Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
double nine
Aug 8, 2013

If I'm being honest I just want Dishonored 2 to be as much Thief 4 as possible - taffers, Benny, karras, the builder/trickster, you name it.

This probably isn't going to happen but a man can dream drat it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Marshal Radisic posted:

He is. IIRC, the actual Weeper analogues in Dishonored 2 are parasitized by giant fantasy wasps that build nests in dead people. Six of one, really.

The actual actual Weeper analogues in D2 are all Coolguye. When they run up and try to grab you they stop a foot short and just flail for a few seconds.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

grack posted:

The actual actual Weeper analogues in D2 are all Coolguye. When they run up and try to grab you they stop a foot short and just flail for a few seconds.
Particularly after you've used the new Piss power in an alley.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Poil posted:

Particularly after you've used the new Piss power in an alley.
Anywhere except for his bed, really. That powers him up and gets you a tranq dart to the eye.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
That bed really tied the room together.

Orv
May 4, 2011

double nine posted:

If I'm being honest I just want Dishonored 2 to be as much Thief 4 as possible - taffers, Benny, karras, the builder/trickster, you name it.

This probably isn't going to happen but a man can dream drat it!

There was already a Thief 4 and it was terrible.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
No there wasn't and yes, yes it was.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Thi4f was such a non-Looking Glass game, that the first combination lock you found wasn't even 451.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Thi4f was such a non-Looking Glass game, that the first combination lock you found wasn't even 451.

Well then I guess we know what was the real Thief 4 then!

(it's Dishonored)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I remember being really happy the first time I picked up human revolution and seeing 0451 come back up as the first door code in the game

The little traditions matter, dammit

Malah
May 18, 2015

Is the new one worth springing for, or should I hold out for markdowns + Director's Cut? We've been burned by Deus Ex titles before.

Also, has anyone else than ^, TLR, and Orv taken Fish Noise avatars? Because those are loving magic and as many as possible should be shared with the world. I'm combing through the thread now.

And because I figure Lowtax should have a good drink or something after what went down this week as thanks for this - uh?

Lowtax posted:

vibrant community of upstanding citizens
sure something like that

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Malah posted:

Also, has anyone else than ^, TLR, and Orv taken Fish Noise avatars? Because those are loving magic and as many as possible should be shared with the world. I'm combing through the thread now.

Wrong thread but right artist.

Malah
May 18, 2015

AlphaKretin posted:

Wrong thread but right artist.
What actually did that idea in was that I'm not inspired enough to come up with text for those that'd keep me from staring at the gif all day.

On the other hand, this game has so many great face frames.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Coolguye posted:

I remember being really happy the first time I picked up human revolution and seeing 0451 come back up as the first door code in the game

The little traditions matter, dammit

Mankind Divided's twist on this is cute.

The first door you find is locked with a code and it's meant to be your introduction to hacking, but if you just input 0451 it opens and you get an achievement. Heh heh.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Honestly at this point it's so overplayed I'd applaud the developer who turns it into 1540 or 0452 or whatever. This poo poo has been run into the ground.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

double nine posted:

Honestly at this point it's so overplayed I'd applaud the developer who turns it into 1540 or 0452 or whatever. This poo poo has been run into the ground.

Why? I don't get what's so bad about having something so tiny and inconsequential be a callback easter egg for the developers. It' almost a mark of quality, too, it's reassuring to see it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah i mean i can definitely sympathize with a bunch of old poo poo not needing to be in new games - the disappearing block patterns from GutsMan's stage comes directly to mind as something that haunted platformers and megaman knockoffs for loving decades. it wasn't good when it came out and it sure as hell wasn't getting any better with age. every time it came up and i bonked my head by mistiming a jump by a quarter second again i could just imagine the most nasally, acne-ridden nerd giving a shrill laugh and going "HEY. HEY GUY. REMEMBER THIS? REMEMBER IT WAS IN MEGA MAN 1 AND--"

a door code being something specific affects basically nobody though, if you don't get the joke the moment passes in no time

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
You know what never passes in time? Coolguy's whiffing.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Thank you for bringing us back to what's important: laughing at Coolguye being bad at video games.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it is pretty important

i would go so far as to say direly important

because i sure as poo poo can't kill anyone with my stubby arms and small hands

(it is a Trump joke)

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

double nine posted:

Wasn't the first code in System Shock 2 actually 15400?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Wiseblood posted:

Wasn't the first code in System Shock 2 actually 15400?

