Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

These are all fantastic, thank you so much for translating.

quote:

TUSK ACT 1
Something like a mascot character... designed with an axolotl in mind. I knew I was going to make it grow, but I haven't really draw these sorts of cute and fluffy stands a lot, so it was refreshing to draw.

I always wondered what those weird whiskers were, makes a lot of sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So, since Joshuu is so reprehensible, do you think he's Araki's attempt to create a character who could defeat a Stand whose power is to just make you poo poo yourself?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ9fAr43q5U

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

RareAcumen posted:

So, since Joshuu is so reprehensible, do you think he's Araki's attempt to create a character who could defeat a Stand whose power is to just make you poo poo yourself?

I both love and hate how this power isn't that terribly out there for a Stand.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

BaDandy posted:

I both love and hate how this power isn't that terribly out there for a Stand.

Jolyne basically did it (though I'm still not 100% on how)

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

joshu is so god damned bad because a) Araki needs him to be the worst member of the family and b) the family is all bad weirdos

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

NecroMonster posted:

joshu is so god damned bad because a) Araki needs him to be the worst member of the family and b) the family is all bad weirdos

Please do not call Golden Child Hato a bad weirdo.

She is a good weirdo.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

I forgot that they called it Puddle of Mud.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Funky Valentine posted:

THIS IS NO RIPPLE, BOY

NO RIPPLE

once the Big Tusk is mass produced

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Daiya is the best Higashikata because she'll just start talking to you about Yes and if you like cute girls and then yell about pancakes

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Moltrey posted:

Daiya is the best Higashikata because she'll just start talking to you about Yes and if you like cute girls and then yell about pancakes

Sorry, I don't believe in God.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Whatever happens I hope we get Josuke vs Joshuu somehow because that'd be a real sick fight

"I'll slap you with my dick!"
"I have already unscrewed your dick, you don't have one"
"I know, I stole it and my dick is floating above your head"
"NANI"

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Waffleman_ posted:

Sorry, I don't believe in God.
PANCAAAAAAKES

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Hello JoJo thread, I've never posted in here before but I wanted to ask you all a question anyways: I already know what happens at the end of part 6, so would I miss much if I skipped part 6 and just went to part 7 right away? For the record I do plan on reading it eventually, I just really want to get to SBR since I've heard so many good things about it.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Don't skip parts.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Even if you know the ending, Part 6 is legitimately really good

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
It's not like Part 6 has a sucky translation

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

FirstAidKite posted:

I was mostly thinking of just running with Paranoia's system since I've DMed Paranoia before and it is the only thing I've managed to stick through and it has enough of a fast and loose barely-there ruleset that I feel I could use it to put people into situations where they'd have to make me believe their bullshit.

Of course, I'm the same dude who thinks a Jojo Warriors game would be fun and I guess that's not a popular opinion either so :shrug:

Hello, it is me, forums poster Jolyne Cujoh, to explain to you literally everything you need to know about FAE (Fate: Accelerated Edition) to run it and why it is absolutely fuckin' perfect for running a jojos game and does the exact things you said you wanted from Paranoia way better because it doesn't have a spread of like 40 different skills to check things against every time you roll for something.

Each character in FAE has 3 parts that players get to customize and 2 parts that are universal. The universal parts that are the same (generally) for every character are FATE Points and stress. Stress is damage, and it's divided into six parts: three stress boxes and three consequence boxes. When you lose a struggle of any kind, you take a certain amount of stress damage and you mark the box that corresponds with that damage. Marked the box already? Well, you're gonna need to mark some other stuff, generally more severe stuff! Say you lose a struggle by 1, but you've already marked box 1, well, you still have to deal with that 1 damage somehow, so you've either got to mark box 2 or take a minor consequence (basically a penalty that lasts for the rest of the scene). If you can't--or won't--take stress then you're out of the scene; worse, the person who caused you to take the stress gets to decide how you are taken out. This system creates a natural escalation of danger as scenes continue playing out that really emulates the back-and-forth ending in an explosive climax that Jojo has on the player's side.

Notably, though, if you are nearly certain that you're going to lose, you can choose to give up and be taken out before your opponent rolls. If you do this, not only do you get at least one FATE point (more on those later), but you get to decide how you are taken out. While being taken out doesn't necessarily mean that you get killed, the easiest way to illustrate the difference between these two ways of being taken out is to look at two different deaths in Jojo. The first one we'll look at is Diego in SBR. After a long struggle with Valentine, with some back and forth and uncertainty (in-fiction, as obviously Diego isn't going to kill Valentine if you think of the metanarrative), in one quick and decisive action, Dio is thrown under the wheels of the train and is killed, accomplishing nothing (or so it seemed, until Lucy and Johnny capitalized on his death). On the other hand, we can look at the death of Kakyoin at the end of SDC. Kakyoin straight up knew that if he tried to face up to Dio, he was going to lose. So he doesn't try to win, he tries to stall. And the moment he figures out Dio's trick, his "player" decides that he is giving up, he's going to get taken out, but on his terms. And his terms are leaving the hint that allows Joseph--and therefore Jotaro--to also figure out Dio's trick.

