Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ewar Woowar posted:

Argentina were great in that first half but no team can seem to deal with the impact our subs make. So much loving depth.

It's really a testament to the clear succession plan of players that Hansen worked on. They also go with a mindset of "we've got 23 guys in the squad" rather than "15 + 8." It also helped that while Aaron Smith was losing his rag with Joubert, Hansen could swap him out with TJ Perenara, who's been playing some of the best rugby of his career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/775041994129375237

hope he has an nz jersey to wear to the hearing

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Swan Curry posted:

hope he has an nz jersey to wear to the hearing

Not even sure an AB jersey would save him from that one, I don't think he's going to be playing Rugby for quite a long time.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Jesus loving christ that's a horror. What's the maximum penalty you can get for that?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

fallingdownjoe posted:

Jesus loving christ that's a horror. What's the maximum penalty you can get for that?

Three years is the maximum penalty so hopefully that's what they give him but that borders on assault and might land him with a criminal charge.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Well, you'd have to wonder what more you'd need to do to get the maximum.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Sub-Zero spine rip fatality, perhaps?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

fallingdownjoe posted:

Well, you'd have to wonder what more you'd need to do to get the maximum.

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

Leinster pulling away a bit here against Edinburgh. Murrayfield always looks so empty and it sounds like they're playing in a cave.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Piutau is just embarrassing people, he ran Jonathan Davies over in the first half and has those silly kiwi offloads that make everyone else look like clumsy children.

E: Luke Marshall with a concussion by the looks of it :( he's had like 5 in the last couple of seasons I really hope they shut him down for a long time.

MyChemicalImbalance fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 16, 2016

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

SomeDrunkenMick posted:

Leinster pulling away a bit here against Edinburgh. Murrayfield always looks so empty and it sounds like they're playing in a cave.

Thankfully moving to a smaller stadium in January.

Leinster really didn't need to do anything that game. Edinburgh were very poor and even with Leinster switching off for most of the second half, Edinburgh's attack was just terrible.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Piutau is just embarrassing people, he ran Jonathan Davies over in the first half and has those silly kiwi offloads that make everyone else look like clumsy children.

It's a shame he left as he'd have had plenty of opportunities with the injuries we've had.

Also looking forward to tonight's game. Current form should show us winning comfortably but South Africa always have the ability to step up.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
This new haka remains completely underwhelming :geno:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ball's bounce seems to be awkward tonight.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Zebre were 22-10 up against Connacht at half time and then the match had to be abandoned due to very poor weather conditions. The Italian teams just can't catch a break at times.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Vaders Jester posted:

Zebre were 22-10 up against Connacht at half time and then the match had to be abandoned due to very poor weather conditions. The Italian teams just can't catch a break at times.

Treviso only lost by 54 points tonight.

The Ospreys apparently set a new World Record, by receiving the "Four Tries" Bonus Point for 10 games in a row. It's a shame we have to go to Ulster next. We have some exciting whitewashes coming up against Cardiff Blues and Newcastle Falcons :{

Tyma fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 17, 2016

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Tyma posted:

Treviso only lost by 54 points tonight.

The Ospreys apparently set a new World Record, by receiving the "Four Tries" Bonus Point for 10 games in a row. It's a shame we have to go to Ulster next. We have some exciting whitewashes coming up against Cardiff Blues and Newcastle Falcons :{

Only 54 points. They're on an upward bounce then... :P

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...
Just caught up with the highlights for the RNC games (was nobody watching?). That pass from Dane Coles to Whitelock for his try was just ridiculous for a hooker. Coles other two assists weren't bad either.

The All Blacks are on another planet. They're going to smash the Lions next year.

Painkiller fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Sep 18, 2016

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Painkiller posted:

Just caught up with the highlights for the RNC games (was nobody watching?). That pass from Dane Coles to Whitelock for his try was just ridiculous for a hooker. Coles other two assists weren't bad either.

The All Blacks are on another planet. They're going to smash the Lions next year.

People were watching, it just isn't even worth commenting on anymore.

They totally should've awarded TJ that try.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Painkiller posted:

The All Blacks are basically far and away from their nearest competition. The All Blacks have already sewn up the tournament, as they're on 20 competition points, with a try-scoring bonus point in each of their 4 fixtures, and in second place is Australia on 9 with 2 rounds to go. The maximum that the Wallabies can get is 10 competition points, assuming they win both away fixtures in Argentina and South Africa.

