Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

I always buy download-only because they're so much cheaper, but man Big Finish can do some pretty CD (and album!) covers.

Also some absolutely horrible ones too but let's not worry about that!

And what happens when the apocalypse hits and all that digital media is lost? Physical media will endure forever!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

CobiWann posted:

And what happens when the apocalypse hits and all that digital media is lost? Physical media will endure forever!

Good luck finding a working CD player after Skynet takes over :tinfoil:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

jivjov posted:

Good luck finding a working CD player after Skynet takes over :tinfoil:

A Trump Presidency. It'll make SkyNet look like HAL 9000.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CobiWann posted:

A Drumpf Presidency. It'll make SkyNet look like HAL 9000.

I was trying to stay apolitical...but yeah, you're not wrong.

On the bright side, when I flee America's new orange overlord, maybe I'll end up in Britain and start buying Big Finish CDs due to lower postage rates!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CobiWann posted:

Well then the Doctor shows up and helps us overthrow our cruel alien masters, DUH!

God what are they even teaching you kids in school nowadays? :rolleyes:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Well then the Doctor shows up and helps us overthrow our cruel alien masters, DUH!

I did graduate from the academy with a triple first!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So I haven't been following this thread in ages, and I'm not sure the exact spoiler policy here so I'll tag this just in case (casting spoilers are okay, right?), but am I reading right that in the next season there will be two companions, that new girl they've been promoting (Pearl Mackie) and... Matt Lucas reprising his role as Nardol? The baby faced assistant of River Song who got decapitated and had his head stuck on a cyborg last Christmas special.

Has, uh, anyone reacted to that news? I tried to go back in the thread to about when that was announced, but I didn't see anyone say anything. I guess it just struck me as so weird that I was looking to see if anyone else was saying "that's weird."

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Eiba posted:

So I haven't been following this thread in ages, and I'm not sure the exact spoiler policy here so I'll tag this just in case (casting spoilers are okay, right?), but am I reading right that in the next season there will be two companions, that new girl they've been promoting (Pearl Mackie) and... Matt Lucas reprising his role as Nardol? The baby faced assistant of River Song who got decapitated and had his head stuck on a cyborg last Christmas special.

Has, uh, anyone reacted to that news? I tried to go back in the thread to about when that was announced, but I didn't see anyone say anything. I guess it just struck me as so weird that I was looking to see if anyone else was saying "that's weird."

Most of us have become dull to Moffat and his weirdness and are just quietly dreading the year after.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Eiba posted:

I don't follow news re: the new season beyond what gets posted in this thread, but I'm fairly certain he's appearing in the Christmas Special and that's all.

WHY he is even appearing in the Christmas Special considering how his character ended up in the last Christmas Special I do not know.

CobiWann posted:

I did graduate from the academy with a triple first!

I suppose you think we should be impressed by that, too? :smug:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Well, who's writing the episode? Because he could just as easily show up and lecture us for not submitting to technology and it'll somehow be both a clumsy allegory for Islamic extremism and not taking your meds.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I don't follow news re: the new season beyond what gets posted in this thread, but I'm fairly certain he's appearing in the Christmas Special and that's all.

WHY he is even appearing in the Christmas Special considering how his character ended up in the last Christmas Special I do not know.
That would be weird enough but...
Steven Moffat: “Delighted and slightly amazed to be welcoming Matt Lucas back on to the TARDIS – and this time it’s not just for Christmas, he’s sticking around. One of the greatest comedy talents on planet Earth is being unleashed on all of time and space.

(Do I need to spoiler tag this stuff?)

Honestly, I'm not really sure this is actually bad or anything. Having more companions in the TARDIS is usually a good thing, and he wasn't a bad character. It's just... really odd considering his last appearance.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well in that case... I haven't got a clue! Strikes me as very odd but I guess I'll just have to wait and see what actually happens.

LividLiquid posted:

Well, who's writing the episode? Because he could just as easily show up and lecture us for not submitting to technology and it'll somehow be both a clumsy allegory for Islamic extremism and not taking your meds.

All joking aside, it's Moffat. In general I enjoy his Xmas episodes (The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe a notable exception, that may be one of the worst modern Who episodes of all time) but goddamn what I wouldn't give for a RTD Xmas Special again :allears:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Listened to the Charlotte Pollard spinoff over the last couple of days. India Fisher knocked it out of the park, as usual...but I give like negative 50 fucks about Viyrans. They were fine as a one-or-two off...but they don't really interest me at all over the span of the box set.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

jivjov posted:

Listened to the Charlotte Pollard spinoff over the last couple of days. India Fisher knocked it out of the park, as usual...but I give like negative 50 fucks about Viyrans. They were fine as a one-or-two off...but they don't really interest me at all over the span of the box set.

yeah, their mission, taking care of those viruses is kinda interesting, but they're just another emotionless race. surely there's enough of those

i'm actually reading the titan comics, starting with the first run of 10 and 11, enjoying them so far.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The Racnoss are the first to be announced for Classic Doctors, New Monsters 2:

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who---classic-doctors-new-racnoss

plus, Neil!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I had a dream last night, and I can’t decide if it was beautiful or disturbing.

Three words.

Carry On TARDIS.

Sid James was the Doctor and Kenneth Williams was the Cyber Controller.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CobiWann posted:

Three words.

Carry On TARDIS.

This thread goes to weird places during the off-season.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

The Racnoss are the first to be announced for Classic Doctors, New Monsters 2:

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who---classic-doctors-new-racnoss

plus, Neil!

