Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

LordThorn posted:

Deep space 9 is a strong contender for most boring and also eternal opening.

Counterpoint- go gently caress yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

It always annoyed me that he has breakfast in the wrong order. Shave, cook bacon, eat bacon, cook eggs, eat eggs, make coffee, make orange juice, floss, get dressed.

cook bacon and eggs simultaneously

not sure about the blood orange thing

pretty weird thing to eat every day

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

syscall girl posted:

cook bacon and eggs simultaneously

He doesn't though. He cooks and eats the bacon before an egg ever appears on-screen.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
It's ham. Unless you're from canada, he's cooking up a slice of ham.

Unless he cooks both and I'm forgetting because I let Netflix skip the intro for me in later seasons just so it would be over faster.

donquixotic
May 1, 2007
Speaking of terrible opening themes I only just got round to watching Enterprise and I was dreading another awful orchestral score and I burst out laughing when I discovered it's a really lovely wuss rock opening. Christ it's awful

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

donquixotic posted:

Speaking of terrible opening themes I only just got round to watching Enterprise and I was dreading another awful orchestral score and I burst out laughing when I discovered it's a really lovely wuss rock opening. Christ it's awful

I'm a big Star Trek fan and I swear I've never watched a minute of Enterprise because I tuned in to the first episode and noped out the instant that song started.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Away all Goats posted:

Ant Man is probably the most recent. The cop stepdad was completely justified in thinking the criminal-leaning Scott was probably a bad influence on the daughter.

That was actually really great and cool how they handled the step-dad character.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Mu Zeta posted:

Not much you can do with a gargantuan base that doesn't ever move.

Tell that to Babylon 5:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCo2-n0sx-I

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 15:01 on Sep 19, 2016

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

Imagined posted:

I'm a big Star Trek fan and I swear I've never watched a minute of Enterprise because I tuned in to the first episode and noped out the instant that song started.

:same:

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Imagined posted:

Sounds like someone doesn't have faith of the heart

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

DrBouvenstein posted:

Tell that to Babylon 5

They learned their lesson after Babylon 4 disappeared.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Sounds like someone doesn't have faith of the heart

But we can't hold him down no more, and we're not gonna change his mind.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Stepdad Ray in Vice Principals owns. He's just a really nice and cool dude.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

So I'm watching Friends and Joey is trying to learn French for a part. And he can't. It's not that he has trouble with the accent or pronunciation, it's that he tries to repeat basic syllables and doesn't even come close to what was said. The phrase " Je Mappelle" is said and Joey replies, literally, "bloo blah bloo" and so on and so forth. Now Joey was always portrayed as a pretty dumb but still somewhat self aware guy but I guess he is now literally mentally retarded. Which works out because Phoebe has to excuse his terrible non French and her excuse is that Joey is literally mentally retarded which the director has no problem accepting.

Welp bye

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Imagined posted:

Enterprise was actually a pretty good show, but you're right that the intro is extremely aggravating. Apparently, that was the result of network interference. The original intro theme was supposed to be this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8vslSWlsEg.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Gordon Shumway posted:

Enterprise was actually a pretty good show, but you're right that the intro is extremely aggravating. Apparently, that was the result of network interference. The original intro theme was supposed to be this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8vslSWlsEg.

Definitely agree. It's an odd duck in that it's nowhere near as good as TOS, TNG, or DS9, half the cast is boring and/or useless, the theme song is a war crime, and the series finale is a giant gently caress you to people watching, but in spite of all that it manages to be halfway decent. Archer is fun, even if he's a terrible choice for humanity's first ambassador to the galaxy, and he has a fun dynamic with Trigg and T'Pol, and Dr Phlox rules; they do season-long plots as well as DS9, and unlike Voyager, actions have consequences from episode to episode. I give Enterprise a solid B-, nothing spectacular, but could be worse, and nowhere near as bad as its reputation.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
They made me give up Enterprise when the opening was linked to my cry for help. What was the finale like?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Missing Link posted:

It's ham. Unless you're from canada, he's cooking up a slice of ham.

You've got it backwards. America is the exception, not the rule, in calling some types of bacon "ham".

