Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Dareon posted:

Welp, guess I'm surviving the plague, then. Sucks for the rest of you peasants, I guess. Try not to clutter up the view from my window with your corpse bonfires.

Lol he gave you loving mercury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

A Tartan Tory posted:

If you have never tried out Norse Zunists, you really should, holy poo poo.

You can literally take on stacks 3-4 times your size and win handily.

Why? I guess huscarls and that zunists get some religious bonus to combat?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Demiurge4 posted:

Lol he gave you loving mercury.

Yeah, but he drank it, he didn't breath the vapors. You won't absorb much just from drinking it once. The doctor can probably salvage most of it from your chamber pot later.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Back To 99 posted:

Why? I guess huscarls and that zunists get some religious bonus to combat?

Yeah, the heavy infantry gets some utterly insane stackable bonuses.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, but he drank it, he didn't breath the vapors. You won't absorb much just from drinking it once. The doctor can probably salvage most of it from your chamber pot later.

And if you happen to pick up Lunatic shortly afterwards, it's probably a complete coincidence, honest.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

A Tartan Tory posted:

Yeah, the heavy infantry gets some utterly insane stackable bonuses.

Scottish Zunists are almost invincible.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
What do I do as Castille when the Muslim Emirates keep on converting to Catholicism when I kick their arses?

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Omnicarus posted:

Scottish Zunists are almost invincible.

The Scottish in general are almost invincible. :scotland:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Facebook Aunt posted:

It was a common cure for constipation at one point :ohdear:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

It was a common cure for constipation at one point :ohdear:

It was also used to treat Syphilis, among other unpleasant compounds like arsenic.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Darkrenown posted:

What other UI tweaks would help you play?

An option to stay paused after a popup.

More filters in the family tree: e.g. adults only, unmarried only, at your court only.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Can someone explain to me how my council members can join factions even when the council is content? It happened after I bought some favors to get the council authority down. Going feudalism as pagan is stress now because it empowers the council. Like a couple of years later (my ruler was the same, no succession had happened) Two of my king vassals joined a faction to increase the council power again, even though they were chancellor and advisor on my content council. What is happening here?

Hryme fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 19, 2016

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Oh dear me posted:

This, absolutely. Especially because some popups don't automatically pause the game and my twitch reaction to a popup is to mash the spacebar to pause.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Hryme posted:

Can someone explain to me how my council members can join factions even when the council is content? It happened after I bought some favors to get the council authority down. Going feudalism as pagan is stress now because it empowers the council. Like a couple of years later (my ruler was the same, no succession had happened) Two of my king vassals joined a faction to increase the council power again, even though they were chancellor and advisor on my content council. What is happening here?
Do you have the War Declaration Committee active?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Oh dear me posted:

More filters in the family tree: e.g. adults only, unmarried only, at your court only.

You can actually keep the game paused after closing a popup if you hit space while the popup is open - closing a popup resets the game speed to its current setting, and space toggles the current setting to paused.

Family tree filters would be nice but honestly the dynasty tree layout gets pretty unreadable after a few generations no matter what, just because it's so stretched out. One nice option would be some kind of "relation to me" or "relation to X" filter, where you select two characters and it only displays the path (or paths) of relatives that connects them ("relation to me" would be the same idea but it just traces the path from one selected character to the current player character).

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Mister Adequate posted:

Honestly that title feels like a bit of a mis-step though, it adds an extra bit of busywork but doesn't really make a big difference to how things play out; I stuff all my best dudes into my one or two big stacks and go to town. I'd ask whether it couldn't be better done by reverting to letting anyone lead without needing the title, whilst giving an opinion bonus to any commander who was in a fight for you, or something.

Yeah, this

Thinking about of it, I really dont know what the commander as a minor title added to the game other than a bunch of slots to micromanage. It doenst makes it any more challenging, it dont really changes anything, it just adds more work

Also, often for reasons the guys I assigned as commanders wont show up in the army selecting screen for unknown reasons, so I have to go there again and replace then

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Do you have the War Declaration Committee active?