Now on to Fate Points. Fate Points are essentially a currency that you can spend to gain a minor advantage in a scene-both from a mechanical and narrative perspective. By default, everyone has a "Refresh" of 3, meaning that they start each session with 3 fate points. You can gain more Fate points in a session by intentionally disadvantaging yourself or playing up your characters' flaws and weaknesses. Similarly, when you spend a fate point you have to justify its use by either playing on your own strengths, your enemy's weaknesses or something in the environment or it won't work. You can only use a given justification once per scene, though, because Fate Points are supposed to be dramatic twists that thoroughly change a situation. For another jojo illustration of how this works, let's look near the very beginning of DiU! Josuke and Koichi are watching someone perform a robbery and are about to walk away, when the robber makes fun of Josuke's hair. Now, Josuke loves his hair, so instead of walking away from this dangerous situation he walks right up to challenge the robber. For doing this, he gets a Fate Point. He then immediately spends the Fate Point on his next attack to do the knife trick with Crazy D--something that we've never seen before, but that can be justified because of Crazy D's powers. Because he did this, though, it's not as surprising when he does the same thing with his mom and Aqua Necklace later, that's just a thing that Crazy D can do now, so he can do it but doesn't get a special bonus for doing so like he did the first time.

Now for the customizable parts about a character. These are threefold: Aspects, Approaches and Stunts. Approaches are the easiest to explain, because they're basically just stats. However, unlike a D&D or similar game, approaches don't represent physical attributes or skills, they represent the attitude and style with which you, well, approach adversity. There are 6 approaches: Careful, Clever, Flashy, Forceful, Quick and Sneaky. You set one of these to 3, two of them to 2, two to one and one to 0. They can get bigger as you level, but they can never get higher than 4. For a little more illustration, let's speculate on what 4Taro's starting stats would be. His main trick in Part 4 is the time stop and using his speed, so Quick is 3. He's still quite strong, and he is extremely methodical, so forceful and careful get set to 2. He's not quite as clever as other characters, and is generally fairly toned down in part 4, so we'll put Flashy and Clever at 1, because they are still things he does, they're just not quite as emphasized as other characters. And, since Jotaro was never one for stealth and fuckin' everyone knows about him and his abilities in part 4, sneaky is a big ol' 0. When you're approaching a situation in one of these ways, you add that number to your roll. I'll explain how rolls work later.

The second part of a character are aspects, and much like approaches they're pretty much exactly what it says on the tin. Each character gets 5, two of which are special and 3 of which are "generic." The two special aspects are your major aspect (basically the main idea of the character. In a JoJo game this would almost certainly be your stand), and your Flaw, which is an aspect which must be largely (not necessarily totally) negative. The other three can be whatever personality traits or backstory elements of your character that you want to come up often and have a big effect on the plot. So let's look at one more Jojo: Our boy Johnny Joestar. His major aspect, since this is where Stands go, is Tusk. His flaw would be that he's paralyzed. His other three aspects would be his Dark Determination, his past as a famous jockey and his relationship with Gyro. Gyro, on the other hand, lacked a stand for most of SBR, so his major aspect would probably just be the Steel Balls. His flaw would probably be his altruism: representing both his drive to help people like Johnny and Marco that often gets him in trouble and his lack of the Determination needed to kill people. On the other hand, his cockiness could also be seen as his major character flaw. As long as both of these aspects are seen largely as things that will hinder him, either can be his flaw, and nothing says you can't have more than one negative aspect. For his last two aspects, they'd probably have to be his upbringing as an executioner andhis relationship with Johnny, since they're so closely tied together and that relationship informs so much of their personalities. Characters don't necessarily have to have aspects based on their past or relationships. Josuke, for example, would probably have something representing Crazy D, Anger (like with his hair), Creativity, Selflessness and Charisma, since his story is far more personality-driven than history-driven like SBR was.

