Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

Your best bet would probably be to use the console to spawn in what you had/give yourself XP to whatever level you were at. You can also use it to mark quests completed but I haven't used that so I don't know if it's that simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
i think the nexus has a section for saves, might want to check there too

Pedialyte
Jul 27, 2003

"With the breakdown of the Medieval system, the gods of Chaos, Lunacy, and Bad Taste gained ascendancy." Ignatius was writing in one of his Big Chief tablets.
Great, thanks I'll look into console commands for this.

I did look at the nexus but only found saves with the whole game completed and saves that are character builder nightmares at the beginning of the game.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
Robots. The loving robots.

I mentioned a while back that I was going to do a "new" game (I started a new game and immediately made my character level 203 to make her match my old character) and not do Minutemen to screw around the Wasteland with the DLC stuff - I got rid of over 100 mods just because I didn't think the quality was good, or because they added items to the settlement build menus that just generally made menu navigation 75 times more difficult than it already was, etc. Previously I'd only had Contraptions DLC.

The Robots DLC has turned Codsworth into a murder machine.

I'd said I wasn't going to talk to him, but once I got Ada up and running and saw how crazy the robots could get, I decided that she and Codsworth would make a great pair of deathsquad guards. Without having a whole lot of settlements, the ones that you do have tend to get attacked a whole lot more, and so since I'm based in Red Rocket (with no settlers to worry about, space doesn't matter) and those Red Rust raiders get slaughtered by Codsworth and Ada by the dozens every 5-10 minutes. It's loving silly.

All of my provisioners are sentry robots. Fully upgraded. Well, except that I found out the hard way about the cluster bomb munitions shoulder weapons...like rocket launchers, they'll kill you, your settlers, your companions, your dogs, etc. But...robobrain heads, voltaic armored parts, lightning gun and shock claw or minigun and laser sniper are very lol. I'll just follow them around and laugh as they murder everything.

And those Abernathies are set up pretty nice, with their robot laborers and murder-machine Mr. Handy dual-minigun guards. They will never have to touch dirt again. And Clarabelle is safe and sound with her robot guardians. The FInches are next. I can't get the Warwicks, though. I can't figure out how to get them to give me that supermutant quest.

Hangman's alley...I had no idea bout that chained door. That changes everything. The space is still really small, but kind of neat. I don't know what I'm going to do with it yet because it's hard to grow enough stuff to make it worthwhile, and it's useless as a trading hub because the loving cows get all over the furniture.

But some things are just silly. Sunshine Tidings co-op, for example. I was able to send Profressor Goodfeels to the Mechanist's lair - because he won't shut up even after you shut him down - and set up a few robot farmers and a provisioner, along with some defenses. After a while I'd not had them showing up at as a settlement, so I thought that I'd need to have at least one settler there...I set up a beacon, got one settler, and shut it off. Immediately I lost control of the workshop, and this rear end in a top hat is set up with his own zero-effort slave labor. That's some bullshit.

And now it's time to work on the Drive-in, where all of my robots will eventually bring their stuff to. I'm going to attempt the impossible dream...auto breakdown of all junk, use of every piece of manufacturing machinery controlled by one console - switches, logic gates, counters, the whole deal. I don't even know if it's possible. All I know is that everyone on youtube can only manage to put some shotgun shells together. I can do better. I've got loving charts, man. 31 basic crafting elements, some hoppers, and a dream.

And then a vacation in Maine.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Danyull posted:

What's the solution to explosions in Survival Mode? Especially Raiders with molotovs or missile launchers, sometimes I don't even realize what's going on until I see the red grenade sign flash next to me and then die.

level up a bit.

missile launchers will still wreck your poo poo, but they're rare.

Once you have decent armor and a few levels worth of hp on your belt then molotovs will stop being an issue. Not much you can do about it otherwise considering they machinegun throw these things infinitely with 100% precision while running and shooting in 0.1s.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
You know, that one perk that benefits companions "Inspirational", also stops the robots you build from hurting you. Almost vital when you start building the heavier stuff. Its about 8 on the charisma tree though if you want to get it.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Tombot posted:

You know, that one perk that benefits companions "Inspirational", also stops the robots you build from hurting you. Almost vital when you start building the heavier stuff. Its about 8 on the charisma tree though if you want to get it.

