Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Slavvy posted:

You clearly aren't familiar with the most freedom-loving, liberty-packed licensing system in existence. I'd be astounded if that person has ever ridden something smaller than 600cc.

You can ride that snark right back to Mordor! :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Renaissance Robot posted:

I used to do it on foot all the time, walking faster than someone drifting across the pavement I'd always try to pass them on the side they were moving towards. There's probably a psychology paper in there somewhere.

Yeah, you're part bird.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I swear that squirrels in the road are playing some kind of daredevil thrill game. You never see a squirrel run across the road off in the distance, but if you see one on the side of the road, you know that it will ALWAYS dart out to where you're about to be, freeze, and dodge back the way it came at the last second before you hit it.

I mean maybe it's an evolutionary anti-predator thing -- freeze, wait until the cat is in mid-pounce and can't change its trajectory, and then leap in another direction when it's just about to hit. But I prefer to believe they're all a bunch of rear end in a top hat thrill-seekers out to build up their Squirrel Cred.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I noticed most animals don't seem to know wtf to make of bikes. In cars they will usually always try to clear the road but whenever I'm on a bike they tend to just sit there and ponder if I'm real or something.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I almost hit a squirrel when getting on the freeway today. I thought the little guy was a piece of garbage and then it started coming into my path so I swerve, into its path. I was shocked I didn't smear it.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Schroeder91 posted:

I almost hit a squirrel when getting on the freeway today. I thought the little guy was a piece of garbage and then it started coming into my path so I swerve, into its path. I was shocked I didn't smear it.

You were correct in your initial assessment

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Why are guys on pedal bikes completely oblivious?

Riding through a crosswalk and basically cutting off an entire intersection - especially the car that was mid turn and had right of way.

Ughhhhh

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Sagebrush posted:

I swear that squirrels in the road are playing some kind of daredevil thrill game. You never see a squirrel run across the road off in the distance, but if you see one on the side of the road, you know that it will ALWAYS dart out to where you're about to be, freeze, and dodge back the way it came at the last second before you hit it.

I mean maybe it's an evolutionary anti-predator thing -- freeze, wait until the cat is in mid-pounce and can't change its trajectory, and then leap in another direction when it's just about to hit. But I prefer to believe they're all a bunch of rear end in a top hat thrill-seekers out to build up their Squirrel Cred.

We call them Suicide Squirrels for exactly that reason. We have rabbits, too, and they're just about as dumb. They tend to stay to the side more often than the squirrels, though.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The deer just lurk in the shadows until it's too late to avoid them. Fuckers.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Deer are the dumbest, most suicide prone animals in existence

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I love going up north in the winter. You're driving along around midnight, come around a turn, and whaddyaknow there's 4 deer just standing in the middle of the road, lick the salt off it or something.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Deer are the dumbest, most suicide prone animals in existence

Yeah, but then:

Renaissance Robot posted:

Also not his bike.

I got myself into a similar situation driving my parents' C1 at the start of the year (foolishly attempting an uphill overtake in the last hundred yards of a disappearing passing lane on the motorway, at night, in the rain. Yeah, I know), after which I started making a concerted effort to eliminate from my brain that dumb reflex that tells you to dart into small spaces that are getting smaller.

I used to do it on foot all the time, walking faster than someone drifting across the pavement I'd always try to pass them on the side they were moving towards. There's probably a psychology paper in there somewhere.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
i know exactly what he's talking about. still amazed i haven't tried to pass someone on the shoulder. IT'S SO loving TEMPTING

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
"If you ride your bike so much how come you put a cover over it?" :smug:

:commissar:

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
Cockatoos, galahs, parakeets/lorikeets and parrots swoop across the tree-lined roads in the rural areas in Australia.

I nailed a 28 during a group ride at about 140km/h on a GPX250. A flock of them swooped across the road before the main pack, and then a couple of stragglers made a dash for it. Unlucky bastard smashed into my fork stanchion/fairing and got thrown back off the road and didn't get back up according to the tail end Charlies.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Whichever engineer designed the TC for the VFR800 needs to be shot. It came on yesterday and it literally shut the throttle when I was trying to overtake. That crap is dangerous!

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Being a modern Honda, it detected that you may be enjoying yourself and took steps to remedy that situation.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Bell "re-released" the Moto 3? What the gently caress is going on?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Sometimes when I ride I get a brief flash of a thought: that I'm forgetting to buckle my seat belt. I know it's senseless.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 29, 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
You're not the only one.

