Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I've installed a bunch of CPUs and never managed to bend a pin on the ones that have them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Twerk from Home posted:

Why the hell aren't they going LGA?

How often do you change your CPU that whether it's PGA or LGA actually makes a difference? Honest question.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Haquer posted:

Yeah I like dealing with 50%-100% more cost to save me 20 minutes of work too.

Are you rebuying your cpu everytime? you do know rma's are a thing right?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

How do you all keep bending pins on poo poo? Do you take those lovely stock photos that involve using wrenches to remove CPUs as gospel?

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Pins aren't too bad to get around but remember when AMD made a cpu where you could crush the chip if you weren't super careful putting on the heatsink?

Good ol Barton. Ran doom 3 real nice with my ATI 9700

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
HP already has an AM4 system out apparently

http://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c05254568

Machine doesn't even have a support page on their site yet.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Horn posted:

Pins aren't too bad to get around but remember when AMD made a cpu where you could crush the chip if you weren't super careful putting on the heatsink?

That was also the good old days of BIGGER, MORE FINS, NO ALUMINUM, ALL COPPER RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH heatsink towers.

The day Thermalright came out with that 2 kilogram monster tower of theirs in all-copper, that was the day I stopped using air coolers for my enthusiast builds and jumped on the AIO wagon, because I didn't feel like ripping the socket off the motherboard or delaminating it anytime ever. (I missed out on the early days of the Hyper 212 as a result.)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Sep 18, 2016

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I always feel thermalright got a bad deal cause their name is so close to thermaltake.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Don Lapre posted:

HP already has an AM4 system out apparently

http://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c05254568

Machine doesn't even have a support page on their site yet.

65W TDP is pretty respectable, at least compared to the 100W monsters construction used to be. They probably finally have a sandybridge capable chip now!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

That A12-9800 is still a poopdozer though

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
That goes without saying, it's construction equipment core-derived.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
As far as average user experience goes excavator is good enough to not notice a difference.

And maybe I've been out of the retail loop for a bit but in, 600$ seems a bit much for all that. IIRC a similar Skylake prefab w/i5 costs similar.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

65W TDP is pretty respectable, at least compared to the 100W monsters construction used to be. They probably finally have a sandybridge capable chip now!

Honestly surprised they at least gave it dual channel RAM unlike that of their Bristol Ridge laptop. :rolleyes:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kazinsal posted:

How do you all keep bending pins on poo poo? Do you take those lovely stock photos that involve using wrenches to remove CPUs as gospel?

:kiddo: ...

Though one time I got a CPU that had a mildly bent pin out of the box, just enough to prevent it from socketing and so would have been made worse if I tried to force it. I think that a lot of bent pins start out that way, but the person installing it is too new or impatient to be gentle. A bent CPU pin isn't *that* hard to fix unless it's totally flattened. You just have to stop and think.

(I've never once hosed up when building / upgrading a PC for a friend, simply because having another person there while you work cuts down on the dumb mistakes caused by impatience. Even when the friend doesn't know pc hardware and so isn't doing anything, I'm talking about each step and so going slower.)

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Kazinsal posted:

The only time I've ever encountered bent pins was when I was fixing a computer for someone whose girlfriend had thrown her tower across the room because she was mad her son was dicking around on facebook instead of studying. The plastic heatsink bracket was broken, the heatsink was dangling by its wires, and the processor (Pentium 4?) was rattling around the bottom of the case. Straightened the pins with a pocket knife, threw some thermal paste on, and zip tied the heatsink back on just to see if it would POST. The guy I was fixing it for didn't care about my hillbilly fix since it worked anyway, but he didn't pay me for the job either so I kind of hope it fell apart on the way home.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

They sound dysfunctional, get one of them an account.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I have built two computers. Both times I bent a pin on the USB 3 connector and one of the two USB 3 ports on the front of the case don't work.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

sarehu posted:

I have built two computers. Both times I bent a pin on the USB 3 connector and one of the two USB 3 ports on the front of the case don't work.
How the gently caress do you bend a pin on the USB connector?

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

adorai posted:

How the gently caress do you bend a pin on the USB connector?

This connector:

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Haquer posted:

Yeah, I guess if you are buying bargain basement motherboards and coupling that with a $200 processor and enjoy wasting your own time, you may have a point.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

sarehu posted:

This connector:

I've ripped out that entire connector when pulling out the front panel cable

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Arsten posted:

Yeah, I guess if you are buying bargain basement motherboards and coupling that with a $200 processor and enjoy wasting your own time, you may have a point.

Well, AMD

:v:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Horn posted:

Man, those were some terrifying times, starting with those old Palomino core Athlon XP chips. If it wasn't worrying about chipping or crushing the die, it was worrying about gouging the board with a screwdriver when clipping the heatsink down. It took AMD way too drat long to come up with that retention clip that they used with 939 and later sockets.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

WhyteRyce posted:

I've ripped out that entire connector when pulling out the front panel cable

I have done this on the last two computers I've built. I actually out loud the second time it happened said WHAT ARE THE CHANCES OF THIS HOW IS IT POSSIBLE.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

USB 3 header is the worst header. My current 'gaming to the extreme' motherboard has it angled. The angle leads right into an edge in my case :downsgun: .

