Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Super Slash posted:

Ignoring the nutso request, more scanners and MFP's need to implement loving LDAP and stuff, global address book search is awesome compared to constantly being whined at because someone's name isn't on a scanner list.
Corollary, I just spend the last 3 days arguing with someone who didn't want LDAP lookup on the new MFC. She wants to manually input every user into the address book because.... reason? Job security I guess? :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Stuff that doesn't link into AD in a sane way and is advertised at anything other than a micro-business needs to be pitched into the trash.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I figured this was going to link to the installer for Java or the HP Printer driver download page or something. Kind of sad it didn't.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

spankmeister posted:

I sure hope fortinet has some sane defaults for the crypto else there are gonna be a whole lotta insecure vpn's out there....

I was surprised how secure their defaults were. I expected to have to just set my own up.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

duz posted:

I figured this was going to link to the installer for Java or the HP Printer driver download page or something. Kind of sad it didn't.

I thought it was all in the URL. Netscape? CompuServe? JSP? And then the page itself also says AOL.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And then it turns out that these things all still exist :psyduck:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Data Graham posted:

And then it turns out that these things all still exist :psyduck:

Yes, it's my favorite webpage on these internets.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Judge Schnoopy posted:

IT Director saves engineers from sitting in on meetings, setting expectations, discussing changes or solutions, working with budgets, and arguing for raises. It takes a full-time position to stand in front of the IT department and take the brunt of time-wasting inefficiencies so the engineers / help-desk guys can focus on getting real work done.

And that was why I stopped being an IT manager.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Crowley posted:

And that was why I stopped being an IT manager.

Do you at least find the experience worthwhile for professional and personal growth? Or would you have skipped your time as IT Manager to do something more focused on the tech side?

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Do you at least find the experience worthwhile for professional and personal growth? Or would you have skipped your time as IT Manager to do something more focused on the tech side?

No. It's loving terrible if you have any technical skills and drive at all, you'll loving hate it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

SeaborneClink posted:

Corollary, I just spend the last 3 days arguing with someone who didn't want LDAP lookup on the new MFC. She wants to manually input every user into the address book because.... reason? Job security I guess? :iiam:

I went out of my way to set up LDAP on all of our desktop HP multifunction printers so that people didn't have to input an email every time they needed to send a document. I also set up the machines to scan to hidden network shares so they didn't have to email, they could just scan it directly to a departmental shared folder, or their desktop.

Literally everyone still added all the emails they could ever think to use into the address book anyway.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
A project manager came in:

quote:

We updated all of our cases to critical to help you out.

:suicide:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

nullfunction posted:

Ahahaha. If all cases are critical then nothing is critical.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

nullfunction posted:

Guys I looked up "help" in the dictionary and it says this is the opposite.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

DigitalMocking posted:

No. It's loving terrible if you have any technical skills and drive at all, you'll loving hate it.

yaaaaay :smith:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
About every 6 months the CEO tells me he wants to start using a password management program. Each time I recommend LastPass because he might actually be able to use it, and each time he ignores my requests to get it set up. On Friday he made his latest request so once again I get to chase him around for 2 weeks before dropping it until the next scheduled exercise in futility.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

There are people who really like being managers. They like minutia and paperwork and organization. Those people in general in my experience, aren't highly skilled technical people.

It sucks when you don't get to actually do anything any more, just direct traffic. After a while it feels like you're trying to herd a bunch of retarded cats through an obstacle course.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

DigitalMocking posted:

There are people who really like being managers. They like minutia and paperwork and organization. Those people in general in my experience, aren't highly skilled technical people.

It sucks when you don't get to actually do anything any more, just direct traffic. After a while it feels like you're trying to herd a bunch of retarded cats through an obstacle course.

Not an IT manager, but as a manager elsewhere it's just a completely different feel. Like sure you're not getting elbows deep in the aspects of the project but a good manager will make sure the right people are doing the right things and act as blockers to interference of the project. They should still be a pretty integral part of making sure things are getting done and getting done in a timely manner. Some people like being in that more of a support position.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Garrand posted:

Not an IT manager, but as a manager elsewhere it's just a completely different feel. Like sure you're not getting elbows deep in the aspects of the project but a good manager will make sure the right people are doing the right things and act as blockers to interference of the project. They should still be a pretty integral part of making sure things are getting done and getting done in a timely manner. Some people like being in that more of a support position.

Believe me, I'm not judging. A good manager is worth their weight in gold. I'm just not a good manager. I'm too interested in the particulars of each project and the technology behind it.

Plus I hate dealing with all the HR stuff.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I've been an I.T. manager and a one person department for about 8 years so I've been herding myself, and I'm sick and tired of my poo poo!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Are you your own backup?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Do you have to cover for yourself if you go on vacation or are sick?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
So you just manage yourself? Meaning when you are sick you call yourself to tell you that you have to cover for your sick coworker?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

SEKCobra posted:

So you just manage yourself? Meaning when you are sick you call yourself to tell you that you have to cover for your sick coworker?

