Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

GEMorris posted:

What is the thread opinion on Power Grid?

Really well-designed game, but very mathy and kind of dry so know what you're getting into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Ojetor posted:

Yeah, the four player minis are pre-painted and there's also 100 minion miniatures as well as a secret miniature (part of the legacy elements) that's larger than all of the others and was called "easily the most expensive piece". Seems ridiculously good value for the price, I have to wonder if Riot is even making a profit from this game. They might be selling at cost or even at a loss and marking it off as publicity.

Here's an article that talks a bit about Quinns' consultancy. He was apparently the one to suggest adding a legacy campaign and modular boards, making them delay the release for over a year and a half to add those things.

After reading their preliminary rulebook, I'm shocked at how much better the game appears to be, and shocked at how much worse the rulebook appears to be. This has to be just a reference rulebook. There's no way in TYOOL 2016 someone would think people could learn to play from a glorified glossary.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

GEMorris posted:

What is the thread opinion on Power Grid?

Resource market is cool, but I like Chicago Express for auctions and networking better (also shorter).

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

golden bubble posted:

After reading their preliminary rulebook, I'm shocked at how much better the game appears to be, and shocked at how much worse the rulebook appears to be. This has to be just a reference rulebook. There's no way in TYOOL 2016 someone would think people could learn to play from a glorified glossary.

It is an odd rulebook for sure. Maybe there is a play walkthrough...

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Once I find Star Trek Frontiers I will run a PBP of it and then you can all learn about fiddly rules. See how you like it when all that poo poo you internalized is ever-so-slightly different once Mage Knight Goes To Space.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

golden bubble posted:

They're doing the FFG-style rulebook thing. One regular rulebook and an alphabetical reference rulebook for looking up specific stuff. As for why they would upload the glossary and not the other one, who knows.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

jmzero posted:

Showing the icons on the board is easier for a first time player without impeding an experienced player. I mean, Vlaada made this same decision, but the other way, for other parts of the game. Was he wrong in those cases? I mean, imagine an alternate game where each monster token was just a picture and had a definition on a card somewhere - like a Medusa token is just a picture, and so when you're fighting one you find the Medusa card and see it has Petrification and read what its stats are. Obviously that would be better because we don't want to hold a new players hand? And it would be better because instead of having to look at the symbols on the token you could just know what a Medusa does? And you wouldn't have to lean over the table to see those stats?

I'm sure these situations are super different in your mind for some reason, but they look very similar to me, and I think having some icons is the right choice in both cases.
No, Vlaada wasn't wrong because he thought these things through and made the correct decisions because he's a good game designer. The reason the icons are on the creatures is so that you can pick up the creature off the map and put it in front of you to look at. The reason rampaging, etc. are by enemy type are so that when you put the creature on the map it's not covering up relevant information that you would prefer is printed on the map, concealed by the token on top of it. If an orc or dragon is face up on the map, it's rampaging. If anything else is face up no the map, it's fortified. There are no icons on that map that you can't see when it matters. Your proposed changes prohibit me from knowing exactly the conditions for my fight with the purple guy without picking him up to reference what's under him, or picking him up and sitting back down to contemplate my moves without referencing the map again. My hand holding remark is in reference to you saying that people shouldn't have to learn that ranged attack is effective in dungeons over the course of several plays. To me that's depth, and part of the appeal. It has nothing to do with the iconography. The reason these things are "super different in my mind" is because the differences actually matter.

jmzero posted:

Well, uh, yes? By default creatures would spawn face up and not be rampaging - just like, by default, creature tokens don't have haste or poison. Is that fiddly that they have poison, except when they don't? We could phrase all sorts of rules in nonsense ways to try to make them sound confusing. Alternatively, we could recognize that this pattern of default intuitive properties, with exceptions called out by icons or keywords, is normal across a variety of games that people like, and which people find easy to learn.
I'm saying that your method reduces consistency of presentation. You want to say there is [encounter spot] and then [modifier]. Say for instance you are teaching a new player to play and the first [encounter spot] is fortified. Then they think the next [encounter spot] is fortified as well but you say no, this one is rampaging because of a different icon which will become obscured by the token. It's the same as the current system, just more complicated, not less. Also there's a difference between printing several small icons on a map that's a few feet away from you and putting them on handy references or tokens that you can pass around, as I pointed out above. Mage Knight can be a very large game and reducing the icons on the map to one big one instead of several small ones is a very good decision. This is similar to why there are city cards you put the tokens on instead of stacking them all up in one hex.

