Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Pivo posted:

Not all Apple products. You can take a Mac to an Apple Authorized Service Provider or AASP. I don't know if there's an AASP program for iPhones though, probably is.

I tried that once, they would have taken 3 weeks over apple's 3 days, i just had to wait for a genius appt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I tried that once, they would have taken 3 weeks over apple's 3 days, i just had to wait for a genius appt.

It depends on the AASP. When I spilled water on my rMBP, I knew that the display and SSD still worked, even though the mainboard and top case were hosed, but I had no way to prove it. My local Apple Store would not under any circumstances test the parts individually, instead wanting me to get a quote on a repair. My local AASP had all the equipment to test the display, the proprietary SSD, and other components. They did it for a small fee. I sold the working parts and recovered my insurance deductible, so I paid nothing in the end for my accident. Oh, and it only took them half a day.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

So I have some very slight discolouration in the top left of my 6s+ screen. It's less than a year since I bought it from my carrier (outright). What sort of recourse do I have? It's not bad but definitely noticeable when viewing documents. I'm pretty sure it's not water damage. The rest of the screen is fine and I've always used a case.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Pivo posted:

It depends on the AASP. When I spilled water on my rMBP, I knew that the display and SSD still worked, even though the mainboard and top case were hosed, but I had no way to prove it. My local Apple Store would not under any circumstances test the parts individually, instead wanting me to get a quote on a repair. My local AASP had all the equipment to test the display, the proprietary SSD, and other components. They did it for a small fee. I sold the working parts and recovered my insurance deductible, so I paid nothing in the end for my accident. Oh, and it only took them half a day.

It's almost like YMMV... you might say.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

So I have some very slight discolouration in the top left of my 6s+ screen. It's less than a year since I bought it from my carrier (outright). What sort of recourse do I have? It's not bad but definitely noticeable when viewing documents. I'm pretty sure it's not water damage. The rest of the screen is fine and I've always used a case.

You can take it to an Apple Store and they will likely replace it with a new display. It's still under warranty. If there's no local Apple Stores, you can call Applecare. I had a screen replaced on one of my phones for a tiny bright spot.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

There's a decent chance it's a swelling battery putting pressure on the screen causing the discoloration. Absolutely take it in.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Where's my phone, Apple?! Waaaah!! :cry:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

You can take it to an Apple Store and they will likely replace it with a new display. It's still under warranty. If there's no local Apple Stores, you can call Applecare. I had a screen replaced on one of my phones for a tiny bright spot.

Hot Dog Day 42069 posted:

There's a decent chance it's a swelling battery putting pressure on the screen causing the discoloration. Absolutely take it in.

Thanks! I'm in Ireland so the closest thing we have to an Apple store is an AASP but I'll give them a call, I know a guy who works there and they sorted out my rMBP with a new monitor after the delimination thing.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
So, since Apple is a bunch of cunts with their self imposed iPhone 7 Plus lack of availability in the year 2016 (wtf), I sold my iPhone 6 Plus on eBay and will be out of a phone for a month from the way shipping dates are looking.

How badly is it looked upon to cancel an eBay transaction before shipping and cancel the auction, refund the buyer's money? I'd rather just wait a couple of months when the 7 Plus is more available and relist my 6 Plus. The part that sucks is that it sold for $405 and I know I won't get that a couple of month's from now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ah, yes, it's Apple's fault you sold your phone before having a firm idea of when your new one would arrive.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Ah yes, the ol make phones but don't sell them gambit, Apple has truly got us again.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because supply shortages are certainly a thing that never happens with Apple product launches.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"Heh heh heh, let's NOT make phone this year! That'll surely raise our stock!" - Tim "loving" Cook

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

xzzy posted:

Because supply shortages are certainly a thing that never happens with Apple product launches.

Sure they do, due to people pressing the Purchase button many times. Not due to Apple trying to play some sort of game with fragile emotions.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Tim's cock truly hosed ye.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Cawd Rud posted:

If you are wearing touchscreen gloves, the new home button will still work the same as before.

Actually it may not.

As an experiment, take a thin shirt or cloth and put it over your finger. I can still control the screen fine but the home button doesn't work at all.

It's going to depends on the gloves

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Sure they do, due to people pressing the Purchase button many times. Not due to Apple trying to play some sort of game with fragile emotions.

