Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Bourricot posted:

The Ohto Tasche has a pretty similar design (it's a very small pen though). From the same company, the Dude also looks pretty neat.
I don't have either of them, but from what I remember of my Internet searches, they're good pens, on par with the Muji.

Muji fountain pens are made by Ohto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I just noticed that the London Fog Homo Sapiens has a longer clip than all the other versions

VISCONTI! :argh:

Oh who am I kidding, I can't stay mad at that pen, the cap is so pearlescent, and the swirls have such an amazing depth to them.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

grack posted:

Muji fountain pens are made by Ohto.

:monocle:

Similar pens: lamy cp1, logo

Edit: fat version faber castell ambition

best bale fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 14, 2016

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

howe_sam posted:

I just noticed that the London Fog Homo Sapiens has a longer clip than all the other versions

Oh who am I kidding, I can't stay mad at that pen, the cap is so pearlescent, and the swirls have such an amazing depth to them.

I'm actually selling my bronze Homo Sapiens in favour of the new Dark Age HS because I'm sick of my hands smelling like bronze every time I use the drat pen

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

howe_sam posted:

$$$$$$$$$$$$

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Pixelante posted:

And to keep the lovely conversations going--what's your #1 ink(s) and why? I'm new to fountain pens and have ink ADD but my favourite pen always has Diamine Ancient Copper in it. Not particularly water resistant, but it shades between rust and near-black. Sometimes needs a little help starting again if I pause to read with the lid off, but it always comes back with a quick scribble. Helped me grind through five pages of notes, last night.

Do you have any disappointing inks that you regret buying?

Do we have the same ancient copper? Mine is a gross orange color. I'm hoping that my Lamy m nib arrives soon and I get more shading.

My number 1 has to be Baystate blue, it's just so vibrant. But since it has a reputation of eating pens I don't use it much anymore.

My number one that I actually use is probably tsuki yo.

I go nuts ordering ink samples so lots I don't really like, but they are cheap enough I have no regrets.

Bring on both black swans in x roses!

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I had not been using heart of darkness for a while and decided to ink up my Lamy 2000 with it. I forgot how great it is! Just a great in to write with - really wet and such a great flow. It feels really different since I had just been using iroshizuku inks for a long time. It is a great match for the 2000 - I had been trying more vibrant inks with it but seeing the super black lines coming out of it is just a great match.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Demon_Corsair posted:

Do we have the same ancient copper? Mine is a gross orange color. I'm hoping that my Lamy m nib arrives soon and I get more shading.

Maybe there are various brands that carry the same colour? I am talking about Diamine.

Stupid fun fact: when looking at google one search suggestion was "ancient copper vs oxblood" which are the two I have in my daily use pens. I am more mainstream than I thought.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Sep 15, 2016

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Keetron posted:

Maybe there are various brands that carry the same colour? I am talking about Diamine.

Stupid fun fact: when looking at google one search suggestion was "ancient copper vs oxblood" which are the two I have in my daily use pens. I am more mainstream than I thought.

They're up there with Heart of Darkness, Baystate Blue, and Waterman Fl. Blue in terms of most-mentioned inks, I'd think.

I don't really have a favorite ink, but I really like using this Pilot Black. Not only is it nicely black/grey, it's got a little cup in the bottle so it's easy to fill, regardless of how much ink is actually in the bottle. It's a pleasure to use, especially as I find myself once again getting near the bottom of a bottle of J. Herbin and realizing I'll have to use a drat syringe to fill up a converter anyway.

That gross orange might be Apache Sunset? That's an ink that shades from red to yellow, if you have the right pen for it.

My biggest ink disappointment would probably be this specific bottle of Noodler's Dostoyevsky (or however the hell Noodler's decided to spell it). If you look at any ink review, you'll find a very nice, clear teal. And I can get that very nice, lovely teal — if I use a dip pen, where the ink just gushes out of because (at least in my experience) Noodler's anything and a dip pen don't go well together. If I put it in any pen, I might get a lovely bit of teal, but within a few words it'll revert back to its standard form of "blue highlighter," which is utterly useless to me. It also tends to separate pretty quickly, leaving some nice blue sediment in the pen (which is, at the very least, a pain in the rear end to wash out).

