Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
also seriously I windex the screen of my phone and my work laptop every morning before I pack it up and go to work, if you do not do this you are a gross Neanderthal who might as well not shower as far as I am concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

rapeface posted:

as you can see, touchID fingerprints stay onthe phone and are never trasmitted to apple's servers thus ensuring the most secure performance

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

rapeface posted:

as you can see, touchID fingerprints stay onthe phone and are never trasmitted to apple's servers thus ensuring the most secure performance

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

you should get some sunglasses or tinted-car-window cleaner instead.

windex can strip the anti reflective coatings or delaminate the screen layers if you aren't careful and even if you are it can eventually eat through the coatings and seals to do that anyway.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
lint-free cloth & a 50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol and distilled water

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Shifty Pony posted:

you should get some sunglasses or tinted-car-window cleaner instead.

windex can strip the anti reflective coatings or delaminate the screen layers if you aren't careful and even if you are it can eventually eat through the coatings and seals to do that anyway.

actually I just wipe it with water on moist towel and that clears it up. if I grease it up later in the day I run it on my titty, as does everyone as far as I can tell.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

ufarn posted:

sierra is out - god help all you early adopters

HELLO REPORTING IN

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

messages.app status: it still doesn't support any of the new poo poo apart from "reactions" (thumbs up or w/e). fireworks? nope! lasers? Nope. slame effecT? lol NOPE

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

they added tabs to mail.app

but

there is no new tab button. cmd + T opens fonts.

what the gently caress is this garbage timb

10 points to the first yosposter to inform me how the hell u use tabs in mail.app.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

iTunes was also updated like last week? it's super blue now and slightly different but still not very intuitive

also they killed the fancy colored album background effect that they harped on about 2 years ago when it was new or w/e

tl;dr this apple fanboy is mad as hell

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
(posted with Fireworks)

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

C.H.O.M.E posted:

do we shame people for being poor now my dude because I am IN

petition to bring back the 5 figgie fucktard thread

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

sierra complaint #403903298, it resets your notification centre preferences for app badge icon

i am now bothered by inane chat messages that i do not want to see (and previously specifically hid)

a bad operating system. thanks, tim

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I like how the fundamental feature of Bedtime, the notification that it is time for bed, literally does not work.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

i like how bedtime is supposed to be a gentle way to wake you up but actually vibrates like a train going across a poorly maintained line from the 1860s and is thus not gentle at all

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
I like the subtle use of the taptic feedback engine in various places iOS 10.

H T H

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

OS X sierra makes you re-add your keys to ssh agent after installing

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

itunes: if you click the play icon in this screenshot, what would you expect to happen?

1) start playing the album dark side of the moon by pink floyd beginning from the track "on the run"
2) nothing else why would it that's obviously what it should do

well you would be wrong. if you click the play icon it starts playing all your songs, in alphabetical order, from the point in the list where On The Run is.

EVEN BETTER - if you double click "on the run" it does exactly what you'd expect and starts playing the actual album

why does it do this? who knows!

apple is officially bad now

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

they added tabs to mail.app

but

there is no new tab button. cmd + T opens fonts.

what the gently caress is this garbage timb

10 points to the first yosposter to inform me how the hell u use tabs in mail.app.

the answer is, apaprently, you hit cmd + alt + N to open a new viewer window. you can only have 2 views to your inbox like this. you cannot compose mails.

i had to google to find this out. it just works

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

loquacius posted:

why do people keep saying Apple has good UX again

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
thank you Jonny 290 for conveniently quoting that post on the last page

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

GameCube posted:

yeah they still haven't fixed that poo poo. it's been broken for years and they just... don't care. every time it happens i sigh really loud irl

when you tap an app developer in the store, it takes you to rows of their apps which you get to scroll horizontally at the top of the screen :thumbsup:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

OS X sierra makes you re-add your keys to ssh agent after installing

reminder that as of OpenSSH 7 (updated with sierra) DSA keys are no longer supported. generate RSA keys.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

who the gently caress is using DSA in 2016

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

iTunes continues to be terrible. you can always count on them to change the interface around, and for the changes not to make anything better.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
literally no one at apple uses itunes for podcasts

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ufarn posted:

literally no one at apple uses itunes for podcasts

do they listen to podcasts on their computers, or on some device-type widget?