The last thing characters have in FAE are stunts. Stunts are very specific actions that your character excels at, and therefore gets bonuses to perform, similar to spending a Fate Point, (or the ability to perform at all). Each character starts with 3 stunts, but they may trade in stunts for a higher refresh and vice versa. Yes, this does mean that if someone wanted to they could have 6 stunts and start each session with 0 fate points or start each session with 6 fate points but have no stunts. Both of these are generally terrible ideas, but going 2 and 4 in either direction can be a good idea for some characters. Stunts come in two flavors, like I said: Bonuses to specific rolls and the ability to Just Do Things. They're generally formatted as "Because I'm awesome, I get to do thing." For example, if I wanted to play Jolyne (near the beginning of SO), these are the stunts I would give her: "Because I can unwind my ears, I get a +2 when attempting to sneakily eavesdrop on a conversation," "Because I can stitch myself together with my stand, once per session I can immediately cure myself of a minor consequence or step down a moderate consequence," and "Because of my fighting ability and imagination, I get a +2 when I try to cleverly defend myself from attacks."

The second stunt, because it just happens, is deceptively powerful, and would be different for Josuke or FF's healing abilities. For them I'd have something like "because of my stand's abilities, once per scene I may roll to try to step down someone else's consequences." This isn't perfect healing, but because consequences aren't necessarily physical, it still works. For example, during Sheer Heart Attack when Josuke healed Koichi his injuries would have stepped down from "life threatening" to "gone, but he's still gonna be shaken up for a while." Or they can just be narrative things, with the healer patching people up between scenes to explain how they come back from being Taken Out, because not everything needs to be mechanical or have a use during conflict in FAE.

Like many modern games, in FAE NPCs work in much the same way as players, but they are generally much simpler to make things easy on the GM. While major NPCs may have all of the parts that a character has, most of them will have one or two aspects and then a couple of actions that they get a bonus to. If they can't do those things, they just roll straight up. Most enemies will just have 3 stress before they get taken out and not bother with consequences, as there are other ways for players to get an advantage. Which brings me to how rolls work, and the main reason why FAE works so well for a Jojo game.

In FAE, everything is determined by the same roll that a modifier or modifiers is then added to. Every roll in FAE is a rol of 4dF, which means 4 FUDGE dice. Fudge dice are six sided dice with 2 blank faces, 2 +'s and 2 -'s. Add 1 for each plus, subtract one for each minus and factor in modifiers and you're good. A roll of +,+,0,- is a roll of 1, for example. This means that results tend heavily towards 0's and (-)1's, with 3's and 4's on either side being extremely rare, with a 1 in 81 chance a 4 and a 4 in 81 chance for a 3 (and the same chances for a -4 or -3). Because of the extremely bounded numbers of this (a PC can never roll higher than an 8 in a straight roll), and the fact that combat goes from relatively harmless to "lethal" very quickly (much like Stand Battles often do), there is one strategy that most groups gravitate toward due to its effectiveness and fun, which is advantage stacking.

There are 3 types of rolls in FAE. You can roll to overcome an obstacle, defend yourself or help someone else. This help is normally just a +2 to their roll (or you can take a turn now to help yourself later), like you get from a FATE point. However, because of the way success works (beating the number the GM set for the task by +3, +5 or +7 have exponentially larger benefits, both narrative and mechanical), stacking these relatively small bonuses leads to much greater success. So the best way to be successful in FAE is to have everyone working together to create an advantage for one person, who then goes in to deliver the final blow. In this way, it's like most of the "best" fights in Jojo, where creating the advantage is keeping yourself alive and learning what the opponent's power is and preparing a situation where you can counter it, and it allows fights to be a team thing even when they're focusing on just one person as Jojo fights often do. Survive, work together, figure out the opponent and then deliver one big, decisive blow to try to end things quickly.

There's a little more nuance to running FAE and if you're gonna run it you should probably read the rules a little more thoroughly than just having this post (you can buy a PDF for pay what you want (as little as 'Free) from the author's site) but I've spent a ton of time thinking about running (or writing) a tabletop jojo game and this is most of the stuff about the spirit of it that I've come up with.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Part 6 has some of the craziest poo poo in all of Jojo

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

steel ball run will be there when you've finished part 6, i guarantee it

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Saying you know the ending to part 6 is like saying 'I know the boat sinks in Titanic, should I skip it?'

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I reread some early Jojolion recently. I can't tell if Hato is joking or sincerely thinks she's being subtle with her magazine-on-the-floor introduction, but either way I love it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

Hello, it is me, forums poster Jolyne Cujoh, to explain to you literally everything you need to know about FAE (Fate: Accelerated Edition) to run it and why it is absolutely fuckin' perfect for running a jojos game and does the exact things you said you wanted from Paranoia way better because it doesn't have a spread of like 40 different skills to check things against every time you roll for something.