jmzero posted:

In general, you seem to be treating my suggestions like they'd be houserules on top of the completed game of Mage Knight - like you'd have to explain to people that creatures don't attack you when you walk by them. Nobody would have thought that's what they do. Rather, they'd correctly assume they didn't - and then when you got to one with the marauding icon, you could explain what that means. (Or, honestly, you could get rid of the whole concept and not lose all that much, but I can't imagine you'd like that). Similarly, when you flip over a tile with monsters on it, you put the monsters the tile shows on that space face up. That is a really intuitive default that would confuse nobody. Nor do I think you'd create a bunch of confusion when you found a space with the hidden icon, where you don't get to see the monster until you move onto it (or, God forbid, until you move next to it in the night time - another whole branch of rules that aren't worth their weight).

Anyway, to me, I think there's design decisions in MK that could have gone a different way and ended up with a game I like more. You seem to like/value different things, many of which I don't really understand, but overall I don't object to you liking things the way they are - I like Mage Knight too.
I've had players assume that they can attack from adjacent, or not, or that creatures will fight them, or chase them, or not. You can't accurately predict what other people find intuitive.

I'm not treating your suggestions as house rules, I'm pointing out that if you designed the game from the principles you want that you would wind up diminishing the variety that I and others value because you couldn't have the wild swings in power between the different token piles. It completely changes the way you have to approach balancing the game, and I pointed it out by showing that when the game actually does this in cities it becomes problematic. No, I wouldn't ditch rampaging enemies because they create roadblocks and interesting movement puzzles. I wouldn't ditch the night rules either because they are thematic and broaden the number of factors that go into strategic decision making. I realize your tastes are different and I respect that, but I'm pointing issues with your proposed design goals along with how they would narrow the strategic space of the game and you're just being pretty aggressive and rude about the whole thing so I'll not say any more.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Magnetic North posted:

Videos also dropped today from Watch It Played and The Dice Tower. At first I thought it might have been a huge media blast for everyone they could, but instead it seems they just actually know who's popular and/or good and who they wanted on board. Which is probably a good sign, or at least shows some awareness on their part.
e: Also, Radho.

They did say the main guy behind the project at Riot has 1200 board games, probably keeps up on the big names in reviewing.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
All this MK chat is making me twitchy. Gotta get a game on.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Turtlicious posted:

Dead of Winter is amazing, and no-one say anything bad about it. It's my baby.

Did you get your settlement cheque from the makers of Thalidomide yet?

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

golden bubble posted:

Still a classic, but you shouldn't play it with only two players. Is there any auction focused game that works with two players?

I liked 5 Tribes more as a two player game than with 3 or 4. That being said, it's auction mechanic is fairly simplistic, but still pretty important to devising a strategy.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Ojetor posted:

Here's an article that talks a bit about Quinns' consultancy. He was apparently the one to suggest adding a legacy campaign and modular boards, making them delay the release for over a year and a half to add those things.

Legacy is whatever but modular boards are such an obvious and good idea I'm kind of surprised they didn't have them already.

Also this quote is loving amazing:

quote:

"We had Tom come out first," Cantrell said. "At the end he said, ‘I don’t know why you’re worried. I think you’ve got a great game!’ We were doing high-fives. And I remember somebody even asking, ‘Well, do we still even want Quintin to come out?’ But he already had his flight, so we might as well.

"Quintin came and he played it, and he said, ‘I’ll be honest. I loved it. ... But frankly I don’t think I’d ever play it again.’" Smith declined to be interviewed for this article.

itsjustfun.gif

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I can't remember if I asked this already. Were and of the Coup or Resistance spin-offs (other than Avalon) worth checking out? Yes I am aware the publisher is terrible.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

dishwasherlove posted:

I can't remember if I asked this already. Were and of the Coup or Resistance spin-offs (other than Avalon) worth checking out? Yes I am aware the publisher is terrible.

