Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

I hope so because I've got every bit of funny art from that thread saved

i only have the funniest one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Al! posted:

What i am sayinf, of course hes his own don king

Reminder that he had to be forced to not invite Don King to speak at the RNC

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

img-abuela-salt.jpg

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
So if you want to talk about why polling [including LV screens and other basic assumptions] can be all over the place, I would read this article:

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/778238475111952385

Basically Cohn gives out the data from the upshot poll to 4 different pollsters. Their results for the data are anywhere from T+1 to C+4.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Epic High Five posted:

Reminder that he had to be forced to not invite Don King to speak at the RNC

He should hire don king to promote the debate (but i doubt he could afford it)

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Al! posted:

What i am sayinf, of course hes his own don king

you must mean vince mcmahon :vince:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/comradewong/status/778234209957797888
:getin:

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

i like how the news is reporting that they are doing their jobs now

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Schnorkles posted:

So if you want to talk about why polling [including LV screens and other basic assumptions] can be all over the place, I would read this article:

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/778238475111952385

Basically Cohn gives out the data from the upshot poll to 4 different pollsters. Their results for the data are anywhere from T+1 to C+4.

good nate is a better nate than we deserve

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

If you recall the Seltzer poll of Ohio that had Trump at +5, it basically used a LV screen that said "We think the electorate will look like 2004." This is conscious decision that pollsters make, and you can be really really wrong.

Not to say that you should unskew or discount, it's just that there seems to be a fair amount of uncertainty not just in the election itself, but the polling community, in how to best model this election.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Schnorkles posted:

If you recall the Seltzer poll of Ohio that had Trump at +5, it basically used a LV screen that said "We think the electorate will look like 2004." This is conscious decision that pollsters make, and you can be really really wrong.

Not to say that you should unskew or discount, it's just that there seems to be a fair amount of uncertainty not just in the election itself, but the polling community, in how to best model this election.

LV polls are dark magic. You can either get them spot on, or you can bungle it and be way off.

That said:
https://twitter.com/mviser/status/778240438474010624

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

good dog

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Schnorkles posted:

My understanding of things is that political scoentists have been unable to come up with a model that explains us presidential elections since 2008 when obama blew it all up

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Hi doggie

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
nothing matters

this doesn't matter

WaPo posted:

Donald Trump spent more than a quarter-million dollars from his charitable foundation to settle lawsuits that involved the billionaire’s for-profit businesses, according to interviews and a review of legal documents.

Those cases, which together used $258,000 from Trump’s charity, were among four newly documented expenditures in which Trump may have violated laws against “self-dealing” — which prohibit nonprofit leaders from using charity money to benefit themselves or their businesses.

In one case, from 2007, Trump’s Mar-a-Lago Club faced $120,000 in unpaid fines from the town of Palm Beach, Fla., resulting from a dispute over the size of a flagpole.

In a settlement, Palm Beach agreed to waive those fines — if Trump’s club made a $100,000 donation to a specific charity for veterans. Instead, Trump sent a check from the Donald J. Trump Foundation, a charity funded almost entirely by other people’s money, according to tax records.

In another case, court papers say one of Trump’s golf courses in New York agreed to settle a lawsuit by making a donation to the plaintiff’s chosen charity. A $158,000 donation was made by the Trump Foundation, according to tax records.

David Fahrenthold continues to kill it

but

nothing matters

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Your dog is very fashionable. :3:

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

iospace posted:

LV polls are dark magic. You can either get them spot on, or you can bungle it and be way off.

They're easier with known quantities I think. Some pollsters are flat out saying "The electorate will look like 2004" and it seems like a questionable decision to make.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I don't expect LV polls to be all in line with one another or match up because yeah, there's some chicken bone rolling involved

But I do think it's a little silly at this point to expect a 2004 electorate when a) that's 12 years ago and b) doing this is why these pollsters got embarassed in 2012

2004 was a lot whiter, and featured and incumbent wartime president who did not, to pick an example at random, call for a new Trail of Tears, at least openly

These LV screens assuming a 75%+ white electorate make me deeply suspicious as to how accurate polling is going to be leading up to the election once again

iospace posted:

That said:

lmao is this as big a deal as it seems?

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
lmao I missed the best part of that Trump charity tax fraud article

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sinteres posted:

At least we know he gets along better with Putin.

https://twitter.com/BrendanNyhan/status/778036674668429312

The Reagans were not a fan of Trump

Trump quote of the day?

quote:

Mrs. Reagan drafted by hand a thanks-but-no-thanks reply that included the line, “I am familiar with Mar-a-Lago.” Then she crossed it out.

