Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

dreesemonkey posted:

Thanks for this, it looks really cool. Talking with my wife about it, it wouldn't make sense though as he would probably want to drive something in the yard with me.

Might be something I have on my wishlist, though :)

I'm in the same boat (except ours will be 7) and I am pretty much set on a rustler or slash 2wd. The basic xl5 one on a nimh in practice mode with real safe gearing. Should be "slow" enough and in my case if she brakes something I have a lot of spare for these and experience with them so it's alleviated some.

Our plan is that she can follow me where ever I go with my rustler. I can go hella fasst but that's not a concern as long as she can just follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I would check out the HPI Q32, fully proportional and pretty awesome https://hpiracing.world/search?q=Q32

I might have to pick this one up for myself. Too bad my nephew is still a tad too young for this sort of thing, though.

Otherwise, onto more of me dicking around in Mini 4WD and being rather terrible about it.

This picture is a few days old, but gives a good idea of the state things are in. I went to the store/track last Saturday, and went again today (yeah, Moon Festival holiday, four day weekend!) I have not modified the Nissan. It probably won't be modified. Though it did a good job on Saturday of keeping a preschooler entertained who was otherwise bored out of his mind. It's kind of cute and fun how it just troddles along, but too slow to really do much else with it. However, for the two cars I am modifying, this week is an experiment in sliding dampers! Previously, I posted this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilvVc-KyDvQ

If you watch closely, you'll see that the front bumper actually moves around. This is a sliding damper. It uses a spring to give something of a suspension to the side rollers. With the Silwolf MA chassis I decided to throw on Tamiya's official sliding damper kit as well as a set of aluminum rollers:

The sliding damper kit is actually pretty beefy, much moreso than I thought it would be, considering the idea of trying to build everything lightweight and low to the ground. It installed pretty easily, but then the actual body of the car wouldn't fit back into place. A part to keep for a future MA project, I suppose. Otherwise, I still replaced the rollers, and here's what the car looks like now:

Ran fine on today's technical course. The motor is slower than the one in my polar bear car, but I'm happy with that as I only need one headache while I'm trying to figure this stuff out. Today's course:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWvmnKIVYJE

Now onto the bear-car. I bought some proper ball-bearings for the axles. Unfortunately, they stick out a bit and the wheels literally fell off first time I ran them last week. I bought some hollow shafts and also threw on some sliding dampers. The car still didn't do well, and kept flying off at that first set of corners you see in the above video, and a few times it turned around, went the wrong way, flew off the track and then I had to chase it all over the basement and almost into another store. I figured it was an issue with the rear rollers, because it kept sliding out tail first. I put tighter springs in, removed the rear damper altogether, replaced the old roller set up. The only thing that seemed to work was letting the car use just enough battery to start going a little slower through the course.

Turns out the answer was the front, not the rear. Talked to the owner and some of the pro-level guys and they told me I needed some super aggressive angle on the front rollers to help pull the car back down when it's riding the walls. Dat lean:

So now I'm back to sliding dampers both front and back and a car that'll handle a technical track without having to downgrade the motor. There's one or two more things I want to try (lighter side dampers, rear "hammer style" damper), but I think this car is at it's limit as to what I can do without taking a Dremmel and cutting. I'm debating either just buying a spare chassis to slap under the bear car, using my unbuilt MA Chassis Raikiri, or buying another car altogether. I want to try a full Japan-style set up, though eventually that means ditching the kit bodies and going with a polycarbonate shell. For now, I've got at least a Dremmel set on my Christmas wish list.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Iznogood posted:

I'm in the same boat (except ours will be 7) and I am pretty much set on a rustler or slash 2wd. The basic xl5 one on a nimh in practice mode with real safe gearing. Should be "slow" enough and in my case if she brakes something I have a lot of spare for these and experience with them so it's alleviated some.

Our plan is that she can follow me where ever I go with my rustler. I can go hella fasst but that's not a concern as long as she can just follow.

I think that's probably a good plan for a 7 year old. I'm unwilling to shell out that kind of cash right now (even a used slash is probably going to be $100 at least) for a 5 year old, but it's definitely and option for the future. Honestly I didn't even know I could do training mode, I thought I needed the link system or whatever for my stampede. 50% throttle is still going to be too fast for him, though haha...

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

dreesemonkey posted:

I think that's probably a good plan for a 7 year old. I'm unwilling to shell out that kind of cash right now (even a used slash is probably going to be $100 at least) for a 5 year old, but it's definitely and option for the future. Honestly I didn't even know I could do training mode, I thought I needed the link system or whatever for my stampede. 50% throttle is still going to be too fast for him, though haha...

