Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Opening myself up to criticism here, which I'll welcome. What is the problem with Simon using that word? Does it legitimize its use in demeaning black people? Is it making fun of the way they speak?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

unwantedplatypus posted:

Opening myself up to criticism here, which I'll welcome. What is the problem with Simon using that word? Does it legitimize its use in demeaning black people? Is it making fun of the way they speak?

:can:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

unwantedplatypus posted:

:suspense:

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

unwantedplatypus posted:

You don't use racial slurs unless you are a member of the race it is a slur against. Even as a joke. To do otherwise is racist. This isn't complicated.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

unwantedplatypus posted:

As a white guy, he does not get to dictate when it is okay to use a racial slur. No matter how much credibility or connection to black culture he thinks he's built up to the black community because of his shows, he doesn't get a free pass. And now that he has a whole lot of black people saying 'we get the joke, but using a slur to make it isn't okay', his response is telling them he knows better when to use that slur and they just don't get his brilliant political satire.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The difference between

"nigga" :v:

and

"friend of the family" :bahgawd:

might seem like a pretty huge gulf to the person saying it, but to anyone else watching from the sidelines, lacking in context, or (especially) a member of the target group, it's such a slim distinction as to be basically irrelevant.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

The real reason is just don't. There's no justifiable reason that you just MUST use words like that. Just let it go. Don't worry about why the minority are allowed to say it without criticism. Why do you care, just don't say it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Glagha posted:

The real reason is just don't. There's no justifiable reason that you just MUST use words like that. Just let it go. Don't worry about why the minority are allowed to say it without criticism. Why do you care, just don't say it.

because free speech dummy

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

CommonShore posted:

because free speech dummy

Oh poo poo you're right...drat! Totally forgot about free speech. So yeah, I guess say it as much as you want then! Because of free speech, there will not be any repercussions.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Hugh Briss. Hubris. I loled.

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

This got ignored in light of N word chat but this is a pro Fuckin click

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

10 Beers posted:

Hugh Briss. Hubris. I loled.

Nick R. Bocker. Knickerbocker. I loled.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Theo Retical. If 50-70 million young women age 18-25 would be imported from Asia,Africa,S.America,Middle East it would save western civilization.It would greatly increase competition for men and lower female entitlement.Men would come back to serious loving and millions of new children would be born.Women are so super picky now because the lack competition.Men are desperate because they lack choice. Instead they import millons of men increasing competition for same pool of women.They are idiots or they are traitors. I loled.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Glagha posted:

I don't say it. I just want to know why his use is offensive. I'm not saying you shouldn't or can't get offended.

Practical Demon posted:

As a white guy, he does not get to dictate when it is okay to use a racial slur. No matter how much credibility or connection to black culture he thinks he's built up to the black community because of his shows, he doesn't get a free pass. And now that he has a whole lot of black people saying 'we get the joke, but using a slur to make it isn't okay', his response is telling them he knows better when to use that slur and they just don't get his brilliant political satire.

Okay yeah that is pretty lovely. I assume there would be a lot less backlash if he just backed off after being called out.

Small Frozen Thing posted:

You don't use racial slurs unless you are a member of the race it is a slur against. Even as a joke. To do otherwise is racist. This isn't complicated.

I Get It. If somebody is uncomfortable with your use of a charged word, you should stop using it. I'm asking more about the context of why it's bad

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

Public page, I forgot to screenshot the end where he reveals their email to be something like TheOfficialIlluminatiPriests@gmail.com

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Theo Retical. If 50-70 million young women age 18-25 would be imported from Asia,Africa,S.America,Middle East it would save western civilization.It would greatly increase competition for men and lower female entitlement.Men would come back to serious loving and millions of new children would be born.Women are so super picky now because the lack competition.Men are desperate because they lack choice. Instead they import millons of men increasing competition for same pool of women.They are idiots or they are traitors. I loled.
I love how you occasionally personalize these just a teeny bit

e: lmao at these google suggested searches.

unwantedplatypus posted:

I'm asking more about the context of why it's bad
I dunno man, I think everybody already covered that.

LITERALLY A BIRD has a new favorite as of 17:15 on Sep 20, 2016

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Boy, everyone's being an IoSM today.
https://twitter.com/DonaldJTrumpJr/status/778016283342307328

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
In the case of the trumps, is "today" really necessary? :v:

Danyull posted:

Public page, I forgot to screenshot the end where he reveals their email to be something like TheOfficialIlluminatiPriests@gmail.com

Art. The amount of confidence or obliviousness it takes to believe this will work.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I mean it worked for the Romans. :v:

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

In this metaphor I am the United States so, those three refugees will each kill the United States?

Did you know that 3 out of every 100 refugees is a walking unstable nuclear reactor? It's true.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

dijon du jour posted:

In this metaphor I am the United States so, those three refugees will each kill the United States?

Did you know that 3 out of every 100 refugees is a walking unstable nuclear reactor? It's true.

Who knew children from war-torn countries were the key to solving the energy crisis.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Skittles/Wiggley's reply was pretty awesome though.

https://twitter.com/SethAbramovitch/status/778091768793407488/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I know this hardly needs spelling out, but I love how the wording conflates "three specific skittles in the entire bowl are deadly, but most are fine" with "all skittles are so poisonous that eating any three will kill you".

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Apparently someone from WaPo responded with a tongue in cheek article establishing that according to the risk a random american runs of being killed by terrorism, it would be 3 skittle in one and a half Olympic pools filled with skittles.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Oh god, I glossed over the text because I had heard the "three skittles are poisonous" analogy before. As written, it really does sound like it's saying that all these innocent-looking refugees are actually so dangerous that it'll only take a few to destroy America. Amazing.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Are Reese's Pieces still safe?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yes, but three hams will certainly kill him.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That's the US law enforcement problem too, except there is force-feeding involved.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Yes, but three hams will certainly kill him.

That's why you don't feed him... Three hams.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Aramek posted:

Are Reese's Pieces still safe?

who cares. what about peanut butter m&ms

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
IOSM out of nowhere!

Making an anti-SSB protest "real courage" tweet right after the Terrence Crutcher video was released would be bad enough, but from a pro wrestler who was dishonorably discharged from the marines for going AWOL twice?

https://twitter.com/RandyOrton/status/778115361686351872

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Only via cholesterol. They're worth it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I like candy

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Wow! Reese's racist!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Candy racist, so what?

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I care because I don't want my friendly alien buddy dying. Again.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Danyull posted:

Best part is that they're (presumably) using a Nigerian country code for the number. Here's another totally real way to join the Illuminati.

You may laugh at the idea of the Illuminati being based somewhere along the South Carolina coast, but having lived there it makes a certain sense.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I dunno man, I think everybody already covered that.

I feel like people are mincing my words, or otherwise I am. I'm not trying to imply that use of racial epithets is okay, nor am i trying to delegitimize the feelings of others. I'll end this here in the interests of stopping the derail.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

oldpainless posted:

I like candy

more like oldtoothless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Enough with the slurs already.