I did a bit of maths the other day, to look at the All Blacks' performance in the first four rounds of the Rugby Championship. Their winning margin in the Rugby Championship tests has been 29 points (rounded down from 29.25) with an average of 6 tries per test in the 4 played so far (they've scored 24 so far).

In their last 5 tests (Rugby Champs plus test 3 against Wales), their average winning margin becomes 31.4, with a total of 30 tries in 5 tests (so their average remains at 6 per test).

Overall, (Rugby Champs plus full 3 test series against Wales) their winning margin drops down a bit to 27 (Wales were fairly resilient in the first couple of tests, and the winning margins there were a far more respectable 18 and 14) with an average of 5 to 6 tries per test this year (5.7).

Part of their dominance comes from
A) Australia being at a particularly low ebb, where the team is/has gone through their customary implosions and I wouldn't be surprised if they leave the SA/Arg legs of their Rugby Champs campaign empty-handed. There are also massive issues with Cheika's selections, where he seems very reluctant to pull the trigger with some players, and overly eager to retain others. He's too eager to chop-and-change combinations, never letting them settle in. Look at how many different second-row combinations he's used in the last 10 tests, and then compare it to the Springboks of the mid-2000s to early-2010s, where it was always Bakkies Botha and Victor Matfield, or the All Blacks in the late-2000s~early-2010s where it was always Brad Thorn and Sam Whitelock - which has seamlessly transitioned to Brodie Retallick and Sam Whitelock. The point is, these are settled combinations that are proven. Have any of the second rows under Cheika had that chance? You also get some seriously poor decision-making by players, like Michael Hooper attempting to take line-outs and defenders having no idea what to do because they don't seem to trust their patterns (something that was very obvious in the Bledisloe tests). If they're getting huffy and defensive about what Ted said about them recently, then that's their prerogative, but a wins over an inexperienced Sprinboks side or an exhausted Argentinian team should not be considered a sign that they've fully turned the corner.

B) South Africa going through what the ABs did in 1998 where they lose a raft of players with the whole "develop the next generation" part being neglected - further exacerbated by how quickly their players (and those that constitute the depth) are being offered contracts in Europe after their initial Springbok selection. It's hard to begrudge those players taking up offers from Europe, rather than stick around for a basket case administrative body that is more concerned with the politics of appointments rather than the performance of the national team, especially when they might have a fairly short shelf-life compared to other professions, but the result of that is that a young up-and-coming player from a team like Bath that plays in the backrow would be getting a lot more out of someone like Francois Louw, than a young, emerging talent in South Africa that just got recruited to the Stormers, where he used to play. They've been getting some gutsy wins, like their series win against Ireland, but their last 3 results (away losses to the Pumas, Wallabies and All Blacks) is something that was inevitable for this side - although there are some encouraging signs - their overall selection is generally pretty good, deserving players like Warren Whiteley are actually playing very well at the test level and Elton Jantjies is starting to show signs that he may yet become a test standard 10 (I genuinely felt bad for him on Saturday, since he was actually having a great game until some errors crept in and he couldn't recover. Once he learns to handle the odd error, he could be a pretty drat fine player). The real long-term concern area I can see for them is their scrum, which has struggled a fair bit and I'm not convinced their starting props are up to snuff? Aren't there any decent-quality tighthead props in South Africa? I mean, Jannie du Plessis had his share of critics, and he was no Phil Vickery or Carl Hayman, but at least he was solid enough there that the Sprinboks scrum generally could at least gain parity against their opponents.

C) Argentina still a comparatively developing nation that are still well behind the other 3 overall, where they can occasionally pull off a win against the Wallabies or Springboks, but really can't hold out for the full 80. It might be a fitness issue, or they're struggling to adapt and keep up with the pace of the game down here, but in their case, it's a long game and compared to where they were in 2012, they've developed immensely.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 20, 2016

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

I'm on my phone and I can't be bothered quoting your post to pull out the relevant paragraph, but I'd point to the fact that hopefully the Springbok forcing a quota of players will help them immensely in the future. While there will be a transitional period where they will suffer, in 5-10 years time they have the potential to be terrifying if money is actually being forced to funnel down to the impoverished clubs.
And this is something that should happen. I think everyone agrees that rugby will be a better game if the complete dominance of the All Blacks goes away.
I'm pretty vastly ignorant of the Northern Hemisphere sides. Anyone care to weigh in om what they need to do to step up?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

The Rabbi T. White posted:

if money is actually being forced to funnel down to the impoverished clubs.

