Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Zhentar posted:

I messed up part of my investigation here; each work unit takes 60 ticks so for a level 10 cook (which is when cooking speed hits 100%), one simple meal takes 300 ticks. Doesn't really change the conclusion but it's not quite as bad as I thought.

the point you made is still well taken, i put the stove and butcher's table in the freezer this time and i'm able to make yuge food surpluses and make my colony great again on the back of millions of simple meals. also, i just now realized that you can make functionally infinite amounts of silver by surplus spending on merchants, so i now have yuge amounts of silver as well.

actual building is going a lot slower this time around due to my insistence on building stone walls on all my buildings. it's fall 1 and i still don't have a settlement wall really, but since all my stuff is 8x8 interior i've been making do by stuffing people into various buildings and leaping out at raiders as they run by them. this works reasonably well for getting into melee range and capturing lots of dorks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I tried to tame a Thrumbos and it went mad and attacked the person who was doing it. Then it ran to the colony and got mown down. Fine, I think, and take the colonist to be healed and also get the horn.

It turns out that when it attacked him it took off both his feet. I can't work out why it'd be that, but now he's footless. Which of course means I have to amputate both his legs and replace them with peglegs.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Dealing with Thrumbos, not even onebos

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Taear posted:

I tried to tame a Thrumbos and it went mad and attacked the person who was doing it. Then it ran to the colony and got mown down. Fine, I think, and take the colonist to be healed and also get the horn.

It turns out that when it attacked him it took off both his feet. I can't work out why it'd be that, but now he's footless. Which of course means I have to amputate both his legs and replace them with peglegs.

You're not missing much (can't say the same for your colonist). I had a thrumbo self-tame and training it turned out to be a slog. Even with a really good handler, you get something like a 2-3% chance to teach it anything. Getting it to be releasable took forever and training it for hauling seems out of the question.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Archenteron posted:

Dealing with Thrumbos, not even onebos

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Self trained thrumbo? Slaughter it and sell the parts for mad bank.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Taear posted:

Their horn is one of the more powerful melee weapons in the game, I think. It slices off limbs pretty well.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

IAmTheRad posted:

Self trained thrumbo? Slaughter it and sell the parts for mad bank.

One of my colonists has a bond with it :(

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Euthanize the colonist

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
If you get an exotic goods trading ship you could probably sell it live to them for a lot, the colonist it's bonded with will take a -10 mood for a week or so but that's not unmanageable.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

holy poo poo a dog hauler is the best loving thing since sliced bread

e:

So I just completed another first-year run with my latest colony, and I'm happy enough with this one that I think I'll keep it:

There's still a few things I want to do defensively, like add mortars on the wall's middle and turrets in the kill zones with switches to click them off, but it'll have to wait until I have a better angle on components. Steel hasn't been a humongous problem this game but components are a constant struggle.

The compound works out really nice and modular all things considered. The same 10x10 design works for every major need, with only the solar panels in the middle being a real exception. I'll probably move the power infrastructure off to the west of the compound, since I've got some extra space over there and it's not like anyone's spawning from the ocean any time soon.

Putting the stove and butcher's counter in the freezer made all of the difference trade wise. It suddenly became easy to have my chef kick out a ton of extra food, which I could then use to export to most merchants. With that in mind, I set up a crafting spot right next to the smokeweed, so all the joints get made arm's reach from the field. Gonna do something similar with the hard drugs since there's that big-rear end rocky spot where I'm not growing anything any time soon.

Going into year 2 the plan is basically just to grow like crazy and make tons of herbal medicine, weed, and hard drugs, and use leftover time to mine out the map and figure out how many components I have to play with. Hopefully it's enough that I feel comfortable getting trade beacons set up and a comm unit built so I can start exporting more heavily. After comms are established, priorities are turrets, decent weapons, and mortars, in that order. A proper hospital will also come at some point in there, but that's more reliant on medicine than components.

Also, definitely enjoying Randy as a storyteller a hell of a lot more than Cassandra. Yes, sometimes raids and boomalope crap comes fast and furious, but there's also times they do not. The periods of relative peace are tense from a gameplay perspective, but also very valuable in getting things working well.

Question, only somewhat related: I was thinking of getting saucy at some point and integrating some of the further-flung geothermal vents, using a double-thick wall to isolate them and using them to power sunlamps around the perimeter of the compound, to keep the crops growing more effectively. Good/bad idea? I'm not clear on how helpful sunlamps even are. Also, what weapons should I be building when I get to machining? Obviously the high Shooting guys need sniper rifles, and their closer range partners should get what, heavy SMGs? LMGs? I captured a few pump-action shotguns from some early raids and they are hoooooly poo poo useless. What about melee weapons? Smash is a brawler, so she utterly ruins things in melee. I'm not sure if it's worth forging some steel longswords to keep around if needed. Also, is there a way to designate that specific weapons should go in specific equipment lockers, so I'm able to keep weapons on hand at the edge of the compound, or am I more or less just stuck saying 'put weapons here' and hoping I get a good mix of stuff?