Also

quote:

White House Political Director Frank J. Donatelli alerted Chief of Staff Howard Baker about the story. “It would be most helpful if you would place a phone call to Don Trump today,” Donatelli wrote in a memo. “He has a large ego and would be responsive to your call.” He underlined the word “large” before ego.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...1b92a22d278fa5/

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

iospace posted:

That said:

im ship holding out hope that the information uncovered in this election ends up shattering trumps corporate veils, opening up his personal* wealth to parties with business grievances against him

* including rnc funds he's pushed through his companies into his own accounts ofc

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Epic High Five posted:

lmao is this as big a deal as it seems?

If Trump journo twitter is to be believed, yes.

Also:
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/778241243281317888

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

IT GETS BETTER:
https://twitter.com/Fahrenthold/status/778240825817964544
:laffo:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

like maybe this time trump will fly too close to the sun and it will set his hair on fire

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/ThePlumLineGS/status/778242557302173696

T +1 in NC among LV's. Will be two more polls of NC this week [Upshot and PPP] so I think we'll have an excellent idea of where the state is. Probably tight.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Perfectly Safe posted:

Oh yeah, I'm not complaining - this is, if anything, a recipe for a good thread. I'm just pointing out it's limitations as a catalog of Trump's fuckups/strokes of genius/fuckups.

yea i didnt think you were complaining, i was actually agreeing haha

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Xenophon posted:

nothing matters

this doesn't matter

but

nothing matters

everything matters

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

the only time any of this will matter will be if trump wins. then the media has some stories fora few months before they all get shuttered and tnn becomes the national news source

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Squizzle posted:

im ship holding out hope that the information uncovered in this election ends up shattering trumps corporate veils, opening up his personal* wealth to parties with business grievances against him

* including rnc funds he's pushed through his companies into his own accounts ofc

Is this not illegal?

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Clinton up 98-2 with black voters in NC. :eyepop:

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
It's kind of incredible when you step back and take an overview of just what a colossal piece of poo poo Trump is. He seems to be just terrible garbage in every way a human can be.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Xenophon posted:

nothing matters

this doesn't matter

but

nothing matters

quote:

In another instance, from 2013, the Trump Foundation made a $5,000 donation to the D.C. Preservation League, according to the group and tax filings. That nonprofit’s support has been helpful for Trump as he has turned the historic Old Post Office Pavilion on Washington’s Pennsylvania Avenue NW into a luxury hotel.

The Trump Foundation’s donation to that group bought a “sponsorship,” which included advertising space in the programs for three big events that drew Washington’s real estate elite. The ads did not mention the foundation or anything related to charity. Instead, they promoted Trump’s hotels, with glamorous photos and a phone number to call to make a reservation.

“The foundation wrote a check that essentially bought advertising for Trump hotels?” asked John Edie, the longtime general counsel for the Council on Foundations, when a Post reporter described this arrangement. “That’s not charity.”

good thing nothing matters because this all seems super illegal to me, a dumb rear end in a top hat and not a lawyer

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Bunleigh posted:

It's kind of incredible when you step back and take an overview of just what a colossal piece of poo poo Trump is. He seems to be just terrible garbage in every way a human can be.

Yes but Clinton

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Schnorkles posted:

Clinton up 98-2 with black voters in NC. :eyepop:

Yeah it can't be stated how dumb of a move it was to bring up the birther thing again. It's a big reason why he's polling beneath David loving Duke

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

There's a part of me that wants a Zybourne Clock game to be a reality.

The other part doesn't want to ruin the meme. Let it stay beautiful forever.

This is concerning.

Back onto Trump, I'm glad that media outlets are finally starting to point out obvious bullshit a week before the debates. As if they've been pushing a horse-race up until the point that he gets completely and utterly emasculated by The Killary, where they can then shift their narrative to 'worst defeat in history' and keep him low in the polls to reflect that.

Somewhere in the MSNBC Dungeons, Rachel Maddow steeples her fingers, the light of a hundred monitors shining off her glasses as she watches Trump fall apart.

"All according to keikaku," she whispers.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Al! posted:

Is this not illegal?

Nope! You can use campaign funds to purchase services from yourself at fair market value all day long.

The charity stuff is super illegal though, but not criminally.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/RednaxalA/status/778237717612142592
https://twitter.com/TheRickWilson/status/778243704792444929

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

So far early voting/ballot requests in NC are significantly in favor of Democrats and Independents, who go for Clinton measurably more than Trump

• Locked thread