Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Paging Peter Watts, world's third most nefarious fish biologist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Oh hey I pawed through all of your poo poo at the refuge, I feel like I've known you for years.

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

hangedman1984 posted:

So why exactly do they think there is a difference between 'driving' and 'traveling'?
Because it's all pseudolegal gobbledygook. According to sovcits, driving is a commercial activity where you drive other people around, while traveling is what you do for yourself. And clearly that means you can't get ticketed for driving with a suspended license, because you don't need one for traveling. Also means speed limits are optional and you can have a couple of pints as long as you don't hit anyone.

It's an arbitrary distinction that just exists so they don't have to abide by the rules.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

hangedman1984 posted:

So why exactly do they think there is a difference between 'driving' and 'traveling'?

Because someone got their license suspended and wanted to keep driving, I mean, travelling by motor vehicle.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/777926725925638144

Linda Beck owns.

https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/777943785581846528

"Your honor, how can we be sure that the FBI didn't poo poo in that ditch?"

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

hangedman1984 posted:

Long story short, there's some language in the Constitution saying that you're not allowed to force people to stay in only one state or town or whatever.

Wikipedia posted:

For much of American history, the right to travel included the right to travel by the vehicle of one's choice, and courts occasionally struck down regional regulations that required licenses or government permission to travel on public roadways. With the advent of the automobile, however, courts began upholding laws and regulations requiring licenses to operate vehicles on roadways.

So they're once again using outdated laws to claim that they don't have to do what the government says, like, say, pay for licenses or insurance.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Bobulus posted:

So they're once again using outdated laws to claim that they don't have to do what the government says, like, say, pay for licenses or insurance.

One Weird Trick For Not Needing To Register Your Car Or Get A Driver's License Discovered By A Sovcit! The DMV Hates It!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

hangedman1984 posted:

A "driver" is a professional. I think it goes back to some old law dictionary definition about a guy driving a team of horses in an occupational capacity. Travelling represents basic freedom of movement, which is protected. Somehow the fact that you are still free to walk wherever without a license doesn't count.

Yeah, I was close. http://www.lawfulpath.com/ref/DLbrief.shtml

quote:

The forgotten legal maxim is that free people have a right to travel on the roads which are provided by their servants for that purpose, using ordinary transportation of the day. Licensing cannot be required of free people, because taking on the restrictions of a license requires the surrender of a right. The driver's license can be required of people who use the highways for trade, commerce, or hire; that is, if they earn their living on the road, and if they use extraordinary machines on the roads. If you are not using the highways for profit, you cannot be required to have a driver's license.

Not sure how all that combines with the other common sovcit idea that the USA government, state governments, etc., are actually private corporations and not legitimate governments at all. If the government is actually a private corporation just pretending to be a government, then all supposedly public property owned by that private corporation must actually be private property, right? A private company has the right to set whatever rules it wants for traveling on it's own private property.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Facebook Aunt posted:

A "driver" is a professional. I think it goes back to some old law dictionary definition about a guy driving a team of horses in an occupational capacity. Travelling represents basic freedom of movement, which is protected. Somehow the fact that you are still free to walk wherever without a license doesn't count.

Yeah, I was close. http://www.lawfulpath.com/ref/DLbrief.shtml

Not sure how all that combines with the other common sovcit idea that the USA government, state governments, etc., are actually private corporations and not legitimate governments at all. If the government is actually a private corporation just pretending to be a government, then all supposedly public property owned by that private corporation must actually be private property, right? A private company has the right to set whatever rules it wants for traveling on it's own private property.

So basically, words and concepts only mean what is most convenient to them at that particular moment.

Internet Webguy posted:

"Your honor, how can we be sure that the FBI didn't poo poo in that ditch?"

I pity the lawyer that has to have defending these morons using the arguments they demand on their record.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
berth certificates

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm not really sure how they think that operating a motor vehicle is a right.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mors Rattus posted:

Your right to travel takes magical precedence over the method.

Yes your honor, technically this is a stolen car, however I had GREAT NEED to return to my domicile and the fact that I am a Free Traveller does not take into account the conveyance.

Or

gently caress you guys I can use my milsurp tank down the highways it's travelling

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

berth certificates

:sureboat:

Mors Rattus posted:

Their concepts of rights aligns more or less directly with "I get to do whatever I want."

