Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

lol at the crawl over there. Americans are all of a sudden super loving concerned about pretrial diversion and rehab and 'compassion' poo poo because it's white people who are being popped for opiates more than anybody else

ugh geez tell me about it. I watched a bbc doc that just released about a WEALTHY town next to me and for the first 15 munutes i was like yea that sucks but then they showed the chearleaders and how one of their friend's friend got arrest RIGHT THERE IN SCHOOL and had to go to rehab or something immediately and I immedalty jumped to devils advocate and thought how would that work on the east side - oh, loving max term adult sentence if possible.

e: for the brits http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0457122/smack-in-suburbia-americas-heroin-crisis

Then iheartradio is running these super caricatured opiate awareness commercials and just missing the point imo

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHkhIjG0DKc

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHzuBOO44c8

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

Robot Pride posted:

i mean having to work in a completely linux infrastructure from a windows machine that has zero native tools for working with linux....it's dumb and annoying

so glad I have a computer job with people who agree it's ok and great to open a window and let the sun shine in

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

lunix

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC8KFQEPolk

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

at motorola i had to keep all of our techs' SecureCRT installs happy, all the dozens of VBscripts, so they could telnet into some linux servers.

Tel loving net.

what was their justification for rejecting ssh

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

abraham linkedin posted:

same poo poo with my last job

"i want a mac"
"macs are only for developers"
"i want a linux workstation"
"m-muh endpoint protection software"

i'm getting a decked out 15" macbook pro for my next job :pcgaming:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

white peoiple have a drug problem like this - dee da deee da too ta tooo

black people have a drug problem like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4o8TeqKhgY

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ubuntu has been about underwear for awhile. nothing new here.

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

taco_fox posted:

so glad I have a computer job with people who agree it's ok and great to open a window and let the sun shine in

the one thing i liked about that place was that they were cool with keeping lights set at chillmode delta/trap house levels. i run a lot so get plenty of sun and this is florida so too much sun to begin with so when i get to work i'm ready to don my headphones with a carafe of coffee and snuggle down to run my fingers over my keyboard for many hours like im finger tweaking carrie ann moss android nipples in the matrix. i'll dig up some more pics. i think i have some of me doing some shameful poo poo like break dancing or whatever

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Necc0 posted:

i'm getting a decked out 15" macbook pro for my next job :pcgaming:

i got one of those for my current job. it's extremely good. i like the force-click trackpad a lot.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

in design school some of my classmates gave a presentation where they had a bunch of adjectives to describe their product, and they had little icons for each

one of the adjectives was "seamless" and for whatever reason they decided to use a picture of a girl in a "seamless" bra. college kids, whatever.

the professor was amaaaaaazingly insulted by this for some reason though and spent several minutes after the presentation ripping them apart, yelling at them for being unprofessional and not taking the task seriously etc.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

what was their justification for rejecting ssh

It's too difficult to manage keys. We prefer our existing way.

Because once a month, the walmart root password changes. Yes, you telnet in as root. And they won't send the new password over electronic means.

So, every vendor that needs access sends a rep over to the home office. They sit in the lobby and wait their turn. After 1-3 hours, you are called back to the Operations department and they write the new root password on a Post-it note. "Don't lose this," they say.

And that is how the biggest retailer in america circulates root to every server in every store in the United States.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

akadajet posted:

ubuntu has been about underwear for awhile. nothing new here.

is that shadowhawk

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

one amazing trick apollodorus of damascus doesn't want you to know!

hahahahaha

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Elder Postsman posted:

i got one of those for my current job. it's extremely good. i like the force-click trackpad a lot.

i'm wondering

a- how long it's going to take me to get used to it
b- how unacceptable it will be that other laptops don't have it whenever i have to use a client rig

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

Because once a month, the walmart root password changes. Yes, you telnet in as root. And they won't send the new password over electronic means.

So, every vendor that needs access sends a rep over to the home office. They sit in the lobby and wait their turn. After 1-3 hours, you are called back to the Operations department and they write the new root password on a Post-it note. "Don't lose this," they say.

And that is how the biggest retailer in america circulates root to every server in every store in the United States.

lol, you too?

Everything for everyone is transmitted as poo poo. I did digital fingerprinting/background checks and that poo poo used smtp lol

this poo poo had fingerprints AND ssn

e: in practice it seems like everyone sets everything up as root. because, i dunno figuring out anything more containerized is for loving nerds

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Necc0 posted:

i'm wondering

b- how unacceptable it will be that other laptops don't have it whenever i have to use a client rig

not long, and extremely.

