Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Ice racing totally rules. At its simplest, you get some screws and put them in the knobs of your tires. You can also just buy them pre-studded. Look up Jeff Fredette racing. I think he has some guides floating around on how to screw them if you don't want to buy directly from him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Deeters posted:

Ice racing totally rules. At its simplest, you get some screws and put them in the knobs of your tires. You can also just buy them pre-studded. Look up Jeff Fredette racing. I think he has some guides floating around on how to screw them if you don't want to buy directly from him.

Thanks, I am checking out his site now.

I found some planet minis ice racing threads and got a better understanding from that. Noticed in a thread from 2007, someone I know from mini moto racing was talking about their Ice experience so I might have to hit them up as well.

I don't know what tire to use, I have brand new OEM crf50 knbbbies but 10 x 2.50 tires are inexpensive and I would rather do it right. I am leaning towards Kold Kutter 3/8" studs, I noticed that Fredette offers down to 1/2" but I think that might still be too long for a CRF50

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
wrong thread, whoops

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Today I realized the Ducati will auto-crank itself until the engine catches, with only one press of the start button. I've never seen a vehicle that does that, let alone an entry level motorcycle. :allbuttons:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

Today I realized the Ducati will auto-crank itself until the engine catches, with only one press of the start button. I've never seen a vehicle that does that, let alone an entry level motorcycle. :allbuttons:

GM has done this since the early 00s. P much every car does that poo poo now. Its hilarity when something like a fuel pump starts taking a poo poo and it cranks like crazy.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Coydog posted:

Today I realized the Ducati will auto-crank itself until the engine catches, with only one press of the start button. I've never seen a vehicle that does that, let alone an entry level motorcycle.

There is an entry level Ducati?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Coydog posted:

the first time i learned that was because i was watching youtube videos of one way clutch replacements and the guy was working on a panigale. italianexperience.mov

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Psshh, my 2000 Suzuki Marauder would crank itself.

That was with the kill switch off though. And the key off, and the sidestand down, and In gear.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
This is a terrible idea, but I wanted to chat about it anyway. I have great cell coverage along some kickass roads near where I live, and Facebook has a live stream option. I wonder if there's a way to mount my phone with the camera pointed forward so I could livestream taking a ride.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Actually it's an excellent idea. I recommend duct tape.

Edit: also link the stream here for all to enjoy.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

pokie posted:

There is an entry level Ducati?

400cc Scrambler. Honestly haven't heard much about it.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Monster 620 also counts I guess

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
After doing a long (4+ hour) ride on the VFR I have decided that the windscreen has to loving go. With my height and the angle the windscreen is at, my helmet is right in the buffeting zone for air coming off of that loving thing and holy poo poo is it fatiguing. Standing up and getting my head into clean air is a goddamn dream come true after an hour of being bobbleheaded.

Anyone with a VFR (6th-gen) done anything about the windscreen? I'm thinking about the MRA Vario with the adjustable spoiler on the top.

I kinda want a naked bike again :(

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

EX250 Type R posted:

Thanks, I am checking out his site now.

I found some planet minis ice racing threads and got a better understanding from that. Noticed in a thread from 2007, someone I know from mini moto racing was talking about their Ice experience so I might have to hit them up as well.

I don't know what tire to use, I have brand new OEM crf50 knbbbies but 10 x 2.50 tires are inexpensive and I would rather do it right. I am leaning towards Kold Kutter 3/8" studs, I noticed that Fredette offers down to 1/2" but I think that might still be too long for a CRF50

Here's a guide I've been told is good for low power bikes (it's obviously a bit old and geared towards full size flat track bikes). Should be good for a 50 or 150.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Carth Dookie posted:

Actually it's an excellent idea. I recommend duct tape.

Edit: also link the stream here for all to enjoy.

The resulting snuff film will also be very useful for next year's compendium of bad riders.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

VERTiG0 posted:

Anyone with a VFR (6th-gen) done anything about the windscreen? I'm thinking about the MRA Vario with the adjustable spoiler on the top.

In the meantime, if it's truly horrible, you can just remove the screen, leaving a big gap in the front fascia.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

SquadronROE posted:

This is a terrible idea, but I wanted to chat about it anyway. I have great cell coverage along some kickass roads near where I live, and Facebook has a live stream option. I wonder if there's a way to mount my phone with the camera pointed forward so I could livestream taking a ride.

I was thinking about doing that at the track so y'all can poo poo talk my lines

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Coydog posted:

The new SV650 does this :dukedog:

It also applies some throttle if the ECU see's you being a moron with the clutch to keep you from stalling

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The new SV650 does this :dukedog:

It also applies some throttle if the ECU see's you being a moron with the clutch to keep you from stalling

And yet I bet the suspension is still made from springs they fished out of someone's mattress.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

SquadronROE posted:

Of course there is. I have a disconnected Galaxy S5 I stuff in there as a dedicated GPS on long, specific trips. Has a hole on the other end for the cam lens.
My actual phone stays with me though. That way, when I get hit because I was looking at my GPS instead of paying attention, my phone will be on me to call 911 instead of attached to my bike, wherever it lands.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Nooooo my van does this and it's a handy thing for hillstarts and the like but it would be utterly maddening on a bike.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Nooooo my van does this and it's a handy thing for hillstarts and the like but it would be utterly maddening on a bike.

