Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

can cats get addicted to things because i think my cat is addicted to being brushed

she just sits outside next to the brush and basically yowls really loudly everytime someone walks past and doesnt stop until you brush her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampess
Nov 24, 2010
Update; tiger's ok, she hasn't puked in 2 weeks and was just a derp.

I've found 2 kittens though :(

I'm guessing a few weeks old? They're walking and mewing, but pretty tiny. BF said I was embarrassing him because I was laying on the ground to coax one from under our car, and to burn my clothes because they're probably diseased. Wonderful farm people attitude.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Vampess posted:

Update; tiger's ok, she hasn't puked in 2 weeks and was just a derp.

I've found 2 kittens though :(

I'm guessing a few weeks old? They're walking and mewing, but pretty tiny. BF said I was embarrassing him because I was laying on the ground to coax one from under our car, and to burn my clothes because they're probably diseased. Wonderful farm people attitude.

:sever:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Absolutely, toss that heartless bugger.

Whorelord posted:

can cats get addicted to things because i think my cat is addicted to being brushed

she just sits outside next to the brush and basically yowls really loudly everytime someone walks past and doesnt stop until you brush her

Reinforced behaviour rather than addiction I'd say. You stop and brush her (which she likes) when she yells. So she does it again and someone stops to brush her. She's going to sit there as much as she like hitting that brush me button because hey, it works.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

:same:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He is correct though.

:toxogond:

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

It's so strange, Jackie has been my only cat for 6 years and she has these paws (front paws especially) that are just ENORMOUS, big, clumsy. 8 toes on each one, her front paws are like goddamn shovels or something, and even her back paws are gigantic. But it has gotten to look normal to me

Now I have Sardine as well, and she has the exact opposite thing going on - her paws are TINY! I honestly don't think I've seen a cat her size with paws this small and delicate. Her legs all perfectly taper to these narrow, teeny paws with no extra digits of course. The contrast between the two just makes Jackie's paws seem even bigger and Sardine's even smaller :psyduck:

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

One of my cats keeps throwing up yellow bile. No hairballs, no half-digested food, just bile. 2-3 times a day. Changed their food from Nature's Balance to Blue Wilderness (both wet) and she's still doing it. Took her to the vet, got blood work done, vet suggested feeding both my cats three times a day instead of twice a day. Blood work came back fine, cats no longer try to get us out of bed at 5AM, cat still throws up 2-3 times a day. The next available appt I can get with the vet is next week. I have no idea what to do other than take her to the emergency vet. My partners are also at their wit's end cleaning up cat vomit. She's full of energy and litterbox activity's normal. What is wrong with my cat that a blood test didn't find?

EDIT: The vet did say that the cat lost weight since her last checkup, thus the changes in food. Felt her for tumors, nothing. I bagged up a scat sample (ick) and the vet didn't even consider it.

I brought my Drake fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 18, 2016

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

How long has this been going on for, how old is she, and does she get to go outside? From what you've said I would guess at eating something dumb that is stuck in her tummy or something? Most of the other possibilities are ruled out by the blood test and the symptoms. Not a vet though, just a goon.

Though thinking on it, regardless of the answers, I would probably give the same advice; Try a different vet. If they had given you a diagnosis that would be one thing, but they sound stumped. If it was because of overeating it would usually be, well, chewed up food, not just bile. And I am not a cat doctor, but not caring about the poop sample (especially if the blood work came back clean) sounds kinda weird, whenever ours have issues at either end, they usually want a poo sample before they do blood work. I'd say get kitty in sooner rather than later, emergency vet may be necessary but call other vets and see if you can get an appointment in the next day or two.

