Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Holy poo poo, I just cleared Angel of Max Carnage and Angel of Confidence, for the first time, simultaneously. :black101:

Worst moment of this run: shooting JC at extreme range and having him summon an assload of Barons of Hell surrounding me.
Best moment of this run: shooting an Arch-Vile in the face, leveling up, and immediately assembling the VFBG and Hyperblaster and going on to clear Limbo without taking damage.

pre:
 ToxicFrog, level 10 Arch-Vile 1st Lieutenant Scout,
 defeated the Mastermind at the Hell Fortress.
 He survived 84915 turns and scored 100058 points. 
 He played for 3 hours, 10 minutes and 3 seconds. 
 He didn't like it too rough.

He killed 456 out of 456 hellspawn. (100%)
 This rear end-kicking marine killed all of them!
 He was an Angel of Max Carnage!
 He was also an Angel of Confidence!

-- Awards ----------------------------------------------------

Medal of Prejudice
  UAC Star (gold cluster)
  Angelic Badge
  Daredevil Silver Badge
  Destroyer Silver Badge

-- Traits ----------------------------------------------------

Class : Scout
  Int->Int->SoB->SoB->TH->MCe->Fin->Fin->WK->Jug->

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor      ]   Angelic Armor [3/7] (42%)
    [b] [ Weapon     ]   hyperblaster (2d4)x3 [24/40]
    [c] [ Boots      ]   plasteel boots [2/2] (100%) (A)
    [d] [ Prepared   ]   rocket box (x20)

-- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

[a] missile launcher (6d6) [6/6] (B2)
    [b] VBFG9000 (10d8) [90/150]
Full postmortem, ttyrec.

ChaseSP posted:

Using a fresh download of putty so dunno why this is happening. Any suggestions?

It's been well over a decade since I used PuTTY, and I no longer remember how it handles telnet at all. Is there any option not to send a username/password? What happens if you just leave it blank, or enter "help"?

Alternately you could wait until I get the web-based terminal working, but that is unlikely to happen until the weekend at the earliest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Nethack is a good game.

Nethack is a bad game.

Both of these things are true.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

ToxicFrog posted:

It's been well over a decade since I used PuTTY, and I no longer remember how it handles telnet at all. Is there any option not to send a username/password? What happens if you just leave it blank, or enter "help"?

Alternately you could wait until I get the web-based terminal working, but that is unlikely to happen until the weekend at the earliest.

What do you use for telnet stuff then?

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

IronicDongz posted:

quote:

roguelike fans who don't like Nethack . . . they've been trained to enjoy "mainstream" gaming first
:jerkbag:

Hahaha, christ. Fuckin roguelike casuals, go back to your quality-of-life kindergarten. Like if he hadn't specifically said "roguelike fans" I would have assumed he was sneering at stereotypical Halo Blops Dewbros, good lord

And this was written in 2007, before the present explosion of roguelites/"[genre] with roguelike elements." I guess Pokemon Mystery Dungeon really flipped his grognard switch??

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Hahaha, christ. Fuckin roguelike casuals, go back to your quality-of-life kindergarten. Like if he hadn't specifically said "roguelike fans" I would have assumed he was sneering at stereotypical Halo Blops Dewbros, good lord

And this was written in 2007, before the present explosion of roguelites/"[genre] with roguelike elements." I guess Pokemon Mystery Dungeon really flipped his grognard switch??

Nah he loves Mystery Dungeon, his best columns are about a playthrough of Shiren. He also likes Hyperrogue and Toejam and Earl lots of other non-Nethacky poo poo. I think he just gets annoyed by people making GBS threads on Nethack and went a bit overboard.

Dude's written several hundred pages of stuff about roguelikes, he's got a lot of good columns to his name.

Anyway I think he makes a useful point in that article -- Nethack for better or worse shows off its legacy from Rogue. Item ID, spoilers, and RNG brutality are all big parts of the game. It won't appeal to everyone but Nethack has cornered the market on esoteric item interactions and weird ways to die.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

These nerds have created programs that I've spent too many hours of my life in, and I thank you all for it.

Yeah seriously thanks so much, people. I've been hooked since Rogue (and boy does that make me feel old). It's wonderful to see so many greats brought together. It's also fascinating to think how many of these games are the work of so few people.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Play NetHack to gain an appreciation for all the hard work that goes into the complex and interesting mechanics and interactions it has.

Also play NetHack so you know how it actually feels to be killed by those interactions many times over, giving you a good base of knowledge on why you should not make your game like NetHack.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Nethack is basically a point and click adventure game in roguelike form.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ChaseSP posted:

What do you use for telnet stuff then?

The built in telnet command. Open konsole/gnome-terminal/xterm, adjust the font size so DoomRL will neatly fill the screen, telnet phobos.ancilla.ca 3666 and away it goes.

But I'm on Linux, so this probably doesn't help you. Windows stopped including the telnet command a few versions ago, and even if you install it the windows terminal emulator is infamously bad.

I still think you should see what happens if you enter nothing and/or garbage when PuTTY prompts you for the username and password.

Are there any windows users in the thread who play on the server? What do you use?