Don't all fuel-injected engines do this if you're relatively gentle on the clutch?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Don't all fuel-injected engines do this if you're relatively gentle on the clutch?

They idle up but they don't actively apply throttle (yes I realise it's technically the same thing on a DBW vehicle with no IAC). Unless that's all JSB means in which case carry on.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HotCanadianChick posted:

And yet I bet the suspension is still made from springs they fished out of someone's mattress.

Have you seen the inside of a new mattress? Spring technology has come a long way!!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
It's all memory foam these days.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Have you seen the inside of a new mattress? Spring technology has come a long way!!

Sleep number beds are literally a foam box with an airbag in the middle attached to an inflator/deflator

Long story short, Suzuki should start putting air suspension on their bikes any day now.

Real talk, I wonder if the magnetic suspensions that GM has been putting on some of their cars for the past few years would have any application on bikes vs. the active valving that's out there now.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jazzzzz posted:

Sleep number beds are literally a foam box with an airbag in the middle attached to an inflator/deflator

Long story short, Suzuki should start putting air suspension on their bikes any day now.

Real talk, I wonder if the magnetic suspensions that GM has been putting on some of their cars for the past few years would have any application on bikes vs. the active valving that's out there now.

old news: http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2012/05/2013-450cc-motocross-bikes-from-kawasaki-and-honda-get-new-air-forks/

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
older than you'd think. this stuff was around in the 80s.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jazzzzz posted:

Is it actually fully magnetic like the stuff the F1 teams were playing with in the 90s (i.e. the suspension is fully controllable), or just the ferrofluid stuff that's been turning up on performance cars for a while now (where they can just change the damping properties)?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Is it actually fully magnetic like the stuff the F1 teams were playing with in the 90s (i.e. the suspension is fully controllable), or just the ferrofluid stuff that's been turning up on performance cars for a while now (where they can just change the damping properties)?

I think he is referring to magnetorheological dampers. GM has been using them on the Corvette for a while.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gorson posted:

I think he is referring to magnetorheological dampers. GM has been using them on the Corvette for a while.

Yeah that's the ferrofluid one I was talking about. It's interesting but not as cool as the fully-active ones where you've basically got a rail gun for a suspension system. Mind you it's been one of those "Any day soon" things for a couple of decades now.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah that's the ferrofluid one I was talking about. It's interesting but not as cool as the fully-active ones where you've basically got a rail gun for a suspension system. Mind you it's been one of those "Any day soon" things for a couple of decades now.

They seem to be limited to "halo" cars: the Corvette, Ferraris, and I think some Audi's? They must be expensive to manufacture. It's probably a replacement cost issue.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Wouldn't you need a much beefier electrical system as well to run the things?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Gorson posted:

They seem to be limited to "halo" cars: the Corvette, Ferraris, and I think some Audi's? They must be expensive to manufacture. It's probably a replacement cost issue.

You can get it as an option on the new Camaros.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Electromagnets and accelerometers aren't exactly new tech.

They're not pricey:

quote:

ACDELCO Part # 5801056
{#19302785, 25849150, 580381} GM Original Equipment
Rear Right; SPECIAL SUSP(FE4), VARIABLE TIME DAMPING CHASSIS(F55); CODE HS9 $234.79

ACDELCO Part # 5801055
{#19302784, 25849149, 580380} GM Original Equipment
Rear Left; SPECIAL SUSP(FE4), VARIABLE TIME DAMPING CHASSIS(F55); CODE H9R (Only 4 Remaining) $237.79

ACDELCO Part # 5801044
{#19302773} GM Original Equipment
Front; SPECIAL SUSP(FE4), VARIABLE TIME DAMPING CHASSIS(F55) $362.79

A raspberry pi could probably run them.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
They are heavier, more complicated, and more expensive to develop and build.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BlackMK4 posted:

They are heavier, more complicated, and more expensive to develop and build.

but it'll shave 3 seconds off my daily commute, so it's worth it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Slim Pickens posted:

but it'll shave 3 seconds off my daily commute, so it's worth it.

If that was the case we'd see them in some form of racing :v:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
They're on the Corvettes, the newer Camaros depending on trim level, the SS sedan, and the Cadillac CTS-V (and maybe the ATS-V as well?)

I have an SS sedan; there's three selectable modes (tour, sport, performance) that steadily firm up the suspension as you go between those modes. I know dick all about suspension, it just seemed like magnetic dampers might be slightly less complicated than active valving and preload. Didn't think about the weight, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Jazzzzz posted:

They're on the Corvettes, the newer Camaros depending on trim level, the SS sedan, and the Cadillac CTS-V (and maybe the ATS-V as well?)

I have an SS sedan; there's three selectable modes (tour, sport, performance) that steadily firm up the suspension as you go between those modes. I know dick all about suspension, it just seemed like magnetic dampers might be slightly less complicated than active valving and preload. Didn't think about the weight, though.

While that may be the case, the Corvette T1 suspension package (track level) is conventional. I don't know anything about the other cars.