Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Looking at the notability guidelines, isn't simply being on the roster of a label enough, if that label has been going a while and has a few bands? Some bands seem to just have their label website bio/album pages as sources?

You'd think so but in practice it isn't. Band articles are such a goddamn sea of spam they get fussy. (I spend way too much time in the Wikipedia spam mines, because breaking spammer hearts is the wind beneath my wings.)

The rule is WP:BAND and you have to hit a pile of these. IME charting (DAC counts) gets you prima facie notability, non-blog musical coverage helps a lot, not charting but touring like a motherfucker in such a way that you get coverage in non-blog media counts ... it's squishy, but there are reasons WP is fussy and most of them are "spammers mean we can't have nice things". Sigh. Oh, paper sources are fine for citations too - doesn't have to be an online source. But you can appreciate what arse it can be sometimes. Basically, WikiProject Industrial needs operatives in Germany and doesn't have them. (And German Wikipedia seems even fussier than English Wikipedia.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

divabot posted:

You'd think so but in practice it isn't. Band articles are such a goddamn sea of spam they get fussy. (I spend way too much time in the Wikipedia spam mines, because breaking spammer hearts is the wind beneath my wings.)

The rule is WP:BAND and you have to hit a pile of these. IME charting (DAC counts) gets you prima facie notability, non-blog musical coverage helps a lot, not charting but touring like a motherfucker in such a way that you get coverage in non-blog media counts ... it's squishy, but there are reasons WP is fussy and most of them are "spammers mean we can't have nice things". Sigh. Oh, paper sources are fine for citations too - doesn't have to be an online source. But you can appreciate what arse it can be sometimes. Basically, WikiProject Industrial needs operatives in Germany and doesn't have them. (And German Wikipedia seems even fussier than English Wikipedia.)

Could you get away with mentions in Sonic Seducer? They have a paper magazine and a searachble online presence too?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Could you get away with mentions in Sonic Seducer? They have a paper magazine and a searachble online presence too?

Probably be a good start. Multiple coverage helps a whole lot.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Geckolio posted:

Las Suicas - Two Latinas from Oakland who make experimental reggaeton and list Diamanda Galas, Throbbing Gristle and Neubauten as an influence.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDlTgY5n5_c

This is extremely awesome. If anyone knows of any more industrial-tinged noisy reggaeton (or dancehall, or anything along those lines) I would be extremely interested.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

This is extremely awesome. If anyone knows of any more industrial-tinged noisy reggaeton (or dancehall, or anything along those lines) I would be extremely interested.
There's a mini-wave of this happening and I need to get off my rear end and pitch an article for ID:YD on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiNMRsOkhlo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2wsBPX25O4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbBE_hPaBs0

^ Last one is my favorite.

A lot Latin industrial has been swamped by aggrotech in the past decade and it's interesting seeing a change to interesting stuff that is distinctly Latin.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Fuuuck, those are all good, especially that last one, and one links to this:

https://pakapirecords.bandcamp.com/album/titanik-apocalipto-surf

Edit: basically I heard a DJ over the weekend playing a pounding remix of some kind of reggaeton influenced track and I realised what I wanted more than anything was an industrial equivalent to Major Lazer and now it turns out that's already a whole thing :v:

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 1, 2016

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah Pakapi Records seems to be where most of it's at right now. More people in North America and Europe need to hear this stuff.

Also check out the La MiniTK Del Miedo EP "La Trilogia De La Salvacion."

It's like reggaeton mixed with Doubting Thomas.

https://portafonico.bandcamp.com/album/la-minitk-del-miedo-la-trilog-a-de-la-salvaci-n-2015

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Also the Slack channel gave us this:

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

divabot posted:

I have a problem I'm trying to solve: loving Wikipedia(tm). Now I've been involved in the world's favourite encyclopedia since 2004 and know how the rules work, and even the most infuriating rules all there for a reason. In particular the "notability" rules are there because spammers mean we can't have nice things.

So this presents a certain problem for our favourite musical genre, because the sourcing is thin as gently caress and is mostly blogs (which don't count).

One thing which does count is a national chart, including minor national charts. Say ... the Deutsche Alternative Charts. If your record gets a DAC entry, it prima facie passes notability.

What I can't find is any handy source on past DACs. Like, at all. Is there such a thing? Is there even a subscription source without a swingeing price?

(The other sort of sourcing is print magazines in German, but this requires someone on the ground to source them.)