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

MariusLecter posted:

They made me give up Enterprise when the opening was linked to my cry for help. What was the finale like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXotJu1CapU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

MariusLecter posted:

Spoilers for a nerdy old show:

Troi and fat Riker watch the episode on the holodeck, building up some speech Archer makes that sets the course of the Federation to become what we all know and love. The whole drat hour is just Archer agonizing over what he's going to say, until BAM Trigg's randomly killed like a redshirt. Then they don't even show the speech they yapped on about the whole time, it fades to black as he starts. The loving end.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Thaddius the Large posted:

Spoilers for a nerdy old show:

Troi and fat Riker watch the episode on the holodeck, building up some speech Archer makes that sets the course of the Federation to become what we all know and love. The whole drat hour is just Archer agonizing over what he's going to say, until BAM Trigg's randomly killed like a redshirt. Then they don't even show the speech they yapped on about the whole time, it fades to black as he starts. The loving end.

I can't believe Trig Palin gets to go to space and get shot by real laser guns, and I have to sit here on Earth heating up my Pop-Tarts with a Playboy-branded Bic lighter. Thanks for nothing, 21st century

e: i just realized the character is probably only BASED on Trig Palin. but still.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

I can't believe Trig Palin gets to go to space and get shot by real laser guns, and I have to sit here on Earth heating up my Pop-Tarts with a Playboy-branded Bic lighter. Thanks for nothing, 21st century

e: i just realized the character is probably only BASED on Trig Palin. but still.

You know, I could fix it, but it really is better that way.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Thaddius the Large posted:

Archer is fun, even if he's a terrible choice for humanity's first ambassador to the galaxy

Man, if only :allears:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

oldpainless posted:

So I'm watching Friends and Joey is trying to learn French for a part. And he can't. It's not that he has trouble with the accent or pronunciation, it's that he tries to repeat basic syllables and doesn't even come close to what was said. The phrase " Je Mappelle" is said and Joey replies, literally, "bloo blah bloo" and so on and so forth. Now Joey was always portrayed as a pretty dumb but still somewhat self aware guy but I guess he is now literally mentally retarded. Which works out because Phoebe has to excuse his terrible non French and her excuse is that Joey is literally mentally retarded which the director has no problem accepting.

Welp bye

Not a movie (although it will be soonish), but this annoyed me in the Dark Tower books by Stephen King. They make a big thing about how the main character can't say certain words, like "astin" instead of aspirin or tooter fish instead of tuna etc. There's some handwavy explanation in the books but I don't think that's going to translate to the movie at all and will almost certainly irritate me irrationally if it makes it into the movie.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Inzombiac posted:

Resident Evil is not a movie you go to for accurate science. In the first sequel, the evil scientist says to Alice, "you're not a mutation, you're an evolution!"

MOTHERFUCKER THOSE ARE THE SAME THING

...uh, as a geneticist, I feel obligated to point out... They aren't? I mean, if we define evolution as a genetic change in organisms so as to better adapt to environmental conditions as brought about by natural selection, a mutation is VERY different.

Although, to be frank, the dialogue from the movie would be like saying, 'You're not unleaded petrol, you're a Ferrari!'

It's still really dumb.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

"<laughing> Holy poo poo, look at that guy's head. I mean, what even is that on there? Hey, beard guy, did someone glue a crab to your head?"

There then follows ten minutes of gunfire and yelling.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Murphy Brownback posted:

Not a movie (although it will be soonish), but this annoyed me in the Dark Tower books by Stephen King. They make a big thing about how the main character can't say certain words, like "astin" instead of aspirin or tooter fish instead of tuna etc. There's some handwavy explanation in the books but I don't think that's going to translate to the movie at all and will almost certainly irritate me irrationally if it makes it into the movie.

It's dumb in the books too. There's some sort of magical translation going on, so words that exist in both languages are no problem, but there's no word for "aspirin" in Roland's language so he just hears the English word and can't say it right. But then that explanation falls apart completely when it turns out that Roland's word for "sandwich" is "popkin" and the Earth people hear him say that and he hears them say "sandwich", and when Eddie wants Roland to get him a po' boy the best Roland can manage to order is a "poor boy sandich" because that one specific word doesn't translate for some no reason.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

https://vimeo.com/70518741

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Also the fact that Roland's supposed to be this linguistic genius who knows 4000 languages and is an ambassador to other cultures yet whenever it's a word from Earth he's like "gently caress you thankee sai commala come your language is bullshit de ye ken the bullshit of the 1999 chassit?"

