Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Agents are GO! posted:

:sigh: Why does there always have to be some motherfucker chiming in with this?

The point is not that having stuff in Program Files will mess up your game, its that having stuff in Program Files can mess up your game, and it's almost impossible to troubleshoot because of the varied and subtle problems it can cause, and that it's a bigger pain in the rear end to fix the more things you have installed.

Well, I'm near the start of a fresh game anyways. So Might as well overhaul my Mod Organizer install situation then (I have Steam installed outside of program files, at least). And also finally grab crash fixes because why the gently caress didn't I get that :downs:

While I'm ignorantly hammering away to slowly bring my mods setup incrementally closer to "Done right" instead of "Close enough", should I just grab the STEP Mod while I'm at it? Or leave it alone if I'm already this much of a fuckup with basic things like "I should have installed the mod organized inside of the Skyrim folder", making me question my ability to follow listed instructions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I dislike STEP, but it's a decent enough guide. Cutting and pasting your MO folder to a location outside program files is sufficient - I've done it. The annoying bit is fixing your shortcuts.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
What do you dislike about STEP? I'm not here to defend my sempai's honor or anything, just curious.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Im impatient and every guide Ive looked at there I found it nearly impossible to find the point. TLDR basically.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

That should work.

Don't. :smug:

So the New Vegas modding thread has:
in the OP. (NVAC does basically the same things as Crash Fixes.)
Can we get something similar in the OP saying "USE CRASH FIXES"!

How's this

I couldn't figure out how to put fire on the text so instead I just put the text on fire.

e: faster version:

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 20, 2016

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Agents are GO! posted:

Im impatient and every guide Ive looked at there I found it nearly impossible to find the point. TLDR basically.

You...want a tl;dr for modding? :psyduck:

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I tried the STEP: Skyrim Revisited Legendary Edition guide once and found it really annoying to deal with.

It gives you exact instructions on how to install the various mods and what options to pick, but doesn't tell you why you're supposed to pick those options. This is especially egregious whenever the guide tells you not to install a mod's bundled compatibility patches, even when those compatibility patches are for other mods the guide wants you to install.

Turns out the reason for most of that is because the guide wants you to make your own compatibility patch manually, from scratch. :psyduck:

I did it once last year.

Those were the two most mind-numbing hours of modding I've ever gone through.

gently caress SRLE.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

ThaumPenguin posted:

I tried the STEP: Skyrim Revisited Legendary Edition guide once and found it really annoying to deal with.

It gives you exact instructions on how to install the various mods and what options to pick, but doesn't tell you why you're supposed to pick those options. This is especially egregious whenever the guide tells you not to install a mod's bundled compatibility patches, even when those compatibility patches are for other mods the guide wants you to install.

Turns out the reason for most of that is because the guide wants you to make your own compatibility patch manually, from scratch. :psyduck:

I did it once last year.

Those were the two most mind-numbing hours of modding I've ever gone through.

gently caress SRLE.

Or, you could just download the premade conflict resolution file that they provide for you on that page you linked. There's a similar one for SRLE:E, and SRLE:LOTD. You don't have to make it from scratch.

I ended up making my own from scratch because I deviated from their mod list, and found their conflict resolution patch instructions were really helpful in resolving other conflicts in general.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Thinking back in it, I'm fairly sure I deviated from it as well, which is why I went with making a manual one.

I think most of my frustrations with SRLE comes down to a lack of explanation, which extends to making the manual patch.

Like I realize doing stuff manually is the best way to avoid glitches, but SRLE never really deliberated on the logic behind how it chose what mods to prioritize for the various entries in the patch, so I didn't feel like I actually learnt anything from what I was doing.

I just found the guide very frustrating for how often it just explained the what and how, but never the why.

Of course all that might have changed since then, or I might just be misremembering.

e: Might be worth mentioning I was going through a period of occasional depression at the time I tried the guide out, which probably didn't help any.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 20, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The reason I expect I'll stay away from the STEP Mod (while still checking that site for info in general), is because while my list of mods may be growing, it's also on my terms and low on "Please also install this other thing/learn to do anything more complicated than move files and smash plugin sort button".

While using STEP seems to be a large case of screwing around with files, other mods, etc. And while I trust the end results are likely very nice, it's also asking for losing track of what the hell I might have hosed up where.

