Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

hepcat posted:

Case 2: Question about Trucy's "testimony" when she demonstrates her sword swapping trick. (I'm looking for just a hint here if possible...) What are you supposed to do? Present evidence or press statements in a particular order? I think she didn't switch the swords at all and that the sword was rubber the whole time. However, I can't find evidence to support this theory, and pressing Trucy's testimony in order just gives you nonsense answers.

You've now seen how the trick should go, maybe try comparing it to another performance...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I want to to take a moment to praise the blog of the localization director for these games, Janet Hsu. She writes a lot of great stuff about the thinking behind the production and localization of these games, and has recently been posting some good stuff about AA6 (I really hope she writes about 6-4 at some point).

http://www.capcom-unity.com/zeroobjections/blog

Her backlog of entries is really worth digging into IMO.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Raxivace posted:

I want to to take a moment to praise the blog of localization director, Janet Hsu. She writes a lot of great stuff about the thinking behind the production and localization of these games, and has recently been posting some good stuff about AA6 (I really hope she writes about 6-4 at some point).

http://www.capcom-unity.com/zeroobjections/blog

Her backlog of entries is really worth digging into IMO.

She deserves some kind of medal for the Kurata Cards in 6-4, because there is no way that wasn't a deliberate gently caress-you from the Japanese team. Along with the rest of the case.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Regarding the final case: I definitely think that the first half was better than the second half, the first half is absolutely stellar, but other than Dhurke, who is a fantastic character, I do think that the last trial got a bit too convoluted for me to properly enjoy it. Still good! But the emotional climax for me was beating Nick.

personally I'd rate the cases 5-1 > 2 > 3 > 5-2 > 4 > 1.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Pollyanna posted:

Is she still pissed about Robin Newman? Not that I'm not also put off, bur sins of the father etc.

I dunno, but in her defense, last I checked, she was enjoying SoJ more than DD, though in her own words, that's not a high bar.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I really think you have to twist yourself into knots to have a problem with Robin Newman's character.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I care a whole lot about some webcomic artist not liking a game I liked.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

if nothing else, this game wins because of Apollo's physics defying pointer finger . it was seriously the best thing about Case 5

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

My favorite part about Apollo is how they turned a dumb joke about him having rookie jitters and Nick thinking his name was Fine into a legitimate character trait and anxiety coping mechanism. Makes him a lot more relatable.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I particularly liked how you never saw Apollo's 3D model until the very end of the game. just another thing that's evidence towards this being Apollo's game, nice little nuance

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

I really think you have to twist yourself into knots to have a problem with Robin Newman's character.
I would've been more bothered if Robin actually was trans because then the game would functionally be outing someone

Instead they went down a weird "teen dealing with social norms in an extreme way" route which I was totally fine with

the pose of her holding up a shoe though still makes me laugh

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'd say it still counts as that considering their justification at all was "Her parents forced her to be a boy at a very early age for some reason". That whole part of the game was plain old bad and I can see why someone would not like it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

They forced her so that the game designers had one more puzzle for players to figure out bleehhhh

I honestly wanna know how the mysteries get written in these games, if they start from the murder itself and work their way back, or if they hop back and forth to check and balance everything

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Quest For Glory II posted:

They forced her so that the game designers had one more puzzle for players to figure out bleehhhh

I honestly wanna know how the mysteries get written in these games, if they start from the murder itself and work their way back, or if they hop back and forth to check and balance everything
They sort of talk about how they wrote AA5 here: http://www.capcom-unity.com/zeroobj...enario-director.

It sounds like they come up with the basic idea and setting for a case first (One starting idea they didn't use, for example, was a man who murdered a doll (????)), and then work out puzzles that would fit into it.

They had a lot of weird ideas for AA5, it seems. At one point there was an idea about the main prosecutor being a 200 year old man that does not age.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

"So, how can we incorporate the body being moved around in this case?"
"Boss I don't think we n-"
"HOW?"

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I just finished this. Really pleased with the final case in particular. It didn't ever fail to be entertaining to me, and I found the overall mystery highly satisfying.

One thing bothered me about case 3 (spoilers for just case 3) I find the high priest's reason for doing all that he did sad but also really lovely. If he was willing to die to protect his wife, he didn't have to frame Maya. He could have just ended his own life and left behind a note confessing to the murder of Zeh'lot himself or something along those lines. Was there some deeper reason I missed? That was a great case overall but I was left very confused by that detail of the motive.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

13/f/cali posted:

I just finished this. Really pleased with the final case in particular. It didn't ever fail to be entertaining to me, and I found the overall mystery highly satisfying.