Yep, unfortunately they can still hurt each other, your settlers, and tamed creatures, which turns the hit entities fully hostile, which makes everyone else ruthlessly murder them. Ask me how I know this...

So at level 87 and approximately one zillion hours of playtime I've finally realized what a bad choice giving away Buddy was. Having to trek all the way to Goodneighbor to pick up my Ice Cold Nuka-Cola Darks is becoming obnoxious. Is there any way to take him back? Maybe murder the bar owner or something? I'm on PS4 so using the console isn't an option.

Similarly, if I'd known how annoying constantly seeing the MaxHP - 10 on my status effects screen would be, I never would have given the mole rat disease cure to that drat kid. gently caress 'im. I don't suppose there's a way to find another one? Maybe tap a vein on the kid to distill a cure from his blood? Take the Cannibal perk to eat the kid and absorb his powers? Something?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Auto breakdown of all the junk items in the workshop (and connected settlement workshops if you like) is pretty satisfying.

Manufacturing extended is a great mod.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008

...! posted:

Yep, unfortunately they can still hurt each other, your settlers, and tamed creatures, which turns the hit entities fully hostile, which makes everyone else ruthlessly murder them. Ask me how I know this...

So at level 87 and approximately one zillion hours of playtime I've finally realized what a bad choice giving away Buddy was. Having to trek all the way to Goodneighbor to pick up my Ice Cold Nuka-Cola Darks is becoming obnoxious. Is there any way to take him back? Maybe murder the bar owner or something? I'm on PS4 so using the console isn't an option.

Similarly, if I'd known how annoying constantly seeing the MaxHP - 10 on my status effects screen would be, I never would have given the mole rat disease cure to that drat kid. gently caress 'im. I don't suppose there's a way to find another one? Maybe tap a vein on the kid to distill a cure from his blood? Take the Cannibal perk to eat the kid and absorb his powers? Something?

I don't seem to have that problem for some reason. Then again, I did take the perk before Automatron came out so maybe that changed somthing?

Also to pad out this reply a bit: I also gave away buddy to goodneighbor, but thats ok because it gives me a reason to ever go back there. I also made absolutely sure to never get hit in that quest so I never got the molerat disease to begin with, but I still had to savescum a bit because the amount of ways you can catch it is straight up bananas.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Tombot posted:

Also to pad out this reply a bit: I also gave away buddy to goodneighbor, but thats ok because it gives me a reason to ever go back there. I also made absolutely sure to never get hit in that quest so I never got the molerat disease to begin with, but I still had to savescum a bit because the amount of ways you can catch it is straight up bananas.

getting it because your companion got hit is some straight-up bullshit design

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

JawKnee posted:

getting it because your companion got hit is some straight-up bullshit design

What if your companion was a robot or synth?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

What if your companion was a robot or synth?

You still get it.
You also catch it if you activate the protectron and it gets hit.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

You still get it.
You also catch it if you activate the protectron and it gets hit.

So, it's sympathetic pregnancy moleratitus.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

Robots. The loving robots.
Hangman's alley...I had no idea bout that chained door. That changes everything. The space is still really small, but kind of neat. I don't know what I'm going to do with it yet because it's hard to grow enough stuff to make it worthwhile, and it's useless as a trading hub because the loving cows get all over the furniture.

And then a vacation in Maine.

If you have Wasteland Workshop, my advice is to build vertically in there and use the garden plot to grow food on a different floor than ground level.

Changing all your provisioners to Sentry Bots is pretty hilarious. They're a resource hog to build, but loving destroy anything on the open road.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Speedball posted:

If you have Wasteland Workshop, my advice is to build vertically in there and use the garden plot to grow food on a different floor than ground level.

Changing all your provisioners to Sentry Bots is pretty hilarious. They're a resource hog to build, but loving destroy anything on the open road.

I was building custom provisioners or robosettlers - Sentry arms and heavy weapons, Robobrain torsos so I didn't have to worry about overheating, whatever head caught my fancy (Robobrain or Assaultron for skulguns, usually) and Handy legs rockets for speed and maneuverability. Usually went full Tesla armor and all-gatling-lasers or 1x rocket launcher/gatling laser.

