Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Insect Court posted:

What demographic is 'people who bold the first half sentence of a long answer in a way that gives the opposite impression of what Johnson's clear policy on drone strikes is' in?

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/09/gary-johnson-swing-election-2016-president-214251

Here's a Slate article doing what you're attempting to do without totally mangling Johnson's actual policy stance:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2016/09/gary_johnson_is_not_worth_any_liberal_s_protest_vote.html

I quoted Johnson's whole answer you big baby. Anyway if you click the little "?" under my name, or scroll up on the same page you'll see that I was responding to someone who characterized Johnson's position as "hard stance against bombing", this is not Gary Johnson's position.

Gary Johnson's actual policy stance is "we should do drone strikes in a way that causes less collateral damage, don't ask me for any specific details though I'll just let the generals figure out what that is"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Pakled posted:

Yeah, HW is probably the living ex-president that Republicans have the most respect for. The ever-growing list of prominent Republicans who reject Trump just got a new #1.

"most respect," but not "a lot of respect." A lot of conservatives haven't forgiven Bush for the "read my lips...", <raises taxes>, <Clinton wins election> series of events that happened in '92. Then there's all the Reagnite insiders who will never forgive anyone in the Bush family for having the temerity to run against God King Emperor Saint Reagan in a primary.

Also, countdown to Trump accusing George H.W. Bush of being senile begins now.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
You guys are way too positive w/r/t Trump having a heart attack during the debate.

1) He has the best (tiny) heart. It's encrusted with this pale gold substance. Amazing.
2)The GOP tinhats are going to overdrive.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

remusclaw posted:

A family member of mine is, I just realized, an economic liberal, social conservative. He wouldn't describe himself that way of course, but his opinion on Black Lives matter(terrorists) and unions(good) leave me baffled. I just spent 3 hours arguing that black chattel slavery was based on racism rather than economics and got nowhere. He is voting Democrat because Trump is an idiot.

That's pretty much most voters. "I want the government to give ME stuff and I'm OK with paying taxes for things I like and things that benefit people like ME, but THOSE people..." Bucket of crabs.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Brony Car posted:

I did phone banking today. I'm not very good at it, but at least 2 people in Pennsylvania were very nice to me and were interested in volunteering.. One old lady told me to go to hell, 2 people hung up on me and I otherwise got a lot of busy signals or disconnected number messages.

Not really the evening I was hoping for. :(

I'm terrible at phone banking.

I'm very good at registering voters though, so maybe give that a try!

remusclaw posted:

A family member of mine is, I just realized, an economic liberal, social conservative. He wouldn't describe himself that way of course, but his opinion on Black Lives matter(terrorists) and unions(good) leave me baffled. I just spent 3 hours arguing that black chattel slavery was based on racism rather than economics and got nowhere. He is voting Democrat because Trump is an idiot.

Lol where are you from? I feel like this is half of Western PA (where I grew up).

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

"Undeserved respectability" or not, HW is looking pretty good by modern Republican standards.

Read what he had to say about David Duke in 1991: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana_gubernatorial_election,_1991#Runoff_Campaign

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Brony Car posted:

I did phone banking today. I'm not very good at it, but at least 2 people in Pennsylvania were very nice to me and were interested in volunteering.. One old lady told me to go to hell, 2 people hung up on me and I otherwise got a lot of busy signals or disconnected number messages.

Not really the evening I was hoping for. :(

I did 10 calls (weak, I know) and got two pick-ups - a nice old man who will definitely be voting for Clinton (if his health permits him), and a guy who sounded interested but abruptly hung up on me. I'll do more tomorrow.

We must all do our part to defend America.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

VitalSigns posted:

I quoted Johnson's whole answer you big baby. Anyway if you click the little "?" under my name, or scroll up on the same page you'll see that I was responding to someone who characterized Johnson's position as "hard stance against bombing", this is not Gary Johnson's position.

Gary Johnson's actual policy stance is "we should do drone strikes in a way that causes less collateral damage, don't ask me for any specific details though I'll just let the generals figure out what that is"

Fine, Gary Johnson's stance is firmly opposed to the sort of expansive use of drones that Hillary supports. Is that better? Was this really in doubt? Do you want me to post some more sources?

