Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Japanese homosexuality is incomprehensible, even to Japanese homosexuals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

meristem posted:

Eh, personally I ship him with that suitcase lady stewardess from AA:I. Which is exactly my point when I say that relationships are best left to fanfiction.

(Although I'd like a case to happen on Gumshoe and Maggey's wedding... or maybe, given the 7-year-gap, an anniversary. I forgot about Gumshoe and Maggey.)

Gummy already married Maggey and also he's the chief of police now. :)

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

meristem posted:

Ehh, in practice that would just mean adhering to current American norms, and that would be horrible and destroy a part of what makes the series so unique.

I mean, at the same time I don't want them to be afraid to bring anything over here because of gender stuff. Like, I'd wager a large part of the reason Mother 3 was never officially localized is because some of the central "sage" characters who protected the macguffins were basically crossdresser (or transwoman, sometimes the depictions can be fuzzy) stereotypes, in a way that would be difficult to just gloss over with a few text box changes and sprite cleanups.

Honestly, even if it's usually treated as a "sideshow" or "joke" thing, I've seen more positive or neutral depictions of trans or trans-like characters come out of Japan than the US/UK (though I think the US and UK win pretty handily on good representations of LGB characters). Like, I have quibbles and complaints, but at least they try and explore notions of gender outside of very rigid gender norms, and no real art can aspire to the sort of ideological purity required to perfectly and completely inoffensively broach such a complex topic anyway.

I don't think Robin was a very good attempt, because the whole parallel to outing someone and the "almost but not quite trans" is annoying, but it's more of a problem with this specific character archetype and ones like it than a blanket condemnation of the entirety of Japanese media. I mentioned Rukako in Steins;gate (the anime, haven't played the VN) earlier and while there was some really awkward dialogue about it, and the way they resolved her plotline was a bit icky, it really emotionally resonated with me when I saw it around the time I started coming out. Nothing I've seen in American media has really done that. While there have been okay depictions of trans or non-cis characters, I haven't seen many things capture it that well, and all too often even the decent depictions focus on the fact that a lot of transwomen end up sex workers through circumstance (job discrimination and loss of support network) more than choice, because tragic queer prostitutes=art film cred because it's about THE HUMAN CONDITION.

I don't think it's really fair to say that Japan has especially weird notions about gender, they're different than in the US for sure, and not everything that appears to be "trans" to us is even meant to represent that in Japanese media. But even so, at least they produce such characters in a large enough volume to argue about it. I'll take a variety of characters I can nitpick about over a scant few depictions mostly falling into two or three really unfortunate one-note archetypes that rarely even get character development.

(E: And yeah, I found the fact that shouting and smashing pottery was being presented as the effective equivalent of a burly beer-swilling lumberjack kind of funny too)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't remember all the details, but the impression I got was that Robin was acting like a hot-blooded bad boy to match her cool, glasses-wearing "rival". It's an incredibly common set-up you see in manga of all genres: the "wild" guy, the "cool" guy, and the girl caught between them. The point of the twist was to subvert cliches, not gender stereotypes.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Clarste posted:

I don't remember all the details, but the impression I got was that Robin was acting like a hot-blooded bad boy to match her cool, glasses-wearing "rival". It's an incredibly common set-up you see in manga of all genres: the "wild" guy, the "cool" guy, and the girl caught between them. The point of the twist was to subvert cliches, not gender stereotypes.

Oh yeah, that makes a lot of sense actually. It also goes with the red/blue motif between them.
E: The reveal was still awkward, though, I just mean the fact that she was meant to be the brash, hot-headed shounen anime protagonist rather than some font of masculinity is really obvious now that it's pointed out.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Sep 20, 2016

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder what Nick's parents were like.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I'm thinking of getting a 3DS to play this game. The last nintendo console I had is the GBA and I never used its internet capabilities (if it had any?), so I'm not sure about the eShop thing. I've checked the Australian website to check the price and can't seem to find it. Can any Australian goon confirm if it is available for purchase and how much is it in AUD?