[The more general problem is that music journalism has been destroyed by the Internet when it took out the record industry. Speaking as a former music journalist, I can only see this as a good thing for humanity. But it does mean that an indie band from the 1980s will often have excellent sources, but one from the 2010s just won't.]

Couldn't you just use a site like discogs that's actually for putting obscure bands on instead of wrestling with the head nerds at wikipedia

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

A human heart posted:

Couldn't you just use a site like discogs that's actually for putting obscure bands on instead of wrestling with the head nerds at wikipedia

As one of those head nerds - nope! Discogs is technically "user-generated content", and never mind that in practice it's better than the typical "reliable source" (another wacky Wikipedia jargon term that doesn't mean "actually reliable".) Discogs is near-infallible in my experience, actually. But the key thing on keeping an article from being deleted is, Discogs specifically does not discriminate on noteworthiness - it takes everything - so is no good as evidence anyone will care about a band.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Tonight I stumbled across Scheuber - The Me I See. A recent solo album by the Project Pitchfork keyboardist. It's really good! More synthpoppy than electro-industrial, but very very decent.

Can't believe you didn't mention this, CAT rear end now!!!

It's on Spotify, but here's one track posted to YouTube:

[video type="youtube"]JH-eqcqY61M[/video]

edit: ... and apparently the forums have broken video parsing. If you just search YouTube for "scheuber" it comes up.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 4, 2016

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I kind of forgot to post about it! I actually heard the full album back in July because a German friend of mine got it early (he'd given advice to Scheuber on some medical stuff he needed for the lyrics and got the CD as a thank you). Like we discussed in the Slack channel, I think it's a surprisingly solid album and Scheuber has a really good voice. I do think the album could've done with a bit of trimming, maybe drop one or two of the weaker tracks. But nonetheless it's a great debut solo album. Kind of crazy that Scheuber hadn't done any solo stuff or even side projects before this. He's been in Project Pitchfork for like 25 years after all.

I've been listening to Seabound's discography in chronological order on Spotify today, thanks for your recommendations! Definitely digging it. Will post more detailed impressions later when I've given Speak in Storms a listen as well. Easy band to get into since there are only four albums.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

I kind of forgot to post about it! I actually heard the full album back in July because a German friend of mine got it early (he'd given advice to Scheuber on some medical stuff he needed for the lyrics and got the CD as a thank you). Like we discussed in the Slack channel, I think it's a surprisingly solid album and Scheuber has a really good voice. I do think the album could've done with a bit of trimming, maybe drop one or two of the weaker tracks. But nonetheless it's a great debut solo album. Kind of crazy that Scheuber hadn't done any solo stuff or even side projects before this. He's been in Project Pitchfork for like 25 years after all.

I've been listening to Seabound's discography in chronological order on Spotify today, thanks for your recommendations! Definitely digging it. Will post more detailed impressions later when I've given Speak in Storms a listen as well. Easy band to get into since there are only four albums.

Frank M. Spinath, the vocalist, also sings for Ghost and Writer if you'd like more of his soothing voice. Their recent track on the Electronic Saviors compilation was really great. If you'd prefer to hear him in more of a speaking role, you could also go take a psychology class from him at the University of Saarland.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Prop Wash posted:

Frank M. Spinath, the vocalist, also sings for Ghost and Writer if you'd like more of his soothing voice. Their recent track on the Electronic Saviors compilation was really great. If you'd prefer to hear him in more of a speaking role, you could also go take a psychology class from him at the University of Saarland.

Also a single with Liquid Newt (what sorta friggin name is "Liquid Newt") which was pretty nice.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Also Edge of Dawn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-fK-VoNnwc

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Who like Raymond Watts and nun fetishism?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2irDx78HL4

edit: holy poo poo, he's coming to Denver this month! http://www.theorientaltheater.com/event/252031/pig-featuring-raymond-watts-kmfdm

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 9, 2016

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I loving missed them playing in Toronto this week. It's so rare I completely obliviously miss a show.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Prop Wash posted:

If you'd prefer to hear him in more of a speaking role, you could also go take a psychology class from him at the University of Saarland.
Frank Spinath, the smartest goth.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
3Teeth slipped under my radar until yesterday, now I feel ashamed, this is pretty much everything I'd want from an industrial group.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
New Pig is good. Praise be unto the Lord of Lard.