:thejoke:

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Endless Mike posted:

Ah, yes, it's Apple's fault you sold your phone before having a firm idea of when your new one would arrive.
I've done this 3 times in the past when the new iPhone comes out. This is the first time Apple has not sold a model of their phone in stores on launch.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

7+'s are available in-store so I don't know what you're on about.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

89 posted:

I've done this 3 times in the past when the new iPhone comes out. This is the first time Apple has not sold a model of their phone in stores on launch.
There weren't any on launch day. That doesn't mean there won't be any tomorrow you idiot.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Actually, Tim has specifically directed 7+'s away from his area. Steve never would have stood for this.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

There's are no 7 Lise's available anywhere here and I'm just sitting with "Processing" on my order. Oh well, at least it's less than a month for arrival :downs:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

There's are no 7 Lise's available anywhere here and I'm just sitting with "Processing" on my order. Oh well, at least it's less than a month for arrival :downs:

If it is in processing it should switch to shipped with in a few days.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

If it is in processing it should switch to shipped with in a few days.
Not necessarily. "Processing" is the initial stage before "Preparing for shipment". It literally just means they have your order.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Anybody notice the lock screen turning on when you press the screen while it's asleep with os10? I have a 6s. If I randomly press the black screen with different combinations of fingers/pressure, eventually it turns on. I can even turn it on by breathing on the screen to clean it. Pretty sure touchid doesn't have my breath inputed.

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong
I'm guessing you're doing this with the device in your hand? iOS 10 adds Raise to Wake, so the screen turns on whenever you pick up the device.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

89 posted:

I bought a 7+ in an Apple Store yesterday. Reservation, no pre-order. It was easy.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

89 posted:

I've walked into traffic without looking both ways 3 times and been fine. I'm gonna be real mad if someone hits me on the 4th

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
There is no iPhone 7 Pluses in the state of Arkansas :(

But, hey, there's a 32GB in Nashville.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

To be fair, there is nothing in the state of Arkansas.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

Weedle posted:

I bought a 7+ in an Apple Store yesterday. Reservation, no pre-order. It was easy.

Me too. For anyone else that wants to try this, the apple website seems to refresh inventory arbitrarily somewhere between 12am and 8am.

https://reserve.cdn-apple.com/US/en_US/reserve/iPhone/availability?iPP=U

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
It kind of makes me mad that they are showing up in stores with unfulfilled preorders out there. What's the point in preordering in that situation?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

It extra sucks because it's not as simple as canceling and buying one elsewhere since it will take up to 2 days for it to even hit AT&T that I canceled through Apple. It's some poo poo, it is.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

LODGE NORTH posted:

It extra sucks because it's not as simple as canceling and buying one elsewhere since it will take up to 2 days for it to even hit AT&T that I canceled through Apple. It's some poo poo, it is.

You checking the http://www.istocknow.com/live/ page as well as best buy?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I mean, it could be in stock down the road and it wouldn't necessarily help me since I'd have to either buy it out right or start a new line.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Holy crap the Apple Store has gone downhill so badly in my area. Rather than speak to me and ask for a couple of details about why I'm there they just herded me into a line only to be told 10 minutes later I shouldn't even be in the line. Get your crap together apple. If I've got a reservation and that doesn't actually mean anything then drop the reservation nonsense.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Cawd Rud posted:

I'm guessing you're doing this with the device in your hand? iOS 10 adds Raise to Wake, so the screen turns on whenever you pick up the device.

Ah, I had no idea that was a new feature. I instinctively press the home button to unlock when I pick up the phone so I never noticed it did that on purpose.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Choadmaster posted:

So who else is getting the buzz/hum/grind noise on their new iPhone? Plug your phone in to charge and the press your ear against the upper backside (right about where the Apple logo is).

My friend's 7 Plus was actually loud enough to hear at a distance; I assumed mine didn't have this noise until I got my ear within an inch or so of the back, then I could definitely hear it. It's only apparent while the phone is charging. Fortunately it's far less audible from the front side (talking on the phone it's unnoticeable, though if it's silent and my ear is against the earpiece it's noticeable).

Video found on youtube. Mine sounds more like grinding than hissing to me. It's not enough to bother me but I really wonder what's going on.

I've had my Matte Black 256gb + for about an hour now and this is happening. Not a big deal though :shrug:

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
buzzgate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Ah, I had no idea that was a new feature. I instinctively press the home button to unlock when I pick up the phone so I never noticed it did that on purpose.

Actually, can this feature be turned off?