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Tiggum posted:

It's dumb in the books too. There's some sort of magical translation going on, so words that exist in both languages are no problem, but there's no word for "aspirin" in Roland's language so he just hears the English word and can't say it right. But then that explanation falls apart completely when it turns out that Roland's word for "sandwich" is "popkin" and the Earth people hear him say that and he hears them say "sandwich", and when Eddie wants Roland to get him a po' boy the best Roland can manage to order is a "poor boy sandich" because that one specific word doesn't translate for some no reason.

I thought the explanation was that Roland was speaking english, just that it's diverged so much from the way we talk now that half of it is gibberish. Any magical translation just throws its hands up and says "gently caress it, he's speaking your language. Not my fault you don't know what he's saying ".

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Irritated by a film that doesn't exist yet is incredible

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

EmmyOk posted:

Irritated by a film that doesn't exist yet is incredible

Pretty standard really. If you go back to when the Jurassic World trailers came out people were irritated about that because all the dinosaurs are monsters not just the killasaurus.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Samovar posted:

...uh, as a geneticist, I feel obligated to point out... They aren't? I mean, if we define evolution as a genetic change in organisms so as to better adapt to environmental conditions as brought about by natural selection, a mutation is VERY different.

Although, to be frank, the dialogue from the movie would be like saying, 'You're not unleaded petrol, you're a Ferrari!'

It's still really dumb.

Yeah, okay. I'm just frustrated by the way a lot of movies throw around scientific terms that only have a surface connection to reality.
Have science is treated as magic because they know most people don't know much beyond the "I loving Love Science" FB page.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I watched the original Willy Wonka over the weekend with my nieces and nephews. I didn't really mind because I loved that movie as a kid and thought the oompa loompas were really cool and funny.

Turns out that, no, they're actually humourless moralising dickholes.

Also, what the hell was up with the live chicken getting its head cut off during the boat ride? Seriously, what the gently caress?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ruggero Deodato's Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Gorilla Salad posted:

I watched the original Willy Wonka over the weekend with my nieces and nephews. I didn't really mind because I loved that movie as a kid and thought the oompa loompas were really cool and funny.

Turns out that, no, they're actually humourless moralising dickholes.

Also, what the hell was up with the live chicken getting its head cut off during the boat ride? Seriously, what the gently caress?

That movie is disturbing as gently caress and very satirical and if you only watched it as a child.....is nothing like you remember it. Wonka is a sadistic, sarcastic, child abusing (murdering?) prick. I don't remember the chicken beheading though, need to watch it again.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
One minute in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zail7Gdqro&t=64s

It really is a wildly different movie when you watch it as an adult. Kids just see the bright colours and candy everywhere.

I remember when I caught HR Pufnstuff on TV a couple of years ago and it was just such an "Oooohhhh!" moment.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Not only that but Wonka nervously singing the whole time getting louder and louder makes it even more unnerving.

If you think about it, Wonka sort of pokes fun at celebrity worship. Everybody expected Wonka to be this friendly, benign guy but he goes out of his way to make all the guests as uncomfortable as possible. They're all (except for Charlie and grandpa) horrible people for different reasons but their own style of narcissism holds other people to a standard they can never live up to.

He's completely nonplussed at kids meeting a horrible fate; Augustus Gloop is just a clog, Violet a convenient source of blueberry juice, and he sounds downright disappointed to discover the bad egg incinerator isn't working that day.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Gorilla Salad posted:

One minute in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zail7Gdqro&t=64s

It really is a wildly different movie when you watch it as an adult. Kids just see the bright colours and candy everywhere.

I remember when I caught HR Pufnstuff on TV a couple of years ago and it was just such an "Oooohhhh!" moment.

Maybe I wasn't young enough but no, it was disturbing the first time too. I'll never forget the scene where the fat kid is sucked by the chocolate pipes. "Like a gun barrel" my rear end, ugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Panfilo posted:

Not only that but Wonka nervously singing the whole time getting louder and louder makes it even more unnerving.

If I was a commercial pilot, I would basically never stop using the intercom to recite Wonka's song to terrified passengers.