But since I've never actually seen these complains echoed anywhere, it seems I just ended up with a crap bottle. That said, 2mL of Dostoevsky to .5mL of Red-Black, so long as it stays mixed, produces something like a slightly bulletproof Poussiere de Lune, which is nice.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Iroshizuku inks are just gorgeous and vibrant in general, but I'm really loving the Ajisai in my Lamy 2k. It's blue enough that it looks professional, but there's the tiniest hint of purple and the shading is lovely.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Demon_Corsair posted:

I've had it in a Noodler's Charlie (pretty fine), a Pilot M, and now a TWSBI mini B. I love it in all of them. I let my goon-bro PlaneGuy put it in his pen, but I don't think it's as appealing to him as it is to me, so it may just be a taste thing. I've even been using it for inkwashes in art experiments.

Lately I've had the 1670 Rouge Hematite in a stub nib and it's awesome, despite the occasional hiccough that I attribute to gold particles piling up in the nib. It shades light to dark red, but on the heavier lines it sheens with a light green/yellow from the gold, which sounds horrible, but is really striking. I do all my to-do lists with it on regular paper. A drop of water lifts it right off the page, but it's well-behaved otherwise.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pixelante posted:

A drop of water lifts it right off the page, but it's well-behaved otherwise.

ah man does it ever. I had a page of notes written with it and somehow got the paper wet, condensation from a drink I think (it was a fairly small amount of water) and there was red EVERYWHERE.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Everything Burrito posted:

ah man does it ever. I had a page of notes written with it and somehow got the paper wet, condensation from a drink I think (it was a fairly small amount of water) and there was red EVERYWHERE.

I learned from making a shopping list with it, then picking up recently misted produce at the grocery store. It looked like I'd burned my hands recently.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Everything Burrito posted:

Even ever-so-slightly sweaty hands'll do it.

Even if you're touching something you wrote months ago. It's a lovely ink but goddamn does it not want to stay put.

Which is weird, because it doesn't just fall off your hands if you go to wash them.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I had the same issue with Diamine Royal Blue. Lovely colour but it'll smear weeks later.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Well, I have to write off two pens due to bad sections. This Recife my mother-in-law gave me that she had for her old man and never used had a crack in the section. The Peerless I was gifted for my birthday had a bad sac and the section wouldn't come off. I ended up warping it trying to pull it off after warming it up with a hair dryer. The section only separated just a hair in all of that. I know I suck, but that sounds very exceptional. It didn't have enough of a separation to clearly cut beforehand. It made no sense.

So should I just keep the nibs on these guys or something? The body of the Recife is actually really nice, although everything else about it is admittedly pretty bad.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

If the nibs are nice you may as well keep them.

Went to a Pelikan hub event tonight, Pelikan gave out full bottles of Edelstein Aquamarine as well as pen cases as swag. That was pretty cool of them.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
I enjoy the Diamine Shimmer inks way too much (Purple Pazzazz is probably my favorite), but Iroshizuku yu-yake is great and I love it so much for everyday writing. I'm very tempted to get samples of more Iroshizuku because they look so much better in personal then I thought they did when browsing goulet.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Pilot Iroshizuku inks are my absolute favourite and constitute the largest part of my ink collection. They shade so well and are beautifully behaved in every pen and on every paper I've tried. Yu-yake is such a pretty orange with fantastic shading, even by Iroshizuku standards, and it compliments Yama-budo so well, which is probably the nicest Iroshizuku colour. It's just a shame they're so expensive outside of Japan: I picked up as many as I could when I visited earlier this year and ask friends to bring some back when they go home to see their families.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Have any of you used Massdrop for anything fountain pen-related? There's a good deal of stuff on there.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/j-herbin-ink-100ml

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/rhodia-staplebound-notepads

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Pondex posted:

Have any of you used Massdrop for anything fountain pen-related? There's a good deal of stuff on there.