Since finishing NukaQuest, I did build one Sentry in full Space Pimp armor with dual Quantum launchers. :whatup: (Although there's apparently no bling armor for the rear leg goddamit Bethesda.. :argh:) Wish I could remember where I sent it. :v:

Useful note: Pick-Me-Up stations work just fine after recapturing a settlement, no problem. I'm assuming the Still will work, just have to assign someone to it. Settlers will accept assignment to Raider stores and the Tribute Chest, but I don't know that they'll keep the Raider merch-list.

HOWEVER! The Tribute Chest will continue collecting loot, even with no one assigned to it, after recapture.

So, by doing Nuka early, you can take nearly all the settlements and set them up with Raider goodies - if you have a good amount of open space/build ability and power you can create entire fields of :catdrugs: dispensers, throw a Tribute Chest everywhere... and then say :fuckoff: to these goofy sumbitches, and watch your funds roll in without any of the water baron'ing you're used to. Minutemen Cartel, best poo poo in the Commonwealth yo.

If the settlers will sell the same Raider goodies, you won't even have to go back to Nuka World unless you want to. (Gear dealers appear to sell 2x normal ammo amounts, including 7.62 :getin: Plus gang-specific clothes/armor (who cares) and AKs. :black101:)

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

How early can you tackle Nuka World without cheesing it? I'm assuming pretty late on survival, the rad spritzers require a little bit of health to survive

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Does Deacon have any dialogue if you go to The Railroad after becoming Overboss?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

How early can you tackle Nuka World without cheesing it? I'm assuming pretty late on survival, the rad spritzers require a little bit of health to survive

That's a good question. The Gunners outside the Nuka-Monorail are pretty drat tough and high-level, the interior of the Gauntlet is full of nasty bombs and turrets that are easier to avoid if you have sneaking skills. Power Armor is a big help overall with survivability and radiation.

I'd say...maybe 15 or 20 depending on how good you can make your weapons and armor.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
am i really the only person who actively dislikes power armor?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

botany posted:

I hope so, because the Power Armour in Fallout 4 feels great to me and I would love them to carry this forward into every game from now on. Hell, if I could find a mod for a more restricting HUD for power armour, and muffling and electronically enhancing the sounds to make it more immersive I would.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Power Armor becoming a vehicle that you fuel and customize and upgrade is the single best change, all around, they've made to the Fallout series hands down. Power Armor feels like Power Armor instead of just a better coat and pants you slip on after finding it in a drawer or on a dead body.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

botany posted:

no

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

botany posted:

nope, Im with you. It's fine for short blitzes against heavily dangerous areas when I don't feel like stealthing - but the movement is far too bulky and the HUD makes me feel confined

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Magmarashi posted:

Power Armor becoming a vehicle that you fuel and customize and upgrade is the single best change, all around, they've made to the Fallout series hands down. Power Armor feels like Power Armor instead of just a better coat and pants you slip on after finding it in a drawer or on a dead body.

this however was a good design choice - I like the implementation, and prefer it to the FO3/FNV approach, but I dislike using it, so I don't

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

JawKnee posted:

nope, Im with you. It's fine for short blitzes against heavily dangerous areas when I don't feel like stealthing - but the movement is far too bulky and the HUD makes me feel confined

That's actually what I like about it. It's for turning an infantryman into a tank. It should be bulky and confined.

I play a stealth character so my power armor frames are mostly piling up in the Sanctuary garages, but wearing it into the glowing sea for the first time was the most immersive, cinematic moment of the series for me. It feels like being in a one-man tin can that you're hoping keeps you alive in a hostile environment, like a ballistic mechanized space suit.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Should be a bit rarer, imo

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Enigma posted:

That's actually what I like about it. It's for turning an infantryman into a tank. It should be bulky and confined.

I play a stealth character so my power armor frames are mostly piling up in the Sanctuary garages, but wearing it into the glowing sea for the first time was the most immersive, cinematic moment of the series for me. It feels like being in a one-man tin can that you're hoping keeps you alive in a hostile environment, like a ballistic mechanized space suit.

I agree. I wasn't trying to complain about how it's represented - I like that - I just don't like using it. In my mind it's a great way to implement it. The only complaint I really have is that the HUD doesn't go away with no helmet on

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

Or at the very least they shouldn't magically appear in the wasteland with X-01 pieces.