Yes it is active. All but the last two were active. Increasing tribal authority to prepare for going feudal makes your council have almost full powers.

Hryme fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 19, 2016

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
This is likely just because top speed has been really loving fast since Reaper's Due, but lately the marriage/betrothal proposals and calls to arms have been disappearing way faster than I can click them or pause the game. Having them stick around for a few seconds longer would be nice.

Also I sorta miss the education pop-ups.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Parallax Scroll posted:

I'm not a big fan of the supernatural stuff, but if it's ambiguous and it's done right it's fine. Like "possessed" is fine - they could just be insane/diseased or they can be literally possessed by the devil, and you leave it up to the player to decide. But now that the game explicitly spells out exactly what diseases someone has that doesn't work so well anymore.

Stuff like werewolves and immortality? Fun once in a while but generally not what I'm looking for in this game. I guess that's what the option to turn off supernatural events is for.

Also whoops my 7th son was all set to inherit all 3 of my kingdoms by election, then I did "found a new empire" with my 76 year old king and now I'm back to gavelkind and my lovely eldest, graying son as my primary heir. Gotta wait 10 years to change to elective, but the young son still gets all the kingdoms. lol

I say bring on the batshit. More DLC like Sunset Invasion, please.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Darkrenown posted:

What other UI tweaks would help you play?

[quote="Oh dear me" post="464421229"]

This, so much. Just have an option in the menu to toggle between "leave game paused when closing popup" and "resume game at current speed when closing popup"

Also, autoassigning of commanders. During a war (especially in provinces with disease in them) you may end up manually replacing as many as 8 commanders in just a two month span, just let them get autoassigned with a toggle, it's not a hugely important position and there's no real penalty for removing a commander and replacing him with a different one if you want to, so there's no reason to have to manually micromanage such a fiddly element that adds nothing significant to gameplay. Having to manually give people the commander title just adds annoyance, not enjoyment, nor is there much benefit to micromanaging it constantly - most people in your realm with a high martial stat will already have one or more martial traits and/or education, so even if you want to choose based on traits, just autoassigning it to the highest available martial skill guys won't really change things in 99% of cases.

Also removing them from the minor titles screen would mean less scrolling up and down through that window - as it is, the most frequently replaced minor titles are the designated regent/court physician, and your commanders, and they're on opposite ends of the list from each other, so it's a LOT of tedious scrolling back and forth every time you open that screen.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Hryme posted:

Yes it is active. All but the last two were active. Increasing tribal authority to prepare for going feudal makes your council have almost full powers.
Huh, that's odd, the committee should be stopping vassals from joining factions

Are they being forced in by favours maybe? Or is it like with Hordes, where pagans are always allowed to scheme?

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Parallax Scroll posted:

I'm not a big fan of the supernatural stuff, but if it's ambiguous and it's done right it's fine. Like "possessed" is fine - they could just be insane/diseased or they can be literally possessed by the devil, and you leave it up to the player to decide. But now that the game explicitly spells out exactly what diseases someone has that doesn't work so well anymore.

Stuff like werewolves and immortality? Fun once in a while but generally not what I'm looking for in this game. I guess that's what the option to turn off supernatural events is for.

Also whoops my 7th son was all set to inherit all 3 of my kingdoms by election, then I did "found a new empire" with my 76 year old king and now I'm back to gavelkind and my lovely eldest, graying son as my primary heir. Gotta wait 10 years to change to elective, but the young son still gets all the kingdoms. lol

What's ambiguous and subtle about the Devil making you regrow limbs? Something that possessed can also do.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

BenRGamer posted:

What's ambiguous and subtle about the Devil making you regrow limbs? Something that possessed can also do.