45100 - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=161214166

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I wonder if Eidos Montreal ever changed that door code.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Time for me to go break into every game dev office with a numerical lock.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Coolguye posted:

yeah i mean i can definitely sympathize with a bunch of old poo poo not needing to be in new games - the disappearing block patterns from GutsMan's stage comes directly to mind as something that haunted platformers and megaman knockoffs for loving decades. it wasn't good when it came out and it sure as hell wasn't getting any better with age. every time it came up and i bonked my head by mistiming a jump by a quarter second again i could just imagine the most nasally, acne-ridden nerd giving a shrill laugh and going "HEY. HEY GUY. REMEMBER THIS? REMEMBER IT WAS IN MEGA MAN 1 AND--"

a door code being something specific affects basically nobody though, if you don't get the joke the moment passes in no time
I'm guessing you haven't paid too much attention to the fangames thread, because at least half of what folks LP there are Mega Man clones and hoo boy do a lot of them reuse disappearing blocks. One fangame even had a level "designed" around puzzles incorporating them.

But yes, tradition + nerds can sometimes get weird.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrBJom2VZis
Of note is the new Blink functionality.
And everything else, really. :allears:

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
instead of blinking then stabbing/hugging/whiffing
you kick a dude

majestically, coolguye will manage to whiff a kick in the way he whiffs a hug

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
So, uh

That name rings a bell or two.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

NGDBSS posted:

I'm guessing you haven't paid too much attention to the fangames thread, because at least half of what folks LP there are Mega Man clones and hoo boy do a lot of them reuse disappearing blocks. One fangame even had a level "designed" around puzzles incorporating them.

But yes, tradition + nerds can sometimes get weird.

one of the things that made me realize that shovel knight was a masterpiece is that it didn't incorporate disappearing blocks

InfinityComplex posted:

instead of blinking then stabbing/hugging/whiffing
you kick a dude

majestically, coolguye will manage to whiff a kick in the way he whiffs a hug

dark messiah is all coming back to me now

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I like it, I'm just worried that the advertising (as per usual) is too quick to show off all the neat new toys that this might be it.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Coolguye posted:

dark messiah is all coming back to me now

That's what Serkanos needs, inexplicable beds of sharp spikes and precariously-placed physics objects everywhere you go.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

IMJack posted:

That's what Serkanos needs, inexplicable beds of sharp spikes and precariously-placed physics objects everywhere you go.

this but unironically

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

radintorov posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrBJom2VZis
Of note is the new Blink functionality.
And everything else, really. :allears:

Corvo's mighty boot!

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Corvo "Crazy Legs" Attano

his dance legacy continues to live

Empress Jessamine's Delilah's dance troupe

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Lord of the Can-Can.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

TheDarkFlame posted:

So, uh

That name rings a bell or two.

The previous video preview for 2 was more explicit. You ain't imagining things.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I do wonder how they'll rationalize that with the ending of the Daud DLC. I mean, we're not there yet, but given how this game works I don't think it's a spoiler to say we're going to have to "deal" with Delilah.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Dareon posted:

I do wonder how they'll rationalize that with the ending of the Daud DLC. I mean, we're not there yet, but given how this game works I don't think it's a spoiler to say we're going to have to "deal" with Delilah.

Usual horror story rule of thumb applies: unless you've seen the body the killer isn't dead yet.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

double nine posted:

Usual horror story rule of thumb applies: unless you've seen the body the killer isn't dead yet.

And even then, they're 60% likely to be a body double or otherwise faking it. This is a reality-warping witch we're talking about, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Zomborgon posted:

And even then, they're 60% likely to be a body double or otherwise faking it. This is a reality-warping witch we're talking about, after all.

Case in point: Emily's body double power.

• Locked thread