Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

dad phoenix is good, disbarred mastermind hobo nick is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

dad phoenix is good, disbarred mastermind hobo nick is bad

I agree.

Though I think hobo Nick would've been at least sort of fun if they got rid of the mastermind part. I kind of enjoy him messing with Apollo in cases 2 and 3.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
"As a father, I have to say I'm very concerned that you're still waving around my daughter's panties."

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
6.3 is probably the best non-final case in the entire series, what a ride

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I thought you guys were talking about Greyerl when you said Jean, who was yet another "surprise they're a chick" character. She was also handled in kind of an eyerolling fashion, though less so than Robin. Her voice literally changes at the reveal for no discernible reason. Capcom's not very good at these characters, are they?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Pollyanna posted:

I thought you guys were talking about Greyerl when you said Jean, who was yet another "surprise they're a chick" character. She was also handled in kind of an eyerolling fashion, though less so than Robin. Her voice literally changes at the reveal for no discernible reason. Capcom's not very good at these characters, are they?

While nothing in PW v Layton is interesting past the first case, it sure makes a lot more sense to use that trope in a (fake) medieval society. Plus I just interpreted it as her voice changing due to no longer faking a boy's voice. Occam's razor and all.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Beat it. That was a Good Game. Playtime was 21:34.

I was less wowed by Case 5 as a whole, maybe since I guessed a number of the twists ahead of time. It was a very good case, but it doesn't beat 2-4 or 3-5 for me. Did not call the twist about Ga'ran being unable to channel from the start. Some of them you simply didn't have the information to call, though, like the photo actually being 15 years old instead of 23, but I strongly suspected Rayfa wasn't Ga'ran's for quite a while. Also disappointed with the final breakdown - they're usually just more incredible than that. Roger Retinz/Mr. Reus had the best breakdown of the game, honestly. Nahyuta was...kinda there, all game? There's really not too much to say about him, he wasn't terribly interesting. Dhurke is a humorously bad dad but a super cool guy overall and his last bit was kickass. Datz was awesome all game. Ema is cute and good and her theme is wonderful and I hope there is more Ema in the future, although Gumshoe really needs to show up again already :(. The music was overall some of the best in the series, especially investigation themes. The pun game was insanely On Point and Inga's full name was just absolutely ridiculous and wonderful. :allears:

Now I can reread the thread and enjoy people's reactions and any things I missed out on. I'll probably have more thoughts on it as I do.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I heard one of the versions of the Trilogy was hosed beyond belief; which one is it?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Alabaster White posted:

I heard one of the versions of the Trilogy was hosed beyond belief; which one is it?

iOS was hosed beyond belief, 3DS version is based on the iOS version but fixes every problem.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well I still think some of the redone sprites look not great but otherwise yes the 3DS version is fine and the most convenient way to get those games these days.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

any word on when the DLC case is coming out?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Carlosologist posted:

any word on when the DLC case is coming out?

September 29th.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

NRVNQSR posted:

September 29th.

Super! I can't wait to see Larry return and how Athena reacts to the living contradiction

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Regy Rusty posted:

Well I still think some of the redone sprites look not great but otherwise yes the 3DS version is fine and the most convenient way to get those games these days.

Yeah it looks weird because it uses official artwork for characters but uses gameboy animations so it all looks pretty awkward. That said, everything else is unchanged and I think some typos were fixed???? and it's probably the best price point for a fantastic trilogy.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

cloofish posted:

Yeah it looks weird because it uses official artwork for characters but uses gameboy animations so it all looks pretty awkward. That said, everything else is unchanged and I think some typos were fixed???? and it's probably the best price point for a fantastic trilogy.

Yep all typos from the iOS version were fixed and many from the original trilogy as well. Including the most famous of all: "the miracle never happen"

The worst sin committed by the rerelease however is that they switched Turner Grey to pushing up his glasses with his index finger instead of his middle finger. Disgusting

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Lurdiak posted:

It was very obvious what was going on despite the attempts of localizers.

Also I took Jean Armstrong much better than I should've because he looks very much like an acquaintance of mine at the time who would probably have acted exactly as... "fabulous" as that if he wasn't afraid of getting gay bashed.

I wasn't bothered by him because I thought he was a fascinatingly weird character, being a flamboyantly gay ex-con that wanted to be a chef but was total poo poo at it. It's unfortunate to look back on now, but we forget how much less enlightened most of us were even ten years ago.

Robin Newman's character is a product of Japan obviously not understanding transsexuality at all, and making fumbling stabs at depicting it, plus the Ace Attorney writers being in love with CRAZY TWISTS sometimes to their own detriment. It's clear from the localization blog that the game writers just throw crazy poo poo at the wall, and take their favorite nutty things to put in the game. Sometimes it gets having a drone testify in court, and sometimes it gets them stumbling into a landmine of insensitivity.
also parents making their daughter pretend to be a boy for the sake of her legal career makes a shred of sense in Japanese culture, but the last time it would've made any sense in the US is, I dunno, the early 80's maybe.
I was writing a story with a teenage boy character that turns out to be a girl raised male by her hyper-macho survivalist father, but thought better of it because of how it might come off. It might be good to have a moratorium on stories featuring characters that are almost but not really trans, and just have actual trans characters.