Yeah the difference between 5 and 7 is massive. I fully expect her to still break the drat thing but hey I average 10 minutes before I gently caress up something on one of my rcs. So not going to throw any rocks here.

^^those little guys fascinate me.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

YF19pilot posted:

I might have to pick this one up for myself. Too bad my nephew is still a tad too young for this sort of thing, though.

you'd be surprised. My then 3 year old daughter claimed the "baby Go-Go" for her own and has done well with it. Bonus points that all parts can be replaced
https://www.instagram.com/p/9Rd0n3v5ur/?taken-by=ddmracing&hl=en

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

you'd be surprised. My then 3 year old daughter claimed the "baby Go-Go" for her own and has done well with it. Bonus points that all parts can be replaced
https://www.instagram.com/p/9Rd0n3v5ur/?taken-by=ddmracing&hl=en

In that case I might pass this along to my brother then. He's been wanting a toy like this for my nephew, so it just might be the thing he's looking for.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

YF19pilot posted:

In that case I might pass this along to my brother then. He's been wanting a toy like this for my nephew, so it just might be the thing he's looking for.

Keep in mind that, at least in the case of my losi micro rally x, they are very fragile. And a kid if he decides to pull hard on a wheel or what have you will gently caress it up. As far as breaking it while using it's not so much a problem especially if you are in a controlled environment.

edit: Girlfriend fell in love with drones after seeing one fly and a friend can sell me his parrot ar 2.0 in very good shape in the original box everything for 150 CAN$. Seems pretty good before we decide to invest in a phantom or some other top of the line drone.

He'd possibly also throw in a new in box traxxas slash 2wd for my gf's daughter for another 150$.

edit2: Oh well he really wanted 200 CAN$ for the slash so I caved in. That's the same guy that keeps giving me great deals and it's a new in box slash so 200$ is just great too. The kid gets to unwrap a real gift not some used beatup car and we get to pay 200 instead of 300 + tax. Now to buy a clear body and paint it girly girl pink.

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 18, 2016

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

I think I have a problem! A rc aquisition disorder! Just got back from buying the slash and drone. The guy also had a revo 3.3 in greta shape, full of rpm upgrades and with a new in box 3.3 engine with ezstart. 2 bodies brand new tires. 200$CAN. Juste could not resist ha ha.

In 3 months from no rcs to a collection ha ha.

The parrot ar 2.0 is a lot of fun. The camera is poo poo but otherwise it flies very well I am impresssed by the autopilot in this wow. Just need to get a gopro and I'll be in golden.

edit: I cannot post images to imgur anymore. Any browsers. God damnit.

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 18, 2016

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Long time listener, first time poster ( in this thread, anyways).

I used to semi-pro carpet race (just local level tournies') when I lived in Europe back in the late 90's/early 2000's. I have a HPI RS4 Pro 3. It's sitting around collecting dust and I want to bring it back from hibernation.

Problem is that all my radio gear is the old euro 50Mhz stuff and as far as I understand it, in North America, that is a big no no.

What are my options as far as new radio gear goes?

Would it be cheaper for me to buy a RTR kit (like a Micro RS4) and then pick up a second receiver? Or buy a radio and receiver locally/online?

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 20, 2016

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

50MHz is probably a full-on no-no in the land of the FCC, and on top of that there's no reason to dick around with anything other than 2.4GHz these days.

I was a Futaba snob growing up but these days I'm a huge fan of the GT3B, in part thanks to the $8 receivers and in part to the fact that a few cheap mods make that $35 radio feel a hell of a lot nicer. It's not perfect (I need to clean out or look at replacing the rotary switch on mine) but you won't do better at that price, and you'd need to spend probably at least 3-4x more to do significantly better at all.

I threw together an effortpost back here about it. To do it right, you'll need the GT3B, a bearing, your tool of choice to ream the hole for the bearing, and some sort of STM programmer so you can flash the community firmware onto it. Looking back at that post, I hadn't done the bearing yet, but I have since, and it is absolutely a must-have. I used one of these and a body reamer to get the hole just right.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 20, 2016

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

I would suggest the GT3C is a better option since there's no need to do the bearing mod and it comes with a Lipo battery and built in charging. It can still be flashed with the same custom firmware using the same type of programmer. Early versions had an issue with the wires from the power button wearing and breaking but that doesn't seem to be a problem with more recent units.

It might not be quite as cheap but still incredible value. Last time I looked there were also sources for units with the custom firmware already installed if you're not confident with doing something like that yourself. Still the same problem with cheap switches and rotaries though. I need to do the same thing with the rotary on mine.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I'm hoping the rain holds off so I can race my new Tamiya Mini tonight :ohdear:

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

IOwnCalculus posted:

50MHz is probably a full-on no-no in the land of the FCC, and on top of that there's no reason to dick around with anything other than 2.4GHz these days.