Immediate term, make sure there is abundant fresh water, she'll dehydrate in a hurry. I hope your kitty is okay!

e; Looking around online, my concerns may be a little overblown. I'd still consider a vet visit sooner rather than lately, but if there are no other symptoms and no diseases or what have you, it's probably (not definitely, but probably) okay for the short term as long as she is indeed eating and drinking and otherwise acting normally. It also looks like a shitload of small meals is a solution that usually works (like five daily), or just allowing free feeding, if your cats aren't too greedy to handle that.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Sep 18, 2016

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
I haven't read the whole thread yet because it's huge, but I just pulled a loving CLAW out of my cat's face. Aside from keeping a close eye on it in case of abcess/infection etc which obviously I will do and take straight to the vet, is there anything I should be aware of? He's pretty pissed at me right now and doesn't want me touching his face, but he didn't growl or whine when I was taking it out. It's also a cat-sized claw, and we don't have any predators like coyotes etc.

Yes he's an indoor-outdoor cat, yes I'm aware of the risks. I live in New Zealand on a super quiet street and it's the best option for his sanity.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Well, one thing I'll just say is that cats both shed very thick claw-casings at times, and they also wash their faces with their paws. I could totally see *my* cat getting one of her own cast-off claws getting stuck in her own face.

Quills
Mar 24, 2007
We picked up a young female cat, approximately a year old, from a shelter yesterday afternoon. Very friendly if contained to one room but after we tried to introduce her to the whole house was very nervous. Once we brought her back to the bedroom, she was great again. Slept in bed most of the night with us, besides eating and using the litter box, but went back in her closet hiding spot this morning. What's the best way to introduce her to the rest of the house? Once we let her out of the room there's no way to section off the rest of the house.

Also, the shelter has her wearing an e-collar, made from a paper plate, while she recovers from her spay. Is approximately a week a good amount of time to keep it on? They were somewhat vague.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Can you not let her explore the house in her own time? If you don't have a pressing reason to introduce her to the house in person (e.g. other cats/dogs that she'll need to be introduced to) I'd just leave the door open and let her come out when she's ready. Otherwise maybe try keeping her confined to the one room for a few days then try again once she's settled in a bit more.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah, just let her take her time and she'll get there eventually.

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
My cat Henry has these scabs around his neck and on his head. The other two have one or two little dots, but he has a lot of them. I took them to the vet about a week ago to get their rabies shots, and the vet checked all of them for fleas but didn't find any (I haven't seen any in my apartment and I haven't had any bites myself). He said it might be mange, but he didn't take a skin sample. He just told me to put Neosporin on the spots if they're red and to bring Henry back if they get worse.

I can't really tell if they're worse or not. Some of the scabs get knocked off when they play with each other, and one spot was bleeding the other day, so I cleaned it up and put Neosporin on it. But I'm not sure what to do now. I wasn't impressed with this vet (for example, he didn't know that a tri-colored cat could be male, even though it's rare. He thought it was impossible. He also didn't know that the green tattoos on their bellies were to indicate they'd been fixed). I only took them to that office because they offered a free first visit to shelter-adopted pets, and I needed to get their rabies shots.

Henry seems to be okay otherwise, as do the other two. He scratches a bit, and so does George to a lesser extent. Emily doesn't really scratch any spots so much. But they're all eating and excreting normally, as far as I can tell, and they're very active and basically act like 4-month old kittens.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I can try to get a picture of one of the spots, if I can get him to cooperate.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Is neosporin (triple antibiotic) safe for cats? Just like ever other piece of information on the INTERNET, there's plenty of conflicting opinions.

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
I was wondering that as well. The vet said it was, but I'm not sure I can trust him.

vvv edit: I never said that. I'm not sure this particular vet is as knowledgeable about cats as he should be. There were several moments during the visit where his knowledge seemed wanting. He didn't believe my boy cat was a boy cat until after a thorough examination, even though I told him that I had records indicating this cat had been neutered. I would assume a vet performing that kind of operation would know what sort of genitalia he was looking at. But this vet didn't believe me, because the cat was tri-colored. I trust vets. I don't know that I trust this vet. It may not have been a lack of knowledge, but a lack of concentration. Perhaps he was in a hurry. Perhaps there was a language barrier (English was not his first language). At any rate, I just want to make sure I'm not hurting my cat by putting something poisonous on him that he will likely lick off.