I've used it for a few things. You really have to check on their prices and see if they're actually deals, often they're not cheaper than just buying the product somewhere else.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Pondex posted:

A few of us (including me) got a Lamy 2000 on the most recent drop. They seem to run them for that specific pen every so often. No complaints on my end. Got the pen a couple of days before they had originally estimated, even.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I recently bought a pilot metro from a cool store near me that sells fountain pens, antique puppets and various odds and ends. I like it very much, but the clerk said I shouldn't use it with Noodler's or other high pigment inks because it can make it run spotty. Is that true, or is he full of poo poo? Because I'd really like to get some nicer inks.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Noodlers doesn't make pigmented inks. There are a few pigmented inks that can be used with fountain pens but in general they should be avoided. Definitely don't use anything marketed as calligraphy ink ex. Speedball or Windsor & Newton.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

grack posted:

Noodlers doesn't make pigmented inks. There are a few pigmented inks that can be used with fountain pens but in general they should be avoided. Definitely don't use anything marketed as calligraphy ink ex. Speedball or Windsor & Newton.

They do, however, make extremely dye heavy inks that can clog up your feed. Private Reserve is another offender there.

For a Metro I wouldn't worry about it too much. Careful of the Baystate inks because they stain everything & I can never remember what feeds it is they damage, but otherwise you should be fine.

If it were an antique or expensive pen I wouldn't put either of those brands in it, but a Metro is both tough and able to be completely serviced if you do get a clog.

Some Berning Red dried up in my Vista and it took SO LONG to rinse it all out, the tiniest remaining fleck would make the water run blood red again. :v:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Stop stabbing people with your fountain pens, then.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
It's just a metro and you shouldn't feel awful if you do gunk it up.

Noodler's generally work fine, they do make the occasional ink that will cause issues. Some of those issues being melting your pen feed... But they do make inks that work well in generally and a lot have waterproof qualities. QC is not the greatest though.

IG inks made for fountain pens, like KWZ and R&K inks work pretty well. You just have to clean them more frequently but should not cause huge issues. Waterproof as well.

Pigmented inks made for fountain pens like Sei-Boku and Kiwa-Guro also need to be flushed more often.

IG and Pigmented inks are pretty awesome if you don't mind washing them more often. I'm a big fan of Sailor, Iroshizuku, and some R&K inks.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

pienipple posted:

They do, however, make extremely dye heavy inks that can clog up your feed. Private Reserve is another offender there.

For a Metro I wouldn't worry about it too much. Careful of the Baystate inks because they stain everything & I can never remember what feeds it is they damage, but otherwise you should be fine.

decade-old safaris.

that said anything that isn't going to just straight-up wash away in the water'll eventually clog up a pen. Make sure you actually clean it once in a while and don't put india ink in it and it'll be fine.

e. vvvv I rarely put the same ink in twice, so every time one runs dry it gets put aside to be cleaned. But I'm also pretty lazy and have enough pens that I can just let them sit for a few weeks like that.
Don't be like me, that just makes cleaning them take way longer.

I mean, I'm not disassembling them or anything, because that's insane. Just thoroughly flushing them.

Zenostein fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 18, 2016

rio
Mar 20, 2008

How often do you all clean your pens? I never do other than running water through when changing ink so I probably should.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

rio posted:

How often do you all clean your pens? I never do other than running water through when changing ink so I probably should.

I clean them when I change ink colors or if I am putting them away for a while. I clean them by running water through them. Usually, nothing more is required.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

grack posted:

If the nibs are nice you may as well keep them.

Went to a Pelikan hub event tonight, Pelikan gave out full bottles of Edelstein Aquamarine as well as pen cases as swag. That was pretty cool of them.

Is there some easy manner for reusing them? One of the nibs is a very flexible gold nib, and I'd love to install it on something.

On another topic, is there a fairly cheap pen with a good-enough flow to make all those 1870s inks show off all their goodness on Tomoe River paper? It looks like the B5 loose leaf sheets of that I ordered awhile ago are coming in.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

So I accidentally lost a feed for a pilot metro down a drain. Was rinsing it out and then the nib and feed fell out, nabbed the nib in time, but the feed is gone. Checked the drain trap, it's gone. Any way to buy just a feed? I mean, I can use it as a dip pen, but uh, I'd rather not? I could just buy another one, but the Canadian dollar loving sucks and the local shop charges $25 CAD for a metro.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

WilliamAnderson posted:

So I accidentally lost a feed for a pilot metro down a drain. Was rinsing it out and then the nib and feed fell out, nabbed the nib in time, but the feed is gone. Checked the drain trap, it's gone. Any way to buy just a feed? I mean, I can use it as a dip pen, but uh, I'd rather not? I could just buy another one, but the Canadian dollar loving sucks and the local shop charges $25 CAD for a metro.

