Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

unwantedplatypus posted:

I feel like people are mincing my words, or otherwise I am. I'm not trying to imply that use of racial epithets is okay, nor am i trying to delegitimize the feelings of others. I'll end this here in the interests of stopping the derail.

The lesson is never try (to understand)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

KiteAuraan posted:

I care because I don't want my friendly alien buddy dying. Again.

just lol if you are not constantly in the EAT CANDY ZONE

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Cut off the top of the image because who cares. 198 likes... Wonder what job this guy has that makes him work 70+ hours straight.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Blind Pineapple posted:

Cut off the top of the image because who cares. 198 likes... Wonder what job this guy has that makes him work 70+ hours straight.

Studies show that this guy is probably not happy, nor is he getting a whole lot of sex these days

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Good God drat it, how about having at least a conversation about preferences and expectations before you marry someone?

Want a wife who has a job? Marry someone who works!

Don't want a kid? Marry someone who doesn't want kids!

Want a husband who helps around home? Don't marry a guy who you met in a poo poo-filled apartment!

Love someone enough that you'll marry them despite not having complimentary lifestyles? Then shut the gently caress up and deal with the gaps yourself!

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015
So this floated past me today.

quote:

Everywhere Everyone Support The Standing Rock Sioux Tribe. Reject The Dakota Access PiPeline <3

Choose Your Color & Style >> http://goo.gl/TbJ9E0 http://goo.gl/TbJ9E0 http://goo.gl/TbJ9E0 http://goo.gl/TbJ9E0
Let Wear This Shirt To Promote Everyone To Protecting Clean Water.
Don't Miss Out.Your Little Act Contributed Greatly In Protecting Clean Water, Please Tag Your Friends And Share Everywhere. Thank You <3
#nodapl #waterislife #dakotaaccesspipeline #StandingRockSiouxTribe

I found the original, there's a Lone Ranger joke here somewhere.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

timp posted:

Studies show that this guy is probably not happy, nor is he getting a whole lot of sex these days

In his defense the only thing you can do after working 70 hours straight is die.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Ok Fella posted:

In his defense the only thing you can do after working 70 hours straight is die.

Not so sure about the math but the logic is solid and once you realize that they are just masking inflation which is the real problem, it becomes a wacky and illogical idea.

Dats not fair and I don't think i'm smart enough or qualified enough to determine which businesses should operate under which set of rules but I do believe in general if a minimum wage is bad for small business it can be no better for big business and we do need both small and big business otherwise the cost of every item you ever buy will be through the roof

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
milk man lol

get out of the 1950s, gramps

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010
That's like, fractally wrong. Where do you even start with that?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Not so sure about the math but the logic is solid and once you realize that they are just masking inflation which is the real problem, it becomes a wacky and illogical idea.

Dats not fair and I don't think i'm smart enough or qualified enough to determine which businesses should operate under which set of rules but I do believe in general if a minimum wage is bad for small business it can be no better for big business and we do need both small and big business otherwise the cost of every item you ever buy will be through the roof

Agreed. Besides also chugging a gallon of milk a day, I recognize that under the law only one person may be involved with making each gallon.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Depending on the industry, labor can be a relatively miniscule portion of cost on goods, and outside of like illicit prostitution it's obviously never 100% of it.

Not that they won't gently caress labor regardless but raising the hamburger man's wage 50% does not mean the total cost to give you a burger goes up 50%.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Xen Tricks posted:

Where do you even start with that?

I tried picking a point to at least write something, but wow. That's either willful ignorance, or kindergarten-level understanding of the issue.

Also I think that we can all agree that the guy should have stopped here:

I don't think i'm smart enough or qualified enough

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Otisburg posted:

Depending on the industry, labor can be a relatively miniscule portion of cost on goods, and outside of like illicit prostitution it's obviously never 100% of it.

Not that they won't gently caress labor regardless but raising the hamburger man's wage 50% does not mean the total cost to give you a burger goes up 50%.

There was a study done, that shows that if minimum wage increases by 10%, cost of food increases by at most 4%, and all other products by 0.4%. It's amazing how many assholes think that increasing minimum wage will destroy the economy and cause hyper-inflation, but I've yet to have found a single case of that ever happening in history.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

gently caress, I closed this tab a while ago and opened up Facebook and there it was. (From someone who's never held a job paying over $15/hr. in their life)

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

quote:

I don't want that raise because then I'll be in a higher tax bracket.

TotalLossBrain has a new favorite as of 02:41 on Sep 21, 2016

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
My favourite spam bots are the ones that refer to you as bONEr

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!

RNG posted:

gently caress, I closed this tab a while ago and opened up Facebook and there it was. (From someone who's never held a job paying over $15/hr. in their life)

He's just doing his civic duty to keep the economy stable.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
What's bizarre is that it's always the people making peanuts that spread this poo poo. I have an old classmate whose wife supports his manchild rear end+3 kids working at Starbucks and posted this.