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
This is pretty much the best way to sum up sovcit beliefs:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
This was one of my favourite moments of insanity, Franklin Graham in a bearcat coming along to coax David Fry out.

https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/778028336853331968

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Knight posted:

I didn't see this referenced, but Ammon tried to motion for a mistrial because when his lawyer was cross-examining Sheriff Ward he asked about his decision to close the refuge during the takeover. As part of his explanation, Ward mentioned researching the Bundy's and finding out about the couple who murdered two police officers after being forced off the Bundy ranch and draping the body in the Gadsden flag and swastika. The remarks were eventually disregarded.

Lol at asking for a mistrial after testimony that you have elicited.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Mors Rattus posted:

To understand sovcits, you need to know that they accept two things as holy writ, and all their beliefs spring from them:

1) The Constitution is an absolute guarantee of any and all rights contained therein and any law or rule that limits, constrains, or makes them abrogate their rights is automatically invalid and thus they do not have to obey it.

2) Any reading of the Constitution or the law that is semantically coherent is inherently valid.

Taken together, it mean that they can do anything they want because the Constitution guarantees them virtually unlimited freedom. Neither belief, at least in such non-extreme forms, is all that uncommon. Plenty of folks think that the Second Amendment means that they can own nuclear, biological or chemical weapons or that the First Amendment means that Twitter can't ban them for being reprehensible shitlords.

At work, I have to occasionally tell people that we can't do something because Legal thought that the risk was too great. The conversation typically goes like this:

Me: "We can't do that because Legal says there's too much risk."
Them: "But what if we do the exact same thing, but describe it using these different words?"
Me: "That's the same thing."
Them: "Okay, so I know that Legal says we can't do it, but what if we say [crazyass interpretation of the relevant laws, statutes, or regulations]"
Me: "Sorry, but our lawyers don't agree with your crazyass interpretation of the law".
Them: "You need to get new lawyers."
Me: ...

A lot of people seem to view the law as being without interpretation and that a judge is just an impartial arbiter of legal fact and that the law covers all circumstances clearly, so when there's a disagreement in court, all that the judge does is consult the relevant Big Legal Book and communicate the perfect and correct ruling. The idea that the judge could disagree with them or rule against them just doesn't factor in.

Take both of those mindsets to the extreme, and you get the sovcit mindset.

Subterfrugal posted:

Lol at asking for a mistrial after testimony that you have elicited.
Your honor, make him say what I want him to say!

Azathoth has issued a correction as of 04:30 on Sep 20, 2016

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Discendo Vox posted:

Meads v. Meads[/i]
http://www.canlii.org/en/ab/abqb/doc/2012/2012abqb571/2012abqb571.html
That one Canadian decision people are always looking for. Very long and comprehensive- some new movements not covered.

Is it very common for Canadian judges to turn their opinions into weird information pieces like this? I've never seen anything like this in American law, where it is strange and alarming (and sometimes unconstitutional) for a judge to do more than is necessary to decide the case at hand.

I mean at most you get some dicta about hypotheticals. Never a hundred pages of in depth background on an entire category of arguments.

I mean for god sakes it has an epigraph.

Ogmius815 has issued a correction as of 07:18 on Sep 20, 2016

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Your right to travel takes magical precedence over the method.

I mean it fits right in with their inability to see rights as anything other than a binary yes/no and therefore right to bear arms means they should be allowed to own nuclear weapons or whatever

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Ogmius815 posted:

Is it very common for Canadian judges to turn their opinions into weird information pieces like this? I've never seen anything like this in American law, where it is strange and alarming (and sometimes unconstitutional) for a judge to do more than is necessary to decide the case at hand.

I mean at most you get some dicta about hypotheticals. Never a hundred pages of in depth background on an entire category of arguments.

I mean for god sakes it has an epigraph.

Comparative international law isn't my thing, but my understanding is that this is an exceptionally extensive version of a not-uncommon system of practice in Canadian courts, that owes to conventions of UK law. My very broad impression is that the judiciary has greater breadth of power there. Poking around, the English common law concept of "inherent jurisdiction", which is not a part of US legal systems, is a likely factor. If I'm reading it right (and I may well not be), the court in that case has the ability to basically select and rule upon cases it's interested in, and create common law doctrines on their selected decisions to fill in gaps in the jurisprudence. The judge is also the second highest in seniority on the court. In other words, the decision was likely agreed upon by the court, possibly in collaboration with the larger Canadian legal system, as a major project to address sovcits.

Discendo Vox has issued a correction as of 08:22 on Sep 20, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Internet Webguy posted:

This is pretty much the best way to sum up sovcit beliefs:

Didn’t Ron actually have the authority to issue himself a permit, though? He just went about it in a way that wasn’t very convincing.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Platystemon posted:

Didn’t Ron actually have the authority to issue himself a permit, though? He just went about it in a way that wasn’t very convincing.

