Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Razzled posted:

I mean the Tuono is pretty special in that the lines and cylinder is so close to the engine that it roasts the fluid anyway so the rear brake has a dead feeling almost immediately regardless of how often you change it. I pretty much only use it as a hill assist now

Haha, yeah. I've got the same model Tuono and the rear will only hold on a hill if I'm really stomping on it. There's a set of lights on a hill near my house that I have to wait at every morning and sometimes if I'm still a bit woolly I forget to apply enough pressure and start creeping backwards. Wakes me up real good.

Genuinely surprised that's the only issue I've had with that bike, btw. Very disappointing vis a vis the italian experience.

*touches wood*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I use my rear brake to come to a sick skid stop in gravel

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Rear brake is also quite useful going downhill in dirt.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I slam the rear brake only in the rain, for giggles & skids

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I only use the rear brake because the front is only for if you have no other option but to throw yourself over the bars.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I only use the rear brake because the front is only for if you have no other option but to throw yourself over the bars.

Layer Dan Lever, for emergency use only.

I wish my front brake did anything, hooray drums. At least I never have to bleed anything

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I guess Harley riders do that right? If youre not really fanging it you can get away with using 20% of your braking power all the time. Seems weird though, man.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

"Had to Endo-down" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
If I'm using any more than a tiny finger of brake for turns, then I'm going too fast down the straight parts.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

"Had to Endo-down" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Idiot pulled right out in front of me, so I did the only thing I could, I endo'd right over the car to safety.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I actually did avoid a crash on my bicycle like that once.

I mean, I still ended up flat on my back in the middle of the road, but the girl I'd been about to crash into was fine.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 20, 2016

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

PaintVagrant posted:

I guess Harley riders do that right? If youre not really fanging it you can get away with using 20% of your braking power all the time. Seems weird though, man.

Those big V-twins engine brake so hard I can imagine not feeling the need to practice proper braking.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

clutchpuck posted:

If I'm using any more than a tiny finger of brake for turns, then I'm going too fast down the straight parts.

Not all of us have Eric Buell's Wacky Braking Contraption.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

M42 posted:

I slam the rear brake only in the rain, for giggles & skids

Same, but to feel the reassuring thunk of the ABS, like the minor smiting of a slightly peeved God.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Marxalot posted:

Not all of us have Eric Buell's Wacky Braking Contraption.

Maybe you misunderstand; the fun is not in going plaid on the straight sections, it's in not slowing down for the turns.

When I'm riding pace I use the front brake primarily to encourage weight transfer rather than changing my speed.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 20, 2016

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I finally attached a top case to my MV. Getting the rack on was kind of a pain, but that's a lot of weight off my shoulders, so I am super pumped for taking longer trips :neckbeard:

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

clutchpuck posted:

Maybe you misunderstand; the fun is not in going plaid on the straight sections, it's in not slowing down for the turns.

When I'm riding pace I use the front brake primarily to encourage weight transfer rather than changing my speed.

Maybe you misunderstand, some of us have one rotor with a 2 piston caliper and cheap brakepads :v:

And the Only Uses Rear Brake goon.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Installed 1.25 in handlebar risers on the Ducati. At first I wasn't sure it did enough to the ergos to mean anything. After much more riding, I can say it completely fixes the hideous ergos of the bike. Not only that, the bike "feels" lighter and cornering is infinitely easier and more natural. As an added bonus, the controls and clutch are all easier and completely natural to use, now.

I am very happy, and did not expect it to be so easy to install (no change in cables/wires).

I also installed a relay + two 800lum aux lights I had sitting around. The headlight on the duc is just the absolute worst, and the cyclops doesn't fit.

"Ok ducati, your little tank clasp system is cute and all, but I still have to unhook everything and remove, because it's just slotted into something at the back and-IS THAT A HINGE?!"

"Wait... that means I can probably...."

:dogbutton: :aaaaa: (yes I found the prop for the tank in the tool kit later on) That is so brilliant. Of course, servicing the valves is probably still a total bitch.

Bonus Italian!

I wasn't really happy with them at first, in both ruining the classic look on the bike, and blending poorly with the incan headlight. Now, I don't think they really stand out, being installed so high and tight. The beam took getting used to, but now I like the warm center for colors, and the general wash of high output everywhere else. They are only 10degree 800 lum each, but are a night and day difference. Triggered by the high beam switch, of course.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Coydog posted:

Installed 1.25 in handlebar risers on the Ducati. At first I wasn't sure it did enough to the ergos to mean anything. After much more riding, I can say it completely fixes the hideous ergos of the bike. Not only that, the bike "feels" lighter and cornering is infinitely easier and more natural. As an added bonus, the controls and clutch are all easier and completely natural to use, now.

I am very happy, and did not expect it to be so easy to install (no change in cables/wires).

I also installed a relay + two 800lum aux lights I had sitting around. The headlight on the duc is just the absolute worst, and the cyclops doesn't fit.

"Ok ducati, your little tank clasp system is cute and all, but I still have to unhook everything and remove, because it's just slotted into something at the back and-IS THAT A HINGE?!"

:dogbutton: :aaaaa: (yes I found the prop for the tank in the tool kit later on) That is so brilliant. Of course, servicing the valves is probably still a total bitch.

Bonus Italian!

