Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Time for a change in perspective...

http://bato.to/reader#61d0032cbe480646

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, the perspective on that picture is pretty weird.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

it's a high angle fisheye

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

the new translator ak got sucks though lol

its like 3 times as stilted

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i wish usogui got faster releases its really good but comes out extremely slowly and i forget whats happened and there are like another 300 chapters

ahiwattamplifier
May 3, 2014

Sharkopath posted:

Time for a change in perspective...

http://bato.to/reader#61d0032cbe480646

Maybe it's the translation's fault, but I have no idea of what goes on in that comic

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ahiwattamplifier posted:

Maybe it's the translation's fault, but I have no idea of what goes on in that comic

its a really dense story thats grounded in lots of heavy themes and conflicting character motivations, but also the translation ranges from passable to near machine translated. I'd like it to get an official, professional release someday in english which would help a lot I bet.

They especially as of the latest chapter haven't been giving any characters a unique voice or vocabulary, so everybody sounds identical when they are throwing out tons of political terms.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

http://bato.to/reader#0366e4247723d5b6_1

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Is Doctor Doom dad going to get another daughter?

HouseofGlass
Apr 18, 2005
Quick! To the Bat-Fax!

Sharkopath posted:

its a really dense story thats grounded in lots of heavy themes and conflicting character motivations, but also the translation ranges from passable to near machine translated. I'd like it to get an official, professional release someday in english which would help a lot I bet.

They especially as of the latest chapter haven't been giving any characters a unique voice or vocabulary, so everybody sounds identical when they are throwing out tons of political terms.

Yeah, I feel bad for the translator since it's hard to juggle so many characters talking about a wide variety of complicated stuff, but they're also doing a pretty lousy job even with the more mundane lines. It makes it not just difficult to read, but also kind of boring because it's all so stilted and dry. Even just an simple divide in how the characters are speaking between "casual talk" and "military talk" would make it a lot smoother of a read.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Do not feel bad for bad translators

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

AnonSpore posted:

Do not feel bad for bad translators

Catch-22, you only have to feel bad for translators if their translation is bad

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

HenryEx posted:

Catch-22, you only have to feel bad for translators if their translation is bad

you can feel bad for good translators too, poo poo's hard and even good translations often have to make compromises, especially for things like jokes and character voice

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i don't like /ak/ cause they pick up good series and then ruin them with bad translations and terrible release schedules

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I only feel bad for good translators when the source material uses completely dumb bullshit that barely even makes sense in the original language, otherwise that's the challenge and the only thing that keeps uncompensated translation of material that was meant for young adults slash teenagers interesting

As the reader you shouldn't feel bad for them anyway because good translation is invisible

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

AnonSpore posted:

As the reader you shouldn't feel bad for them anyway because good translation is invisible

That's kinda what i meant, good translation is invisible. You only need to feel bad for someone, even good translators, when it catches your eye somewhere and you notice this was probably hard to do. If a translation is so good int's transparent or seems effortless, no reason to feel bad. :shrug:

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Davincie posted:

i don't like /ak/ cause they pick up good series and then ruin them with bad translations and terrible release schedules

they also cant format or typeset for poo poo unless things have changed. they made the first few chapters of hero bbs barely readable

edgy nazi eagle at the beginning of every chapter shouldve been a tipoff though

coathat
May 21, 2007

New Stravaganza http://bato.to/reader#f76fe2e1f66b8fbf

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Stravaganza is the best mood whiplash manga.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Stravaganza is the best mood whiplash manga.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from with that.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

My Stravaganza review: it has big, lovingly drawn breasts but I stopped reading it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Pewdiepie posted:

My Stravaganza review: it has big, lovingly drawn breasts but I stopped reading it.

Before or after getting to the even bigger ones?

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

chumbler posted:

Before or after getting to the even bigger ones?

[sounds of furious typing as i open a new tab to kissmanga]

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
"my brother's husband" is really good

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

yeah

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I'm really getting into Wombs (the manga). It is this mix of Starship Troopers and Alpha Centauri (Gaia's Stepdaughters vs the Spartans more precisely). The ridiculous premise is delivered in a non creepy way with the sensibility of a female author.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Wombs is really good yeah, I love their art

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Wombs is a stupid, weird, completely batshit idea.

How the poo poo does it manage to be so well done?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I think it's not that strange that a very weird idea tackled by a very talented artist ended up good, there's more to art than just the face value premise.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Oh I know, but you know if you described that idea to a random person, they would look at you like you just told them "Hey, read this story about a military putting aliens in wombs to give soldiers special powers while they're pregnant to fight other people, no wait, come back, I'm not on a list".

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Haha yeah, I think if you really got down to it and started trying to synopzise lots of comics like that you'd end up looking crazy though.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Welp I just binge-read all five (raw) volumes of Wombs, and it was good. For a second I thought I was getting owned by the publisher when the last volume was close to double the cost of the previous ones, but nope, volume 5 is just over 350 pages long.

I now kind of wish the translation hadn't decided to go with such a gendered slur for the drill sergeant bits, though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I read the first chapter of Wombs after seeing its batshit premise when it first came out and it was neat, but I've held off since and I think I'll wait until it gets completely scanlated. Hopefully it doesn't poo poo down its own leg like that one with the hyper-evolving death alien one that turned into literally DBZ by the end of it, Zoglin's praise gives me hope at least.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

person reading comic: its really good

other person reading comic: its really good yeah

other other person reading comic: yeah its really great

person purchasing and reading the entire run of the comic in the original language: it's good.

captain invictus: welp i hope it doesnt suck haha that would bite

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

person purchasing and reading the entire run of the comic in the original language: it's good.

captain invictus: welp i hope it doesnt poo poo down its own leg

fixed that for you

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Sharkopath posted:

captain invictus: welp i hope it doesnt suck haha that would bite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpYEJx7PkWE

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
DeathCo is extremely cool and I can't wait to read more.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

http://bato.to/reader#045eca5ab79454fb_1

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Kouji Kumeta is starting his own cinematic universe.

http://bato.to/reader#b5a39a193d9faa86

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Oh cool, same person that did Hito Hitori Futari. Thanks for linking this.