One thing bothered me about case 3 (spoilers for just case 3) I find the high priest's reason for doing all that he did sad but also really lovely. If he was willing to die to protect his wife, he didn't have to frame Maya. He could have just ended his own life and left behind a note confessing to the murder of Zeh'lot himself or something along those lines. Was there some deeper reason I missed? That was a great case overall but I was left very confused by that detail of the motive.

Case three and five:

In case five, it's mentioned in the Amara file that most people in Khura'in are firm believers of "sins of the father are passed on to their children."

I always wondered why the Inmee's didn't just go into hiding.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

13/f/cali posted:

It doesn't go into it but I expect it's because he had a rock solid alibi for Zeh'lot's time of death. Confession or not the judge himself would've seen through a claim that he could be the killer.

Doesn't explain why they don't just flee and outright join the rebels as Beh'leeb ends up doing anyway.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

13/f/cali posted:

One thing bothered me about case 3 (spoilers for just case 3)

e: beaten, other people posted basically the same thing while I was writing this.

This might be related to something revealed in the final case: The Inmees were expecting a child, and in case 5 it's revealed that in Khura'inese culture, the sins of the father are passed down to their children. So probably Tahrust couldn't just cover up his wife's crime by taking the blame himself, since that would still ruin their child's life.

Here's what bothers me about case 3: Zeh'lot was killed in a secret base accessible only through a remote location that few people could ever go to. Seems to me the Inmees had ample opportunity to hide or dispose of the body secretly, then simply report him as missing. No need for an elaborate plan to frame an innocent woman.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

HydroSphere posted:

Case three and five:

In case five, it's mentioned in the Amara file that most people in Khura'in are firm believers of "sins of the father are passed on to their children."

I always wondered why the Inmee's didn't just go into hiding.

Oh, of course! I didn't make that connection. That makes sense thinking of it that way.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Quest For Glory II posted:

I would've been more bothered if Robin actually was trans because then the game would functionally be outing someone

Instead they went down a weird "teen dealing with social norms in an extreme way" route which I was totally fine with

the pose of her holding up a shoe though still makes me laugh

Iunno, I still found the entire thing to be grating. Not awful, but grating. However, part of that is because it's an obnoxious trend in anime (or even Japanese media) in general. Danganronpa had a similar thing where a boy pretended to be a girl because of ~deep shame~ about being weak. Dark Souls has Gwyndolyn, Steins;gate had Rukako (which was better because at least she wanted to be a chick). I know Japan is a different culture and I can't expect ideas about the relationship between sex, gender, and social roles to be the same across culture barriers (especially when it's arguably better and more fluid than my own culture's conceit where transpeople are at best people being malicious and deceitful and at worst outright psychotic killers), but "gender is secretly raised as/pretends to be <opposite gender>" is strangely common. It feels a little bit like trans erasure, because all of them embrace a :biotruths: notion that they are really their birth gender, but pretend to be another for some reason (usually upbringing, appearance, or shame).

I still like Robin as a character because while she became horribly effete after it gets revealed, she's still as gung ho and high strung as ever, but I'd have preferred the whole thing to just have not existed in the first place. Still not nearly as bad as the goddamn Circus.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 19, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

We can rest assured that no matter what poo poo Ace Attorney pulls, it's not nearly as bad as a 31 year old man aiming to propose to a girl less than half his age.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

We can rest assured that no matter what poo poo Ace Attorney pulls, it's not nearly as bad as a 31 year old man aiming to propose to a girl less than half his age.
Oh it gets worse. In the Japanese version, Hotti was straight up a pedophile that wanted Pearl to come "visit" him.

This was changed for the localization, obviously. And for the better I might add.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Those sorts of things you see in media are supposedly trying to say "hey it's ok to be gender nonconforming gently caress the expectations of society!!!" but as we've seen it tends to backfire horribly.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Mountaineer posted:

e: beaten, other people posted basically the same thing while I was writing this.

This might be related to something revealed in the final case: The Inmees were expecting a child, and in case 5 it's revealed that in Khura'inese culture, the sins of the father are passed down to their children. So probably Tahrust couldn't just cover up his wife's crime by taking the blame himself, since that would still ruin their child's life.