I was a Futaba snob growing up but these days I'm a huge fan of the GT3B, in part thanks to the $8 receivers and in part to the fact that a few cheap mods make that $35 radio feel a hell of a lot nicer. It's not perfect (I need to clean out or look at replacing the rotary switch on mine) but you won't do better at that price, and you'd need to spend probably at least 3-4x more to do significantly better at all.

I threw together an effortpost back here about it. To do it right, you'll need the GT3B, a bearing, your tool of choice to ream the hole for the bearing, and some sort of STM programmer so you can flash the community firmware onto it. Looking back at that post, I hadn't done the bearing yet, but I have since, and it is absolutely a must-have. I used one of these and a body reamer to get the hole just right.

Well no one answered me about the controller for my ten-t but hey that looks like what I need! The revo too needs a transmiter and on amazon the radio is 55$ and transsmitters 10$. That's really nice value for me.

So thanks!

Also almost done painting the slash body for my gf's daughter. Pink and green it's adorable.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Anyone try VRC Pro?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/335070/

Also, is there any recommendations for USB RC controller?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

slidebite posted:

Anyone try VRC Pro?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/335070/

Also, is there any recommendations for USB RC controller?

If you are ok with a console type controller and just want maximum flexibility and customization, the Steam Controller is actually pretty good. I've been using one for various games for a few months now so can answer (most) questions you may have about it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I actually was hoping for something with a side orientated directional wheel and a finger trigger for acceleration like typical RC car controller.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.bigsquidrc.com/vrc-pro-now-free-to-play/

VRC Pro has a free version on their site, and they also sell a transmitter>USB adapter.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

You Am I posted:

I'm hoping the rain holds off so I can race my new Tamiya Mini tonight :ohdear:

It rained

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

You Am I posted:

It rained

:v:

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Look at this adorable truck I built

Album

Needs to have the driver painted and installed and the accessories strapped to the bed. Then I'll be ready for this weekend's G6.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
That does look really nice.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Looks loving awesome - well done. Love the colour.

TF2?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Thank you. It's a clone of http://www.carpictures.com/1982-toyota-hilux

And yes, it is indeed a TF2. An awesome little kit with terrible build instructions. I also wish they had a 'configure your own' option on RC4WD's website so I didn't have to waste money on the useless factory shocks and driveshafts.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

kuffs posted:

Look at this adorable truck I built

Great job! Scale (if that's what this is) is something I want to get into next. As much as I love driving my rcs I always envy the ones that look like real cars.
This winter a tamiya kit will get built here for sure. Or something like that anyways.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

kuffs posted:

Thank you. It's a clone of http://www.carpictures.com/1982-toyota-hilux

And yes, it is indeed a TF2. An awesome little kit with terrible build instructions. I also wish they had a 'configure your own' option on RC4WD's website so I didn't have to waste money on the useless factory shocks and driveshafts.

Great job on it. I dont' have the patience for that kind of quality paint work :( Love looking at them, though!

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Holy poo poo I can post pics on imgur again!

So here's the slash 2wd xl5 we got my gf's daughter for her 7th in nov. Giving it to her tonight since I am way to excited to wait and well here in nov it's dark at 5 and cold. Did the body myself. First time with masking tape inside a body took a long time. But I am pretty happy. Lots of errors but she is going to flip out.

My new revo that I am, hopefully, 2 days from finally running still need to find a adapter to charge the loving battery in there since I do not have the little traxxas charger but a imax one.

Scale comparison with my rustler. Hard to imagine they are both 1/10ths.

And finally the vintage Losi my friend asked me to fix.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Iznogood posted:

Great job! Scale (if that's what this is) is something I want to get into next. As much as I love driving my rcs I always envy the ones that look like real cars.
This winter a tamiya kit will get built here for sure. Or something like that anyways.

Yeah, it's a scale crawler. A G6 event is like a very long trials course where you're only allowed to do recovery with yours or a competitor's vehicles and tools. The one I'm running in gives a boatload of bonus time for scale elements.

Scale crawling is honestly awesome as hell. The crawling world is just swarming with parts swapping, custom mods, and kitbashing. The level of customization is just so far from painting lexan and putting rims on your car. One of the nice things about scale crawling as opposed to making a scale sports car or something of that sort. Is that scale crawlers don't need to move very fast. You don't have to worry too much about tearing up all of your work when you go to play with it.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

kuffs posted:

Yeah, it's a scale crawler. A G6 event is like a very long trials course where you're only allowed to do recovery with yours or a competitor's vehicles and tools. The one I'm running in gives a boatload of bonus time for scale elements.