If you actually want to convert wavering Johnson voters(or Stein voters or undecideds or whatever) to support Hillary then maybe fiercely denying every and any criticism of Clinton isn't the best way to go about it.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
Economic liberal/social conservative is a pretty good way to describe my 86-year-old grandmother. She’s always voted for republicans in the past because she’s super racist, terrified that criminals are lurking around every corner ready to get her, and identifies as strongly Christian (even though she doesn’t actually know poo poo about the bible and never actually went to church. It’s just this vague cultural thing to her, I think) but believes that we should have universal healthcare and that rich people should pay higher taxes and social programs should be expanded and such.

This election she’s also gotten rather into voting for Hillary Clinton and cheering her on, and tells everyone that she thinks Trump would start World War III.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The usual description for "Economic Liberal/Social Conservative" is "Catholic".

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Insect Court posted:

Fine, Gary Johnson's stance is firmly opposed to the sort of expansive use of drones that Hillary supports. Is that better? Was this really in doubt? Do you want me to post some more sources?

If you actually want to convert wavering Johnson voters(or Stein voters or undecideds or whatever) to support Hillary then maybe fiercely denying every and any criticism of Clinton isn't the best way to go about it.

Just skip to the part where you get probated again, you loving imbecile.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Blastedhellscape posted:

This election she’s also gotten rather into voting for Hillary Clinton and cheering her on, and tells everyone that she thinks Trump would start World War III.

I feel like old people who lived through WW2 would be great surrogates against a guy a lot of people think will start WW3.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Insect Court posted:

Fine, Gary Johnson's stance is firmly opposed to the sort of expansive use of drones that Hillary supports. Is that better?

Now you're moving the goalposts on twodot's behalf :psyduck:

That's not how he characterized Johnson's position, and this new position you've created for him doesn't support the argument he made.

Anyway no it's not much better because it leaves out the details of how expansive or restrictive Johnson's policy would be. Every time Johnson is asked for details he replies that he wants to use drones in situations where the collateral damage is worth it and not in situations where it would create more enemies than we kill. Which is exactly the same goal that Hillary or Obama have. No one is in favor of using drones to purposely create more enemies. Unfortunately for him and for you, Johnson is unable to describe exactly how he would discriminate between these these cases better than the military is doing now. Which is pretty important for someone who actually wants to vote for the best policy, but not so important for people who want to project their own hopes and dreams onto Johnson's candidacy and it's the latter people that his vagueness appeals to.

Edit: Your isidewith link, quote "Should the military fly drones over foreign countries to gain intelligence and kill suspected terrorists? Gary Johnson’s answer: No, the military has no right to do so without a Congressional declaration of war "

But Gary Johnson wants a congressional declaration of war soooooo...

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 20, 2016

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

the air is fresh, there's plenty of parking, plenty of space to walk around

I'm in the middle of reading Homicide and rewatching The Wire, and the autonomic response my nervous system had to the hilarity of this almost gave me a heart attack. My current regimen of binge drinking and chain-smoking may or may not have also contributed to that (this loving election) :derp:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

computer parts posted:

The usual description for "Economic Liberal/Social Conservative" is "Catholic".

Lol. Although I'd probably add WV to that grouping and Catholics are...not the dominant force there.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It strangely gives me hope. I'm disappointed in him of course, but the fact that he is voting Democrat , despite his expressed distaste for people who wear gang colors, women who dress like whores, and people who want attention (transgender folk, prisoners, pop music aficionados) he is still willing to vote against obvious stupid, and that makes me more hopeful for Democratic turnout come November than I had been.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Gary Johnson supports private prisons. If he were good on every other issue (and boy howdy, he's not), that one issue would make voting for Gary Johnson is indefensible.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
just tell millennials that hillary wants to legalize weed

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/sethabramovitch/status/778091768793407488

I gotta admit that's pretty a pretty classy and reasonable corporate response.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Rhesus Pieces posted:

https://twitter.com/sethabramovitch/status/778091768793407488

I gotta admit that's pretty a pretty classy and reasonable corporate response.