Actually, having 'disabled' or destroyed power armor sets that you can pry pieces off of but can't drive would be a nice change; finding a 'battle scene' with power armor wrecks would be incredibly cool.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

JawKnee posted:

I agree. I wasn't trying to complain about how it's represented - I like that - I just don't like using it. In my mind it's a great way to implement it. The only complaint I really have is that the HUD doesn't go away with no helmet on

Yeah, I gotcha. I'm with you on that. It's a shame because I love the way it works, but that makes it totally useless for my character.

I also agree it should be far rarer. The brotherhood recon team that scuttled its armor did so to keep it from raiders, apparently ignorant to the fact that the raiders have access to shittons strewn about the landscape without having to take on heavily armed brotherhood members. I just pretend there was some major factory or something nearby and Boston is unique in the proliferation of power armor.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Rinkles posted:

This.

The mechanics behind power armor in FO4 are really good. It's a vehicle, it (in theory) has limited fuel, it's strong as gently caress. That all makes sense and is really cool.

There's a few things that hold it back, though. First, it's way too common. There's random suits all over the damned place. If random raiders can cobble together a working suit, why aren't the ones laying all over the place picked clean by now?

Second, the purely RNG leveled-list distribution means that by level 30 you're swimming in X-01 pieces when it's supposed to be rare and powerful. In vanilla FO3, T-51 is locked in a military installation that you can only get to after a fair amount of work. It feels powerful and rare. It feels like a significant reward. In FO4, T-51 spawns at level 11 on any frame you find out in bumblefuck nowhere. It's random, and it becomes about as noteworthy as your average pipe pistol.

Third, fusion cores are common as hell, with rare exception they're always at 100% charge, and eventually they show up in random loot simply because they're ammo for the Gatling Laser. The fuel is supposed to be limiting, but in reality it's just irrelevant. The saving grace only applies to Survival because then Fusion Cores have weight (thus limiting the amount of them you can carry), but even then they last ages and can be extended via perks.

Lastly, there's the whole power armor training thing. It was done deliberately in the earlier games so as to force you to NOT use power armor until the end-game, which is where it shines. In FO4, you get a suit of it in the first five minutes. Granted, that's probably more of a gameplay/style choice, but it makes the armor itself feel less interesting and special. I kinda liked the feeling of power that it gave to you in the earlier games.

They got the mechanics part of the equation working really well, but the distribution and just sheer availability of both the armors themselves and the fusion cores means they just become another average piece of loot. It's a little disappointing, because power armor in this game is REALLY cool. Being able to customize it in various ways, having to maintain it as you take damage... it all works really well. It just feels to me like it needs to be less common.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 20, 2016

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Gonkish posted:

This.

The mechanics behind power armor in FO4 are really good. It's a vehicle, it (in theory) has limited fuel, it's strong as gently caress. That all makes sense and is really cool.

There's a few things that hold it back, though. First, it's way too common. There's random suits all over the damned place. If random raiders can cobble together a working suit, why aren't the ones laying all over the place picked clean by now?

Second, the purely RNG leveled-list distribution means that by level 30 you're swimming in X-01 pieces when it's supposed to be rare and powerful. In vanilla FO3, T-51 is locked in a military installation that you can only get to after a fair amount of work. It feels powerful and rare. It feels like a significant reward. In FO4, T-51 spawns at level 11 on any frame you find out in bumblefuck nowhere. It's random, and it becomes about as noteworthy as your average pipe pistol.

Third, fusion cores are common as hell, with rare exception they're always at 100% charge, and eventually they show up in random loot simply because they're ammo for the Gatling Laser. The fuel is supposed to be limiting, but in reality it's just irrelevant. The saving grace only applies to Survival because then Fusion Cores have weight (thus limiting the amount of them you can carry), but even then they last ages and can be extended via perks.

Lastly, there's the whole power armor training thing. It was done deliberately in the earlier games so as to force you to NOT use power armor until the end-game, which is where it shines. In FO4, you get a suit of it in the first five minutes. Granted, that's probably more of a gameplay/style choice, but it makes the armor itself feel less interesting and special. I kinda liked the feeling of power that it gave to you in the earlier games.

They got the mechanics part of the equation working really well, but the distribution and just sheer availability of both the armors themselves and the fusion cores means they just become another average piece of loot. It's a little disappointing, because power armor in this game is REALLY cool. Being able to customize it in various ways, having to maintain it as you take damage... it all works really well. It just feels to me like it needs to be less common.