:lol:

In other news, Barrett Banter is best banter

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

butros posted:

:lol:

In other news, Barrett Banter is best banter

How the gently caress *do* you stop Smith, Barrett and Smith?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I'm on my phone and I can't be bothered quoting your post to pull out the relevant paragraph, but I'd point to the fact that hopefully the Springbok forcing a quota of players will help them immensely in the future. While there will be a transitional period where they will suffer, in 5-10 years time they have the potential to be terrifying if money is actually being forced to funnel down to the impoverished clubs.
And this is something that should happen. I think everyone agrees that rugby will be a better game if the complete dominance of the All Blacks goes away.
I'm pretty vastly ignorant of the Northern Hemisphere sides. Anyone care to weigh in om what they need to do to step up?

I do feel that the performance of the majority of the black/coloured players in the side are warranted, and any suggestion that the majority of those selected this year are there on a quota can safely be put to bed. There's definitely the makings of a good to great team in there, but I wonder if Coetzee would be able to achieve that soon enough.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

In further proof of the utter stupidity of the new SR format, the 2017 fixtures came out, and the Tahs are only playing the Reds and Brumbies once, in Brisbane and Sydney respectively. The two biggest rivalries in Aussie Rugby are only given one game, which means both the Tahs and the Brumbies lost their biggest gate... Meanwhile the SA teams get to dick around with themselves, Japan and the Argies only to find out in crunch time how badly they compare to the Kiwis. At least we know for sure after Rd 2 that there is no hope :)

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
In happier news, it looks like Chris Ashton is about to get a substantial ban for biting.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

How the gently caress *do* you stop Smith, Barrett and Smith?

Snipers.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Slow Aaron Smith down at the breakdown and target the midfield so that Barrett's options are closed off and Ben Smith is unable to do much?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Vagabundo posted:

Slow Aaron Smith down at the breakdown and target the midfield so that Barrett's options are closed off and Ben Smith is unable to do much?

Yeah, but thats tantamount to saying "just catch the sun in a net so we can have a few extra hours sunlight". It's beyond the ken of mortals.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
Chris Ashton's hearing is still going on which reminds me of my favourite statistic from last year. Sean O'Brien's hearing for punching Pascal Pape lasted 6 hours and 6 minutes, meaning he spent 45 more minutes in the hearing than England did in the World Cup

lordmaf
Jul 23, 2007

Swan Curry posted:

Chris Ashton's hearing is still going on which reminds me of my favourite statistic from last year. Sean O'Brien's hearing for punching Pascal Pape lasted 6 hours and 6 minutes, meaning he spent 45 more minutes in the hearing than England did in the World Cup

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/37424295

And banned for 13 weeks.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

tarbrush posted:

In happier news, it looks like Chris Ashton is about to get a substantial ban for biting.

Substantial? have you seen any England player citings before?

Coming off a 10 week ban for gouging gets the minimum recommended.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

So he's caught and banned for gouging, then caught and banned for biting, and both cases seem to be the absolute minimum recommended punishment? Bullshit.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

lenoon posted:

So he's caught and banned for gouging, then caught and banned for biting, and both cases seem to be the absolute minimum recommended punishment? Bullshit.

Well, see, he's English, therefore he's a good lad, therefore he couldn't possibly have done them things that he did.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Ah English Rugby - what a shower of bastards.

lordmaf
Jul 23, 2007

lenoon posted:

Ah English Rugby - what a shower of bastards.

Unfortunately the "being a oval office" title is not just reserved to English rugby

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/37405982

Did happen in England so maybe there's your correlation

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

tarbrush posted:

Well, see, he's English, therefore he's a good lad, therefore he couldn't possibly have done them things that he did.

The same is true of the Irish.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

What happened to the French bloke?

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Glasgow have apparently signed some yank called Langilangi Haupeakui. Anyone who watched the PRO rugby know if he is any good?

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-union/glasgow-warriors/glasgow-sign-human-locomotive-langilangi-haupeakui-1-4235641

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

HappyCamperGL posted:

Glasgow have apparently signed some yank called Langilangi Haupeakui. Anyone who watched the PRO rugby know if he is any good?

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-union/glasgow-warriors/glasgow-sign-human-locomotive-langilangi-haupeakui-1-4235641

Doesn't matter if he's good now. Glasgow have a way of turning players into loving gods and then selling them to the French.