Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
If the event makes you do hours of unfun things to get a robot, maybe it's better to just not get the dumb robot that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

veedubfreak posted:

Yes, but there are 0 IS lights.

You might have a better chance in Invasion or, do what I did and

Lonjon posted:

If the event makes you do hours of unfun things to get a robot, maybe it's better to just not get the dumb robot that way.

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.
What are goons doing in MWO now? What do I need to help?

I quit playing not long after community warfare was released. I've been quickdropping for the last few weeks in my old mechs. I have the following mechs across two accounts (I had a third account, but forget the details).

Account #1:
Hunchback HBK-4SP (Master)
Hunchback HBK-4P (Elite)
Catapult CPLT-C1 (Basic)
Catapult CPLT-A1 (Elite)
Catapult CPLT-K2 (Elite)
1 Available Mech Bay

Account #2:
Centurion C29-AL (Elite)
Centurion C29-A (Master)
Jagermech JM6-S (Basic)
King Cracb KGC-000 (Basic)
1 Available Mech Bay

I'm not opposed to selling mechs. I am opposed to giving PGI money. I have enough C-bills to purchase up to a heavy/assault on either account, though probably not enough for engines (I have a few to spare)
I love bad loadouts. Examples: 6xAC2 King Crab, 4xLPL Jager, LBX Cent, etc.

So what's good?

Artificer posted:

Would you like to stick to IS or Clan?

And which weight classes?

No preference on Clan or IS. Weight class, I prefer mediums/heavy.

DoctorJones fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 20, 2016

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

DoctorJones posted:

I quit playing not long after community warfare was released. I've been quickdropping for the last few weeks in my old mechs. I have the following mechs across two accounts (I had a third account, but forget the details).

Would you like to stick to IS or Clan?

And which weight classes?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

DoctorJones posted:

Account #1:
Hunchback HBK-4P (Elite)
Catapult CPLT-C1 (Basic)
Catapult CPLT-A1 (Elite)
Catapult CPLT-K2 (Elite)
1 Available Mech Bay

Account #2:
Centurion C29-AL (Elite)
Centurion C29-A (Master)
Jagermech JM6-S (Basic)
1 Available Mech Bay

I'm not opposed to selling mechs. I am opposed to giving PGI money. I have enough C-bills to purchase up to a heavy/assault on either account, though probably not enough for engines (I have a few to spare)

So what's good?

both of your Hunchbacks are really good. The -4P makes a killer energy boat and the -4SP is an amazing brawler and P4P the tankiest mech in the game

put a bunch of mediums (and maybe a LPL) on your -4P and two SRM6A plus mediums or SPL on your -4SP. Can do a fast STD engine in both

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorJones posted:

Account #1:
Hunchback HBK-4P (Elite)
Catapult CPLT-C1 (Basic)
Catapult CPLT-A1 (Elite)
Catapult CPLT-K2 (Elite)
1 Available Mech Bay

Account #2:
Centurion C29-AL (Elite)
Centurion C29-A (Master)
Jagermech JM6-S (Basic)
1 Available Mech Bay

So what's good?

Get an arctic cheetah and an Atlas.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
I give up. I'm never getting 3 more clan lights. I'm sick of seeing 4 stupid streakcrows and I don't care about the zeus.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Invasion matches have lights. loads usually.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Lonjon posted:

This is the truth.

Also: There's an event?!?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Lonjon posted:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Yeah I gave up on the Executioner too. I forgot how much my LRM boat mechs helped me in quickly farming those KMDDs during the IS side of the challenges.

The Clan trials feel pretty good to pilot, but they're ALL laser boats or Gauss / laser builds, every single one of them. Short of getting a quick and clean CT kill with the Dire Wolf (which basically amounts to luck since it's not exactly a swift hunter), I would constantly get my target down to an orange or red core, then a dakka or lurmer would rain confetti all over it and steal the award.

Shame. Not really for the Executioner, for those last couple of warhorns.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The executioner was a good mech ruined by having 8 tons of locked jump jets, locked MASC and far too little pod space. Was still fun to use the godhand to murder small mechs who forgot you had a "turn fast as gently caress" button.

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

Lonjon posted:

This, in fact, I'm getting tired of the non-stop events. They are ruining gameplay. If they want players, they need to fix core elements of the game instead of giving out "free" stuff.

Beraiye fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Sep 20, 2016

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

So, I happened to get really lucky in 1 match and get all the light KMDDs i needed for my Zeus. This thing looks like an unmitigated trainwreck at first glance. Is it as bad as i think it is?

e: I'm trying really hard to make this thing not garbage, but it's just so... eugch. it doesn't have enough hardpoints spread around to missile boat it, its way too short on energy to make it a viable laser warrior, it cant fit an AC20 on its only ballistic points, so it's not going to live up as a brawler (especially against other assaults), it's hardpoints are SO low on it's MASSIVE body that it's going to get ruined long range, and it's armor values are all over the drat place.