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

The Management posted:

iTunes continues to be terrible. you can always count on them to change the interface around, and for the changes not to make anything better.

this is correct. and describes every iteration of itunes to date. lol!!!!

ufarn
May 30, 2009

prefect posted:

do they listen to podcasts on their computers, or on some device-type widget?
their apple watch with wireless earpods presumably

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ufarn posted:

their apple watch with wireless earpods presumably

i tried using my iphone along with itunes and an ipod for podcast listening, but when it did any synchronization, it assumed that whatever was on the phone was exactly what should be everywhere else. so if i listened to something on my computer, my phone would re-sync it into un-listened-to-ness :argh:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
where does the name "podcast" come from?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wheany posted:

"Podcast" is a portmanteau, invented by BBC journalist Ben Hammersley in 2004,[5] of the words "pod" — from iPod, a popular brand of portable media player produced by Apple Inc. — and "broadcast".[6] Despite the etymology, the content can be accessed using any computer or similar device that can play media files. Use of the term "podcast" predated Apple's addition of formal support for podcasting to the iPod, or to Apple's iTunes software.[7]

On September 26, 2004, it was reported that Apple had started to crack down on businesses using the string "POD", in product and company names. Apple sent a cease and desist letter that week to Podcast Ready, Inc., which markets an application known as "myPodder".[21] Lawyers for Apple contended that the term "pod" has been used by the public to refer to Apple's music player so extensively that it falls under Apple's trademark cover.[22] Such activity was speculated to be part of a bigger campaign for Apple to expand the scope of its existing iPod trademark, which included trademarking "IPOD", "IPODCAST", and "POD".[23] On November 16, 2006, the Apple Trademark Department stated that Apple does not object to third party usage of "the generic term" "podcast" to refer to podcasting services, and that Apple does not license the term. However, no statement was made as to whether or not Apple believed they held rights to it.[24]

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The Management posted:

do you think Apple reassigns developers to the iTunes team as a punishment or as a reward?

because on the one hand you now work on the sprawling hellscape that is itunes but on the other hand it is kind of like those honorary positions in universities or research orgs and you can just half rear end whatever the gently caress you feel like because nobody expects any more than that from iTunes.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Wheany posted:

from ipod

ufarn
May 30, 2009
tidal's player is literally easier to use than itunes

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

prefect posted:

"Podcast" is a portmanteau, invented by BBC journalist Ben Hammersley in 2004,[5] of the words "pod" — from iPod, a popular brand of portable media player produced by Apple Inc. — and "broadcast".[6] Despite the etymology, the content can be accessed using any computer or similar device that can play media files. Use of the term "podcast" predated Apple's addition of formal support for podcasting to the iPod, or to Apple's iTunes software.[7]
:eyepop::gowron::eyepoop::chanpop::captainpop::trumppop::bernpop::popeye::shittypop::zenpop:

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

trilljester posted:

There's no way to run emulators/etc on the ATV, right? That was one of the reasons I got a FireTV instead of the ATV, as I didn't want to build another computer for just emulators and what not. FireTV has been very needs-suiting.

https://github.com/jasarien/Provenance

you'll need a Mac so you can compile this in Xcode and a USB-C cable to transfer it onto your ATV
but you'll also need an MFi compatible gamepad ($50+). I guess it kind of works with the Siri Remote, but why would you do that?

i have a sick SNES looking iCade controller, but this doesn't support iCade at all iirc, so i still just use my Mac and OpenEmu tbh.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
~*buys $2000 worth of hardware to rip off 20 year old videogames*~

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
i remember emulator support was the big thing with the PSP way back in 2005 or whatever and i still didn't get it then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

infernal machines posted:

~*buys $2000 worth of hardware to rip off 20 year old videogames*~

because a mac and an apple tv could serve no other purpose of course :allears:

• Locked thread