Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They needed the better processor for SNES emulation. Home brewers have installed those apps on OG 3dses, they run like poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Anidav posted:

NepNep volume XXIV

genuinely more exciting than anything coming out for the Wii U

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

paco650 posted:

The SNES virtual console stuff for 3DS is N3DS-only because ???

The New 3DS processor is like 800MHz while the O3DS is like 200MHz (or something super low), it's the only way.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's got a surprising amount of upcoming retail releases

I suppose you're right. Then again, Japanese developers like to keep supporting sony consoles and handhelds long after their official lifecycle is over. After that though, I wonder if we'll see a move to the NX for their niche title needs.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

greatn posted:

They needed the better processor for SNES emulation. Home brewers have installed those apps on OG 3dses, they run like poo poo.

thank god Nintendo has finally delivered a handheld powerful enough to shoulder the crushing technical demands of super mario world.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Do you know what low level emulation is?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

FPzero posted:

I suppose you're right. Then again, Japanese developers like to keep supporting sony consoles and handhelds long after their official lifecycle is over. After that though, I wonder if we'll see a move to the NX for their niche title needs.

sony already admitted vita is a legacy console. nintendo will get those games too when they come through with more power i'd guess.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

I get why you couldn't emulate the SNES on og 3DS, but I'm saying Nintendo got to set the technical standard for handheld videogaymen and buddy they set that standard at 200Mhz until like, 2014.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
And if it isn't region locked that means all the titty games you can handle.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

greatn posted:

Why do people keep making fake products with words that are so common it would be impossible to google. No company would ever use "Go" "Play" or "On" as a product name.

This reminded me of PSPGo

Whatever the NX is it can't fail worse than PSPGo

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

paco650 posted:

thank god Nintendo has finally delivered a handheld powerful enough to shoulder the crushing technical demands of super mario world.

Emulation is far more demanding than porting. The GBA could run Super Mario World.

Isn't the rule of thumb still that for proper, quality emulation you need hardware 20x more powerful than the hardware the game originally ran on?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

well last night i finally managed to completely break the right-bumper button on my majora's mask 3DSxl

so now the big question is do i just hold out for an NX or do i get this fixed or what? lend me your advice

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Patter Song posted:

Emulation is far more demanding than porting. The GBA could run Super Mario World.

Isn't the rule of thumb still that for proper, quality emulation you need hardware 20x more powerful than the hardware the game originally ran on?

Any generic number like that is going to be 100% bullshit. It depends on both the original hardware and the hardware you're emulating on in ways that aren't factors of power but rather differences in instruction sets. If a specific, common instruction was 20x faster on the original hardware then sure you're going to need hardware that's 20x more powerful to emulate it but if it's available in the same form and at the same level of hardware optimization on both then you would not.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The Nintendo NX: two controllers, batteries included. Just like the good old days.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

Namco for the PS4 VR.

gently caress this AI if it thinks I'm going to go jogging with it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Demicol posted:

This reminded me of PSPGo

Whatever the NX is it can't fail worse than PSPGo

I saw a used PSPGo for sale at a Half Price Books. 60 dollars.

Can you even buy digital PSP games anymore?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Guy Goodbody posted:

I saw a used PSPGo for sale at a Half Price Books. 60 dollars.

Can you even buy digital PSP games anymore?

yes

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I wonder what new memes will arise from the nx

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

PBS Newshour posted:

They call it the NX because you take one look at it and do a 360 and walk away.

No, that's not right... Dammit.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Decus posted:

Any generic number like that is going to be 100% bullshit. It depends on both the original hardware and the hardware you're emulating on in ways that aren't factors of power but rather differences in instruction sets. If a specific, common instruction was 20x faster on the original hardware then sure you're going to need hardware that's 20x more powerful to emulate it but if it's available in the same form and at the same level of hardware optimization on both then you would not.

translating a cpu instruction set from one system to another is the easy part. what's difficult is that you have multiple different system components that all have to be kept synchronized in order to work properly. THAT is where the difficulty in emulation comes in. it's not in translating the machine code for a 2A03 or a PPU to an x86 or x64 CPU, it's about making sure that everything is kept in sync so that the PPU receives the drawing instructions when it expects them, for example.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ive been playing mario land 2 the six coins one on my new 3ds and it gets slowdown constantly lmao

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Saoshyant posted:

OK, a bit of news. A bunch of European retailers have been invited to a meeting two days from now in NOE's headquarters in Germany. They are all under NDAs not to reveal anything.