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Sep 20, 2016

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Coolguye posted:

holy poo poo a dog hauler is the best loving thing since sliced bread

Protip: Wild Boars are fairly common, can be trained to haul, breed and mature at an OK rate, and can be completely herbivorous so you don't need to worry about kibble :razorback:

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

IronicDongz posted:

I've been at the point for a while now where I don't really have anything I want to build, all my colonists are doing fine, etc... my base is 'finished', but it seems like it's still gonna take 100 million years to sell enough beer and sculptures to buy the 800 plasteel or however much I need total to build the ship. And then a big chunk of steel for caskets.

Just sitting around watching crops grow!

Mining drills will get you all the plasteel and steel you need. Components will be your bottleneck.

I hosed up and let my colonists bond with a few elephants I had tamed. Sure they will haul, but they eat a fucktonne.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
What can I do about random animal attacks? Just had a third colonist torn to bits by a cougar before anyone else could get there. Didn't even know I had one on the map.

He was 99% recruit difficuly and I finally got him two loving days ago. We really need a warning before 'currently has a cougar's jaws around his neck'.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Sep 20, 2016

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Walton Simons posted:

What can I do about random animal attacks? Just had a third colonist torn to bits by a cougar before anyone else could get there. Didn't even know I had one on the map.

He was 99% recruit difficuly and I finally got him two loving days ago. We really need a warning before 'currently has a cougar's jaws around his neck'.

They'll attack when they're really hungry and otherwise not until provoked, so making sure there's some local fauna for them to eat is a good first step. More asinine suggestions include periodically scanning the map or setting up forbidden areas for colonists incapable of fighting back. My personal favorite solution is Colony Manager: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=715565262&searchtext=manage

You can just setup a 'job' to hunt all dangerous animals, and it will automatically task a hunter to kill them. You can even set this job at the highest priority to make sure your map is clean of carnivores.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

So apparently pawns CAN die 'off screen'. I know this because my colonist lost his fiance who never once appeared on my map, but Grim found out about her fate just the same and decided to take it out on one of the town's huskies.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Archenteron posted:

Protip: Wild Boars are fairly common, can be trained to haul, breed and mature at an OK rate, and can be completely herbivorous so you don't need to worry about kibble :razorback:

Yeah boars, huskies and Labradors are my go to haulers now. Not having to set aside a kibble stockpile that the rest of my farm's animals can't touch is nice.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Matrim posted:

They'll attack when they're really hungry and otherwise not until provoked, so making sure there's some local fauna for them to eat is a good first step. More asinine suggestions include periodically scanning the map or setting up forbidden areas for colonists incapable of fighting back. My personal favorite solution is Colony Manager: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=715565262&searchtext=manage

You can just setup a 'job' to hunt all dangerous animals, and it will automatically task a hunter to kill them. You can even set this job at the highest priority to make sure your map is clean of carnivores.

I'll try to rely on my own stocks in that case and not haul animal corpses and harvest fruit just because I can. Thanks! I've got a sniper rifle and assault rifle so I'll just shoot any that get too close to the base.

e: My fourth colony's first 81 days of events under Randy Rough, if anyone's interested.

e2: God drat, you're quiet today. Does anyone know if there are any perks of raising faction goodwill beyond the point where they'll send help? Will they send more traders or more help if you do call?

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 20, 2016

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Dire Lemming posted:

If you get an exotic goods trading ship you could probably sell it live to them for a lot, the colonist it's bonded with will take a -10 mood for a week or so but that's not unmanageable.

It sells for 1800 silver. Not bad, but my only use for silver at this point is to build a chromed out room for my one colonist with the greedy trait. I'd rather keep the thrumbo around for an oh poo poo moment where I can send it into battle and watch it either turn the tide or die trying.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Walton Simons posted:

I'll try to rely on my own stocks in that case and not haul animal corpses and harvest fruit just because I can. Thanks! I've got a sniper rifle and assault rifle so I'll just shoot any that get too close to the base.

e: My fourth colony's first 81 days of events under Randy Rough, if anyone's interested.

e2: God drat, you're quiet today. Does anyone know if there are any perks of raising faction goodwill beyond the point where they'll send help? Will they send more traders or more help if you do call?

At 40 goodwill, the cost to request traders drops from 600 silver to 300 silver. Other than that, it looks like the only difference is that when they randomly send help, it's slightly more likely to be from factions that you have more good will with.