I probably make 4x as her alone (not to mention my wife makes another 25% more than I make) and we're all in favor of raising the minimum wage.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Throwing Turtles posted:

So this floated past me today.

I found the original, there's a Lone Ranger joke here somewhere.

These people make T-shirts like that for basically everything imaginable and then spam Facebook with targeted ads like that about basically anything related to your interests. I've seen ones for my university, my home country, the country I live in, Breaking Bad, my last name, my football team. The worst thing is I've seen people actually wearing them.

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

Panfilo posted:

What's bizarre is that it's always the people making peanuts that spread this poo poo. I have an old classmate whose wife supports his manchild rear end+3 kids working at Starbucks and posted this.

I probably make 4x as her alone (not to mention my wife makes another 25% more than I make) and we're all in favor of raising the minimum wage.

Honestly the symbol for the GOP needs to be changed to crabs in a bucket, there's really no better metaphor

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

The people against minimum wage increases use the higher cost of living argument as a way to convince the people who would benefit most from the increase to vote against it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Intoluene posted:

The people against minimum wage increases use the higher cost of living argument as a way to convince the people who would benefit most from the increase to vote against it.

But it's the people that would benefit the most from minimum wage increases that are the most :qq: about it!

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

But it's the people that would benefit the most from minimum wage increases that are the most :qq: about it!

Only because of the bullshit that keeps getting fed to them about trickle down economics.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The only thing I can think of is the belief that your job and contribution to society is directly proportional to your wage. If you feel like you have a somewhat "important" job that pays relatively little, but then minimum wage goes up and burger flippers make more than you used to, your own job suddenly feels less special.

I heard about a company where the CEO raised the starting wage of employees to a more reasonable rate and several employees actually quit over this, feeling like their own work wasn't as highly valued :downs:

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Panfilo posted:

This isn't bizarre. It's 100% by design. People who are at the razor's edge of poverty are the ones who are most vulnerable to the fear that if anything changes in the economic system, they're the ones who will get hosed. The weird cultural combination of beliefs in "trickle-down economics" and the idea that people who aren't rich just haven't worked as hard or wanted it as much as people who are, added to this fear, makes it really easy to persuade people that an increased minimum wage would be bad for them, not good for them.

Put it this way: if you're pretty prosperous, your margin of error is pretty wide. If the cost of living goes up, you can probably afford it, even if you might not like it. Someone who's supporting a family of five working at Starbuck probably couldn't. So the people who are arguing that cost of living would go up are threatening your convenience and her survival; it makes a lot of sense that the threat has much more impact on her than on you!

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Panfilo posted:

The only thing I can think of is the belief that your job and contribution to society is directly proportional to your wage. If you feel like you have a somewhat "important" job that pays relatively little, but then minimum wage goes up and burger flippers make more than you used to, your own job suddenly feels less special.

The worst part about this argument is that those people who feel less special will ALSO receive the raise. That's why it's called minimum wage. If the minimum goes up, anyone who makes less then that, gets bumped up to that amount as well. It drives me crazy when i see those pictures of people saying that Mcdonalds workers don't deserve a raise because X job is so much better and makes less than $15 an hour.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Baron Corbyn posted:

These people make T-shirts like that for basically everything imaginable and then spam Facebook with targeted ads like that about basically anything related to your interests. I've seen ones for my university, my home country, the country I live in, Breaking Bad, my last name, my football team. The worst thing is I've seen people actually wearing them.

"It's a [LAST NAME] thing, you wouldn't understand!" and "Just a [HOME STATE] guy/girl living in a [CURRENT STATE] world!" are the worst.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

I love this analogy because it would have been more appropriate to say a few may give you food poisoning. And I'm sure everyone has gotten food poisoning from something they later kept on eating because poo poo HAPPENS. You don't just give up hamburgers because you got sick from it once. That the problem couldn't be the person making the food and not the food itself.

But nooo, dem immigrants takin er lives.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

hissss millennials hisssssssssss

http://heatst.com/culture-wars/beyond-a-joke-why-millennials-are-losing-their-sense-of-humor/

quote:

“How about this for a novelty product? Obama flip flops. Walking metaphors for his positions. On the right sole we put his early statements, like ‘I will accept public financing,’ or ‘Jerusalem will be 100% Israeli…’ Stick in some of the real wild ones like ‘Nafta benefits all Americans…’”

Silence. I had their rapt attention. I was on a roll.

“That’s the flip, get it? Turn up the left sole and you get the flop. ‘Public financing is a way for Republicans to game the system’ or ‘American Jews have an excessive concern for Israeli security’ and maybe something catchy like ‘Nafta Shmafta’. Great party favor. Sell it at speeches, events…We could do a co-promotion with IHop…”

The silence wasn’t rapt, it was stony. Like any bombing comedian I hastened to explain.