Compared to basics on my own terms like "Oh, okay, this time I remembered to move the SKSE folder inside the SPERG mod ahead of time and now the SPERG uncapper settings work right out the gate. Not just throwing the sperg uncapper ini into as many likely looking places as possible and overwriting the uncappers default files in the process".

Which is the kind of thing for why I just did a clean slate for MO and Skyrim (Though I did save the MO's downloads folder). Honestly redownloading skyrim took longer than setting things back up, and adding in the Crash fix/Bug fix/SKSE plugin preloader while I was at it.

ThaumPenguin posted:

e: Might be worth mentioning I was going through a period of occasional depression at the time I tried the guide out, which probably didn't help any.

Being confused by file structures and blindly following "Please do A B, and C things while installing X, Y, and Z things when you have no idea what those are or do" can already be frustrating in the first place, from a "Why does my brain shut off when it comes to modding?" standpoint. Having depression concerns already at the time, probably would not do one any favors.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 20, 2016

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

ThaumPenguin posted:

Turns out the reason for most of that is because the guide wants you to make your own compatibility patch manually, from scratch
Looking over it, most of that are stuff like mods not incorporating fixes from USLEEP. That's not a bad thing to include in a guide.
Personally I would have gone a step further and removed poo poo like LOOT and WryeBash and explained how to do that yourself. But that's my beef with those tools talking.

ThaumPenguin posted:

I just found the guide very frustrating for how often it just explained the what and how, but never the why.
A lot of step guides seem to be bad at that.
The guide you linked also includes some dumb things. For example they recommend increasing fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS. For those who don't know what that .ini papyrus setting does: It controls how much time the game spends waiting on the loading screen after it has finished loading the cell. During this time scripts can do their thing and affect the cell. For example during the Civil War quest a script might want to spawn a catapult outside a city. Doing that stuff behind a loading screen prevents the player from seeing that catapult poof into existence out of thin air.
The guide naturally doesn't explain why that setting needed to be increased. If a mod's scripts need more time for a whole bunch of cells it's possible that mod is poorly coded and shouldn't be used, or at least not combined with other script-intensive mods. And if the author experienced issues on his hardware setup, that doesn't all hardware setups are equally affected.
So basically it's quite possible that guide just added a pointless 1.5 seconds of loading time to a lot of people's games.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

:sigh: Why does there always have to be some motherfucker chiming in with this?

The point is not that having stuff in Program Files will mess up your game, its that having stuff in Program Files can mess up your game, and it's almost impossible to troubleshoot because of the varied and subtle problems it can cause, and that it's a bigger pain in the rear end to fix the more things you have installed.

Would this apply to any folder called Program Files, or things like E:/Program Files, or only to C:/Program Files? I am guessing only the latest applies, but since I am busing nuking my old Skyrim installl, I'd find out if there was more of a problem than I thought. ( It's currently in E:/Program Files, btw )

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good lightweight ENB? Natural Lighting and Atmospherics dropped my fps to 19 and it's 'lightweight" alternative dropped it to 23.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Twincityhacker posted:

Would this apply to any folder called Program Files, or things like E:/Program Files, or only to C:/Program Files? I am guessing only the latest applies, but since I am busing nuking my old Skyrim installl, I'd find out if there was more of a problem than I thought. ( It's currently in E:/Program Files, btw )

It would apply to any folders Windows sets up as a location for program data (so by default C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86)) when it installs because it sets ownership of those folders to a system account as a security measure. I think.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Personally as a STEP user i usually make a faithful STEP: Extended download in MO and have that as an MO profile. Then when i want to mod a new game i can just copy the profile and add/remove mods as i please. As for removing that is as long as they are not needed for the big STEP: Extended patch. However most modders dont want to go through all of that just to have fun with modding so i recommend them to follow it to 2E since that is enough to make them understand the process, have fun downloading mods and finding new ways to make their Skyrim crash before downloading 200 mods (100 of them being redundant to most people).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02rq4HCZ25Q

Have fun guys!