One of my biggest complaints with FO4 power armor is that I just don't understand what niche it's supposed to fill. Even somebody with little to no knowledge of the game could conceivably run around in power armor most of the time. Having power armor is better than almost any other alternative save stealth, so it feels like the inclusion of non-powered armor is more of an afterthought to enable a particular playstyle rather than the other way around.

Power armor used to be shorthand for 'late game armor'; now it's supposed to be a playstyle choice along side 'melee or ranged' and it feels a little strange there.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
My power fist/deathclaw gauntlet doesn't work in Power Armour. That said, being able to mod up power armour to become a jump-jetting, punching doomball is neat.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Enigma posted:

Yeah, I gotcha. I'm with you on that. It's a shame because I love the way it works, but that makes it totally useless for my character.

I also agree it should be far rarer. The brotherhood recon team that scuttled its armor did so to keep it from raiders, apparently ignorant to the fact that the raiders have access to shittons strewn about the landscape without having to take on heavily armed brotherhood members. I just pretend there was some major factory or something nearby and Boston is unique in the proliferation of power armor.

I just kind of figure all previous games take place in areas where the BoS has been around operating for decades, and almost all tech has been stripped clean of the area. California just doesn't have much if any power armor laying around because the BoS has spent 200+ years clearing out pre-war areas and hoarding it, similar with DC over a shorter time frame. In Boston, the Brotherhood has just arrived so there's basically still tons of stuff just laying around everywhere.

But I agree distribution doesn't really feel right. By the time you actually come across a raider in power armor, you probably already have a set or three of T45, with some improvements put in, if not already getting your hands on T51 so even though its like garbage tier power armor it becomes just kind of a stylistic choice. I've been using this mod lately which kind of tweaks the leveled lists on power armor so you'll only run across T45 until level 30, and X-01 doesn't start showing up until you're level 70. This mod goes even further and removes power armor from the world, instead you need to hunt down individual pieces and buy your own power armor frames, etc. Haven't tried it to comment on it though.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
Nah, raiders in power armour turn up very early. Hell, there's one more or less next to the Brotherhood police station with a loving fat-man. I encountered him at like level 5 on my first playthrough.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Kokoro Wish posted:

Nah, raiders in power armour turn up very early. Hell, there's one more or less next to the Brotherhood police station with a loving fat-man. I encountered him at like level 5 on my first playthrough.

One close to the Corvega plant that hangs out on a billboard bridge in the town, and one of the ship midway across the bridge near the CIT ruins

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

Magmarashi posted:

One close to the Corvega plant that hangs out on a billboard bridge in the town, and one of the ship midway across the bridge near the CIT ruins

Actually the billboard one was the one I was thinking of, which means it's actually even earlier than what I thought.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
My first encounter was in Outpost Zimonja w/ Boomer. Also fairly early.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

I like the new power armor stuff, the sounds and HUD are cool. I like that it isn't impossible to find suits and fusion cores. The suits have sorta piled up at "home" because I really don't use them very often but I totally dig the difference in feeling I get when I'm trudging around in it.

All the customization stuff really is great, putting in jetpacks was an awesome addition to the game with searching the sandbox.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mendrian posted:

Power armor used to be shorthand for 'late game armor'; now it's supposed to be a playstyle choice along side 'melee or ranged' and it feels a little strange there.

Maybe it needs to be more encumbering. Give it a little slit visor with no peripheral vision, which sometimes fogs up in combat and you have to try to wipe it off while people are shooting at you, and there's this bastard behind you and this suit turns so slowly...

The sort of problems that a squad working together could mitigate so the US Army was fine with it, but are a real bastard for a lone wanderer. Still worth putting up with if you need some serious firepower for something though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I don't know if I like the idea of the armour restricting your vision or hearing, I really hate the fishbowl effect or tunnel vision some games slap on you. The armour is introduced rather early but your main limiting factor is not having enough Fusion Cores to run them for very long or scrap necessary to repair or upgrade them right off the bat.

By the end of the game you're probably swimming in Cores but at the beginning you're only going to want to take the armour out on special occasions rather than running across the wasteland everywhere in it lest you get stranded somewhere when the power runs out. But chiefly it's supposed to turn you into a badass walking tank, which is exactly what it does. Severely hindering the play when they use it kinda goes against that design decision.

• Locked thread