I am going to take my cat to a different vet. But I was hoping someone here had heard of this particular issue before, so I could maybe get an idea of something I can do in the meantime to help.

ZoeDomingo fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 19, 2016

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I too trust strangers on the Internet over people literally licensed to practice cat medicine.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
As others before me have discovered, photographing active kittens are hard.

So here's an album with yellow kitten pictures, because wtf is focus and white balance (let auto focus do its job, and tried to correct the white balance, but still too yellow for my liking)?

http://imgur.com/a/u4Naw

Teaser pictures:

Herp

Derp

I don't care if I make a mess as long as I get all this food in to me right now!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ZoeDomingo posted:

I was wondering that as well. The vet said it was, but I'm not sure I can trust him.

vvv edit: I never said that. I'm not sure this particular vet is as knowledgeable about cats as he should be. There were several moments during the visit where his knowledge seemed wanting. He didn't believe my boy cat was a boy cat until after a thorough examination, even though I told him that I had records indicating this cat had been neutered. I would assume a vet performing that kind of operation would know what sort of genitalia he was looking at. But this vet didn't believe me, because the cat was tri-colored. I trust vets. I don't know that I trust this vet. It may not have been a lack of knowledge, but a lack of concentration. Perhaps he was in a hurry. Perhaps there was a language barrier (English was not his first language). At any rate, I just want to make sure I'm not hurting my cat by putting something poisonous on him that he will likely lick off.

I am going to take my cat to a different vet. But I was hoping someone here had heard of this particular issue before, so I could maybe get an idea of something I can do in the meantime to help.

I've never heard of any issues with neosporin. I've used it on my own cats without incident. I guess it's possible for anyone to have an allergy to an antibiotic, though.

Daub it lightly on the wounds every few hours, you don't need to slather it on. It's there to kill the bacteria so the sores can heal. We had a cat with bad neck sores once and used a headband, doubled, to cover it up while it healed. It was just snug enough to keep it covered without falling off.

It's possible your cat has an allergy to something that caused its skin to get itchy, which made it scratch to begin with. If you changed his diet before he started scratching that may be an indicator.

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
Thank you. I had put some ointment on him a couple of times, and it didn't seem to bother him, but I wanted to make sure.

They're eating the same canned food they did in the shelter, but I added a dry food because I can't come home and feed them in the middle of the day. I chose one of the ones listed as a "good dry food" in the Pet Nutrition Thread: Solid Gold Indigo Moon. Maybe he's allergic to something in that.

I may try the headband thing, although the other two may try to help him bust out of it. :)

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Visited a shelter with my mom on Friday to look at kitties.

We had our hearts stolen by a black floofbeast but the kitty wasn't interested in coming home with us. :negative:

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

kaworu posted:

Well, one thing I'll just say is that cats both shed very thick claw-casings at times, and they also wash their faces with their paws. I could totally see *my* cat getting one of her own cast-off claws getting stuck in her own face.

I had no idea this was a thing. Thanks!

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Hi thread. I adopted two kitties a few weeks ago and am having lots of fun! they're both very sweet and playful and loving. I adopted a male and a female, they're not quite 3 months old. They have since day one wrestled and play fought and stuff but lately the male is being a real rear end in a top hat. He pretty much bullies the female. Basically at any given moment she'll be playing with something or cuddling me and he will decide to go and gently caress up her day. As I type this she is chasing her tail on my bed and he is stalking her. She used to give back but now she basically just runs away and he follows her and swats and nips. They have been displaying normal kitten play beforehand but this is straight up bullying.

I have a storage tub in my bedroom with the lid slightly open--I looked over and he was standing on the lid, she was poking her head out trying to get away and he was clawing her every time she showed her face. I smacked him and he ran away but he's back at it.
Should I get them fixed soon? I'd like to be able to cuddle this kitten without the other one coming up and loving with her.

