Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Kimbo was also a much more competent fighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Kimbo was also a much more competent fighter.

If only the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation hadn't failed Kimbo, we could've had Kevn Ferguson vs. Phil Brooks on free TV.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/jeremybotter/status/778340550638379009

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

yesssssss

And yeah, I'm really sad we'll never get Kimbo/Punk :(

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Once was totally defensible but even tho he's somewhat of a draw a second really looks sketchy imo.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

so they're going to handpick another 0-0 fighter for the old pro wrestler to lose to? alright, I guess.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Thauros posted:

Once was totally defensible but even tho he's somewhat of a draw a second really looks sketchy imo.

let him fight Mike Jackson

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

-Atom- posted:

so they're going to handpick another 0-0 fighter for the old pro wrestler to lose to? alright, I guess.

Bring Back Mike Jackson

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Maybe they take up the Green Power Ranger on his challenge this time?

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

FullLeatherJacket posted:

I should clarify here that my suggestion here isn't that CM Punk will draw 100,000+ PPV buys forever onwards and be the face of MMA, but rather that a guy who ever drew 100,000+ buys is enough to make MMA promoters prick up their ears

The comparison to Kimbo is that Kimbo never actually demonstrated an ability to sell a ticket to anything at all and was still able to get a co-main fighting a scrub idiot Bellator found on the internet, even years after being demonstrated as an incompetent trashman
I think you might be overestimating the number of leagues that can drop half a million dollars on one fighter

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Kimbo would have hit Mr.Punk once and he would have been knocked out of the reservation arena like a super smash character getting hit with the big hammer

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
I will watch CM Punk's next fight and I will enjoy it. Win, lose, or botched top rope elbow drop.

Kurohashi
Sep 8, 2005

*waddle waddle*

1st AD posted:

let him fight Mike Jackson

I think they will unironically do this. It has so little hurdles to clear since they are both 0-1 in the UFC and skill-wise have no business being there while having the same record and sharing the same opponent.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Being an okay draw once because of novelty is probably not going to translate into future drawing power

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
I did an independent study and it seems to me like nobody bought the card because of CM Punk, it was all because of Stipe Miocic.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

remusclaw posted:

Maybe they take up the Green Power Ranger on his challenge this time?

JDF is a lifelong martial artist who's body has not been destroyed by years of pro wrestling he'd definitely have the upper hand.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
do you pronounce it jay dee eff?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Gaz2k21 posted:

JDF is a lifelong martial artist who's body has not been destroyed by years of pro wrestling he'd definitely have the upper hand.

I didn't realize until now that he actually has MMA experience. I thought he was just a karate guy, but wiki gives him a 4-0 amateur and 1-0 pro fight record, so yeah, you're right, not a good choice.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Put him on a Fight Night

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Bring back Fred Ettish!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Kurohashi posted:

I think they will unironically do this. It has so little hurdles to clear since they are both 0-1 in the UFC and skill-wise have no business being there while having the same record and sharing the same opponent.

Isn't Mike Jackson also literally a photographer they offered a duffel bag full of cash to do a fight

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Luigi Thirty posted:

Isn't Mike Jackson also literally a photographer they offered a duffel bag full of cash to do a fight

Joe Silva would book this in a heartbeat. Easy money.

Punk beats Jackson on a fight pass show. Or loses, thus ends the saga of CM Punk's MMA adventures.
But if Punk wins, he can fight another 0-0 can to whoop on or immediately challenge Mickey Gall.
Punk gets whooped by Gall again, who goes on to make UFC lots of money. Or they have Punk on a potential 3 fight win streak, good enough for Punk to get murdered by whoever's champ.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Having now seen the fight I am not sure there is a can for CM Punk to whoop.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Luigi Thirty posted:

He's done kickboxing (maybe just ammy?) in addition to photography/journalism

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

People often forget the most hilarious thing about Punk's time in OVW..and an amazing look at how the WWE operates: According to Heyman, he'd get an email weekly from someone..not even someone in talent relations (the people in charge of who's signed/released), but often a secretary or something, going 'we want you to finish Punk up (end his storylines, etc.) and then you release him.' Heyman would go 'how about you fill out his release with a date he's gone, and THEN i'll finish him up', and the whole thing devolved into a circle with Heyman going 'No, YOU do it', and the office going 'No, YOU do it'..and no one ever actually did anything about releasing Punk.