Yeah that and sunset invasion are pushing it a bit too far for me. I never enable sunset invasion and the antichrist child event chain makes me kinda cringe (it's fun though so in the end it's ok)

I love the strange little unexplainable things like the rose bush child, Jesus giving military advice to joan of arc or the gate to hell though, they fit the folklore perfectly and could well be coming from a sort of wild imagination / superstition.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Update on playing The Fifty-One: Wow, this is an intense start. After a few false starts and aborted attempts last night, I'm currently doing pretty well. Allied with Sierra Madre, then called them in when Comancheria declared de jure war for Hobbs. Only had one fight, in which the Sierra Madre leader died during the battle (of wasting illness, not getting killed; I assume that's meant to be radiation sickness from being blessed by the Atom), ending my alliance, but fortunately we already had the enemy routed then. I got only .22% war score due to his death resetting the battle, but I happened to catch the Comancheria king so that ended things anyway, netting me a nice amount of gold and prestige.

Then Amarillo declared holy war against me for New Mexico (i.e. three-quarters of my land), but almost all of the local Atomicists came to my aid, then the Comancherian vassal in charge of Estacado also declared on me, another de jure war for Hobbs, and then Pueblo up north attempted to subjugate me. Fortunately, my Atomicist allies didn't discriminate in who we fought, so I wound up dragging them around and purposefully not enforcing demands against Amarillo so I could finish off Pueblo with the extra troops. End result, I'm sitting on a sizable pile of gold, prestige, and piety; meanwhile my wife from the Sierra Madre gave me a daughter (who she blessed with the Atom), and later a son (whose blessing went poorly and killed him) before dying on pneumonia. Which leaves me with a single child, so I can just go Absolute Cognatic when I reach a ten year reign and still only have one heir despite Gavelkind.

I'm torn on how to proceed now; everything's looking good, but I'm not sure if I want to start going on the offensive now, likely using my accumulated prestige to raise a tribal army (and possibly mercs with the gold) since my personal forces are still kind of poo poo and my alliance with the Sierra Madre is gone, or to stockpile some more prestige and do a prepared invasion of Comancheria. Also not sure who to subjugate; there's a few possible targets available to me.

Man, though. If you survive the initial onslaught here you wind up in a decent position by virtue of all the reparations you get for the wars you win. Just gotta, you know, not die. And not get immediately declared on by Comancheria because then they'll be on you before your alliance is formed and can probably hit 100% warscore before your backup arrives; sometimes they wait a few weeks before declaring on you, which is fine, and sometimes they actually target someone else, but sometimes they'll hit you the moment you unpause and then you're hosed.

Edit: Also not sure how to handle going feudal. Just keep upping Tribal Organization as I can, regardless of all other factors since my religion (not being pagan) means my vassals won't get the opinion penalty, I guess?

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 19, 2016

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Cythereal posted:

I say bring on the batshit. More DLC like Sunset Invasion, please.

Same. Have an Atlantean Invasion. Frost Giants invading from the Arctic. A time traveler gives the Estonians AK-47s and four helicopters. Your early Renaissance Doge is a patron of arts and sciences, and funds an expedition to explore Africa. They come back fleeing intelligent raptors. Skeleton DLC. Mermaids are real and sea provinces can now be inhabited. I've played enough regular CK2, let me do some real insane poo poo, turn this game into Dominions.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Hryme posted:

Nomads and Tribals don't get the no-factioning benefit from councils.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009

Huh, that's odd, the committee should be stopping vassals from joining factions

Are they being forced in by favours maybe? Or is it like with Hordes, where pagans are always allowed to scheme?

I have no idea. Thats why I was surprised. If pagans councillors can join factions no matter if the council is content and war declaration commitee is active then it makes them very hard to play if you have expanded a lot when tribal.

Edit: Oh. Thanks Darkrenown. You answered while I was typing this. But this happened after I was feudal if that matters. Maybe because those kings were still tribal.

Hryme fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 19, 2016

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I love the Aztec DLC and will always play with it, even more now that we can set it to random so they can come up to gently caress your game at any time instead of by the end of the game when you are already a megablob and tired of the game anyway

But one problem of it is that, if it comes too early, it might be way too powerful. Perhaps it could scale by date? I mean, its ok that it has 160K army by end game, its hard but not impossible. If it comes in 820, however, 160K is probably more than the whole world combined

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guys... I think my oubliette may be broken.