Resistance Sci Fi expanded enough to be strictly better than Avalon. Coup: Reformation is good, Coup 54 is not. My problem with 54 is that it's incredibly hard to bluff when you don't have a firm hold on what the roles actually are/do, which is much easier in vanilla Coup than for every game of 54.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I'm not a huge fan of Power Grid, it's so much a maths exercise and it doesn't have the nice route building of 18xx. Like its a competently built game but it doesn't feel like fun to play for me.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

The auctions and route building in Power Grid are rather dull and I agree with whoever said they would rather play Chicago Express. Shame about the resource market. Every time I played Power Grid there seems to be little reason to bid aggressively on the plants since if someone gets a good one you'll probably just get a better one later, due to the way the deck functions. Or, alternately, the person going last will get an absurd bargain on a lucky draw. Contrast to Chicago Express where you should be aggressively auctioning shares of opponents' companies in order to dilute the share value. There's so much more interaction with every action in Chicago Express.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I don't think I've ever soured on a game as fast as Power Grid when the last round hit. There's lots of clever stuff in it but that last turn is SO unsatisfying and vulnerable to kingmaking.

Broom Service has a similar problem.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Welp, played my first round of Cuba Libre. It took a little over 4 1/2 hours to teach, set-up and play with four new players. What a tight freaking game man, at no point did I feel like I could manage to win till the very last round! Even when I got comfortable with my strategy for a win, It was thwarted by a card that forced me to miss the last turn when I was planning to make a mad dash to control a point and win. Which lead to no one meeting the victory condition, so it came down to a 2nd tiebreaker where my faction won only because it was ordered first for some reason in the rulebook /shrug. I played as the Directorio faction, which was pretty much a different shade of the main insurgent faction 26 July.

Pros:
-Lots of interesting choices
-Eligible/Ineligible mechanic makes for some tough calls
-The scoring is tight and you can have some HUGE momentum swings or little taps to victory
-How differently 3 of the 4 factions play, some nice asymmetry, would enjoy playing any of the 4 and working out strategies.
-You can negotiate freely with the other factions, "sure, I'll fund your slaughter of government forces in that forest!"

Cons:
-The asymmetry of the factions causes a bit of information overload and keeping track of 4 victory conditions can be hard to monitor, especially on your first play through.
-Rules are dry, however they're thorough.
-Lots of actions, which only can be activated while certain board conditions are available like control of territory, levels of support, or when a type of troop is present in an area (looking at you underground troop). So you'll start planning a turn only to realize that you can't perform one of your actions due to changes on the player board.

Overall, I had a great time with it and would happily play again, but would not want to teach this thing to new people.

Texibus fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Sep 20, 2016

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Teaching COIN is always the problem, it takes ages to do because you have to explain all the actions to all the players or they will struggle to understand what is an actual threat within the game and what isn't. The rule of thumb is that underground insurgents are threatening, while exposed ones aren't really (which is why Che is such a great capability to have).

Also keep in mind that Cuba Libre tends to have the most powerful card events, which is an intentional part of the design and meant to represent that sometimes the various factions were more influenced by outside events rather than the actual situation on the ground during the revolution.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Some people I know made a silly video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbGSUYLehQw

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Tekopo posted:

Teaching COIN is always the problem, it takes ages to do because you have to explain all the actions to all the players or they will struggle to understand what is an actual threat within the game and what isn't. The rule of thumb is that underground insurgents are threatening, while exposed ones aren't really (which is why Che is such a great capability to have).

Also keep in mind that Cuba Libre tends to have the most powerful card events, which is an intentional part of the design and meant to represent that sometimes the various factions were more influenced by outside events rather than the actual situation on the ground during the revolution.

It's such a blessing once you have a core of COIN-experienced players in your group. Teaching each new one takes practically minutes after the first game.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
For all the people who replied to my previous post, I did indeed mean Fury of Dracula, not Letters from Whitechapel. I blame sleep deprivation.

In any case, thanks for the replies, guess I'll bite the bullet and plop down 47,00€

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

I had no idea there was a catan world championship tournament

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

MrDru posted:

Friend of mine was the catan UK champion once. I still joke about it nowadays.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Tekopo posted:

Friend of mine was the catan UK champion once. I still joke about it nowadays.