Also in terms of memory how big is this thing? I'm thinking of playing Ace Attorney and maybe Mario Golf.

sorry if this had been answered somewhere, I've tried to avoid spoilers (all I know is Maya's back)

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

toanoradian posted:

Also in terms of memory how big is this thing? I'm thinking of playing Ace Attorney and maybe Mario Golf.

Spirit of Justice is 6,796 "blocks", which works out as a bit under 1gb. No idea how big Mario Golf is, though.

Just to check, which games in the series have you played? If you haven't played any since the original GBA trilogy then this one might not be the best place to jump back in.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

toanoradian posted:

I'm thinking of getting a 3DS to play this game. The last nintendo console I had is the GBA and I never used its internet capabilities (if it had any?), so I'm not sure about the eShop thing. I've checked the Australian website to check the price and can't seem to find it. Can any Australian goon confirm if it is available for purchase and how much is it in AUD?

sorry if this had been answered somewhere, I've tried to avoid spoilers (all I know is Maya's back)

The card it comes with is not particularly big but it's not oppressively small. It's enough to host...I wanna say four games? Assuming none of them are Smash Bros, anyway. If you think you might want a memory card of a decent size, I'd recommend swapping them out up front, because despite the fact that there's a system in place to transfer between a previous SD card and a new one, it failed to work for me when I upgraded mine and I lost all my non-cartridge saves (and the AA theme I bought, fuckers).

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

NRVNQSR posted:

Just to check, which games in the series have you played? If you haven't played any since the original GBA trilogy then this one might not be the best place to jump back in.

I've played the fourth one using a DS emulator and on my free time just watched a Dual Destinies playthrough on YouTube. I haven't played any of the AAI games, PLvsAA, or that one game where it's set in the past. I'll probably get Dual Destinies eventually.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

toanoradian posted:

I've played the fourth one using a DS emulator and on my free time just watched a Dual Destinies playthrough on YouTube. I haven't played any of the AAI games, PLvsAA, or that one game where it's set in the past. I'll probably get Dual Destinies eventually.

If you know the new characters from Dual Destinies you should be fine, yeah.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

toanoradian posted:

It's $39.95AUD

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'd get a large memory card myself, installing it isn't too hard.

As for Robin, I was just put off by (extreme) gender performance being treated as a joke. It smacks of the "haha this macho guy acts like a woman now that he's realized he's gay" trope in the West.

I wouldn't be averse to Robin returning as a more tempered character, personally.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I can't believe I'm commenting on this, but you're an idiot if you think Robin is the reason 5-3 loving sucks.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The main complaint I'd heard about Robin that was worth addressing was that once she's revealed to be a girl she starts acting like a complete girly girl stereotype, which I was completely fine with. She had girly interests that she hid because she was trying to seem manly, and had a girly personality she hid for the same reason. If anything, it's something closeted people should relate to. We live in a society that stll judges people who have interests that are supposed to be for the other gender, and people who are LGBTQ but closeted are hyper-aware of these judgements and tend to hide parts of themselves that could lead anyone to think they're not straight as an arrow.

But for some reason a bunch of people took her personality shift to mean that all women like super girly stuff and are kidding themselves if they pretend otherwise, and her transformation to mean that trans people are pretending to be something they're not and would feel better if they stopped, which seems like purposefully missing the point just so you can complain about something?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

5-3 sucks because Apollo and Juniper don't kiss.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

5-3 doesn't suck. Ace Attorney is good.

E: There's only one case in the series I didn't enjoy playing, even if some were varyingly bad or dumb in retrospect. (I did have emulator speed up for the video though :v:)

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Waffleman_ posted:

She's way too young for him, Apollo should be kissing people his own age.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

hosed up that Juniper didn't even get mentioned in this game.

Momomo posted:

She's way too young for him, Apollo should be kissing people his own age.

I don't think anything made me more uncomfortable in the series than Dhurke talking about how Trucy and Apollo should totally get married.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

AA6 sucks because Apollo and Ema don't kiss.

