Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I spent hours playing the Shareware CD of Hexen as a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

goferchan posted:

The Witness has 2,070 puzzles

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

trying to jack off posted:

i know you probably havent played hexen because beating it without a guide is completely insane since its wandering around in a doom engine game trying to find hidden switches and when you hit them it announces that a door has opened somewhere but gives you no further clues

that was really obnioxious

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I played about an hour of Hexen during my old school fps kick this summer and after only finishing two levels in that timeframe I moved on to Doom II

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hexen has crazier mechanics though and some of Hexen wads are more interesting than the most popular Doom 1 wads. This post courtesy of a 1997 Usenet group or something

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

That's how I felt about heretic it just made me want to play doom instead

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Er maybe I meant heretic. I don't actually know

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I thought Heretic was exceedingly Win and played more of it than Doom... Necromancer gloves FTW.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The heretic weapon set is baller.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's an incredibly good game.

I've spent a lot of time building parties with long term class-change goals in mind, covering all 4 spellbooks and charting out exactly how each character will transition, but I find the navigation of the world confusing, and always end up quitting right around the first town. Last time I made it to the orc fortress, which I guess is right after. The treatment of every area like it's a dungeon makes it difficult to explore. It's a game that really cries out to be remade with some modern concessions, like a minimap and a re-worked UI, and maybe change the look of some of the environments so that they're more easily distinguished from each other, while leaving the mechanics of the game untouched. I love the look of it, from the character portraits to the monster sprites, from the character screen with the suit of armor and magic circle to the sci-fi meets high fantasy setting. I also think that the experience balance and class change system makes of a really versatile, meaty gameplay that rewards adaptation and preparation equally.

I think wiz8 may be the better game, and I've certainly been more successful with it, but Wizardry 7: Crusaders of the Dark Savant is inextricably linked with the feeling of childhood imagination to me.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

In Training posted:

The heretic weapon set is baller.

the tome of power that upgrades all of the weapons and cosmetically changes them too is the coolest. also, entering the doom cheats is excellent.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
one final gamer confession. I spend a lot of time replaying doom, but I almost always do it with a weapons wad, like wwhc_diaz, because I like loving around with new weapons. I almost never play level-based wads like community chest or memento mori, just vanilla doom 2 with new weapons. I do this for about 40 hours a year in my estimation. Doom 2's weapon/enemy balance is exquisite and elegant, but I've played through it vanilla like a million times and I'd rather have new mechanics to play with and see how they stack up than new levels.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

*pretends to listen to that guys last 3 posts* Uh huh. Yeah. hahaha.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

lol

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Grawl posted:

I got a fighting stick (this one) from a buddy and I just don't know what game I'd want to start with to give it a try.

Still looking for gaming stick confessions in the non-sexual kind of way.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

What would people have to confess.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Lmfao

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Grawl posted:

Still looking for gaming stick confessions in the non-sexual kind of way.

i had two of the agetec dreamcast arcade sticks at launch and when i went off to college my mom garage saled them :(

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wormskull posted:

What would people have to confess.

I've thought about getting custom art for my Hori Rap.V4 printed at kinkos but I've never done it.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
heretic had less idiotic push a switch/search an hour for the new hidden area where another switch is style levels than hexen iirc but its been 2 decades since i played either and i have a brain tumor so who cn say really

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

In Training posted:

I've thought about getting custom art for my Hori Rap.V4 printed at kinkos but I've never done it.

Same for my HitBox.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mysterious loyall X posted:

heretic had less idiotic push a switch/search an hour for the new hidden area where another switch is style levels than hexen iirc but its been 2 decades since i played either and i have a brain tumor so who cn say really

Its not a toomah lol

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

mysterious loyall X posted:

heretic is definitely more like doom except with epic fantasy weapons and items

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

hexen 2 uses the quake engine and you can bunnyhop

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i haven't played hexen or a lot of ye ole PC games. in fact the only like og shooters i've played are doom and doom 2, then there's this big gap and i played halo and UT04 and poo poo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

i haven't played hexen or a lot of ye ole PC games. in fact the only like og shooters i've played are doom and doom 2, then there's this big gap and i played halo and UT04 and poo poo

Quake 1 is pretty sick.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
quake 1 is very cool and has a lot of like vertically orientated levels which is very cool and they didn't really again afterwards,

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

quake 1's ost was composed by reznor so i owe it to myself to play through it, i really should get to that soon

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Quake 1 Mission Pack 2 is rear end but it has the best boss in almost all of FPS history, in this gamer's opinion.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

he even did grunts and poo poo for the game which is hilarious to me

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wormskull posted:

Quake 1 Mission Pack 2 is rear end but it has the best boss in almost all of FPS history, in this gamer's opinion.

I didnt even know there were mission packs

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The soundtrack is just subtle industrial ambient with distant screaming and stuff... Pretty drat epic.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

quake 1's ost was composed by reznor so i owe it to myself to play through it, i really should get to that soon

You need to mod in the original OST if you have the steam version, they didnt get the rights or something for the steam release.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

In Training posted:

I didnt even know there were mission packs

One was made by American McGee I think and one was by Raven or whoever made Plutonia for Doom or something like that, and their not that good but one has a sweet huge mural of Poseidon on a wall.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

You need to mod in the original OST if you have the steam version, they didnt get the rights or something for the steam release.

that blows but it doesnt seem like it'd be too much trouble. gonna wait for a sale

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Just buy the Quake CD and put it in your computer while you run the game. IIRC it plays whatever music is in the disk drive.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wormskull posted:

Just buy the Quake CD and put it in your computer while you run the game. IIRC it plays whatever music is in the disk drive.

Who even has a CD drive these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Wormskull posted:

i used the redneck rampage cd for this lol

• Locked thread