It's a shame they decided to close NOE in order to focus on more important markets, but I guess that's the way it has to be.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
November is going to roll around and we're going to learn that NX was just the code name for the NES Classic.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Super No Vacancy posted:

ive been playing mario land 2 the six coins one on my new 3ds and it gets slowdown constantly lmao

It's not the game that's slowing down... you've become so good at the game that you just perceive it as slowing down

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

PBS Newshour posted:

It's called the NX because it's the NeXt console from Nintendo that you will have tremendous fun playing.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
NX is a legit good name imo

It has that X factor

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It's gonna be called something real dumb, my bet is on a cross between the Gameboy and a home console. The Nintendo Homeboy.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

The N and X letters are reminiscent of the word "next" which makes methink this is a next gen console/concept.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I kinda think they might just go "The Nintendo". Like, I'd bet money on it.

Like, A: It's the one and only console going forward. The great uniter of handheld and TV gaming

And B: They talked (I think?) about getting inspiration from Android where it's just an OS that evolves over time. They're just gonna come out with upgraded versions over time that are more powerful and play the same games.

BONUS REASON: REASON C: This might be the last Nintendo console, and people have been saying they're gonna just call their new console the Nintendo" forever so why not go for it

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

From a pragmatic standpoint I agree with you but I think that nintendo has shown themselves to be anything but.

(Pragmatic, that is)

Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

Why do people keep making fake products with words that are so common it would be impossible to google. No company would ever use "Go" "Play" or "On" as a product name.

Ironically the console will me named the "Go on, Play Nintendo"

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Reiley posted:

The Nintendo NX: two controllers, batteries included. Just like the good old days.

nothing in my life for several years before the nintendo wii and since has used loving disposable batteries

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Hey guys, do you like completely unverified rumors?

Neither do I, but since Nintendo is being tight-lipped it's all we have to go on. Courtesy of this Twitter account, we have some stuff with basically nothing to back it, but due to the lack of anything solid to talk about gently caress it here we go anyway.

According to this, which I will summarize because it strikes me as easier than linking individual tweets (especially if they vanish somehow), the official name of the handheld half is the "3DSwap." The big thing is "one ecosystem, two devices, three ways to play." No, what that means is not gone into. Some games will be a "forward" edition, which means you get a box with a Wii U disc and NX cartridge, the ones specifically mentioned being Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Brothers. Other launch window games are going to be a New Mario game, Metroid, Pokemon, Call of Duty, and a new flavor of Skylanders. Monster Hunter, Resident Evil 7, and a new Ace Attorney are also in the works, as well as two NX exclusive titles from Platinum. And apparently there's going to be some sort of connectivity and streaming between the home unit and handheld unit.

If this stuff about the NX unit and 3DSwap is accurate, I hope it's all included in one package, and not two things you have to buy separately. But that assumes any of this is accurate at all, and at this point, who knows?

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

MechaCrash posted:

Neither do I, but since Nintendo is being tight-lipped it's all we have to go on. Courtesy of this Twitter account, we have some stuff with basically nothing to back it, but due to the lack of anything solid to talk about gently caress it here we go anyway.

According to this, which I will summarize because it strikes me as easier than linking individual tweets (especially if they vanish somehow), the official name of the handheld half is the "3DSwap." The big thing is "one ecosystem, two devices, three ways to play." No, what that means is not gone into. Some games will be a "forward" edition, which means you get a box with a Wii U disc and NX cartridge, the ones specifically mentioned being Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Brothers. Other launch window games are going to be a New Mario game, Metroid, Pokemon, Call of Duty, and a new flavor of Skylanders. Monster Hunter, Resident Evil 7, and a new Ace Attorney are also in the works, as well as two NX exclusive titles from Platinum. And apparently there's going to be some sort of connectivity and streaming between the home unit and handheld unit.

If this stuff about the NX unit and 3DSwap is accurate, I hope it's all included in one package, and not two things you have to buy separately. But that assumes any of this is accurate at all, and at this point, who knows?

This sounds like complete and absolute horseshit.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I can't believe Nintendo would choose such a racist name for its handheld.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

MechaCrash posted:

The thing that makes me feel this is probably incorrect is the bolded part.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
That sounds like a silly double-down on the WiiU concept only worse when the more obvious stream-lined, single-software-set portable/console hybrid would be the better option to get the same effect.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The two devices- now, I shouldn't even be saying this- but eht elosnoc si dellac eht potSD3 dna eht dlehdnah si dellac eht powSD3 dna nehw uoy tup meht rehtegot s'ti eht powS'n'potS. Whew! Sorry folks, gotta cover my bacon on this one.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Swop it like it's hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

It's probably all horseshit, but since we don't have anything of substance to talk about, this is good a way to fill the time as any. v:v:v

• Locked thread