Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

El Grillo posted:

Does the new witchspace look any better in VR? Or is it really just adding the star at the end of the tunnel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AvWYpg8WBI

:frontear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Dedicated cargo internals, mmm? I wonder what other boats'll get that?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

SpannerX posted:

The Orca has had them since the game came out.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

quote:

- Rebalance for fixed scenario AI set up, specifically for Nav Beacons and RES sites
- Added in new ship types and slightly tweaked down the difficulty of the more extreme set ups
This looks interesting as well.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Do passenger missions pay enough that buying the super expensive and otherwise unimpressive transport ships is worth it?

oRGy
May 8, 2014

SpannerX posted:

hopefully all of them, since the current system makes cargo ships (t7/9) completely unviable. i.e. every ship has x cargo compartments, smaller and combat ships having very small ones, you can replace your optional module space with extra cargo space but this would give something like a 50% bonus to cargo space max.

i mean why did :frontear: copy almost all of the ship variables from EVE in the first place only to completely miss the point of why they were set up that way and balanced, argh

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
No, guys, this is the best patch note:
Sensor zoom level should now be approximately preserved between super cruise and normal space

I'm pretty disappointed at the VR so-called improvements. I guess I was hopeful that they'd say they implemented something so that the performance wouldn't be so lovely in VR. Instead it is "fixed some camera angles" and "added text to some walls you can now see if you look at them" and "added new presets, which are just other presets with one option changed".

EDIT: Oh wait what? You have to pay $10 to try the beta?

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 20, 2016

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
So, is all the new stuff live, or is that on the test server. I've been playing other games / dealing with family issues the past few weeks.

oRGy
May 8, 2014
Beta server. Either buy in for 10bux now, or don't worry because you paid before via premium beta/lifetime expansion pass.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Some of the new passenger missions are interesting, it can go up to you getting 5 million for a scientist wanting to scan a Carbon star. With your mission money going down based on customer satisfaction. One of those guys I'm looking at doesn't like being scanned, for example.

My two test passengers also hate it when you're getting shot at, so I guess it's good for your 1800 light year science trip that most of it is outside the bubble. :v:

Apparently Frontier also added a "target value"-rating to tell a player how likely it is for the game to spawn NPCs to hunt you. My science-guys are low-value targets at "unlikely to be sought by hostile forces".

Which is good, getting surprised by death squadrons is nasty, but if the game warns you beforehand Mr. Magoo is hated in all three empires and entire fleets will try to hunt you down if you have this passenger on your ship, you only have yourself to blame.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

TorakFade posted:

Do passenger missions pay enough that buying the super expensive and otherwise unimpressive transport ships is worth it?

probably not but it seems like you can put passenger cabins in just about any slot like you would for cargo racks

setting aside the highly subjective "worth it" metric they won't match scams and borderline exploits in the credit/hour arena but it is something to do in a game where people complain about there being nothing to do

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 20, 2016

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

SpannerX posted:

The Orca already has them. It's not as good as it sounds - it just means you can't put anything in its biggest slots except a cargo bay or a passenger rack, so your ability to use it for anything besides hauling or tourism is restricted.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

probably not but it seems like you can put passenger cabins in just about any slot like you would for cargo racks

setting aside the highly subjective "worth it" metric they won't match scams and borderline exploits in the credit/hour arena but it is something to do in a game where people complain about there being nothing to do

Well if I can just stuff passengers in a Type 6 what is the point of those really expensive dedicated ships like beluga or Orca?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

TorakFade posted:

Well if I can just stuff passengers in a Type 6 what is the point of those really expensive dedicated ships like beluga or Orca?

Appearently theres a new "mission board" called "passenger lounge" in which you pick up people and missions.
There seem to be bulk transports for unwashed masses of refugees and vip missions for politicians and celebrities.
Id guess a type 6 can haul space syrians but not space trumps.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Okay so can I get an official word if it's worth putting armor on a combat-y Diamondback Scout? I fly that thing sort of like an angry bee, with my pair of C2 incendiary frags as my main weapon. When shields go, I go. Still, it's nice not to be one-shot, but my main concern and reason for posting is that I don't know/understand how much extra mass affects maneuverability.

So would I see much of a drop in agility going from 255.8T (312 M/S / 216 Hull) to 281.8T (305 M/S / 420 Hull)?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I just found a Federation scientist who wants to travel to Jaques' station first class, together with her staff.

My Anaconda has enough cabin space. If this weren't Beta, I would do this. 20k+ light years? gently caress it, it's for science and 44 million bucks

Man, I hope they leave those special long-range trips in.

Edit:

Before you ask, that wasn't even an Elite-mission, just Pioneer. Which means you could theoretically get even higher payouts.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Morter posted:

Okay so can I get an official word if it's worth putting armor on a combat-y Diamondback Scout? I fly that thing sort of like an angry bee, with my pair of C2 incendiary frags as my main weapon. When shields go, I go. Still, it's nice not to be one-shot, but my main concern and reason for posting is that I don't know/understand how much extra mass affects maneuverability.