A Penmanship or Plumix should have the same feed.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Kerbtree posted:

A Penmanship or Plumix should have the same feed.

I want the nib of a Plumix, and don't require its feed. Don't suppose you live on Vancouver Island, WilliamAnderson? And yes, the dollar sucks hard for us right now. At least the postal service isn't teetering on shut-down any more. No idea who carries Plumixes, though.

My last order from WonderPens came with a TWSBI nib that vomits ink on the page, straight out of the package. It was flushed with water and dishsoap, to no avail. The WonderPens customer service (I'm pretty sure the shop is just two people) wanted me to mail it back to them to see if they can fix it, or if it's really a manufacturing problem, they'd send a new one. I feel that if a brand new nib needs more fixing than a flush, the store should send a new nib. It's fair that they ask for the buggy one back, but I got uppity about the idea of paying full price for postal hassle, as well as the possibility of having paid full price for a thing they had to repair.

Are there any other decent Canadian shops with an online storefront?

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Pixelante posted:

I want the nib of a Plumix, and don't require its feed. Don't suppose you live on Vancouver Island, WilliamAnderson? And yes, the dollar sucks hard for us right now. At least the postal service isn't teetering on shut-down any more. No idea who carries Plumixes, though.

My last order from WonderPens came with a TWSBI nib that vomits ink on the page, straight out of the package. It was flushed with water and dishsoap, to no avail. The WonderPens customer service (I'm pretty sure the shop is just two people) wanted me to mail it back to them to see if they can fix it, or if it's really a manufacturing problem, they'd send a new one. I feel that if a brand new nib needs more fixing than a flush, the store should send a new nib. It's fair that they ask for the buggy one back, but I got uppity about the idea of paying full price for postal hassle, as well as the possibility of having paid full price for a thing they had to repair.

Are there any other decent Canadian shops with an online storefront?

Nah, I'm in Kitchener. Only local pen shop is Phidon down in Cambridge. I'll probably give them a call later this week.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I just went to refill my EF black Safari and it came up sludgy and slimy. I had heard of Private Reserve ink getting nasty but didn't think anything of it...needless to say I won't be buying their ink again and the rest of the ebony blue bottle is now in the trash. It was probably a year and a half old.

I think I got the gunk out of the feed by repeatedly filling and expelling it with water but what should I be doing to make sure it is totally clean and won't contaminate the next bottle I stick it in? I may have already contaminated a bottle of tsukushu, which sucks, so I will keep an eye on it.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

rio posted:

I just went to refill my EF black Safari and it came up sludgy and slimy. I had heard of Private Reserve ink getting nasty but didn't think anything of it...needless to say I won't be buying their ink again and the rest of the ebony blue bottle is now in the trash. It was probably a year and a half old.

I think I got the gunk out of the feed by repeatedly filling and expelling it with water but what should I be doing to make sure it is totally clean and won't contaminate the next bottle I stick it in? I may have already contaminated a bottle of tsukushu, which sucks, so I will keep an eye on it.

The nib and feed come out of the Safari pretty easily. Stick a piece of scotch tape on the back of the nib to slide it off easily, then the feed pulls straight out with some resistance, it has two parts, like a little slide piece on top, so you can clean it deeply.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Had literally the same thing happen with PR Ebony Green and a Lamy Vista. If you want to see pictures of mold islands in ink bottles they're in my old posts in this thread.

I completely disassembled it and sanitized with diluted bleach, which did not harm the feed material. I also ran it through an ultra sonic cleaner to get any remaining particulate out but that wasn't super necessary since I removed the nib and feed from the section. Just be careful replacing the feed because it only goes one way and forcing it will damage it.

I didn't contaminate anything else in my collection and the Vista works fine to this day.

Edit: I also replaced the converter in the Vista, if you want to sterilize it take it completely apart and make sure to wipe out any silicone grease that might be in the tube

pienipple fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 20, 2016

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I got some J. Herbin Poissiere de Lune and it is a wonderful color. Mysterious misty night time purple that isn't garish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unkle77
Sep 9, 2009

Please prepare me one of these... Chocolate Egg Creams.
Ran my Custom 74 clean out of Yama Budo so I decided to try Ku Jaku. What a glorious teal