"Oh, sick AGAIN? You lying gently caress don't bother coming in on Monday either! I'll call ME to come in instead, and then we'll see who gets a raise in two months at review time mister!"

As for my potential IT Manager position, it's a department of 1 that manages MSP involvement with the company. So yeah herding retarded cats through an obstacle course sounds about right, but without the headache of HR involvement.

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 19, 2016

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Then he sexually assaults himself in the bathroom.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dick Trauma posted:

I've been an I.T. manager and a one person department for about 8 years so I've been herding myself, and I'm sick and tired of my poo poo!

What an rear end in a top hat you must be, constantly looking over your own shoulder and criticizing every single thing you work on so harshly. It's a wonder you haven't caused yourself to quit with your lovely overbearing management.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

On the plus side we're coming up on the one year mark since having a meeting of any kind with my boss. The last one was a 30 minute preliminary budget meeting she postponed at least 8 times that wound up being 5 minutes, 4 of which she spent on a personal call. That was the last I heard about my budget.

God willing she will once again skip giving me a performance review because it would be so stupid I would have to pull a George H. Bush, throwing up into her lap and then passing out.

2016 will go down in my record books as The Year Without a Boss.

EDIT: VVVVV Oh I still get micromanaged, but it's mostly through email.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 19, 2016

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Hey, at least she isn't a micro-manager or a macro-manager.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Dick Trauma posted:

About every 6 months the CEO tells me he wants to start using a password management program. Each time I recommend LastPass because he might actually be able to use it, and each time he ignores my requests to get it set up. On Friday he made his latest request so once again I get to chase him around for 2 weeks before dropping it until the next scheduled exercise in futility.

I have the same deal with someone else; she kept complaining her laptop was slow and it's actually a valid point since its using a 5200rpm HDD, so I get a 500gb Samsung EVO 850 to replace it with. But each and every time she pipes up to say her laptop is slow, I remind her I've got her upgrade sitting pretty waiting for install, to which she says she's too busy maybe another day, go to step 1.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Super Slash posted:

I have the same deal with someone else; she kept complaining her laptop was slow and it's actually a valid point since its using a 5200rpm HDD, so I get a 500gb Samsung EVO 850 to replace it with. But each and every time she pipes up to say her laptop is slow, I remind her I've got her upgrade sitting pretty waiting for install, to which she says she's too busy maybe another day, go to step 1.

Same thing with my CFO. Nice new desktop, she doesn't want a company laptop, any away work she does via VPN and RDP into local desktop. Every time I mention the replacement that we purchased in 2015 I get "oh maybe next week or month, it's busy and I'm afraid I'm going to lose something, I lost something last time". Okay I'm not going to wipe the old computer. I'm half tempted to just set it up next to her existing computer after running a robocopy on C$ because of course she has special snowflake stuff saved all over the drive. And 20 special snowflake programs.

If that computer isn't setup next year I'm going to take it for myself and say it's too slow and buy a new one for her because it's pretty beefy. She demanded it costs 3x the price of the standard and it can be hard to spend that much without getting into overkill territory. It was really weird case of submitting a PO and getting it rejected for being too cheap with an i7 SSD and 8GB of RAM, fine have a RAID1 and 32GB of RAM and a faster i7, not my money.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Judge Schnoopy posted:

For personal growth it was a huge boon. It solidified my suspicion that I'm pretty drat good at communicating IT-related stuff to non-tech people. It made me realise how important it is to be proactive with other department heads and when and how to get a budget landed without people being either disappointed or mad at the cost. It also confirmed that I'm essentially a scatterbrain and finally got me to keeping project folders for everything I do - both in file/folder format, and in real-world folders for physical attachments. Oh, and it really hammered home how to cover my rear end when I sat down and dug into my predecessor's accounts and budgets. It was evident that the CEO's right hand had been using IT as a dumping ground for bills he didn't care to find a proper place for.

I went from a sysadmin-job to a manager job with far to little increase in pay, but it got me on the right mental track on figuring out how much I'm worth to an organisation and getting another job that utilized my strengths and paid me for decently for it.

Edit: I managed the IT-dept. from 2007 to 2010.

Crowley fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 19, 2016

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

SeaborneClink posted:

There are a bunch of corporations out there who have some weird fear of letting any 3rd party service or system have any sort of contact with their AD server, even when it's hosted entirely inside their network. It's why we have a CSV based user import function, though I've genuinely no idea why any sane person would want to use that vs the benefits of AD integration.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

DigitalMocking posted:

As a person who is both technically minded and loves IT in general and made the transition into a blood sucking parasite management, I have to mostly agree with this.