Scale crawling is honestly awesome as hell. The crawling world is just swarming with parts swapping, custom mods, and kitbashing. The level of customization is just so far from painting lexan and putting rims on your car. One of the nice things about scale crawling as opposed to making a scale sports car or something of that sort. Is that scale crawlers don't need to move very fast. You don't have to worry too much about tearing up all of your work when you go to play with it.

I really ought to finish up my R1.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I am churning on some ideas for turning something like this http://store.rc4wd.com/RC4WD-Beast-II-6x6-Truck-Kit_p_4545.html into an extreme recovery vehicle with a hydraulic crane or something.

ninja edit: Or I may do another scale crawler with a 4-link setup. I elected to stick with leafs on this one because I think it looks exceptionally realistic. But 4 link / 3 link setups are far more flexible.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

kuffs posted:

I am churning on some ideas for turning something like this http://store.rc4wd.com/RC4WD-Beast-II-6x6-Truck-Kit_p_4545.html into an extreme recovery vehicle with a hydraulic crane or something.

ninja edit: Or I may do another scale crawler with a 4-link setup. I elected to stick with leafs on this one because I think it looks exceptionally realistic. But 4 link / 3 link setups are far more flexible.

I've had a Beast on my "want" list for ages. Or I might find an older SCX10 and convert it to 6x6 - lots of kits for that. The hydraulic crane idea is cool, though. Lots of ways you could do it. I want to throw a front/rear winch setup and 50T motors plus lots of weight so I have the "extreme" recovery options.

Goddamnit now I want to get out and run some scale trails - didn't do enough this summer :(

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Siochain posted:

I've had a Beast on my "want" list for ages. Or I might find an older SCX10 and convert it to 6x6 - lots of kits for that. The hydraulic crane idea is cool, though. Lots of ways you could do it. I want to throw a front/rear winch setup and 50T motors plus lots of weight so I have the "extreme" recovery options.

Goddamnit now I want to get out and run some scale trails - didn't do enough this summer :(

busted SCX10s are dirt cheap, buy several!

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
RC4WD sells the hydraulic starter kits that are the same equipment from their excavator and bulldozer. $300 gets you the tank, pump, motor for the pump, and the speed controller for it. http://store.rc4wd.com/114-Tank-wPump-Motor-and-ESC-Set-for-Hydraulic-Control_p_4896.html They also stock a bunch of valves and whatnot. I bet I could probably just rip off the arm from the excavator and call it good.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Ozmiander posted:

busted SCX10s are dirt cheap, buy several!

Not up here they aren't :(

I'm also cheap to, so :P

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

kuffs posted:

Yeah I've watched a fair bit of youtube videos on crawlers, competitions and all that. A crawler should be my next purchase if no crasy deal comes my way. Order of "rc dreams":
crawler
tamiya kit
air brush
Baja 1/5!!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

This thing is awesome but it really should be the toyota truck from back to the future.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
The body is the wrong year, and the BTTF truck had an extended cab. Pro-line actually makes the correct lexan body for it https://www.prolineracing.com/bodies/1985-toyota-hilux-sr5-clear-body-cab-bed/ and their photos make a pretty overt reference to the BTTF truck. I just didn't want a lexan body.

I initially considered doing an Ivan "Ironman" Stewart livery. But it seems like that's been overdone to death. Most folks seem to get the stripes wrong on the Hilux so I tackled that problem.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Waterproofed, wires managed, ready to go, except for a good way to secure the battery.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Ozmiander posted:

Waterproofed, wires managed, ready to go, except for a good way to secure the battery.

That looks so badass! WHat is it? Axial wraith? Sorry for the ignorance! Want one of these so bad.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Iznogood posted:

That looks so badass! WHat is it? Axial wraith? Sorry for the ignorance! Want one of these so bad.

Gmade R1. Way less popular and hopup parts aren't as common, but still cool as hell, and crawls like a beast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Ozmiander posted:

Gmade R1. Way less popular and hopup parts aren't as common, but still cool as hell, and crawls like a beast.

Will have to check those out! Not to expensive to!

Getting ready to breakin my revo 3.3 and I am terrorised. Having never done that and being alone it's quite intimidating. I'm sure it's nothing but right now moments before firing up the engine for the first time I am paralysed. One thing the manual does not have is install everything yourself on the car. I am afraid I missed something a screw or what have you.

Then again everything looks fine. Electronics are fine. Should just do it! ah!

edit: and I did! Started fine but I did not let it idle enough before giving a little throttle and it was too cold kept stoping. then I flooded it and stuck the piston. It kept getting stuck so I used a air drier to get the engine to 140 and then it was smooth again but the car won't start. changed the glow plug and almost sstarted and starter is out of batts. ha ha. bastard is charging.

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 24, 2016