We Got Us A Bread fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 21, 2016

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Luigi Thirty posted:

As noted by LobsterMobster, Jackson did have a few kickboxing bouts but no MMA experience. He told a story about when they first called him he thought they wanted him to do photography for the event or something and was stunned when they offered him a fight. He probably got like 10k for it and 15 minutes of fame.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Martinpale posted:

People often forget the most hilarious thing about Punk's time in OVW..and an amazing look at how the WWE operates: According to Heyman, he'd get an email weekly from someone..not even someone in talent relations (the people in charge of who's signed/released), but often a secretary or something, going 'we want you to finish Punk up (end his storylines, etc.) and then you release him.' Heyman would go 'how about you fill out his release with a date he's gone, and THEN i'll finish him up', and the whole thing devolved into a circle with Heyman going 'No, YOU do it', and the office going 'No, YOU do it'..and no one ever actually did anything about releasing Punk.

Didn't HBK basically save his job by interrupting a writer circle-jerk of them making fun of him?

e: found it

quote:

Vince McMahon was scheduled to appear on ECW for the first time in the start of a new storyline. He was going to rid ECW of it’s “Original” stars and make the way for a “New Breed.” The meeting quickly turned into another CM Punk bash fest. My role was to run the meeting but dare not speak out of turn on the veteran agents. This was how the previous months meetings had gone but this day was different. It was a new voice in the room that changed everything. “Um, if you don’t like something the kid is doing, why don’t you work with him to fix it...instead of killing him.” That voice belonged to Shawn Michaels

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Sep 21, 2016

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

That HBK story reads like one of the made up stories about Albert Einstein. And that child... was Shawn Michaels.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Burt Buckle posted:

That HBK story reads like one of the made up stories about Albert Einstein. And that child... was Shawn Michaels.

Normally, I'd say you're right but we're talking about the WWE here.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Did he win his second fight yet?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Did he win his second fight yet?

He's currently medically suspended and cannot train at all until mid October and isn't allowed to have any contact for another 15 days after. Assuming Brooks got into camp right away following his suspension we won't see him fight until January at the earliest.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Please fight Jason David Frank. :pray:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Senerio posted:

Please fight Jason David Frank. :pray:

JDF would probably crush Punk as well even though I'm certain Gall would destroy JDF also.

I don't think JDF a would do well under USADA either.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Hoping for another two year buildup. That was totally worth it.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

coconono posted:

Joe Silva would book this in a heartbeat. Easy money.

Punk beats Jackson on a fight pass show. Or loses, thus ends the saga of CM Punk's MMA adventures.
But if Punk wins, he can fight another 0-0 can to whoop on or immediately challenge Mickey Gall.
Punk gets whooped by Gall again, who goes on to make UFC lots of money. Or they have Punk on a potential 3 fight win streak, good enough for Punk to get murdered by whoever's champ.

Punk will never fight for a.belt, even if he somehow wins 3 fights in a row

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Say Nothing posted:

Bring back Fred Ettish!

Reminder that Fred Ettish is 1-1 and has won more fights than CM Punk

twitter and bisted
Aug 26, 2012

I'm a crow and nothing human is avian to me

WrasslorMonkey posted:

Yeah, it was fantastic. Pro wrestling is Dionysian, mixed martial arts is Apollonian and for a brief moment Punk brought them together. And although the MMA people saying he should be cut aren't at all wrong, I would indeed pay to watch him fight Michael Jackson.

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

WrasslorMonkey posted:

Fair one, dude has a point. And another mini series-docu programme.

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
I still say put him on a rookie as gently caress season of TUF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Optimist with doubt posted:

I still say put him on a rookie as gently caress season of TUF.

I know the thought process behind this is that obviously it would do pretty big viewership for TUF this late in its production history, but there's way too high a chance it would have absolutely no longterm benefit for the UFC and be a colossal waste of time and resources. There's hardly any guarantee Punk would win even in a tournament of strictly debutantes or 0-1/1-0 fighters, and then you're stuck giving a longterm contract to some inexperienced, unremarkable, unmarketable nobody who could would lose to virtually any welterweight on the roster at this stage in their career.

If the UFC decides they want to keep Punk under contract and develop him or milk another fight or two out of him, that is obviously their call, but there's no logical benefit to doing so by investing their time and money into TUF: Scrubs, Team Dober vs. Team Barberena.

• Locked thread