Did someone forget to plug it in?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

I love the Aztec DLC and will always play with it, even more now that we can set it to random so they can come up to gently caress your game at any time instead of by the end of the game when you are already a megablob and tired of the game anyway

But one problem of it is that, if it comes too early, it might be way too powerful. Perhaps it could scale by date? I mean, its ok that it has 160K army by end game, its hard but not impossible. If it comes in 820, however, 160K is probably more than the whole world combined
Yeah, had them arrive before 900 again in my uhh, Mali game

They're outta Brittanny now, but I just slammed a decadence revolt on them through the console so they should be fine after this

It did make me think that this would be a good way of getting rid of the event troops but still letting them take a lot of land; when they reach a certain realm size they'd be hit by a scaling revolt trying to free themselves of the Aztecs, with the choice for any remaining subjugated folks to join

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Jedit posted:

Guys... I think my oubliette may be broken.

Did someone forget to plug it in?

My current record is somewhere about 60 years, literally kept that little fucker who was a pretender to my titles in there since he was 2 years old. :stare:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

Update on playing The Fifty-One: Wow, this is an intense start. After a few false starts and aborted attempts last night, I'm currently doing pretty well. Allied with Sierra Madre, then called them in when Comancheria declared de jure war for Hobbs. Only had one fight, in which the Sierra Madre leader died during the battle (of wasting illness, not getting killed; I assume that's meant to be radiation sickness from being blessed by the Atom), ending my alliance, but fortunately we already had the enemy routed then. I got only .22% war score due to his death resetting the battle, but I happened to catch the Comancheria king so that ended things anyway, netting me a nice amount of gold and prestige.

Then Amarillo declared holy war against me for New Mexico (i.e. three-quarters of my land), but almost all of the local Atomicists came to my aid, then the Comancherian vassal in charge of Estacado also declared on me, another de jure war for Hobbs, and then Pueblo up north attempted to subjugate me. Fortunately, my Atomicist allies didn't discriminate in who we fought, so I wound up dragging them around and purposefully not enforcing demands against Amarillo so I could finish off Pueblo with the extra troops. End result, I'm sitting on a sizable pile of gold, prestige, and piety; meanwhile my wife from the Sierra Madre gave me a daughter (who she blessed with the Atom), and later a son (whose blessing went poorly and killed him) before dying on pneumonia. Which leaves me with a single child, so I can just go Absolute Cognatic when I reach a ten year reign and still only have one heir despite Gavelkind.

I'm torn on how to proceed now; everything's looking good, but I'm not sure if I want to start going on the offensive now, likely using my accumulated prestige to raise a tribal army (and possibly mercs with the gold) since my personal forces are still kind of poo poo and my alliance with the Sierra Madre is gone, or to stockpile some more prestige and do a prepared invasion of Comancheria. Also not sure who to subjugate; there's a few possible targets available to me.

Man, though. If you survive the initial onslaught here you wind up in a decent position by virtue of all the reparations you get for the wars you win. Just gotta, you know, not die. And not get immediately declared on by Comancheria because then they'll be on you before your alliance is formed and can probably hit 100% warscore before your backup arrives; sometimes they wait a few weeks before declaring on you, which is fine, and sometimes they actually target someone else, but sometimes they'll hit you the moment you unpause and then you're hosed.

Edit: Also not sure how to handle going feudal. Just keep upping Tribal Organization as I can, regardless of all other factors since my religion (not being pagan) means my vassals won't get the opinion penalty, I guess?
Don't forget that the Neo-Gnostics are a relatively easy non-Christian target for you; you can reach upwards towards Boulder and whatnot there and they're mostly too weak to fight off a real assault

Neo-Gnostics btw are by far the least interesting and most dull religion in the mod, even worse than teh Sedevanctivisstit up in Alberta. Why even make those fancy religions if they then end up really boring?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

A Tartan Tory posted:

My current record is somewhere about 60 years, literally kept that little fucker who was a pretender to my titles in there since he was 2 years old. :stare:

This was my brother, who was 19 when he went in at the start of my reign and 64 when he finally died. The process was not shortened by my Physician treating him when he fell ill - a dubious interaction that I think needs to be looked at.