Federal Preserves
Jun 30, 2011

Or is it right?
End game spoilers I had guessed that Inga had prosopagnosia through the notepad, but I thought that perhaps even Ga'ran had it, thus suggesting that she could not channel, and that Rayfa was taken as her daughter because the two of them would have had more kids that wouldn't be able to channel. And that this would somehow be used as evidence. I had it all figured out...

... Except, I have no idea where I got that from, and for some reason, I was waiting for that double reveal the entire time.

Anyway, turns out she just can't channel. Still a fantastic game. First game where you have defend a GHOST :ghost:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Regy Rusty posted:

Yep all typos from the iOS version were fixed and many from the original trilogy as well. Including the most famous of all: "the miracle never happen"

The worst sin committed by the rerelease however is that they switched Turner Grey to pushing up his glasses with his index finger instead of his middle finger. Disgusting

Unforgivable

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

What was insensitive about the Newmann twist other than the fact that we didn't get to out a transperson like some people seemed to want?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

(Case 5 Day 2) Honestly, when I saw the notepad of Inga's descriptions, I thought they were going to set up a reveal that he was intending to use his underlings to frame the members of the main cast by dressing up one of his goons as himself, and killing him while he had a "view" of the (disguised) person(s) mentioned in the note before they would be called in for the hostage exchange. I was fully expecting him to be revealed to be alive in the course of the trial up until a bit after the seance proper.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Irony Be My Shield posted:

What was insensitive about the Newmann twist other than the fact that we didn't get to out a transperson like some people seemed to want?

Like, you know, maybe not have such a twist at all? It's kind of a damned if you do damned if you don't scenario. Outing a transperson would be bad (or at least absurdly hard to do sensitively, especially in a series as lighthearted and wacky as AA), but going the "person is secretly the other gender" route just leads to the other problems we've been talking about like trans erasure and reinforcing the notion that a person's birth sex is their real gender. I like Robin's overall schtick with the finger wagging and the high strung-ness, it's cute and funny, but it's not that I want her to be trans, it's that it's not really territory for a wacky reveal in the first place.

E: Honestly, they could've kept the same personality twist if she was always a girl, but just really serious and fiery until it turned out she wanted to be a flamboyantly feminine sculptor instead of a prosecutor.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Sep 20, 2016

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

Lurdiak posted:

A general rule I've heard from everyone who ever worked on anything in 3D is that making a new model takes for-loving ever and that's why a bunch of early CG tv shows had so few characters. The easy part is animating them once you've built the rig. I assume this holds true even today.

Another thing to consider is the use of 3D models that function and look like 2D sprites, ie. snapping from one pose from another instead of animating the transition so that the end result is identical to how sprites behave, like in the new Guilty Gear game. I don't think this applies as much to the new AA games though since there's a lot less animations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Spatula City posted:

Robin Newman's character is a product of Japan obviously not understanding transsexuality at all, and making fumbling stabs at depicting it, plus the Ace Attorney writers being in love with CRAZY TWISTS sometimes to their own detriment.
Let's not get reductive here. There's plenty of Japan that understands transsexuality.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I'm not entirely sure, but then, I'm not trans, and I know for a fact a number of trans people were irritated with the whole thing. Do we as cisgendered people actually have the right to argue with them taking umbrage at a gender reveal like that being used as a cheap plot twist? I don't think so.
The issue is, as I said, that we need a moratorium on plotlines with characters that seem almost but not quite trans, but it's not really American media with that problem. Japanese media for some reason FUCKIN' LOVES IT. There's this otherwise fantastic manga called the Liar Game that poorly handles a character who is probably transgendered, but first shock revealed to be a crossdresser before the author changes their mind and decides, oh no, they're totally trans. but for some reason keeps having the protagonist call her "Mister".

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
My main bug about Robin is that Japan apparently has some really weird notions on what constitutes hypermasculinity.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

They have peculiar notions about gender. Homosexuality is mostly incomprehensible to them, so they treat it largely as either comic relief or SECRET SHAME. At least, judging by their media that comes here. and sometimes they come close to possibly suggesting homosexuality, but can't pull the trigger, and weird things happen (coughPersona4cough).

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Spatula City posted:

I'm not entirely sure, but then, I'm not trans, and I know for a fact a number of trans people were irritated with the whole thing. Do we as cisgendered people actually have the right to argue with them taking umbrage at a gender reveal like that being used as a cheap plot twist? I don't think so.
These people seem to be ignoring that there is a rich tradition of women behaving like men in order to advance in life, which in a gender-disparate society like Japan may still make sense. Not everything is about sexual identity.