If you are highly technical, pure management is like having a stroke every 16 seconds for the first year. You want to smack the higher level managers for their idiocy, but can't. You also want to smack your subordinates for their idiocy....but can't. You get hamstrung by budgets, people management, and middle school penny-ante bullshit until you just wish that the ground would swallow you up. And, since you are the manager, you don't get a break from it. You can't find a bit of code that needs to be written or system to manually configure to block out the world for a few hours of peace.

But, keeping all of that in mind, if you like to learn and you like to solve problems management is great for both of those things. You get tasked with a problem and you lead to a solution (assuming you aren't manager over a couple of high school dropout glue sniffers). You use your technical knowledge to guide your team into successful implementation. And, as long as you have reasonably decently technical people working for you, you can drive a tremendous satisfaction from that.

If you don't find that appealing, then I'd recommend you don't go into management.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I may be facing a very interesting situation where I need to strip out a VIP’s (VERY VIP) email address from a bunch of archived email… Basically, they don’t want the VIP’s email address exposed to anyone, and want to be able to either strip out or replace the email address in the to/from fields in all of the emails we want to send out.

I am not sure if something like this is possible with Powershell, or exporting all of the emails to MSG and doing find/replaces with a batch processing program of some sort.

Does anyone have experience with something like this, and/or suggestions on how this might be accomplished?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Tell Hillary to just admit she did Benghazi.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I may be facing a very interesting situation where I need to strip out a VIP’s (VERY VIP) email address from a bunch of archived email… Basically, they don’t want the VIP’s email address exposed to anyone, and want to be able to either strip out or replace the email address in the to/from fields in all of the emails we want to send out.

I am not sure if something like this is possible with Powershell, or exporting all of the emails to MSG and doing find/replaces with a batch processing program of some sort.

Does anyone have experience with something like this, and/or suggestions on how this might be accomplished?

i get this reference

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Arsten posted:

If you are highly technical, pure management is like having a stroke every 16 seconds for the first year. You want to smack the higher level managers for their idiocy, but can't. You also want to smack your subordinates for their idiocy....but can't. You get hamstrung by budgets, people management, and middle school penny-ante bullshit until you just wish that the ground would swallow you up. And, since you are the manager, you don't get a break from it. You can't find a bit of code that needs to be written or system to manually configure to block out the world for a few hours of peace.

That is what caused the previous two managers in this department to flame out and quit. First manager just wanted to sit in a quiet office and make things better. But you can't do that and manage, combine that with not being good at the office politics game had him leave. Second manager wanted to be both the hero tech who saves the day and the political monster, and ended up burning out. Honestly though I'd get to work one morning and find him dead at his desk.
If our company was smart and had leadership that could find their rear end with a map, they would have realized that those two were on a bad path and intervened. But, they saw it as getting 2 employees for the price of one, and just let it happen, then acted surprised. If they put the effort in, they would have setup a technical lead/senior engineer position, where they got to run the computer bit, but let someone else handle people.

In ticket news, I got one for our video conference system today. A user called the help desk to say that on a video call, a message on screen said "Remote microphone muted" and said they couldn't hear the other side. Somehow the help desk person didn't think to ask "have you tried having the other side unmute their microphone?" When I got the ticket, I simply sent it back telling them how to unmute mics. I get that they don't see the video conference unit much, but for christs sake, it says the issue on the screen.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

CitizenKain posted:

In ticket news, I got one for our video conference system today. A user called the help desk to say that on a video call, a message on screen said "Remote microphone muted" and said they couldn't hear the other side. Somehow the help desk person didn't think to ask "have you tried having the other side unmute their microphone?" When I got the ticket, I simply sent it back telling them how to unmute mics. I get that they don't see the video conference unit much, but for christs sake, it says the issue on the screen.

Normal people don't understand the meaning/usage of "remote," in that context. They probably thought it was referring to some kind of a "remote control," for the video conference unit or just ignored that piece of it because they didn't understand it. They also might have thought, "well.. it's popping up a message for me here on our side so we must be having a problem on our side..."

So this is more of a "lovely message writing," thing. That isn't to say there aren't users who are kind of dim, but that a lot of tickets could be avoided if error messages or other informational messages were written in a way that meant anything to non-technical people.

I wish companies understood the value of good writing/communication. I might get paid more if they did. :smith:

ErIog fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 20, 2016

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Source your quotes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ErIog posted:

Normal people don't understand the meaning/usage of "remote," in that context. They probably thought it was referring to some kind of a "remote control," for the video conference unit or just ignored that piece of it because they didn't understand it. They also might have thought, "well.. it's popping up a message for me here on our side so we must be having a problem on our side..."

So this is more of a "lovely message writing," thing. That isn't to say there aren't users who are kind of dim, but that a lot of tickets could be avoided if error messages or other informational messages were written in a way that meant anything to non-technical people.

I wish companies understood the value of good writing/communication. I might get paid more if they did. :smith:

Seriously. "Far end microphone muted" would be a much clearer message.

• Locked thread