Each character in FAE has 3 parts that players get to customize and 2 parts that are universal. The universal parts that are the same (generally) for every character are FATE Points and stress. Stress is damage, and it's divided into six parts: three stress boxes and three consequence boxes.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

Hello, it is me, forums poster Jolyne Cujoh, to explain to you literally everything you need to know about FAE (Fate: Accelerated Edition)

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

Things about using FAE for a Jojo game

Dang, this sounds awesome! I had always heard FATE was good for anime tabletop RPGs, and I guess now I know why. I've started gm-ing a DBZ game with a few friends based on apocalypse world, and I've been itching to try something with Jojos, but I'd need more friends familiar with the series. Or maybe there'll just be a lot of Speedwagons/Koichis for the first few sessions :v:

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

RareAcumen posted:

What if there was an enemy stand that could make you pee, except the pee is also blood? Could anyone defeat that?

e: By the way, two new chapters of Vento Aureo went up just a few hours ago, so here's My Name is Doppio, parts 1 and 2

Daxing Dan fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Sep 20, 2016

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Daxing Dan posted:

What if there was an enemy stand that could make you pee, except the pee is also blood? Could anyone defeat that?

RIP Emporio, who died shortly after the ending of part 6 due to his untreated renal failure

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

stone ocean is one of the top three best jojo parts

don't skip it

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Hello JoJo thread, I've never posted in here before but I wanted to ask you all a question anyways: I already know what happens at the end of part 6, so would I miss much if I skipped part 6 and just went to part 7 right away? For the record I do plan on reading it eventually, I just really want to get to SBR since I've heard so many good things about it.

I generally recommend going in order, but if you've got a monkey on your back about Part 7 and really want to read it, go ahead and come back to 6 afterwards. I'd hate it if reading Part 6 felt like a chore to get through because you're burning to get to the next part, and there really is nothing from it referenced in SBR.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

If you've already forced yourself through 5 there's no reason to not read 6, since unlike 5, 6 is done properly.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
There is so much more to Part 6 than the ending, and I guarantee you will see some sick as gently caress JoJo poo poo in there. I recommend reading part 6.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Daxing Dan posted:

e: By the way, two new chapters of Vento Aureo went up just a few hours ago, so here's My Name is Doppio, parts 1 and 2

You're doing DIO's work, man. I had kinda forgotten that Doppio literally starts vomiting razor blades from the get-go, but it's all starting to come back now.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Stone Ocean it some top-tier JoJo, so you'd only be doing yourself a disservice by skipping it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I was having an issue where the chapter before the two new Doppio ones wasn't showing correctly. Might be worth checking it over, making sure it's okay?

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Hi Jolyne!! Long time no see!! :wave:

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
one of my friends is doing the JoJo Anime Watch and she's already expressed a dislike of Jotaro and that Part 3 isn't capitalizing on the parts of Parts 1 and 2 she liked. Her major complaint was 'it feels like the flanderized version of JoJo where it's just Manly Guys Doing Manly Things'.

It's kind of interesting because these days I consider Part 3 the uphill of JoJo. I used to like it a lot but now that I've read the whole thing I think it may be the rockiest part overall. Still good, but I am slightly worried part 3 will make her drop the series and not get to the amazing Parts that happen after it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Just recommend the episodes that matter and are good. Even the pacing of part 3 at times was pretty bad I thought.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

Hello, it is me, forums poster Jolyne Cujoh

FAE is definitely best for jojos, but I am of the opinion stands shouldn’t be the primary aspect, since that kind of misses out on a big character opportunity. I instead treat the stand as one of their stunts, so they can just use the stand whenever, without necessarily needing to spend a FATE point.

I also encourage players to perform “stylish actions” where they can spend a fate point to retroactively do something. This is Josuke going “Earlier I swallowed a rubber glove!” or Joseph going “I was actually laying out an intricate web of ropes!” to suddenly turn the tables.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
You don't have to spend a fate point for an aspect to be true, only to get a special mechanical benefit from it. Aspects are always true, even when not conferring some kind of bonus.

I put some thought into using something like FAE to do a jojo game a couple years ago and I realized that the actual structure of Jojo doesn't really work for tabletop. There's definitely concepts associated with the series that I'd like to see more of in tabletop games, like puzzle fights and encouraging creative use of player abilities, though.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/WeedVentoAureo/status/741759794738958336

https://twitter.com/WeedVentoAureo/status/741760041246560256

what a good twitter

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Stallion Cabana posted:

'it feels like the flanderized version of JoJo where it's just Manly Guys Doing Manly Things'.

Is that not exactly what happens in PB and BT? Well, I guess Joseph being goofy adds something else to BT.

Just admit to her that the first half of SDC is rocky because Araki was figuring this new stand thing out and that the rest of JoJo isn't really comparable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Yeah, the first half of SDC is rocky. If she demands proof of it getting better, just show her D'Arby.