Also, this particular series doesn't really care about sexuality as such, does it? Like, orientation-wise, for instance, we know next to nothing about the main characters except that Phoenix had a girlfriend way back in college. (And that's, I think, a very good thing. Relationships are the sort of thing best left to fanfiction.)

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

meristem posted:

These people seem to be ignoring that there is a rich tradition of women behaving like men in order to advance in life, which in a gender-disparate society like Japan may still make sense. Not everything is about sexual identity.

Also, this particular series doesn't really care about sexuality as such, does it? Like, orientation-wise, for instance, we know next to nothing about the main characters except that Phoenix had a girlfriend way back in college. (And that's, I think, a very good thing. Relationships are the sort of thing best left to fanfiction.)

In Edgeworth's case, I think he's all but confirmed to be asexual.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I suppose that's a pitfall of bringing Japanese games to the Western world, and always kinda has been (inasmuch as Japanese cultural norms can be really, really different from Western norms). but you'd think, given this particular series' significant fanbase outside of Japan, they might have some level of concern for what non-Japanese players would think. but no.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Spatula City posted:

They have peculiar notions about gender. Homosexuality is mostly incomprehensible to them,

lol

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Spatula City posted:

I suppose that's a pitfall of bringing Japanese games to the Western world, and always kinda has been (inasmuch as Japanese cultural norms can be really, really different from Western norms). but you'd think, given this particular series' significant fanbase outside of Japan, they might have some level of concern for what non-Japanese players would think. but no.

The game is set in Japan and is going to reflect Japanese norms.

Like, the handling of Robin is weird because it's so easy to read her as trans (especially since they don't bother explaining anything about why her parents have her act like a dude) only to then have the player out her while she protests which is kinda messed up, and i'm decently certain there was many AA fans in Japan as well who weren't fond of it. But to say "man sure is strange that this Japanese game with Japanese characters, set in Japan, occasionally expresses Japanese culture." is sorta dumb.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Case 5 went on a bit too dang long for my tastes.
I was expecting the thing Dhurke mentioned that Apollo would have to figure out for himself was that Jove Justice was the one who set the fire under orders by ga'han or some 'your dad was evil' twist but it was a lot more straight forward than i expected it to be. not really a complaint or anything though.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

The worst thing about 5-3 imo is that Means is so blatantly evil and the murderer. What a retarded lovely villain with an awesome breakdown.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Spatula City posted:

They have peculiar notions about gender. Homosexuality is mostly incomprehensible to them, .

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I didn't mean to imply there's no gay people or LGBT culture in Japan, but that the mainstream culture that makes it to America paints their perception of gay people in a really odd light. It's like, they're not as horrified about it as a lot of people in the West were and still are, but they can't take it seriously, and LGBT characters are clowns, figures of comic relief.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kajeesus posted:

My main bug about Robin is that Japan apparently has some really weird notions on what constitutes hypermasculinity.

I do wonder why this character in a comedic visual novel would have traits that are highly over emphasised on both their masculine and feminine personas. I wonder if this character was being played for humour and levity as opposed to being a serious social commentary on being forced to play a gender role you do not identify with in society. Nah, surely not.

Spatula City posted:

They have peculiar notions about gender. Homosexuality is mostly incomprehensible to them, so they treat it largely as either comic relief or SECRET SHAME. At least, judging by their media that comes here. and sometimes they come close to possibly suggesting homosexuality, but can't pull the trigger, and weird things happen (coughPersona4cough).

Maybe you should actually take your time to look into a culture and learn its values, regardless of whether or not you like them, before you come in saying "they're this or that" lest you come across as culturally ignorant at best and a little racist at worst.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Spatula City posted:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm going for a Masters degree in Gender Studies at Harvard using Ace Attorney as the basis of my thesis, AMA.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

cloofish posted:

In Edgeworth's case, I think he's all but confirmed to be asexual.
Eh, personally I ship him with that suitcase lady stewardess from AA:I. Which is exactly my point when I say that relationships are best left to fanfiction.

(Although I'd like a case to happen on Gumshoe and Maggey's wedding... or maybe, given the 7-year-gap, an anniversary. I forgot about Gumshoe and Maggey.)

Spatula City posted:

Ehh, in practice that would just mean adhering to current American norms, and that would be horrible and destroy a part of what makes the series so unique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I do wonder why this character in a comedic visual novel would have traits that are highly over emphasised on both their masculine and feminine personas. I wonder if this character was being played for humour and levity as opposed to being a serious social commentary on being forced to play a gender role you do not identify with in society. Nah, surely not.

I have no idea what you think I'm saying.

I just think it's weird that the entirety of Robin's male persona is "shouts a lot" and "smashes pottery," and everyone around her goes "wow, what a man's man."