Vampess
Nov 24, 2010
Update on the kittens, saw one in the exact same place, pretty much right next to the road. BF says they're the neighbor's cats, which is probably true, in the sense that they're the offspring of. Sadly no one here seems to spay/neuter their cats, and an indoor cat is a novelty. BF said there's probably more kittens, but these are more adventurous, and I honestly think he's just telling me that to not take them inside.

The problem is, that none of the cats here have a tag, or are spayed/neutered, and most do belong to some property. If I'd try to trap & release here, I'd probably end up footing the medical bill for the whole neighborhood.

I'm just glad we did the proper thing with Tiger, and she's a happy, healthy, and spayed indoor kitty.

The whole attitude of having a cat of a sort of livestock bothers me tremendously though. I get that the rural mindset is different, but get your animals spayed or neutered, damnit.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

queserasera posted:

One of my cats keeps throwing up yellow bile. No hairballs, no half-digested food, just bile. 2-3 times a day. Changed their food from Nature's Balance to Blue Wilderness (both wet) and she's still doing it. Took her to the vet, got blood work done, vet suggested feeding both my cats three times a day instead of twice a day. Blood work came back fine, cats no longer try to get us out of bed at 5AM, cat still throws up 2-3 times a day. The next available appt I can get with the vet is next week. I have no idea what to do other than take her to the emergency vet. My partners are also at their wit's end cleaning up cat vomit. She's full of energy and litterbox activity's normal. What is wrong with my cat that a blood test didn't find?

EDIT: The vet did say that the cat lost weight since her last checkup, thus the changes in food. Felt her for tumors, nothing. I bagged up a scat sample (ick) and the vet didn't even consider it.

It was my dog that did it not my cats, but the only times I've had consistent yellow bile is when he's had low grade food poisoning. First was when he was nibbling poisonous berries (but not enough to actually do anything except make him spew), and secondly was when his food had gone a bit rancid in the heat - he'd vomit overnight. You've already eliminated option 2, so yeah like the other poster said maybe she's eaten something stupid.

Sharzak posted:

Should I get them fixed soon? I'd like to be able to cuddle this kitten without the other one coming up and loving with her.

Alas it's not a guaranteed solution, both my cats are neutered and Decoy has always and will always be a gently caress knuckle toward Hugo. Only thing that stopped the behaviour was the unexpected benefit of having a herding dog who gets majorly butthurt at any sign of conflict in his flock and physically separates them at the first hint of a fight.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
While I'm at it; have another video, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4fsY_4fONI

Can't go wrong with string, or shoelaces, or rope, or cables, or yarn, or anything, really.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Nyaaargh.

One of my dear, sweet kitties wiped his danglepoo off onto the middle of one of my couch cushions. The cover is in the washing machine, and I've just Nature's Miracle'd the foam cushion itself, but I can still smell poo.

Any way to get it out?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Datasmurf posted:

As others before me have discovered, photographing active kittens are hard.

So here's an album with yellow kitten pictures, because wtf is focus and white balance (let auto focus do its job, and tried to correct the white balance, but still too yellow for my liking)?

http://imgur.com/a/u4Naw

Teaser pictures:

Herp

Derp

I don't care if I make a mess as long as I get all this food in to me right now!

See if your camera has a "Push" or manual white balance mode; this lets you shove a piece of white paper in front of the camera and take a picture for a sample to figure out white balance properly for you. Other than that, try using a flash and bounce it.

Hyperlynx posted:

Nyaaargh.

One of my dear, sweet kitties wiped his danglepoo off onto the middle of one of my couch cushions. The cover is in the washing machine, and I've just Nature's Miracle'd the foam cushion itself, but I can still smell poo.

Any way to get it out?