Ron was hardcore libertarian, but oddly functional in his life despite it. He'd probably carry around such a "permit" regardless but in this case yeah he'd pretty much be able to rubberstamp himself doing whatever the gently caress he wants in Pawnee's parks.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

The Malheur refuge trial is entering its second week, and the government is well into making its case right now. We’ve heard from FBI agents and government employees. On our new episode of “This Land Is Our Land,” we have a piece of evidence the government wants the jury to hear but the defense doesn’t.

OPB's Conrad Wilson joins OPB News Director Anna Griffin for a special mid-week "This Land Is Our Land" update to share what he heard in court.

Subscribe to “This Land Is Our Land” on NPR One, iTunes or wherever you find your podcasts. Find comprehensive trial coverage at OPB.org/ThisLand.

Share your thoughts on the trial with us on Facebook and Twitter, or by emailing us directly at thisland@opb.org.

https://soundcloud.com/thislandisourland/update-refuge-employees-testify-and-contested-bundy-interview

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Ryan Bundy thought Vanilla ISIS was funny.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Well, that OPB reporter is getting subpoenaed.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

berth certificates

You know I have looked high and low for that video recently and cannot find it. Does anyone have a link to it? Guy with glasses and a disturbing turtleneck rambling about docks/docs is all I remember

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Zebulon posted:

Ron was hardcore libertarian, but oddly functional in his life despite it. He'd probably carry around such a "permit" regardless but in this case yeah he'd pretty much be able to rubberstamp himself doing whatever the gently caress he wants in Pawnee's parks.

Not to nitpick the relevant law in comedy show, but I don't think he could issue himself a license to slaughter a pig in the park (what he was trying to do). I imagine he could issue himself a license to do anything that wasn't illegal in the park though.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Zebulon posted:

It's possible to be hardcore libertarian in your beliefs, but still be pragmatic enough to comply with laws and regulations that you believe are unjust but aren't going to be changed by your individual defiance. I used to work with a guy who sincerely believed that drivers licenses shouldn't be a thing and drunk driving laws were unjust, because you should only be punished after you've hit someone, and also said he had "no sympathy" for the office manager who got killed when some nutjob flew a Cessna into an IRS office building. He was actually pretty decent to work with, and seemed to be living a pretty functional life.

It was really interesting the couple of times I managed to corner him; I got him to admit that even if his preferred regime of "no drunk driving laws" resulted in more people maimed and killed, he'd still choose to live in that world instead. I also got him to admit that he really identified as an anarcho-capitalist, but that "anarchy" was a loaded word and "libertarian" was much more publicly acceptable.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Most important tweet today

https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/778312152163639298

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Ogmius815 posted:

no, american judges do it, too. dude includes photos of murdered civil rights pioneers inside the decision pdf

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/778392959129497600

https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/778393254609821697

HAhahahaha

I am so incredibly glad that this cowboy cosplay tactic is what their entire defense hinged on

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Lutha Mahtin posted:

no, american judges do it, too. dude includes photos of murdered civil rights pioneers inside the decision pdf

You have more leeway with a dissent though because it isn't, you know, the law.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Capntastic posted:

https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/778392959129497600

https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/778393254609821697

HAhahahaha

I am so incredibly glad that this cowboy cosplay tactic is what their entire defense hinged on

https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/778414214478123008

haha the prosecution is like "more cowboy than thou".

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
And for a change of pace, Here is Blaine Cooper's wife reading out love letters from Blaine Cooper's mistress.

https://www.facebook.com/100012274127458/videos/208011446284658/

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

IIRC, the purpose of that big Canadian judge thing was basically to be the document everyone else in the Canadian legal system could then cite without having to put any effort in.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Mors Rattus posted:

IIRC, the purpose of that big Canadian judge thing was basically to be the document everyone else in the Canadian legal system could then cite without having to put any effort in.

It appears (again, not my area)that English common law systems generally give their courts much greater latitude regarding hearing cases, and the scope of rulings. This lets the judiciary exhaustively settle issues in one decision that might otherwise require decades of caselaw (or good legislation), but greatly increases their political power and creates potential abuse scenarios.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Jumpingmanjim posted:

And for a change of pace, Here is Blaine Cooper's wife reading out love letters from Blaine Cooper's mistress.

https://www.facebook.com/100012274127458/videos/208011446284658/

Hahhhh

I don't know if it's because it's so far removed from the occupation, but this seems like the craziest poo poo that has come out of it.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/EileenParkTV/status/778365363524251648

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

You were free to work somewhere else federal scum :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If someone says that weren't driving can you take them at their word and book them for not paying due care and attention to the road?