Skittles are delicious snacks. People, unless properly prepared, are not.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Like a company who's slogan is "Taste the Rainbow" would support a GOP candidate anyway.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
So is this IT Guy blowing up anywhere other than Reddit?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Is it weird that this worries me less than it would if they were all spread out more? I mean, 1 gun is more than enough to be a threat, but you can only fire so many guns at a time. This just means that while there are a lot of loving guns out there, there are way less gun owners than expected.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

When I moused over the link I read it as "New study finds half of all the guns in America are owned by just 3 people." :clint:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

remusclaw posted:

Is it weird that this worries me less than it would if they were all spread out more? I mean, 1 gun is more than enough to be a threat, but you can only fire so many guns at a time.
Or... can you?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
If I had a burrito bowl, and I told you that it would be like a bomb going off in your toilet, would you eat it?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Kilroy posted:

No it's a non-issue, but it's an echo chamber over there

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

Kilroy posted:

Haven't seen anything.

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

straight up brolic posted:

No it's a non-issue, but it's an echo chamber over there

I'm really starting to get turned off by reddit. I mainly go there for smaller subreddits (cooking, cast iron, Game of Thrones, Halo, Minecraft, etc) but the main subs are pure cancer these days.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Saeka posted:

I'm really starting to get turned off by reddit. I mainly go there for smaller subreddits (cooking, cast iron, Game of Thrones, Halo, Minecraft, etc) but the main subs are pure cancer these days.

"Starting to?"
"These days?"

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Saeka posted:

Same. I thought about delving into r/politics to point out that the questions were about obfuscating the email address itself, not who sent and received the mails, and thus totally above board, but first I asked myself "why even loving bother?" and couldn't come up with a good answer.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Night10194 posted:

Trump storming off the stage at the debate in a huff is basically the best breakdown there's any chance of actually happening.

There is also the possibility that he gets mad at the moderator for "tough" questions and Hillary can drop a workshopped line like "If you cant handle [Moderator Name], then how will you able to deal with our enemies"

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

VitalSigns posted:

Realistically it doesn't matter what Johnson's positions are because his key demographic is "people who want to believe Johnson agrees with them on everything"

He's honestly the only politician outside of that giant fat cokehead from Canada that could declare war and than act like he didn't remember what he scribbled down yesterday because he did it while high.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
What is the email address that is supposed to be such damning evidence that this guy works for Hillary Clinton

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

/pol/ likes to go to reddit sometimes and click a bunch of upvote arrows if they think they have a Big Scoop because they know real people don't read /pol/ and they think reddit Actually Matters. /r/politics is relatively left wing and tepidly pro-hillary most of the time

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

The Glumslinger posted:

There is also the possibility that he gets mad at the moderator for "tough" questions and Hillary can drop a workshopped line like "If you cant handle [Moderator Name], then how will you able to deal with our enemies"

Answer: By slobbering all over them.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

woke wedding drone posted:

What is the email address that is supposed to be such damning evidence that this guy works for Hillary Clinton

If nobody knows then it's because Hillary is clearly hiding it.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Flavahbeast posted:

/r/politics is relatively left wing and tepidly pro-hillary most of the time

Until anything negative happens for Clinton at which point it is brigaded to poo poo by the human dumpster fires (Trumpster fires?) over at r/the_dolan.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Nessus posted:

Or... can you?

On the other hand, it is nice to know that it is relatively easy to become part of a top 3% at something. All you need is 8 guns. Not cheap, but it is relatively affordable as compared to other statistics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Kilroy posted:

Same. I thought about delving into r/politics to point out that the questions were about obfuscating the email address itself, not who sent and received the mails, and thus totally above board, but first I asked myself "why even loving bother?" and couldn't come up with a good answer.
It seems to me that the thought process behind the question was something like "We have to release all these emails, and we just know someone's going to 'accidently' leak them to the press, so after that happens it would be nice if random internet assholes were trying to spam hrc@OBVIOUSLY_FAKE_DOMAIN.com instead of her actual email address." But good luck convincing anyone on reddit about that.

• Locked thread