If you're in the states, you could try renting one of those steam cleaners and trying that on the cushion. From my experience, save your nature's miracle for piss; it doesn't really help with poo and poo isn't nearly as stubborn and vile as the piss.

serious pee pee poo poo doo doo kaka talk up in here

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Sharzak posted:

Hi thread. I adopted two kitties a few weeks ago and am having lots of fun! they're both very sweet and playful and loving. I adopted a male and a female, they're not quite 3 months old. They have since day one wrestled and play fought and stuff but lately the male is being a real rear end in a top hat. He pretty much bullies the female. Basically at any given moment she'll be playing with something or cuddling me and he will decide to go and gently caress up her day. As I type this she is chasing her tail on my bed and he is stalking her. She used to give back but now she basically just runs away and he follows her and swats and nips. They have been displaying normal kitten play beforehand but this is straight up bullying.

I have a storage tub in my bedroom with the lid slightly open--I looked over and he was standing on the lid, she was poking her head out trying to get away and he was clawing her every time she showed her face. I smacked him and he ran away but he's back at it.

The male will get more aggressive and start to smell pretty bad (intact tom piss reeks). Given half a chance he'll abscond to roam around looking for queens in season, a lot of them end up squashed on the roads doing this and he may not bother coming back.

The girl will come into season: this will be confusing and unpleasant for her, messy and annoying for you. She will lie on the floor wafting her tail and yelling to bring the rafters down - "Come and get it! Fresh pussy!". Eventually she'll bleed and that stuff doesn't smell too nice either. Or she'll be gangbanged by any toms that smell her and manage to gain access. Cat ovulation is stimulated by pain, that's why the toms bite the back of the queens neck and his penis is covered in tiny backward pointing barbs (which apart from the pain in vagina angle, also help extract any semen plug another tom left).

Don't dither, just get them done. Now. Before they start, especially the girl.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:allbuttons:

thank you for the straight up creepiest bob barker "spay and neuter your pets" ever there guy...

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Cats in heat are very vocal. My old kitty Amber went into heat before we got her spayed. We kept her shut up in a room inside, and she YOWLED.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Ratzap posted:

The male will get more aggressive and start to smell pretty bad (intact tom piss reeks). Given half a chance he'll abscond to roam around looking for queens in season, a lot of them end up squashed on the roads doing this and he may not bother coming back.

The girl will come into season: this will be confusing and unpleasant for her, messy and annoying for you. She will lie on the floor wafting her tail and yelling to bring the rafters down - "Come and get it! Fresh pussy!". Eventually she'll bleed and that stuff doesn't smell too nice either. Or she'll be gangbanged by any toms that smell her and manage to gain access. Cat ovulation is stimulated by pain, that's why the toms bite the back of the queens neck and his penis is covered in tiny backward pointing barbs (which apart from the pain in vagina angle, also help extract any semen plug another tom left).

Don't dither, just get them done. Now. Before they start, especially the girl.

There are so many potential thread titles in here

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Don't dither, end her 'come hither'

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Vampess posted:

Update on the kittens, saw one in the exact same place, pretty much right next to the road. BF says they're the neighbor's cats, which is probably true, in the sense that they're the offspring of. Sadly no one here seems to spay/neuter their cats, and an indoor cat is a novelty. BF said there's probably more kittens, but these are more adventurous, and I honestly think he's just telling me that to not take them inside.

The problem is, that none of the cats here have a tag, or are spayed/neutered, and most do belong to some property. If I'd try to trap & release here, I'd probably end up footing the medical bill for the whole neighborhood.

I'm just glad we did the proper thing with Tiger, and she's a happy, healthy, and spayed indoor kitty.

The whole attitude of having a cat of a sort of livestock bothers me tremendously though. I get that the rural mindset is different, but get your animals spayed or neutered, damnit.

You shouldn't have to pay anything if it's a specific TNR program versus taking them to a vet or the local shelter.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

duckfarts posted:

See if your camera has a "Push" or manual white balance mode; this lets you shove a piece of white paper in front of the camera and take a picture for a sample to figure out white balance properly for you. Other than that, try using a flash and bounce it.