The Racnoss Queen's voice was pretty annoying in the Runaway Bride, hopefully they make it work (and also don't ruin Nigel Planer's performance by making his rasp and smack his lips every 2 seconds).

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Reminder: There will be a DVD of Power before the end of the year!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Reminder: There will be a DVD of Power before the end of the year!

Well, kind of.

Speaking of the Power of the Daleks, are we going to try to simul-watch the reconstructions? The episodes are going to be released on day at a time in the UK, but broadcast all at once in the US.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CobiWann posted:

Three words.

Carry On TARDIS.

I assume Barbara Windsor was the companion?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
My girlfriend and her mom are watching Call The Midwife, which really reminds me of RTD era Doctor Who for some reason. I keep expecting David Tennant to pop out of the TARDIS as a sassy nun is delivering a baby.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

BSam posted:

yeah, their mission, taking care of those viruses is kinda interesting, but they're just another emotionless race. surely there's enough of those

i'm actually reading the titan comics, starting with the first run of 10 and 11, enjoying them so far.

I've yet to bother with that series, because I think the entire time I'd be waiting for her to FINALLY find the 8th Doctor, as that should be her quest, and I know she never will. :(

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Astroman posted:

I've yet to bother with that series, because I think the entire time I'd be waiting for her to FINALLY find the 8th Doctor, as that should be her quest, and I know she never will. :(

She should be in one of the War Doctor box-sets constantly complaining that he is NOT the Doctor while he exasperatedly agrees.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I mentioned the Titan comics, I'm really enjoying them. Eleven and his companion seem to have picked up a fictional version of David Bowie.

The writers are having a lot of fun with this.

"these are mind controlled jetpacks, just think 'legal library' and they will take us there"
"wow it's working, how about you john jones"
"i think my spaceship knows which way to go"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Astroman posted:

She believes the Doctor to be dead though, so why would she go looking for him?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

BSam posted:

I mentioned the Titan comics, I'm really enjoying them. Eleven and his companion seem to have picked up a fictional version of David Bowie.

I'm a few issues behind but this series is extremely satisfying. The poo poo with Alice and the Time War - and the Master hanging out with the War Doctor, and all the stuff with the weird degenerate Daleks pulled me right back in when I thought it was losing me.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Finally got a chance to listen to an audio for the first time in forever. I got to listen to "Lurkers at Sunlight's Edge".

I admit I actually didn't get that it's a Cthulhu homage until I got to the part with the author. Overall it was a pretty good story, a couple rolling R's from McCoy as well.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Heads up people who don't have jobs to go to
http://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/shows/writing_doctor_who_30sept16

quote:

BBC Writersroom presents Writing Doctor Who

Join Doctor Who’s multi-award-winning lead writer and executive producer, Steven Moffat, alongside the show’s script editor, Nick Lambon, to discover the journey from initial story idea to shooting script and beyond...

Steven Moffat and Nick Lambon will be interviewed on stage then it’s over to you as we throw the session open in an audience Q&A.

If you’ve ever wondered how a Doctor Who script is developed from pre-production to "Action!", this very special event with two of the show’s most important figures is an absolute must-see!

Friday30 September1.45pm
BBC Radio Theatre, London
Minimum age: 18
Maximum of 2 tickets per request

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Moffat: So we write our first draft many months before the episode goes to air...
RTD (in audience furiously scribbling): Why didn't I think of that!?!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Moffat: So we write our first draft many months before the episode goes to air and then I don't bother looking at it again because I'm too busy sleeping with all the female staff and pissing away the budget on hiring my mates...
RTD (in audience furiously scribbling): I just wrote a better character in 30 seconds than Mo's managed in 6 seasons.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

RTD: The character looks like a Silurian but that's racist because it's blue and is a Tilurian from the planet Rapadapadoopawoopalapparangadingadongboo. Rup.
Moffat: Rup?
RTD: Rup.

Edit: All joking aside man I'd love to see RTD write an episode of Doctor Who again, especially since (opposite to Moffat) allegedly most of his writing issues came down to putting so much more time into running the actual production side of things.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Who also live in London

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Jerusalem posted:

Moffat: So we write our first draft many months before the episode goes to air...
RTD (in audience furiously scribbling): Why didn't I think of that!?!

RTD's not the one who made the Doctor the Witch and the Wardrobe or whatever it was called.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Someome should go and ask him how many people he's erased from Doctor Who during his tenure.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Who also live in London

Wait, there are people in England who DON'T live in London?!?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

There are even people in the UK who don't live in England.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

We don't like to talk about those people.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lottery of Babylon posted:

RTD's not the one who made the Doctor the Witch and the Wardrobe or whatever it was called.

He did make Planet of the Dead though!

This is NOT a defense of The Doctor, the Witch and the Wardrobe by the way, because holy shiiiiit that episode :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jerusalem posted:

Edit: All joking aside man I'd love to see RTD write an episode of Doctor Who again, especially since (opposite to Moffat) allegedly most of his writing issues came down to putting so much more time into running the actual production side of things.

If I'm remembering The Writer's Tale correctly (gosh, it's been years, I really should re-read it), Davies' issue is that he'd come up with some big idea for a story and just write it on the fly without having any idea of a beginning, middle or end, just that he wanted to have one huge beat in the episode. So he never really broke a story, he just went stream-of-consciousness and called it done.

• Locked thread