Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Police are looking for this suspect:

e: wanted for terrible snyping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Rough Lobster posted:

a better strategy is not intentionally causing a car accident

Not if it gets you out of a ticket and causes the cop to be at fault.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

plus the added bonus you may be shot and killed

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Would he have been better off hitting the tree? Probably?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Football and Futball from FailArmy (also some rugby including our favorite kid killdozer)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MxEB15Mmyc

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Parts Kit posted:

Football and Futball from FailArmy (also some rugby including our favorite kid killdozer)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MxEB15Mmyc

Apologies for the link, but I couldn't find the video standalone:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/bit-over-reaction-groningens-juninho-8732386

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Outrail posted:

Would he have been better off hitting the tree? Probably?

Depends on where he hit it. If he hit at certain leverage points(neck, lower back), the whiplash would have been worse. At least the house is something wide enough that his entire upper body hit it at the same time, absorbing some of the impact.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

That's one weird trick alright.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't know that I'm really feeling the scadenfreude because some kid in an -istan blew off his hand with a grenade. Is there context to this, like he's a Brony or something?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Judging by the flag and the shirt, it's the Ukraine, and odds are that he pulled the pin off a 'nade thinking he could be a badass by holding down the spoon and put the ring back in but that.. really doesn't work and he's probably incredibly lucky that he only lost his hand.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Kurieg posted:

Judging by the flag and the shirt, it's the Ukraine, and odds are that he pulled the pin off a 'nade thinking he could be a badass by holding down the spoon and put the ring back in but that.. really doesn't work

Why does it not? The fuse doesn't ignite until the spoon flies off because the spoon's what prevents the striker from firing.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

um, actually

*pushes up glasses*

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kurieg posted:

Judging by the flag and the shirt, it's the Ukraine, and odds are that he pulled the pin off a 'nade thinking he could be a badass by holding down the spoon and put the ring back in but that.. really doesn't work and he's probably incredibly lucky that he only lost his hand.

I did a reverse image search but most of the links that came up were in Cyrillic.

There was also an old GIP thread where they reckoned he most likely tried to throw the grenade away and it detonated just after he threw it, which is why he only lost a hand.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was something like his finger slipped off for a split-second, and he didn't realize it was still about to go off even after he instinctively attempted to clamp back down on it. By the time he realized it and tried throwing it, well...

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

Phanatic posted:

Why does it not? The fuse doesn't ignite until the spoon flies off because the spoon's what prevents the striker from firing.

That's a particular Russian grenade design where the spoon pushes off vertically, along the axis of the grenade, instead of swinging out like American grenades. If you don't hold them tight enough and/or at the wrong angle and/or with wet, muddy hands the spoon can pop off unintentionally.

radiatinglines posted:

um, actually

*pushes up glasses*

SHUT UP!

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I don't know that I'm really feeling the scadenfreude because some kid in an -istan blew off his hand with a grenade.

While it of course sucks for him, "cool but dangerous selfie attempt goes terribly wrong" is a classic schadenfreude category.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Phanatic posted:

ductonius posted:

That's a particular Russian grenade design where the spoon pushes off vertically, along the axis of the grenade, instead of swinging out like American grenades. If you don't hold them tight enough and/or at the wrong angle and/or with wet, muddy hands the spoon can pop off unintentionally.

This, also it's supposedly difficult to shove the ring back in one handed while also maintaining depression on the spoon.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Is there a significant advantage to the Russian design or is it just a “gently caress you” to people who expect the spoon to do its job?

Bonald Farndhardt
Apr 18, 2005
Ye it up
http://imgur.com/mlIZDRN

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Platystemon posted:

Is there a significant advantage to the Russian design or is it just a “gently caress you” to people who expect the spoon to do its job?

They stole a US design, but were holding the blueprints sideways when they built it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Now stop it in mid air and add Roundabout.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

Platystemon posted:

The latter.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ekuNNN posted:

While it of course sucks for him, "cool but dangerous selfie attempt goes terribly wrong" is a classic schadenfreude category.

IIRC there have been multiple people in the Ukraine/Russia that have died shortly after taking a grenade selfie.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Platystemon posted:

"By having the spoon pop off vertically we wont have to include a pin for it to pivot around making the whole package cost ₽0.0001 less to manufacturer!"

Literally Esoteric
Jun 13, 2012

One final, furious struggle...then a howl of victory

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Spog posted:

They stole a US design, but were holding the blueprints sideways when they built it.

Just like the B-29 and its patched airframe they copied.

Edit: Fixed quote, thanks VV

TotalLossBrain has a new favorite as of 23:24 on Sep 20, 2016

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

TotalLossBrain posted:

Just like the B-29 and its patched airframe they copied.

Took me a second to realize you were talking about the grenade and not the new GTA

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://i.imgur.com/2EPWc07.gifv

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Trying to jump into the gracht in amsterdam (which would be schadenfreude even if it went right tbh)

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

ekuNNN posted:

Trying to jump into the gracht in amsterdam (which would be schadenfreude even if it went right tbh)

Probably better than going in 10 seconds earlier and being run over by the boat.

Rasmus
Jul 13, 2016

I wish I was brian Blessed

I just realized they are counting down with their fingers/stump. :psyduck:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Grenade story reminds me of all the boot camp grenade schadenfreude videos. Something about handling a potato sized bomb for the first time makes people go from zero to :downs: pretty quick.

I imagine it must be kind of nerve wracking to train people with these things.

*recruit pulls pin, releases spoon, promptly drops grenade at his feet*

*a split second later trainer has already frog jumped into trench. *

*recruit just sort of standing there dumbfounded with a :stare: expression on his face*

*trainer has enough time to realize recruit is still standing there and scrambles over and shot puts idiot into trench, frog jumping into it himself.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
And thats' why they usually don't train with live explosives, isn't it? I'm an idiot civvie who couldn't join the military even if he wanted to (US military doesn't want toys that are already broken) so I have no idea how it goes.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

And thats' why they usually don't train with live explosives, isn't it? I'm an idiot civvie who couldn't join the military even if he wanted to (US military doesn't want toys that are already broken) so I have no idea how it goes.

I mean at some point they have to. I imagine they take as many precautions as possible; I believe their range consists of a trench surrounding the trainer and trainee (think of the outline of a T) and they are supposed to throw the grenade over a wall. So 95% of the places it'll land you're protected by a wall of dirt. But people being :downs: I'm sure there's a fair share of close calls.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Panfilo posted:

I mean at some point they have to. I imagine they take as many precautions as possible; I believe their range consists of a trench surrounding the trainer and trainee (think of the outline of a T) and they are supposed to throw the grenade over a wall. So 95% of the places it'll land you're protected by a wall of dirt. But people being :downs: I'm sure there's a fair share of close calls.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

At least in this one the trainee looks like they know they hosed up and i think maybe even shoves the trainer in first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Nah he's getting dragged the gently caress into the hole.