Incidentally, parties aren't a storyteller event; they just occur randomly with an MTB of 40 days.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Thanks, I think I'll make something of an effort to raise it further if I'm feeling flush.

e: How does 'release animals' work? Nothing seems to change when I click it. It would be great to set my animals on enemies nearby while my pawns hide but it doesn't seem to work that way.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 20, 2016

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
here's the link for the drugs from boom-vermin thing for those that are lazy. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=765351437

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

how well do deadfall traps work against boomers anyway

i was thinking of incorporating a couple of them on the intakes of my compound to deal with the odd mad boomrat or boomalope, which otherwise basically requires a wounded hunter to deal with. can your colonists walk over deadfalls freely or is there a Problem with that

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Just picked this up, finally. I'm fine with mostly figuring stuff out on my own (losing is fun!) but what are some good essential/critical tips? Not stuff like "this is the optimal way to XYZ" but more "hey keep this in mind because while losing is fun, this comes out of nowhere and isn't really fun."

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Coolguye posted:

can your colonists walk over deadfalls freely or is there a Problem with that

Deadfalls have a .4% chance to be accidentally tripped by colonists so its fairly rare but when they do happen be prepared to lose a colonist.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Holy poo poo I just decimated a raid in the preparation stage with three mortar guys. It was pretty worrying, about 13 of them against my 4 fighters but big groups is what this was meant for. First two shots kill three and leave two limping slowly behind the group, we barely needed to fire a shot before they fled and no turrets were taken out. Best thing is that you can tuck them away and they don't need power so it's a really handy backup to turrets if you've lost a few and are still rebuilding or it there's a solar flare or something. Also managed to knock out a siege before they even set up their mortars, but accuracy was much lower against a smaller group.

I've always dealt with mad boomrats by getting three hunters or so and making a firing squad. Once you've knocked their speed down to slower than a person, you're laughing. I think there's a very small chance for colonists to set off the traps. Boomalope hordes you can lead on a chase in the same way. Boomrat hordes (just had one) I hide from.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

Deadfalls have a .4% chance to be accidentally tripped by colonists so its fairly rare but when they do happen be prepared to lose a colonist.

okay. do colonists avoid them if possible or do they just walk right over them? so like if they're walking in a straight line and can side step up or down to avoid it will they do that or just sort of durr on through

e: nevermind, wiki implies that colonists will avoid deadfalls set up in a checkerboard formation, so covering kill zone entrances with checkerboard deadfalls is pretty legit it seems

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 20, 2016

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I played Evil Genius, so I never built traps because minions are a lot more expendable than colonists.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I had my warden get sick with malaria and assigned them to bed rest, meanwhile a raid hit and I captured about five tribals.

Fast forward a day or two later of me forgetting to assign a new warden, one of the prisoners in the giant prisoner room dies, and immediately the rest of the prisoners descend upon him and start eating the corpse, since without a warden, none of them have been fed.

I think I finally managed to hit the point where I feel like a war criminal, and it was completely by accident :( I'm just going to let these guys go free, they've been through more than enough

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Coolguye posted:

okay. do colonists avoid them if possible or do they just walk right over them? so like if they're walking in a straight line and can side step up or down to avoid it will they do that or just sort of durr on through

e: nevermind, wiki implies that colonists will avoid deadfalls set up in a checkerboard formation, so covering kill zone entrances with checkerboard deadfalls is pretty legit it seems

They seem to path around them as long as it's not too far out of their way. I just make sure to leave a tile between them.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
generally with deadfalls I just make a zone that includes everything except the deadfall traps then ignore it. People in a daze are still going to get deadfalled regardless of the option you choose, and the restriction prevents pathing from killing you at least.

Just need to micromanage re-arming, since I've had people stand in the trap to re-arm them already.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Any recommended mods for A15?

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Danaru posted:

II think I finally managed to hit the point where I feel like a war criminal, and it was completely by accident :( I'm just going to let these guys go free, they've been through more than enough

No that's the point at which you butcher and eat them.

Nothing feeds a dude like a dude-fed dude feeds a dude, dude.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I just want to say thanks to whoever suggested giving 'Trigger Happy' guys a minigun. Two of them pretty much single handedly held off the largest raid this colony has seen so far. So many bullets :911:

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

IAmTheRad posted:

Any recommended mods for A15?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3598337&pagenumber=186&perpage=40#post464257315

That's my take on the A15 mods that are out now. Still waiting on Skullywag and Fluffy to update theirs, but I think they both rely on ccm.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
How do you restrict human meat meals to prisoners? Will your colonists choose meals made from non-humans over meals made from humans or something?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

How do you restrict human meat meals to prisoners? Will your colonists choose meals made from non-humans over meals made from humans or something?

:psyduck:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just am curious from a mechanics/interface thing because I hear it bandied about regarding "prisoner chow" but I have no idea how to not have my dudes eat any

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Is mortar accuracy tied to colonists' shooting ability?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I just am curious from a mechanics/interface thing because I hear it bandied about regarding "prisoner chow" but I have no idea how to not have my dudes eat any

I don't know of any setting or mod that will let you restrict things based on contents. Did they ever get around to adding meal level restrictions for prisoners? I suppose if they did you could make all simple meals out of human meat, then be sure to just never run out of fine meals for your colonists