:pray::worship:

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people
Pig put on a pretty good show last night but honestly I liked En Esch better. It kind of bothered me that Watts needed to read his own lyrics off of a tablet for most of the show.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
Watts was great in Toronto. En Esch too. Even Peter Turns Pirate did the best one-man-band I've seen in a long long time.

I don't think it's a spoiler to say you might hear a few classic songs outside of strict PIG material played during this tour.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going in a week.

Should I wear a pig mask y/n

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people

Wikkheiser posted:

I'm going in a week.

Should I wear a pig mask y/n

Very yes

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Saw Pig and En Esch last night in Tampa and the show was incredible. Tiny venue, but audience interaction was great and the performances were fantastic.

We also got a last minute replacement for the opening act, Ghostfeeder. I was actually really surprised, usually local opening act replacements are terrible but he was fantastic, and it turns out En Esch showed up on his most recent album so it wasn't just a random "oh god who's available" choice. I highly recommend World Fameless if you're into PHM-era NIN with hints of noisier Depeche Mode.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

sethsez posted:

I highly recommend World Fameless if you're into PHM-era NIN with hints of noisier Depeche Mode.
Sounds more Julian-K to me, but maybe its just the vox.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Yeah, that definitely works as well. Which is nice because I love Julien-K (though I wasn't crazy about their newest album... this whole California Noir thing is feeling a bit same-y).

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Been hitting the synthpop. The futurepoopy end of EBM is industrial mellowing into synthpop, so of course there's the synthpop getting more obnoxious Today's review pile: Syntec (cheesy single, but it got my attention by the end), Torul (who I'd never heard of, and I'm busy playing their complete works - they're good!) and Curxes, the synthpoppers whose nice pop album is definitely today's most obnoxious racket. The English synthpop scene is a weird beast I seem to be approaching the edges of.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

The Cleaner posted:

Watts was great in Toronto. En Esch too. Even Peter Turns Pirate did the best one-man-band I've seen in a long long time.

I don't think it's a spoiler to say you might hear a few classic songs outside of strict PIG material played during this tour.

tell me he did Me I Funk, please

spider_ross.avi
Jan 15, 2008

nnGUH
Recently heard this record and it is so good I need to share it here. Raw, minimal, tribal, meditative, and other buzzwords. Strong Esplendor Geometrico vibes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AIa1VnEJK4

Also, who's catching the Cocks' Big-Sexy-Land-Is-30 tour?

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

spider_ross.avi posted:

Recently heard this record and it is so good I need to share it here. Raw, minimal, tribal, meditative, and other buzzwords. Strong Esplendor Geometrico vibes.

I appreciate this post.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

spider_ross.avi posted:

That's fantastic.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'm waiting for 3TEETH to start, and very confused. Most of the people here are younger than me.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Holy gently caress this is amazing

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Failed Nihilist posted:

So I loving hated Combichrist's latest album. It seems like they're trying to dip into the Hot Topic metalcore crowd. Can anyone recommend some good metal-ish aggrotech in lieu of them? I've found Nitronoise to be pretty similar.

Agonoize, Shiv-R, Psyclon Nine, older Angelspit, Distractor, Dioxyde, Hocico, Exemia, Tactical Sekt, Velvet Acid Christ, older DeathBoy, Amduscia, some Limnus, some Dacaboya

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I've been looking for some metal-ish stuff (or metal with lots of electronics) lately too. I like this PREEMPTIVE STRIKE 0.1 cover of Sabaton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvAoGHuIvEc

They do some collaborations with metal bands too, like their most recent EP.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
I can't find a link right now since in on my phone, but project pitchfork is releasing a new album with what appears to be a swank hardcover book. Looks really amazing

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

album link

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

boo_radley posted:

I can't find a link right now since in on my phone, but project pitchfork is releasing a new album with what appears to be a swank hardcover book. Looks really amazing

http://www.project-pitchfork.eu/store/main_bigware_29.php?cName=look-up-im-down-there

Huh looks like I haven't posted about it here. I thought I did but it was probably the Slack channel, then.

Anyway, super stoked! I was really happy with the direction Blood took, this has at least a very unusual name for a Pitchfork album AND it's kind of like the 25-year anniversary album so I'm expecting some really good stuff. Definitely ordering the big hardcover thing with that kickass shirt. Still thinking about whether or not I can afford to go see the tour, Hannover and Hamburg in December would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I don't have a strong urge to have sex with this man, but if he wanted to I probably would.

That .... stache.

boo_radley posted:

Yeah. Also stoked for this. Has anyone heard anything from it yet?

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Sep 20, 2016