Most days I get the buckled in feeling from flipping down the chin bar on my helmet, but occasionally it doesn't quite take :iiam:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Sep 29, 2016

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Chichevache posted:

Sometimes when I ride I get a brief flash of a thought: that I'm forgetting to buckle my seat belt. I know it's senseless.

I get that feeling when I'm not wearing a backpack while riding. Since my motorcycle is my only form of transport, probably 90-95% of the time I'm riding with a backpack; so it feels weird not to, almost like I'm missing something. Which is funny, because I hate wearing a backpack while riding.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
http://tasteofjoy.scramblerducati.c...ign=NL_20160928 Oh just gently caress completely off Ducati.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

"Download on the Google Play"

What a load of wank.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

It's funny because on the one hand,

But on the other hand you bought a Ducati because of subjective measures that spoke to your soul in a way other bikes did not.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You guys know that Ducati is simply "Italian Harley" at this point, right?

-Will only use V-twins even when it's not advantageous? Check

-Hung on to air cooling for way too long? Check

-Did stupid things like "dry clutch because aesthetics". Check

-Sells an image first and bikes second? Check

-Fan base is blind to any other options? Bases decisions on intangibles like "soul" and "heritage". Check

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 30, 2016

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

-Fan base is blind to any other options? Bases decisions on intangibles like "soul" and "heritage". Check

-Still better than the competition despite all this?
Check. Mate.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Loooooool! Perfect!
Somebody make this twisto's av.

or mine

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I don't see their support truck or any packs on those bikes, so who carries Longhair's ceramic cup? Other Guy brings a trucker's hat with him everywhere he goes so he can hang it on his belt when he reaches his destination?

There are also a bunch of grammar, punctuation, and spelling errors on that page. "EnJoy a moment of Joy". Is this for real?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Finger Prince posted:

-Still better than the competition so uncompetitive that Rossi left them to go back to Yamaha despite all this?
Check. Mate.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
To be fair, it's not a bad idea. Encouraging destination trips to those who might just only go to the same coffee shop. As others have said, aesthetic and percieved lifestyle is a major selling feature for ducatis, and I wouldn't say that the bikes don't deliver on style and character as machines.

Plus, ducati wants that sweet, sweet, hipster money.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The Multi 1200 is a fantastic spaceship of a motorcycle that tingles your nethers in a very, uhh, spicy way. I get it. When I wad up the Buell (which is even more chock full of intangibles :colbert:) it's probably a Hyperstrada or Multi 1000 for me. So Coydog please shut up about your KTM because that siren song is also strong.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'm not disagreeing with any of this, but with the possible exception of owners of Honda NCs and Piaggio MP3s, every single rider bases their bike-buying decisions on intangibles and every single manufacturer does stupid poo poo for aesthetics and sells an image.

In a strange way though Ducati are way more annoying than Harley. Ducati can actually make good bikes - stupid valvegear aside the Scrambler makes a loving amazing city bike, the Monster is the best naked bike on the market (IMO, of course) and I suppose the Hyperstrada has it's points but that style of bike has never done it for me. They could drop all this PREMIUM BRAND bullshit (including the desmo valves) and they could probably sell them for the same price as the Japanese competition.

(Also v-twins are always advantageous unless you're building a race bike in which case I'll grudgingly cede a V4 is a better idea :colbert:)

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Coydog posted:

To be fair, it's not a bad idea. Encouraging destination trips to those who might just only go to the same coffee shop. As others have said, aesthetic and percieved lifestyle is a major selling feature for ducatis, and I wouldn't say that the bikes don't deliver on style and character as machines.

Plus, ducati wants that sweet, sweet, hipster money.

I too want sweet, sweet hipster money.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Mods, change Twisto's name to Douchecati. Ty.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

I will accept this if you change everyone else's to "Rider of INFERIOR MACHINERY". I mean that's how I read all of your names and posts anyway.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also v-twins are always advantageous unless you're building a race bike in which case I'll grudgingly cede a V4 is a better idea
Put this in the OP.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
ducats are good and nice

please do not disparage their good name just because you ride japcrap

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Chichevache posted:

Minage a cati

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Razzled posted:

ducats are good and nice

Dukats, on the other hand...