It does, and I did. Custom didn't really help much, so after trying some of the other settings, I just said gently caress it and put it on auto. Yellow be damned, it's not like I'm putting them on 500px or anything like that anyway. I'll connect the external flash and try to bounce it the next time. Thanks for the tip, though.

Also, kitten has a visitor. My sister is home, and brought her cat to stay here untill Sunday, so this will be fun. The kitten wants to socialize and hang out with the older female, but the older female is antisocial and grumpy, so it's a lot of hissing around the house.

The older one usually goes upstairs and lounge in a chair, while we keep the kitten in the kitchen (with her food, water, and litter). When we can't stand the meowing anymore, we let her out (since it's her house, after all), and she runs upstairs to the old one, resulting in hissing and other weird noises, but at least they're not physical with each other.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
For my birthday, I Got Catte :3:

obligatory picture of Claudius:

I don't know why imgur refuses to embed this picture. Rescued from the streets and starving. She's pregnant in this picture, goddamn...

Resettled, fed for a month, and happy as a clam-cat.

She has some serious eagle talons going on which gets problematic with her otherwise delightful love of cuddling and kneading my legs and bedsheets. They're not split and ragged anymore, but I'm playing it conservative lopping off the tips every week or two just to keep them blunt. Is there a rule of thumb about how short I can get them or should I just keep going until just before I hit the kiwk?

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 20, 2016

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

SneakyFrog posted:

:allbuttons:

thank you for the straight up creepiest bob barker "spay and neuter your pets" ever there guy...

Success then. I've been involved in cat rescue for a long time now and just telling people to get their pets neutered doesn't work. You have to paint it in words, make them understand how dumb it is to even have to ask. Unless you're breeding cats, get them neutered, full stop. There's plenty more reasons on top of those I described for you above. For example the old "She'll be happier if she just has one set of kittens" - Wrong! What they mean is "We want kittens to play with, who cares what the cat wants". Every litter a cat has increases it's later chances of mammary cancer. Ah crap, I could rant for hours.

Just neuter your drat pets. Please.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Datasmurf posted:

It does, and I did. Custom didn't really help much, so after trying some of the other settings, I just said gently caress it and put it on auto. Yellow be damned, it's not like I'm putting them on 500px or anything like that anyway. I'll connect the external flash and try to bounce it the next time. Thanks for the tip, though.
make sure your white paper is in the yellow light when you take the white balance sample photo, and that your camera lens can see nothing else when you take that sample

Willie Tomg posted:

For my birthday, I Got Catte :3:

obligatory picture of Claudius:

I don't know why imgur refuses to embed this picture. Rescued from the streets and starving. She's pregnant in this picture, goddamn...

Resettled, fed for a month, and happy as a clam-cat.

She has some serious eagle talons going on which gets problematic with her otherwise delightful love of cuddling and kneading my legs and bedsheets. They're not split and ragged anymore, but I'm playing it conservative lopping off the tips every week or two just to keep them blunt. Is there a rule of thumb about how short I can get them or should I just keep going until just before I hit the kiwk?

look at that fuckin cat

don't go too nuts; generally, you just want to cut the tips down unless the nails are getting really thick or notably long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Ratzap posted:

Success then. I've been involved in cat rescue for a long time now and just telling people to get their pets neutered doesn't work. You have to paint it in words, make them understand how dumb it is to even have to ask. Unless you're breeding cats, get them neutered, full stop. There's plenty more reasons on top of those I described for you above. For example the old "She'll be happier if she just has one set of kittens" - Wrong! What they mean is "We want kittens to play with, who cares what the cat wants". Every litter a cat has increases it's later chances of mammary cancer. Ah crap, I could rant for hours.

Just neuter your drat pets. Please.

Ok but that poster wasn't asking if they should neuter the cats at all, just whether doing it is likely to stop the boy cat from being such a dick and therefore it should be done asap. The answer to which is possibly but probably not, kittens are just dicks.