled the crap out of it.

It's also really weird to browse through storage boxes after so many years. Why the hell do I have two boxes full of Abra and Kadabra? I have an Alakazam in my main party but you'd think I'd remember if it was the product of a massive (in)breeding effort.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Zore posted:

Yeah, its the only other one.

Have a game with 3 different Dragon starters.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Dunban posted:

"overdesigned" is in the same poo poo tier of arguments as "looks like a Digimon"

and the all new "looks like yokai watch"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
My question is why were the first two legendary trios Ice/Fire/Electric?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
They weren't. Suicune is Water, not Ice.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Mierenneuker posted:

What would be the best ice TM for an Empoleon?

Ice Beam

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i think samurott has a fine design. its just not at all what i wanted or expected out of an evolution for dewott

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

Kelp Plankton posted:

and the all new "looks like yokai watch"

Well now we have the legitimate "looks like a deviantart OC"

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

The answer is always ice beam

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Dunban posted:

Hello, no. A character being overdesigned means that there are an abundance of disparate and mostly unrelated ideas present in their design that don't add anything constructive to the main concept beyond cheap flash. In other words, "trying to do too way many things at once and failing at all of them." Stupid internet people have completely devalued the term by using it as a catch-all term to represent a myriad of arguments such as "Designed in a way that I don't like," which is not an argument, or "Has too many moving parts," which is an entirely different can of beans.

Additionally, I would argue that while the Owlcher has some elements that may muddle the main idea a bit, (the glasses markings, drawstring hoodie, and smart bowtie make it look more like a student than an archer) it works together well enough as a whole that it can be considered a cohesive design. It is not overdesigned. If you look closely, you can see how some of its elements mesh in more subtle ways. A neat one is that due to using its drawstrings as a bowstring, as it aims the hood scrunches closed into a sort of ersatz aiming sight.

Overdesigning is a legitimate, real thing that you need to be aware of as a character designer, or else your character will come out looking like loving Luso.

Thank you for your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
That's incorrect, and also Luso is badass.