I got an event I hadn't seen before. My first wife died, and there was a heartfelt scene of woe where I visited her grave alone and found a keepsake that gave me 0.5 health. It would have been terribly romantic, had she not died when the syphilis she contracted from her lover developed into a sudden outbreak of elephants contracted from her husband.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Are there any good-ish Roman or just post Roman, or hell, cranking it up to 11 ancient Greece?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
EU Rome

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Are there any good-ish Roman or just post Roman, or hell, cranking it up to 11 ancient Greece?

There are mods that let you play post roman europe in the workshop, never played them though so can't attest to how good or bad they are.

On the topic of mods, you guys have got me playing After the End again, this time as House Wayne of Gotham. :colbert:

edit:

A Tartan Tory fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 20, 2016

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

A Tartan Tory posted:

There are mods that let you play post roman europe in the workshop, never played them though so can't attest to how good or bad they are.

On the topic of mods, you guys have got me playing After the End again, this time as House Wayne of Gotham. :colbert:

edit:

House Wayne is awesome, just remember to convert to Americanism because otherwise you won't be doing anything all game.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I had a fun game playing as one of the Bretheren off the coast of the Maritimes once. I carved out an impressive empire centered around New Jersey after a prepared invasion.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Don't forget that the Neo-Gnostics are a relatively easy non-Christian target for you; you can reach upwards towards Boulder and whatnot there and they're mostly too weak to fight off a real assault

Neo-Gnostics btw are by far the least interesting and most dull religion in the mod, even worse than teh Sedevanctivisstit up in Alberta. Why even make those fancy religions if they then end up really boring?

I definitely need non-Christian targets; only get the one subjugation, so after that it's holy wars, and targeting Christians with those will bring the Comanche in to stomp on my face.

Tangentially, this has me thinking my subjugation might be best used on a fellow Atomicist, as, despite their keeping the stuff I subjugate instead of me taking it, I can't holy war them, and I need a certain amount of vassals anyway. Does that make sense, or is there still some other person I should subjugate? Kind of tempted to save it anyway, since the tribes sometimes subjugate each other and wind up doubling in size, which could then all be taken with a single subjugation itself, but since they only get one subjugation they can only get so big unless they themselves are taken over, etc. I dunno. It's hard to decide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Pakled posted:

I had a fun game playing as one of the Bretheren off the coast of the Maritimes once. I carved out an impressive empire centered around New Jersey after a prepared invasion.
The brethrens stupid bullshit about only being coastal is really irritating unless you want irritating events and revolts is their only real shitshow. The religion itself just sound like pirate libertarianism, which lends itself great to the feudal system in CKII, but I can never last long, even playing as the House of Marx

Roland Jones posted:

I definitely need non-Christian targets; only get the one subjugation, so after that it's holy wars, and targeting Christians with those will bring the Comanche in to stomp on my face.

Tangentially, this has me thinking my subjugation might be best used on a fellow Atomicist, as, despite their keeping the stuff I subjugate instead of me taking it, I can't holy war them, and I need a certain amount of vassals anyway. Does that make sense, or is there still some other person I should subjugate? Kind of tempted to save it anyway, since the tribes sometimes subjugate each other and wind up doubling in size, which could then all be taken with a single subjugation itself, but since they only get one subjugation they can only get so big unless they themselves are taken over, etc. I dunno. It's hard to decide.
Holy War the Neo-Gnostics now, then when waiting out the timer tribute some of your fellow atomicists or even Christians, depending on which you can reach.

I made a buncha Christians into tributes as the Airmen and it was grand. More money, which you need as a tribe and more troops to die for me.

As for subjugations, you gotta use your judgement. Do you want to steal all the duchy level titles or wait until someone is about to form the kingdom of Arixo? Do you really want to be that close to the Californians? My recommended direction would be up, through the Neo-Gnostics then heading for the Mormons/Gaians or even the hordes, if any are left. That way, you get enough troops to play with the big boys down below.

I forget, to Atomicists get prepared invasions? Those are great when you're an Americanist.

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 20, 2016

• Locked thread