“Flip flops? Flipping pancakes? Funny, huh?”

Not!

“Romney flip flops, Dad.”

“So do you.”

“Why is everybody allowed to change their mind, but Obama?”

Drenched in flop sweat, my voice broke like a teenager’s.

“It’s just a joke.”

“But it shows how you really feel.”

Whether they knew it or not they agreed with Freud that jokes are a socially acceptable way of expressing repressed hostility and unpopular opinions. And with Aristotle that a joke is a “a representation of people worse than us, a subdivision of the ugly and shameful.”

After that I was a moth to the flame. Watching the President demonstrate his lefty basketball moves I quipped:

“Wow, he does play like a white guy.”

They rose and stalked out:

“You mean like Larry Bird, Dad?

“Or John Stockton…?”

“Or Bob Cousy, your idol from the ’50’s? When they dribbled two-handed and shot into a peach basket?”

I gave futile chase. “I’m only quoting his brother-in-law…”

“Which you do all the time.”

Can’t blame them. Millennials live in a grim world. Bombs exploding, bullets flying. A world where you can die from a mosquito bite. Or end up the collateral victim of some psycho’s grudge. Where a harmless prank can lead to permanent pariahdom. Or suicide.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Dogfish posted:

This isn't bizarre. It's 100% by design. People who are at the razor's edge of poverty are the ones who are most vulnerable to the fear that if anything changes in the economic system, they're the ones who will get hosed. The weird cultural combination of beliefs in "trickle-down economics" and the idea that people who aren't rich just haven't worked as hard or wanted it as much as people who are, added to this fear, makes it really easy to persuade people that an increased minimum wage would be bad for them, not good for them.

Put it this way: if you're pretty prosperous, your margin of error is pretty wide. If the cost of living goes up, you can probably afford it, even if you might not like it. Someone who's supporting a family of five working at Starbuck probably couldn't. So the people who are arguing that cost of living would go up are threatening your convenience and her survival; it makes a lot of sense that the threat has much more impact on her than on you!
Wow I never thought of it this way! Thank you, I couldn't understand why the people who would benefit the most would be so opposed to it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Elblanco posted:

The worst part about this argument is that those people who feel less special will ALSO receive the raise. That's why it's called minimum wage. If the minimum goes up, anyone who makes less then that, gets bumped up to that amount as well. It drives me crazy when i see those pictures of people saying that Mcdonalds workers don't deserve a raise because X job is so much better and makes less than $15 an hour.

I think this is a big part of some people perpetuating class wars. They'll see certain service jobs and assume these are jobs reserved for the people that didn't have any ambition in life. So the idea that those losers make as much money as they do breaks their brain. Nevermind that they probably have more in common socioeconomically with that McDonald's associate than they'd care to admit.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

One of the big memes is about how EMTs make less than 15.

It's pretty much "impossible" to pay the first responder/soldier type jobs what they are "worth" in society at large's eyes, not that in most cases we shouldn't pay a lot of them more.

It was pretty eye opening when I realized the special tax-free bonus pay a soldier gets for actively facing combat amounts to what I'd rack up picking up like 10 total hours of overtime in my air conditioned cube farm over the course of that same month.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
What really bothers me about it is the attitude and thought process.

"Someone is fighting for more money in their low-paying jobs!"
"I only make x dollars, so they shouldn't do that those lazy assholes!"

instead of, perhaps:
"Hey, maybe I should fight for fairer compensation, too!"

Nope.

And if they don't feel they deserve fairer compensation to fight for, why bitch about somebody else's paycheck?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Otisburg posted:

One of the big memes is about how EMTs make less than 15.

It's pretty much "impossible" to pay the first responder/soldier type jobs what they are "worth" in society at large's eyes, not that in most cases we shouldn't pay a lot of them more.

It was pretty eye opening when I realized the special tax-free bonus pay a soldier gets for actively facing combat amounts to what I'd rack up picking up like 10 total hours of overtime in my air conditioned cube farm over the course of that same month.

I've noticed several people claim that soldiers actually get like $3 an hour because they're on call 24/7.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I guess by their bizarro logic, I'm the IOSM: My job has good pay and benefits, therefore I feel everybody should have a job with similar compensation.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
http://imgur.com/gallery/zAyDu

Category: "Funny"

Facebook friend posted this:

Rain Water sounds like STDH. Raw milk sounds like a good way to get really sick. And of course we should have freedoms to completely destroy a rivers ecosystem for your facebook image album. Because we know you don't fish to feed your family.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Thank god they MSpainted out that boob

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

It's almost like we learned in the past that letting everyone kill whatever they wanted was an actual bad idea.

I've been to unlicensed fishing derbies, where a small town will stock its lovely central lake with hundreds of young trout and then invite people out to fish for fun. People are loving savages, they just catch and catch and catch and just discard the still living fish in the grass as they go for another one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010