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
.....I'm still not convinced you're not all having a joke at my expense. Is this really a thing? I can honestly say that I have never had this issue with USB headers before, of any flavor.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Hand on heart the USB 3 header is terrible by design. Why it needed the click case thing is way beyond me.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Boiled Water posted:

Hand on heart the USB 3 header is terrible by design. Why it needed the click case thing is way beyond me.

To make sure it doesn't get jostled during EXXXXXXTREME GAMING sessions :colbert:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

It's connected in 21 separate places how the hell would it get moved arrrthhghhh :suicide:

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

.....I'm still not convinced you're not all having a joke at my expense. Is this really a thing? I can honestly say that I have never had this issue with USB headers before, of any flavor.
It's not a joke. Some boards are laid out like they never actually installed them into a case. On top of that, the plastic used in some of those USB3 header boxes are ridiculously low-quality. I've seen it happen in HPs and Dells when people are simply moving the header cable out of the way while working on them.

Haquer posted:

To make sure it doesn't get jostled during EXXXXXXTREME GAMING sessions :colbert:

Computer tossing is the new extreme gaming.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Haquer posted:

Look at this joker who doesn't even water cool.

please don't do water cooling

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Boiled Water posted:

USB 3 header is the worst header. My current 'gaming to the extreme' motherboard has it angled. The angle leads right into an edge in my case :downsgun: .

Can I just say I really hate angled connectors on motherboards? It's to the point where I bought a cheap-rear end mobo last time I built a PC just to get one without any.

Edit: though I've never broken one, lol

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Truga posted:

Look at this joker who doesn't even water cool.

please don't do water cooling

Water cooling is for cool guys. It's better down where it's wetter.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
People who go whole hog with custom loops are nuts, but just buying an off the shelf CLC is completely safe these days and no more complicated to install than a regular air cooler - possibly easier. I've personally never found the noise:cooling ratio worth it but they can help a lot in oddly sized cases.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I still don't know what people mean about noise, my pump is dead silent

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

PerrineClostermann posted:

Ditto. Maybe it's because of playing in a brass band and a lot of noise just not registering :v: .

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

The Lord Bude posted:

People who go whole hog with custom loops are nuts, but just buying an off the shelf CLC is completely safe these days and no more complicated to install than a regular air cooler - possibly easier. I've personally never found the noise:cooling ratio worth it but they can help a lot in oddly sized cases.

I kind of see it in another way - small CLCs are often not much better in performance terms than big-arse air coolers, so are rarely worth it; but a custom loop can give you performance possibilities on another level if you're willing to go for it.
Also, if CLC pumps or tubing fail, they are not designed to be repaired, so that's a huge inconvenience which an air cooler or a custom loop doesn't have - you just replace the part you need to.
All that said, you've made a good point about oddly shaped cases these days which are clearly designed with a CLC in mind, but I wouldn't be going out of my way to recommend those.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 19, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

PerrineClostermann posted:

:same:
the loudest part by a mile in my pc are the dumb spinning platters. I'll get rid of them once massive SSDs get cheap, and then, silence.

Boiled Water posted:

Ditto. Maybe it's because of playing in a brass band and a lot of noise just not registering :v: .

Nah, I'm super sensitive to this poo poo and it honestly works fine. There's tons of different pumps and poo poo, I'm sure there's loud ones around.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

HalloKitty posted:

I kind of see it in another way - small CLCs are rarely much better in performance terms than big-arse air coolers, so are rarely worth it; but a custom loop can give you performance possibilities on another level if you're willing to go for it.
Also, if CLC pumps or tubing fail, they are not designed to be repaired, so that's a huge inconvenience which an air cooler or a custom loop doesn't have - you just replace the part you need to.
All that said, you've made a good point about oddly shaped cases these days which are clearly designed with a CLC in mind, but I wouldn't be going out of my way to recommend those.

Well they aren't my cup of tea either, I got myself a bitfenix prodigy and stuck a big air cooler in it. I just think you've got to be really, really keen to want to put together a custom loop, and it's certainly not something I could ever be bothered doing.

Truga posted:

:same:
the loudest part by a mile in my pc are the dumb spinning platters. I'll get rid of them once massive SSDs get cheap, and then, silence.

I've been 100% certified spinning disc free since early 2014, and it's been glorious. My 1TB SSD was the second most expensive thing in my PC, after my GPU, but they are half the price now - you can get a nice intel or samsung 1TB SSD for as little as $400 in Australia, or $300 in the states.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Not-premium-but-still-good SanDisk x400 1TB will run you $230. It's insane.

• Locked thread