A friend of mine came second in the seven wonders tournament at the UK board game expo this last year.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Thanks for the power grid feedback. It's currently a favorite of my group and I have all the expansion maps, but I was wondering if there was something "bad" about it or if there were even better similar games. Sounds like we should try out Chicago express.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The ending should've been playing Catan and dude just grabs an axe to chop the table in half because he's playing Catan.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

MrDru posted:

I worked on the live broadcast team for the 2012 Champs in Valley Forge. The finals were played on a giant Catan carpet...which we found out about an hour before said finals, so getting the camera setups in position was "fun."

Sorry for the 480p video quality. We weren't using the best broadcast equipment back then, and Livestream was still kinda new.

(You can see me sitting at the far left end of the broadcast table, in the back of the opening shot. I'm the blonde loving around with the monitors.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rumda posted:

A friend of mine came second in the seven wonders tournament at the UK board game expo this last year.

The difference being that 7 Wonders has skill and knowledge involved. Catan is won by rolling dice really well.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

MrDru posted:

I played in the Canadian championships this year at a con. Had I won I would have gone to worlds in... Colorado? I sat down to play and realized that I couldn't remember the rules, and then I quit after one round to go play something else.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I managed to grab a copy of Factory Funnner before it sold out, oh yeah. I tried out the online version to see if it was my poo poo, and it was indeed my poo poo! Very, very much! :shepface:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Mister Sinewave posted:

I managed to grab a copy of Factory Funnner before it sold out, oh yeah. I tried out the online version to see if it was my poo poo, and it was indeed my poo poo! Very, very much! :shepface:
Holy poo poo I didn't even know this existed, I love Factory Fun!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I love the name of the remake: Factory Funner :h:

Hexes instead of squares and a few other things probably who cares take mah munny :arghfist::mad: :10bux:

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

GEMorris posted:

Thanks for the power grid feedback. It's currently a favorite of my group and I have all the expansion maps, but I was wondering if there was something "bad" about it or if there were even better similar games. Sounds like we should try out Chicago express.

While I do think Chicago express is the better overall game, you don't have to throw out power grid or anything - the lower level of direct aggression might be what some groups want. While Chicago express enforces interaction, it makes almost every move about either incentivizing a partnership to your benefit, or loving over people who've turned down your generous offer of partnership.

You should absolutely get CE though, it's got a super interesting decision space with a lower rules overhead than PG.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Couple of Power Grid questions; is starting on the west coast of the US map a bad idea and why or why not? And wind plants; how much of a trap are they?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I think I'm putting in treasure map for theme, but otherwise, I think I took your advice in blocking off +treasure cards:

ambassador (seaside)
haven (seaside)
native village (seaside)
pirate ship (seaside)
sea hag (seaside)
tactician (seaside)
treasure map (seaside)
peasant+ (adventures) [for the crew, yarr]
rabble (prosperity)
watchtower (prosperity)

Edit event: bonfire (adventures)

I don't think I'd put out platinums and colonies.

I don't think I have anything that can trash (Edit: curses) in there though; the ambassador is about as close as it gets, which just turns into a giant curse exchange. Eh... maybe.

I played a version on Dominion.NET. I lost to the AI, but that may be because I swung into Pirate Ship too late for thematic reasons. Not a bad board.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
I'm interested in games built around auctions, so that I can become more familiar with existing designs for a design I'm noodling about in my head.

Aside from Power Grid and Chicago Express (which have both been mentioned multiple times), what are people's favorite games featuring auctions?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

foxxtrot posted:

I'm interested in games built around auctions, so that I can become more familiar with existing designs for a design I'm noodling about in my head.

Aside from Power Grid and Chicago Express (which have both been mentioned multiple times), what are people's favorite games featuring auctions?

Keyflower

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

foxxtrot posted:

Keyflower and Archipelago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Texibus
May 18, 2008

foxxtrot posted:

RA! IT'S SOOOOO GOOD. Panic on Wallstreet is great too, but I don't think that's the kind of auction you're looking for.