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

Jonny 290 posted:

lul marf

isn't logging in with telnet defacto sending the password across electronic means? in the clear no less? does telnet even hash or anything? this is awesome...it's amazing what's under the hood of the world's richest globo corps

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Necc0 posted:

i'm wondering

all non-mac laptops are trash in terms of build quality and trackpad. you'll immediately hate using cheap plastic-y windows laptops.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
http://i.imgur.com/yjzND2Q.mp4

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

KoRMaK posted:

e: in practice it seems like everyone sets everything up as root. because, i dunno figuring out anything more containerized is for loving nerds

"computars!!!"

*throws hands up in the air*

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

KoRMaK posted:

In other news, here's some human music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4sI4aHTIzc

speaking of, yospos might like the new sylvan esso because it's great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LEmDEZVa5g

and because it specifically mentions sucking american dick, which is one of the big interests around here

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Jonny 290 posted:

i love stories like this because i've got coworkers who are always all "well, that's <company we work for> for you!" as though doing things in a hosed up way is unique to this company, lol

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
i mean i'm already that way after using my personal macbook pro with it's super-good trackpad and it's just difficult for me to envision a trackpad that's even better

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Robot Pride posted:

lul marf

isn't logging in with telnet defacto sending the password across electronic means? in the clear no less? does telnet even hash or anything? this is awesome...it's amazing what's under the hood of the world's richest globo corps

the reason that i am 110% sympathetic to hillary setting up their own email server is not because of any gently caress You Republicans mindset, but i've read the reports on how loving awful government and campaign IT is, and I completely believe every word.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

akadajet posted:

all non-mac laptops are trash in terms of build quality and trackpad. you'll immediately hate using cheap plastic-y windows laptops.

sometimes i have to use one of the dells that other people get and oh my god that rough plastic trackpad is just the WORST. and you can't even click it, you gotta use the dumb buttons.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Jonny 290 posted:

the reason that i am 110% sympathetic to hillary setting up their own email server is not because of any gently caress You Republicans mindset, but i've read the reports on how loving awful government and campaign IT is, and I completely believe every word.

i saw this poo poo firsthand working for an IT audit of the DoS in 2012 after hillary was already long gone. they were still using windows xp and didn't have a spam filter

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

lol this is a new angle for me, and yea it makes sense

I got a lenovo t540p recently, trackpad is poo poo but im used to it so im super effecient with it and its an i7 with a bunch of ram so I guess what I'm saying is theres good things out there for dev other than mac

lenovo4business.lyfe

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

Jonny 290 posted:

dude, i worked at a classified lab for years where we had both siprnet (SECRET) and unclas machines on every desktop (240+ desks) and was the sole systems guy for all of our unix/linux machines to include the networking gear like the crypto that we had to re-key once per month

i personally KNOW how lovely it is and then you have republicans on the one hand deriding the gov workers for lovely work but when hillary goes out to a private free-market firm they act like the gov system is the bastion of security and correctness

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I cant wait to see what kind of mining rig Trump intalls in that NSA center

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx
btw, if you have never been on the siprnet it is filled with people running webservers with ads about a car they are selling or a giant html page with links to every song of their music library you can click to download like a giant retarded napster and other poo poo like this....it's like loving geocities but worse

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Elder Postsman posted:

sometimes i have to use one of the dells that other people get and oh my god that rough plastic trackpad is just the WORST. and you can't even click it, you gotta use the dumb buttons.

also

lol

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Robot Pride posted:

dude, i worked at a classified lab for years where we had both siprnet (SECRET) and unclas machines on every desktop (240+ desks) and was the sole systems guy for all of our unix/linux machines to include the networking gear like the crypto that we had to re-key once per month

i personally KNOW how lovely it is and then you have republicans on the one hand deriding the gov workers for lovely work but when hillary goes out to a private free-market firm they act like the gov system is the bastion of security and correctness

I work for a federal agency and we literally have typewriters still because nobody was allowed to edit PDFs to fill out their reporting forms.

I also have to fax things to myself in order to scan anything.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

whoa, but its all protected behind a SECRET clearance. So the RIAA can't ever sue probably.

So, its like the darkweb in a way. except even more protected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

KoRMaK posted:

whoa, but its all protected behind a SECRET clearance. So the RIAA can't ever sue probably.

So, its like the darkweb in a way.

the dumbest darkweb

• Locked thread