I wasn't really happy with them at first, in both ruining the classic look on the bike, and blending poorly with the incan headlight. Now, I don't think they really stand out, being installed so high and tight. The beam took getting used to, but now I like the warm center for colors, and the general wash of high output everywhere else. They are only 10degree 800 lum each, but are a night and day difference. Triggered by the high beam switch, of course.

A hinged flip-up fuel tank isn't particularly uncommon, especially on newer bikes. I just wish I had the proprod for my SV650's fuel tank, it's the one thing that was missing from the toolkit when I got it.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Coydog posted:

Bonus Italian!

Where was this post two weeks ago when I could have used the information that there was a prop for the tank in the toolkit all along

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Coydog posted:

You gotta pull the air box, but the biggest pain in the rear end is if you have to shim the valves, as that requires that oooone tiny spot in the stroke where you can slide the rocker out of the way. Make sure to block the oil return hole with a bolt on a safety wire, before a collet decides to climb down it. And speaking of collets, have extras because you're gonna shoot at least one across your driveway when your tool slips off the lifter. Have fun!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
"What did you do to your ride today?"

I set it on fire because of the things Slim Pickens told me.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
New tires front and back, Heidenau k60 silica. Most offroady tires I've run on my transalp. You notice that they're abit more rumbly but it's not annoying vibrations. Will be interesting to try them out on more looser stuff/gravel this weekend.
Also changed one ball bearing on the front as it had a slight loose feel with some play in it, looks like bad manufacturing quality, only had them 10k km.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I might have just lined up a buyer for the ducati that's just barely over what I have into it right now. Buddy of mine, took to it instantly, and is in need of a good first bike that isn't the brand new showroom bike he was saving up for. I'll still do the belts, because I'm a masochist. If he buys it, I'll consider I've done a good deed for a new rider so they can get out there in time for fall, and have enjoyed the "ducati experience" for a week or two for free.

Easy come, easy go.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Recovered it. Police called me at 5 AM.

So that's where the bastards took you.

Sigh.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Wohoo! :toot:

Did they catch the dickless oval office that stole it too?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

makka-setan posted:

Wohoo! :toot:

Did they catch the dickless oval office that stole it too?

Yes, even made the Twitter police blotter/account thingy.

https://twitter.com/Hordalandpoliti/status/778799494112555009

It's maximum 21 years imprisonment and no torture in Norway, but there has to be some sort of exception for bike theft. Right hand severed by chain and sprocket?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Ola posted:

Yes, even made the Twitter police blotter/account thingy.

https://twitter.com/Hordalandpoliti/status/778799494112555009

It's maximum 21 years imprisonment and no torture in Norway, but there has to be some sort of exception for bike theft. Right hand severed by chain and sprocket?

They'll import a Buell for him to ride. :v:

I knew you'd get your bike back. It's too ugly to sell. Have you got it running alright?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It's running ok. That rod noise I thought I heard wasn't there now, it probably just ran on three after I bump started it the day before it got stolen.

Will see how much insurance thinks the lock cylinder repair comes to. It might total the bike, which I wouldn't be too uncomfortable with. They did ride it for 50-60 km or so, who knows how. At least it would get a known grave.

Unlike the thieves who will be thrown in the moat.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Some times I wish we still hanged people in the town square for certain crimes like murder, child abuse, motorcycle theft and not using your turn signals.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Chichevache posted:

They'll import a Buell for him to ride. :v:

typical European soft punishment

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Collateral Damage posted:

Some times I wish we still hanged people in the town square for certain crimes like murder, child abuse, motorcycle theft and not using your turn signals.

Surely motorcycle theft would fall under hoss thievery, and there's gotta still be a jurisdiction that hangs for hoss thievery

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Collateral Damage posted:

People who check cell phones in movie theaters are sociopaths and the only way to cure that disease is execution.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Ola posted:

It's running ok. That rod noise I thought I heard wasn't there now, it probably just ran on three after I bump started it the day before it got stolen.

Will see how much insurance thinks the lock cylinder repair comes to. It might total the bike, which I wouldn't be too uncomfortable with. They did ride it for 50-60 km or so, who knows how. At least it would get a known grave.

Unlike the thieves who will be thrown in the moat.

Just a heads up, if they total it out and you buy it back, I bought a lock+ignition+key for the cx500 turbo for just over $23 US via ebay.co.uk . Had the new tumbler re-keyed to match my old key and I was in business.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

SaNChEzZ posted:

Just a heads up, if they total it out and you buy it back, I bought a lock+ignition+key for the cx500 turbo for just over $23 US via ebay.co.uk . Had the new tumbler re-keyed to match my old key and I was in business.

Thanks for the tip!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

clutchpuck posted:

typical European soft punishment
Not if it's a Blast

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

The only thing 'hard' about a Blast is how hard it is to like one.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Phy posted:

Surely motorcycle theft would fall under hoss thievery, and there's gotta still be a jurisdiction that hangs for hoss thievery
Unfortunately it seems horse theft isn't (and legally never was) a capital offence in any state. The worst recent case I could find was a a woman who stole five horses, killed one and let the other four escape who was sentenced to 60 years in jail.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

God bless Norway's finest :norway:

#suzukilivesmatter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Ola posted:

Thanks for the tip!

I should have added, it was new old stock, not some third party junk.