Rysithusiku fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 20, 2016

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Beraiye posted:

This, in fact, I'm getting tired of the non-stop events. They are ruining gameplay. If they want players, they need to fix core elements of the game instead of giving out "free" stuff.

I like the free stuff and events just they need to not make them painfully stupid like this last weeks event. gently caress the challenge was basically hit yourself in the balls with a claw hammer 0/10 reward 10,000 cbills.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I enjoyed having a reason to play faction play. It the game had daily or weekly challenges like that it would make the mode much more interesting. It doesn't have to be huge like it was this time but week long challenges for a war horn, mech bays, or paints and daily ones for cb, crates, decals, etc would be welcome.

Hell, give premium members extra challenges so they can incentive premium with little effort on pgis part.

Great Beer fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 20, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
At some point you realise the event prizes are meaningless because you already have everything you want.

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

DancingShade posted:

At some point you realise the event prizes are meaningless because you already have everything you want.

exactly. so we end up going up against teams that are willing to throw matches as long as we let them farm our light mechs first. it really did just ruin the experience for me.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Beraiye posted:

exactly. so we end up going up against teams that are willing to throw matches as long as we let them farm our light mechs first. it really did just ruin the experience for me.

that was actually really depressing. but not as depressing as running 30 matches in a row against 4 streakcrows.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Rysithusiku posted:

that was actually really depressing. but not as depressing as running 30 matches in a row against 4 streakcrows.

bring four of some combination of the following:

HBK-4SP
SHD-2D2
GRF-3M
GRF-2N

load them up with missiles and ballistics, and streakcrows should be less than no problem

ideally you would have the -4SP go first and have them waste their time trying to chew through its effective 72 tons of armor plus structure, then the others can take them apart

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Yeah Streak-Crows are only dangerous to lights. A well build medium will have no problem dealing with them. SPL Crows area whole different topic.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Yeah Streak-Crows are only dangerous to lights. A well build medium will have no problem dealing with them. SPL Crows area whole different topic.

yeah they're legit scary. Flamers can mitigate them a bit, but any Godhand/Doombud Crows need their legs taken off ASAP

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Pattonesque posted:

yeah they're legit scary. Flamers can mitigate them a bit, but any Godhand/Doombud Crows need their legs taken off ASAP

am I the only one that kinda has trouble hitting a crow's legs consistently? they're weirdly skinny.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Confirming that the 4sp is hilarious in scouting at the moment.

Bonus points for sticking a laser in the head and refusing to die.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Rysithusiku posted:

am I the only one that kinda has trouble hitting a crow's legs consistently? they're weirdly skinny.

Just blow their tits off, i dont bother with legs just rip their torsos to bits while flaming their heat into oblivion and laughing loudly.

(Use the hunchback 4sp with 2 flamers 2 SRM6A)

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
honestly as long as you coordinate which bits to hit, you should be fine

heck you could even focus down a SCR's arms if you wanted, 10 out of 12 SPL are there

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Polyakov posted:

Just blow their tits off, i dont bother with legs just rip their torsos to bits while flaming their heat into oblivion and laughing loudly.

(Use the hunchback 4sp with 2 flamers 2 SRM6A)

Yeah, thats what i decided on. As much as i am a fan of legging things, screw it with crows. All in the tits.

EduardoEspecial
Dec 12, 2011

Dangerously Dexterous Dongs

Rysithusiku posted:

All in the tits.

Now we're talkin'. :pervert:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Artificer posted:

You might have a better chance in Invasion or, do what I did and

I did, I basically gave up. I made 3 streak boats and a cheetah got 4 lights in 3 games, but by then was already utterly sick of it. Got every challenge done except the kill 10 lights done. I'll survive without that 113th mech bay.

In one of the scouting matches I did, killed 3 out of 4 of a premade then ran out of ammo at 680 damage :( Streak crows are brutal. In one of the invasions I turned a fresh locust into dust with 1 alpha.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 20, 2016

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

veedubfreak posted:

In one of the invasions I turned a fresh locust into dust with 1 alpha.

That is the best feeling, especially on a pirates bane. Steraks are brutal and you can mitigate the randomness by managing what side of the enemy you are facing, but still it is a total dice roll, I have fired 3 alphas into the front of a cherry red CT assault and not gotten the kill, other times I just randomly have all the damage mostly on a single component.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Hahaha, what, 7 uac2s and a large laser?

Yesterday I learned that the bear can retract it's claws.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 20, 2016

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

With that decal, you must immediately convert that to an AC/20 build.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Sold.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

It took them how long? still, glad its there.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Here is my in depth review of the Night Gyr:

It's good.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DancingShade posted:

Here is my in depth review of the Night Gyr:

It's good.

Here is my in depth review of DancingShade giving PGI money:

It's bad.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Literally the worst.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

DancingShade posted:

Literally the worst.

#IStandWithDancingShade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
The Night Gyr must have sold really well, the queues we're packed with them yesterday. Didn't buy one myself but from what I've seen they look pretty good. Especially that 2xPPC, 1xUAC10, 3xMPLs one.

• Locked thread