So would I see much of a drop in agility going from 255.8T (312 M/S / 216 Hull) to 281.8T (305 M/S / 420 Hull)?

Depending on your thrusters, id wager "no".
Jumprange suffers heavily from every ton though.

Sidenote, the engineer upgrade for lightweight alloy increases protection at the cost of more weight, but at a base weight of zero the adjusted weight is still zero so you only gain protection with no downside whatsoever.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Morter posted:

Anecdotal, but I have never seen mass affect maneuverability, only top/boost speed and jump range. Anecdotal evidence: Cutter empty and full of 720 tons of cargo maneuverability feels exactly the same to me.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

TorakFade posted:

no point. just spam :frontear:

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Morter posted:

Double post sorry, but if you're concerned about how it may affect maneuverability, go ahead and put some armor on and try it out. Worst case scenario is it does and you don't like it you sell the armor back at 100% cost, no loss.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Libluini posted:

I just found a Federation scientist who wants to travel to Jaques' station first class, together with her staff.

My Anaconda has enough cabin space. If this weren't Beta, I would do this. 20k+ light years? gently caress it, it's for science and 44 million bucks

Man, I hope they leave those special long-range trips in.

Edit:

Before you ask, that wasn't even an Elite-mission, just Pioneer. Which means you could theoretically get even higher payouts.

That's an awful payout for a trip that long. I really don't know why Frontier keeps trying to get people to travel back and forth between Jaques and the bubble nonstop, it's a miserable enough trip without rushing it back and forth constantly.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

That's an awful payout for a trip that long. I really don't know why Frontier keeps trying to get people to travel back and forth between Jaques and the bubble nonstop, it's a miserable enough trip without rushing it back and forth constantly.

Well now that you can force routing to scoopable stars it might be a little less painful.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Appearently theres a new "mission board" called "passenger lounge" in which you pick up people and missions.
There seem to be bulk transports for unwashed masses of refugees and vip missions for politicians and celebrities.
Id guess a type 6 can haul space syrians but not space trumps.

That makes too much sense, it won't sit well with either Frontier or the brown sea.

Think I will be getting a keelback, stuffing a fighter bay on it, fit mine launchers and transport lovely refugees and criminals across dangerous space.

Hope you like a rocky ride guys!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Main Paineframe posted:

It's enough to double the payout for an exploration-trip to Jaques and back. :shrug:

As an explorer, I may be biased though, the idea of helping scientists out is good on its own already, getting payed for it is just an additional bonus.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

oRGy posted:

hopefully all of them, since the current system makes cargo ships (t7/9) completely unviable. i.e. every ship has x cargo compartments, smaller and combat ships having very small ones, you can replace your optional module space with extra cargo space but this would give something like a 50% bonus to cargo space max.

i mean why did :frontear: copy almost all of the ship variables from EVE in the first place only to completely miss the point of why they were set up that way and balanced, argh
In the kickstarter days Braben seemed to want it to be much less prescriptive, more like each ship just has a certain amount of hull space and you can fill your ships with engines/shields/framshift drive/cargo to whatever extent and whatever ratio you want. Which sounded like fun, though I understand why they decided to make it more prescriptive to try and balance things.

CapnBry posted:

No, guys, this is the best patch note:
Sensor zoom level should now be approximately preserved between super cruise and normal space

I'm pretty disappointed at the VR so-called improvements. I guess I was hopeful that they'd say they implemented something so that the performance wouldn't be so lovely in VR. Instead it is "fixed some camera angles" and "added text to some walls you can now see if you look at them" and "added new presets, which are just other presets with one option changed".

EDIT: Oh wait what? You have to pay $10 to try the beta?
VR performance is pretty good. It's definitely one of the best-looking games out there so not surprising it's one of the most demanding.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Some more drama from the world of 2.2: Apparently white dwarfs and neutron stars give a jump boost now.

Frontier wanted the boost to be a meager 25%, but accidentally set it to 250%. Now they're setting it back to the value they wanted and of course people are arguing about this. Explorers of course want a higher boost and assholes want the 25% to stay. A typical day on the :frontear:-forums.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

25% seems a bit low. Not like there's neutron stars and white dwarfs all over the place.

Also fighter combat is surprisingly fun. You can hot swap between the two and your crew will fly your ship for you while you're in the fighter.

E: looks like each "slot" in the hanger has 8 fighters so if you blow up in one you can just spawn another one right away. That means that with 2 slot hangers you can have up to 16 fighters. Piloting is via telepresence so you don't have to worry about crew recovery or whatnot.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 20, 2016

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

25%, for one jump (or anything under 10 tbh) is not worth the hassle of replotting your route with the greater range.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Libluini posted:

Supernovae are incredibly rare. I think most, if not all of the ones we know of happened in other galaxies.