Gonna cross my fingers Sad Monk is the seance victim we see in Khura'in (is that how it's spelled) next game

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Pollyanna posted:

I wouldn't be averse to Robin returning as a more tempered character, personally.

I would love to face off against Prosecutor Newman in AA7.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Prosecutors always have to be somebody new for whatever reason (I'm guessing advertising?), so this seems unlikely to happen.

My big hope is one day they'll take advantage of all the models they now have and have a different defence and prosecutor for every case.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Silver Falcon posted:

You know what, so do I. And 5-3 isn't crap specifically because of Newman, it's just kinda mediocre IMO.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

What if Pearl became a prosecutor.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I, for one, am ready to face off against a grown and tempered prosecutor who is Debeste.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

In general I'd just like to see something, anything, from the Investigations spinoffs come back in the main branch. They were written by Yamazaki et al, right?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AlphaKretin posted:

In general I'd just like to see something, anything, from the Investigations spinoffs come back in the main branch. They were written by Yamazaki et al, right?

I'd settle for a proper release of AAI 2 :negative:.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

luckily the fan patch for AAI2 is probably one of the highest quality fan patches made

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And the fan patch for DGS will be among the worst.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

In Dhurke's defense, he had no idea that Trucy and Apollo were related

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Kajeesus posted:

I, for one, am ready to face off against a grown and tempered prosecutor who is Debeste.

Agreed. I'm playing through the last case of AAI2 right now and I really like how the game kind of calls you out for basically bullying a child throughout the entire game. Debeste had a good character arc and I'd like to see him again in some capacity (maybe as Edgeworth's Apollo/Athena)

Plus, his second theme is too great to not be used again

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Carlosologist posted:

In Dhurke's defense, he had no idea that Trucy and Apollo were related

It just reflects very poorly on Phoenix.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'll admit my memory is a bit fuzzy since I beat the case late last night but uh case 5 stuff: given the time period the AA games take place in, Jove woulda died in 2005. are we seriously implying that despite the fact that people knew that a famous(?) musician was one of the people who died - The judge even comments that he seemed to know who he was, that no one could punch his name into the internet and find a picture of him in 23 years? I know Kur'ain is sorta old timey but out of all the dumb stuff in AA I find that a little too absurd.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Started Case 5 and I never expected I would be going up against Phoenix Wright himself :suspense:.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'll admit my memory is a bit fuzzy since I beat the case late last night but uh case 5 stuff: given the time period the AA games take place in, Jove woulda died in 2005. are we seriously implying that despite the fact that people knew that a famous(?) musician was one of the people who died - The judge even comments that he seemed to know who he was, that no one could punch his name into the internet and find a picture of him in 23 years? I know Kur'ain is sorta old timey but out of all the dumb stuff in AA I find that a little too absurd.

I think the near-future stuff is a localization thing. The original Ace Attorney is supposed to take place in the year the GBA game came out in Japan, which would make that make some sort of sense, although even then, that kind of sloppy record keeping is more like, 70s.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Nobody actually knew the guy's name until very recently.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lurdiak posted:

I think the near-future stuff is a localization thing. The original Ace Attorney is supposed to take place in the year the GBA game came out in Japan, which would make that make some sort of sense, although even then, that kind of sloppy record keeping is more like, 70s.

Robots and holograms suggest otherwise. Even the live-action movie goes pretty sci-fi with the bigass holograms.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Nobody actually knew the guy's name until very recently.

I thought the judge called him Jangly Jove but I'm probably mistaken

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I thought the judge called him Jangly Jove but I'm probably mistaken

he was misremembering the guy's name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Even if this is true, which I'm like 90% sure it's not, the 3DS games still have to take place sometime in the future since the in-universe time between T&T and AJ is greater than the real-world time between releases.

E: Actually, I forgot about the time between AJ and DD. Still, I'm almost positive the timeline is the same either way.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 20, 2016