Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's no magical combination of episodes that'll sucker someone in. If they'll like the show, they'll like the show.

But there is a magical combination of episodes that will turn you sad and gay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Who What Now posted:

If you didn't love Steven singing a song about witnessing his own suicide via temporal paradox then you're a goddamn pod person.

l'epic this

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Gorilla Salad posted:

It's a special kind of beep boop person who thinks that episodes centred around character interaction are wastes of time and worthless.

Especially in a show like this.

Autism isn't that special.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Are we officially on hiatus now? Or will there be a new episode on Thursday?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Who What Now posted:

If you didn't love Steven singing a song about witnessing his own suicide via temporal paradox then you're a goddamn pod person.

According to one of the creators on Twitter, the point of that episode was "establishing time travel rules, and also wouldn't it be funny if the main character died 50 times".

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 20, 2016

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Carrasco posted:

According to one of the creators on Twitter, the point of that episode was "establishing time travel rules, and also wouldn't it be funny if the main character died 50 times".

So no quantum infinite? Just prime and all else is dust... love it!

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Carrasco posted:

Good rules.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Is there any SU episode that's actually 100% filler? Like nothing in it is relevant or shows up again even as a background gag?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

MariusLecter posted:

Basic Homestuck rules. Closed loops are A-ok but step out of line and you're hosed.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

chitoryu12 posted:

Is there any SU episode that's actually 100% filler? Like nothing in it is relevant or shows up again even as a background gag?

Say Uncle.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Garnet's Universe.

Say Uncle is where Steven learned how to summon his shield. It's not filler.

Some episodes seem like filler, but it's just that their relevance is not apparent until later.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Bongo Bill posted:

Garnet's Universe.

Say Uncle is where Steven learned how to summon his shield. It's not filler.

Some episodes seem like filler, but it's just that their relevance is not apparent until later.

Yeah, I'm of the thought that no episode that develops characters or relationships is filler, even if the characters involved are not one of the main characters, but Garnet's Universe doesn't really do that. And I didn't think it was very funny, either. To me it's definitely one of the less good episodes of the series.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I personally enjoyed the episodes where Goku and Piccolo learnt to drive.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I love Say Uncle.

But for people who don't like it I have a mental gymnastic routine you can go through.
Steven watches a lot of Uncle Grandpa. He wandered into his room at one point and fell asleep and his dreams manifested as the episode. He realized he was just having a waking dream during the end-credits.

Or, Uncle Grandpa is a benevolent eldritch anomaly. He is both creator and byproduct. Both Uncle and Grandpa. He is the tire-swing on Kabbalah's tree of life.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Megaspel posted:

Someday I hope to watch the full episode of that. :allears:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Someday I hope to watch the full episode of that. :allears:

Why wait?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

MrSlam posted:

I love Say Uncle.

But for people who don't like it :frogout:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Megaspel posted:

I love that this is the one episode of DBZ that everyone knows. Sometimes anime filler is awful, but sometimes it turns into something magical :allears:

https://youtu.be/-WqYMCqUAv8

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Onion Gang (i fucken hope)

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

Mr. Gusite is Pink Diamond.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

The idea that every single episode of a show is beholden to advancing character development, or building the plot and story up, and that we can't just park in this world for a moment, enjoying these characters make some time travel/meta-canon jokes or fight a boy who throws cars or riff on Dragonball Z, is one i will seriously never understand

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Hakkesshu posted:

Onion Gang (i fucken hope)

Soup is White Diamond.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

misadventurous posted:

The idea that every single episode of a show is beholden to advancing character development, or building the plot and story up, and that we can't just park in this world for a moment, enjoying these characters make some time travel/meta-canon jokes or fight a boy who throws cars or riff on Dragonball Z, is one i will seriously never understand

onion is worse than uncle grandpa

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

chitoryu12 posted:

Say Uncle is the closest (it's explicitly non canon and Ian JQ once said that they made it with the knowledge that there were people who were gonna skip it) but even then there's been a few callbacks

Bongo Bill posted:

Garnet's Universe.

Weren't YOU the one who pointed out that it's part of an arc continued with future vision where Garnet tries to be more open and relateable with steven? or was that someone else

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Weren't YOU the one who pointed out that it's part of an arc continued with future vision where Garnet tries to be more open and relateable with steven? or was that someone else

I don't think that was me.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

misadventurous posted:

I blame millenials
MILLENIALS :bahgawd:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Acne Rain posted:

I blame millenials
MILLENIALS :bahgawd:
I realize you're joking, but man alive have I been seeing this everywhere lately. An article popped up in my Facebook feed that was a loving think piece on how General Mills is going broke because Millennials aren't buying cereal for their kids the way their parents did.

How loving entitled do you have to be as a company to place generational blame on people not buying your eight dollar box of breakfast candy?

Honestly, with shows like this instead of toyetic garbage GI Joe stuff I grew up with, I have a little more faith in newer generations than I do mine.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly, Steven and the Stevens would be my go-to one-shot-at-this intro episode to convince people to watch.

MariusLecter posted:

As soon as Steven time travels, every single being in the timeline he just left starts screaming in unison and then the entire universe dissolves into dust.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

MrSlam posted:

Uncle Grandpa is a benevolent eldritch anomaly. He is both creator and byproduct. Both Uncle and Grandpa. He is the tire-swing on Kabbalah's tree of life.

:allears:

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
My favorite part of the steven time travel shenanigans was when he realized that he was kind of annoying. That's when I realized how smart and insightful the writers are - they didn't have a decent, but kind of annoying sense of humor, they had the ability to write for one. And steven actually does start acting less annoying after that! This show has a beautiful, still-ongoing, layering of "I had to tell you that story to tell you this one."

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I just realized that Steven knew to break the hourglass or whatever to undo all the time bullshit he caused because that's how Garnet got rid of all the copies Onion made with the duplicator.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

GunnerJ posted:

I just realized that Steven knew to break the hourglass or whatever to undo all the time bullshit he caused because that's how Garnet got rid of all the copies Onion made with the duplicator.

Then he died. Remember kids, knowledge brings suffering.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Is there a map pinpointing all the known gem locations too?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
IMO the relevance Garnet's Universe is that, a couple of episodes beforehand, Steven had gotten tangled up in a pretty awful situation with Ronaldo. Making up a story where his strongest mom beats up a version of Ronaldo was just his way of coping, which ties into the general theme of exploring various ways of dealing with trauma.

Also, Steven's version of Garnet saying "Steven's not ready to know I have animal friends yet" is probably the first indication Steven realizes, on some level, the gems weren't completely forthcoming with him about some things.

If nothing else, it gave us the phrase "Stevenbomb".

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

Just gonna leave this here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4ihWkgHsZ0

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

:stonk:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I'm dying