Besides, a supernovae is a gigantic catastrophe and modelling it makes as much sense as modelling normal novae. As in, not at all. Frontier would have to erase/change tons of systems alone for common novae. Either with an algorithm in their star forge, which would be a lot of work for something almost no player will ever see since novae normally don't send messages like "Come and get me, I'll explode in 2 days from now" in advance

or by making those changes by hand, which would be even more ludicrously overkill.

Just to drive home the scale we're speaking of, in the last thousand years there were 3 supernovae in the Milky Way. So if you think Elite will still be played centuries from now, sure having the one supernova happening in that time frame modelled in-game would be neat. To add extra trolling, that star will probably be Betelgeuse right next to us, which will slowly (light speed, remember) gently caress up most of what today is the bubble.

On average we get one supernova in out galaxy every 50 years, on Earth we've been terribly unlucky and haven't seen one in our own galaxy for a long time (SN1987A was in the Magellanic Clouds). They might have been happening but we just can't see them through all the dust and gas in the galaxy.

Furthermore, while they would have a serious effect on their neightbours, planets and stars wouldn't be destroyed, in fact planets orbiting a star that goes supernova are expected to survive the process and either escape into space or in some cases remain orbiting a neutron star or black hole remnant.

Regardless I don't see supernova coming to the game except as maybe a one off event.

However, Nova events are far more common with about 40 per year in our galaxy, but they are a lot less energetic only brightening by 8-12 magnitudes depending on the type.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qWP3KJQZdk

:stare:

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

illectro posted:

On average we get one supernova in out galaxy every 50 years, on Earth we've been terribly unlucky and haven't seen one in our own galaxy for a long time (SN1987A was in the Magellanic Clouds).

Maybe add a 0.001% chance of instantly exploding whenever you jump to a red supergiant star? Oh hey you just jumped right into the shock front of a supernova that no one knew about because light years.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

oRGy posted:

nice patch notes, nerds:

tl;dr so I'm going to assume that everyone is furious over… thing. There's just so much thing there that someone has to be furious over something.

:stare: indeed.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 20, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

tl;dr so I'm going to assume that everyone is furious over… thing. There's just so much thing there that someone has to be furious over something.

:stare: indeed.

The way star boosts work is: You hang around in that ejection cone for about 5 seconds, then you get a little 25% jump range boost. Presumably you also hear your ship tearing apart by the onslaught of heat, but Frontier at least hasn't outright stated that this is damaging. If someone isn't faster, I'll try reaching a white dwarf and test how damaging star boosting is.

If it's just 5 seconds waiting time I could see it being situationally useful, but if it's 5 seconds waiting while the ejection cone slowly burns your ship, :lol: no

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

Nope, its just improvements all over the place.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Nope, its just improvements all over the place.

People are raging about the transfer costs and time - but it seems the current state maybe a bug. Also it seems that passenger mission payout may not be worth the time investment. Oh and the fuel tank for the Beluga is too small.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

fighters don't have fuel, some autist is probably typing a wall of text about immersion breaking

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Lately I have problems submitting to interdictions. I set the throttle to zero, but dont drop out of supercruise and get hit with 45s cooldown. Any idea what might be the problem?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Einbauschrank posted:

Lately I have problems submitting to interdictions. I set the throttle to zero, but dont drop out of supercruise and get hit with 45s cooldown. Any idea what might be the problem?

Don't stop playing the minigame when you try to submit. Sometimes it will just gently caress you though and turn 180.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Patch notes look dope AF!

Super excited about "biological entities" and "mysterious things..."

I hope the jump boost is 250%, other wise it will be like time-delayed transfer: novel but functionally useless. At 250%, you could at least plot a neutron-star-route to different places, but a 25% boost is pretty pointless, especially when the mats to perform a 25% boost are literally everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Libluini posted:

The way star boosts work is: You hang around in that ejection cone for about 5 seconds, then you get a little 25% jump range boost. Presumably you also hear your ship tearing apart by the onslaught of heat, but Frontier at least hasn't outright stated that this is damaging. If someone isn't faster, I'll try reaching a white dwarf and test how damaging star boosting is.

If it's just 5 seconds waiting time I could see it being situationally useful, but if it's 5 seconds waiting while the ejection cone slowly burns your ship, :lol: no

I suppose it depends if you have to stay for 5s before charging your FSD, or if you can charge it, fly into the cone and then instantly jump away once the boost has charged.

Also…

quote:

- It is no longer possible to travel through or end up inside another star if you hypespace into a multi-star system. If an intervening star is detected your hyperspace will be redirected onto that star. This process repeats if the new path is also obstructed. Note that you can still end up dangerously close to other stars and get more than a little cooked
We're going to need a new :frontear: if this keeps happening.

• Locked thread