Midig fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 21, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Yeah I'm a fan of STEP as a resource but the actual mod list gets a little bit much for me past the "here's some basic improvements" phase. Up to that point it is a really good guide for getting started in modding.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
The main issue I have with the STEP guide is like "Here's how to start modding: THE GAME LOOKS LIKE GARBAGE SO LET'S CHANGE EVERYTHING. IGNORE OVERHAULS THE GRAPHICS IS GAMEPLAY"

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

IAmTheRad posted:

The main issue I have with the STEP guide is like "Here's how to start modding: THE GAME LOOKS LIKE GARBAGE SO LET'S CHANGE EVERYTHING. IGNORE OVERHAULS THE GRAPHICS IS GAMEPLAY"

God forbid you have Windows 10, making that whole section worthless.

No, I'm not bitter that Skyrim SE will be 64-bit but my precious New Vegas never will be, shut up.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Not entirely worthless, ENBoost's optimizations can still net you a precious few FPS.

No, I'm not bitter that Skyrim SE will be 64-bit but my precious New Vegas never will be, shut up.

:smith::respek::smith:

I've begun to understand how hardcore Morrowind fans feel about Oblivion and Skyrim.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Maybe there'll be an OpenFonv in the same way there's an OpenMW? It could even use OpenMW as a starting point, since the FO3/FONV engine is based on the Oblivion engine which is based on the Morrowind engine. So now that OpenMW is very close to feature-completeness, we could imagine people forking it off to make an OpenOB and then people forking that off to make OpenFO3, paralleling the development of the proprietary engine.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The two biggest roadblocks I see to that are the lack of open source implementations of both Speedtree and Radiant AI. The latter is extremely important to nail near 1:1 because it barely works as it is and it's the sort of thing where small differences in implementation could cascade into a bunch of weird, aberrant hard to debug behaviours.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Like Radiant AI is ever used in New Vegas...

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

IAmTheRad posted:

Yep, that's sorta what I meant, they go really loving overboard about how it "doesn't look like a real PC game." On the other hand, I kinda like that they don't recommend any big deal overhauls because those are a lot more subjective than some of the fixes/improvements. Up to that point it provides a good baseline from which to make your own choices about how to change the gameplay.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Bholder posted:

It's used enough that you couldn't just slot in a "close enough" replacement without breaking scripts.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Bholder posted:

Radiant AI is Bethesda's buzzword term for the system that controls the behaviour & schedules of NPCs and creatures and which they introduced with Oblivion. So yeah, it's used in New Vegas.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

It is, but I'm actually surprised by how little they use it even compared to Oblivion. It's like in Fallout 3 they realized how buggy it is, so they seriously cut back until skyrim.

Go to the UESP and look at random NPC schedules, NPCs have whole weeks planned out "Spends tuesday at the pub, sunday at church, makes a monthly trip to see mother."

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Based on their story about how during Oblivion's development they'd get civil wars started by an NPC's desire to spend a few hours raking but another NPC had already grabbed the rake, I figure minimizing the RAI packages for Fallout NPCs was in large part to avoid having to tune and retune and finetune NPC behavior constantly. And in New Vegas, since it was developed by other people, they probably didn't want to bother too much learning how RAI worked so they used it as little as possible.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Based on their story about how during Oblivion's development they'd get civil wars started by an NPC's desire to spend a few hours raking but another NPC had already grabbed the rake
remember when they came up with loads of insane complex clearly made-up stories about what RAI could do then said after launch "oh yeah, it was just too good so we had to make it worse" to excuse it actually being poo poo

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I think the complex stories were what they wanted RAI to actually do, and the complete clusterfucks nobody would want to have happen to a serious playthrough is what they actually got, so I'll totally buy that they had to nerf RAI to be less of a game-breaker. Can't be fun to have the questgivers all murdered by other NPCs because an entire village decided to annihilate itself over a broomstick dispute.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Hilariously, I'm pretty sure one of the crazy mods in the OP, that was a guy's master's thesis in game design or something on video game character AI, manages to do what RAI was supposed to do.

eta: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/77792/

quote:

In short: NPCs in the mentioned locations use social interactions (quests) such as flirting, complimenting, insulting, embarrassing (etc) to interact with each other.
They try pursue romantic partners and insult those who they feel disgusted by. They try to make friends and introduce themselves to those that do not know them.
The best part is that YOU can insult them too! Or flirt with them, or ask them to marry you, you choose!