Here's what bothers me about case 3: Zeh'lot was killed in a secret base accessible only through a remote location that few people could ever go to. Seems to me the Inmees had ample opportunity to hide or dispose of the body secretly, then simply report him as missing. No need for an elaborate plan to frame an innocent woman.

They still had a problem that they presumably didn't have time to solve there: they had less than a day until the Rite and the spring of water was red with blood. It may have been impossible to drain it or circulate enough water to remove the blood color given the time and source. That was the reason Inmee used his own blood and death to conceal Zeh'lot's blood in the thought route, anyway.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Aaaaaah I forgot Hotti existed :gonk:

And at least the localization team put up a fight with Jean. I mean, it didn't really work out well and their intention according to Janet did not come through at all, but they were working with some pretty bad material, I could tell.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Raxivace posted:

Oh it gets worse. In the Japanese version, Hotti was straight up a pedophile that wanted Pearl to come "visit" him.

This was changed for the localization, obviously. And for the better I might add.

I can see why he's not in the anime.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

AA4 would be a great game if 4-2 was the first thing that happened and 4-1 followed. and if the video never appeared again.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I can see why he's not in the anime.

Man, everything about the anime's adaptation of JFA just seems like an improvement.

Carlosologist posted:

AA4 would be a great game if 4-2 was the first thing that happened and 4-1 followed. and if the video never appeared again.

Capcom was very excited about the DS having an FMV codec.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I suspect I'm getting pretty close to the end of case 5...some more thoughts.

From the very beginning I was thinking "okay, who is actually channeling who, and who has been dead this whole time?" so the fact that Dhurke was dead from the word go wasn't as much of a HOLY gently caress moment as I bet it was for some other people. Same with Amara being alive the whole time, and being Nayna.

Slightly a shame that we didn't get more Nayna-as-Nayna, I liked her animations.

I'm very nearly convinced the whole reason for the scarring was just so they had an excuse for a closeup on Ga'ran's chest.

Apollo did a whole process-of-elimination to pin down who could channel, and one kiiiinda crazy thought occurs to me...there's one person with royal blood walking around all this time that no one has ever said anything about. Rayfa can't channel, and the assumption is only the queens and Maya can, but... :tinfoil: what about Nahyuta? :tinfoil:

Oh, and I guess prosopagnosia was only half the 999 people were talking about, after Dhurke went full Snake :black101: Shame Morphogenetic Sorrow wasn't playing there :v:

Amara just got shot, okay, that I did not loving expect...but that said, isn't that a pretty stupid idea? If she lives she can still talk, and if she dies they can just loving channel her right then and right there! Unless they also shoot Maya! What the craaaarjhghjgjhh. That's as far as I am right now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's been established since the first game that only women can channel spirits.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Carlosologist posted:

But 4-4 would still exist.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Waffleman_ posted:

It's been established since the first game that only women can channel spirits.
I kinda figured as much, though no one has specifically mentioned it in AA6 as far as I can remember, just that they have to have the royal bloodline and training. It is also super unlikely that Nahyuta would have had such training.

Unless... :tinfoil: Nahyuta is also a ghost??? :iit:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Apollo Justice would be a great game if it were redone almost entirely.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Raxivace posted:

It was very obvious what was going on despite the attempts of localizers.

Also I took Jean Armstrong much better than I should've because he looks very much like an acquaintance of mine at the time who would probably have acted exactly as... "fabulous" as that if he wasn't afraid of getting gay bashed.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 19, 2016

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

cloofish posted:

Apollo Justice would be a great game if it were redone almost entirely.

At least it gave us Phoenix Wright: Ace Hobo Dad.

E: I spent the entirety of the circus desperately hoping I missed something because I couldn't accept that the whole pedophilia thing was really happening and going completely uncommented on by everybody.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Jsor posted:

At least it gave us Phoenix Wright: Ace Hobo Dad.

that was bad too

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I want Hobohodou as a DLC costume. It'd make sense for the first Khura'in case rather than him being a total dweeb that wears his suit on vacation.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hobo Phoenix is a great visual but it's dragged down by him losing his badge 20 minutes after the closing credits of Trials and Tribulations and him acting like a huge dick the entire game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

that was bad too

No that was good. Dad Phoenix is an extremely good concept and even when he was a hobo his dynamic with Trucy was fun.

I think I must thank AA4 for making Phoenix a Dad, and introducing my eventual best friend Apollo Justice into the world. Thank you AA4.