Manipulate them, destroy their relationships or help them build one, or just wait and see what the end result will be without interfering.

As it was previously mentioned, these NPCs determine what relations they want with others keeping in mind their race, sex, sexual orientation and attractiveness. Afterwards try to reach their goal, this goal might be marriage, dating, being allies or becoming enemies.

NPCs can perform up to 10 different social actions to reach their goals such as flirting, complimenting, offering gifts, insulting, etc....

Each social action is a quest that is launched by each NPC in order to reach their goal.

The Player may also perform most of those interactions

This mod also allows you to build your "drama" stories either by playing the mod or by editing it using the Creation Kit

lol

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 21, 2016

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

While ES isn't the best fit for it, I'm very much into the idea of a game with complete and real-time societal collapse without intervention by the player.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I feel it's time that they gave proper life simulation AI another go. Skyrim and Fallout 4 didn't really show much of an improvement over Oblivion and it would be nice to see what they could do with the extra RAM and CPU (GPU?) cores that we have in modern machines.

The only technical improvements that Fallout 4 had over Skyrim were graphics, unless I missed something.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
Looks like someone uploaded a version 2 of Realistic Needs and Diseases.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

FutonForensic posted:

While ES isn't the best fit for it, I'm very much into the idea of a game with complete and real-time societal collapse without intervention by the player.

I think this is one of Toady's goals with Dwarf Fortress what with the "Living World" update and the fact that "Age of Emptiness" and "Age of Death" are things that technically exist in the vanilla game.

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

To follow up on my earlier post about an incompatibility between JK's Windhelm and USLEEP v3.05 and above, a hotfix has since been released by the co-author of JK's Skyrim. It only replaces a single mesh, but seems to work well enough.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Took at look at SkyUI since the paid mods debacle, and wow, they actually did some work with the crafting menus.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Scyantific posted:

Took at look at SkyUI since the paid mods debacle, and wow, they actually did some work with the crafting menus.

I have some pals who never played Skyrim who were just :confused: when I was trying to describe adding an actual UI to the game Vs how little screen real estate is used normally the other night.

So I just I linked the first "Before-After" comparison image for SkyUI. They got the idea real fast, then.

I always forget how much it actually does, because of how much of SkyUI just seems to be basic video games common sense.

EDIT: Which is extra funny to me in hindsight, because usually thinking of the term "Immersive interface" means someone just deleted the HUD and called it a day :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 22, 2016

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

bloodclot posted:

To follow up on my earlier post about an incompatibility between JK's Windhelm and USLEEP v3.05 and above, a hotfix has since been released by the co-author of JK's Skyrim. It only replaces a single mesh, but seems to work well enough.

Thanks for the follow up posts about this. :)

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

Transmogrifier posted:

Thanks for the follow up posts about this. :)
You should thank the people who provided the fix! I'm just the messenger. I figured that both mods are popular and well-regarded enough that a lot of people are probably affected by this conflict without even realising it. USLEEP is probably the last place most people would look into when trying to sort out a crash, and JK's Skyrim has held a permanent place in many load orders for some time now.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Psion posted:

eye-murder DOF can be useful if your intent is to post a neato screenshot that gets lots of thumbs-up on Nexus, or more specifically to focus your attention on whatever's in the foreground which is usually a waifu. The key thing to remember is you can also toggle it off. I really doubt the majority of the DOF-death screens you see are what people play with. It takes like five seconds to toggle it on for a screenshot and then off again.

think of it this way: it's a lot easier to just blur the gently caress out of the background than to try and find UHD 8K woodgrain textures like the guy who posted above me. :v:

e: ok I'm sure some people play with it on but they're dumb

DoF can be really neat to hide the ugly of Skyrim LODs. However i tried DoF of NVLA and i really dislike the overly strong blur on some ENB presets. I want to see if i can find a good standalone DoF that doesnt suck or i might see if i can tweak its settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Midig posted:

DoF can be really neat to hide the ugly of Skyrim LODs. However i tried DoF of NVLA and i really dislike the overly strong blur on some ENB presets. I want to see if i can find a good standalone DoF that doesnt suck or i might see if i can tweak its settings.

Dynavision.