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Now that the dust has settled on ARRP 2016, some having made it(some nice surprises!) and some not quite at the least, here are some picks for especially nifty achievements and/or further projects you probably want to at least keep a lustful eye on:

IVAN got a rather nice update that paves the way for even more new content to come https://github.com/Attnam/ivan/releases

Zomia is now the foremost Roguelike beget by ankle injury AND featuring hopeful historical intrigue in ancient Yunnan https://github.com/globalcitizen/zomia

rng clrc is just a neat semi-classical RL some deterministic combat and other promising bits https://jan-rl.itch.io/rng-clrc-a-roguelike

Axu is "a graphical open-world roguelike, set on a distant prison colony planet. Inspired by Caves of Qud, Dwarf Fortress, ADOM, and Sil." and means it! https://cynapse077.itch.io/axu-rl

Rogue Effect is the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer based, yet single player, RL you never knew you always wanted that is very nearly there at last with a big v0.9
http://dowhilecompiling.blogspot.com/2016/09/arrp-2016-rogue-effect-v09-released.html

The Temple of Torment is rolling an ever mightier d20 these days still http://www.thetempleoftorment.net/

IBOL has thankfully returned with a classical, non-Shrapnel laden Super Project with The Curse of Yendor, with Android and Windows demos https://ibol17.itch.io/the-curse-of-yendor

Demon is more content loaded than ever, and Ferret is doubtlessly about to sup mightily upon the body of SMT IV http://demon.ferretdev.org/

I expect another really promising release any day now that didn't quite make it to ARRP that should be at least as awesome as the top tier of the above~

Also, none can know the soul of Nethack's madness until you venture beyond the veil of rationality into Diggr and Infinite Cave Adventure to see what it hath wrought on unsuspecting passerby in the night...

https://code.google.com/archive/p/diggr-roguelike/
http://dungeon.name/

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

thorsilver posted:

It won't appeal to everyone but Nethack has cornered the market on esoteric item interactions and weird ways to die.

IVAN is the best Nethacklike.

ExiledTinkerer posted:

IVAN got a rather nice update that paves the way for even more new content to come https://github.com/Attnam/ivan/releases

Oh my god what :stare:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

quote:

Players can sever ghost limbs, which subsequently disappear

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Slime posted:

Nethack is basically a point and click adventure game in roguelike form.

Specifically a Sierra point-and-click game with their bullshit puzzles where clicking the wrong pixel makes your head explode.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

ToxicFrog posted:

The built in telnet command. Open konsole/gnome-terminal/xterm, adjust the font size so DoomRL will neatly fill the screen, telnet phobos.ancilla.ca 3666 and away it goes.

But I'm on Linux, so this probably doesn't help you. Windows stopped including the telnet command a few versions ago, and even if you install it the windows terminal emulator is infamously bad.

I still think you should see what happens if you enter nothing and/or garbage when PuTTY prompts you for the username and password.

Are there any windows users in the thread who play on the server? What do you use?

PuTTY. A fresh install with default settings works fine, and the only thing I did was put in the destination/port and set it to Telnet.

It should look like this:

Edit: And I know it works, because I was watching you carry all the goddamn mods to make that hyperblaster/VBFG since before you even started taking Finesse.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Speaking of Nethack, some guy on 4chan just won a 14 conduct game as a Vampire Convict in Dynahack. https://scoreboard.xd.cm/conduct.all.html

Although to be fair dynahack keeps track of more conducts than vanilla nethack, and he didn't do pacifist or illiterate.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Oh hm. I put in the address including the port and had the default of 22 for the port. I'll try when I get home. Also putting in nothing didn't work.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ChaseSP posted:

Oh hm. I put in the address including the port and had the default of 22 for the port. I'll try when I get home. Also putting in nothing didn't work.

22 is (a) the wrong port for DoomRL, and (b) the default port for SSH connections, not telnet. It's trying to connect to my SSH server. SSH requires some sort of authentication, which is why it's prompting you.

Make sure you have the protocol set to "telnet" and not "ssh" and that the port is 3666 and not the default telnet port of 23.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I've downloaded IVAN, and I might even play it

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
IVAN is real cool. I never managed to get into nethack because i am a filthy casual who wants to reload when they die or whatever but for some reason IVAN grabbed me.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I think it's because IVAN has no pretense of being fair, so when you die to bullshit you can't really be mad

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!
I thought IVAN had been dead in the water for a very long time.

This, this is good news.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Agean90 posted:

I think it's because IVAN has no pretense of being fair, so when you die to bullshit you can't really be mad

Also IVAN's "depth" is less about a million individual nonsensical spoilery pun or "gotcha" interactions aimlessly piled in over time, and more about a million totally insane but tenuously logical and theoretically foreseeable interactions held together by the malevolently demented Rube Goldberg machine of its core mechanics. When surprising poo poo happens in IVAN, it's usually a hilarious chain reaction of flying limbs and death - like when your legs burn off because they're made of paper and you were levitating too close to an enemy who stepped on an unseen land mine.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Speaking of Nethack, some guy on 4chan just won a 14 conduct game as a Vampire Convict in Dynahack. https://scoreboard.xd.cm/conduct.all.html

Although to be fair dynahack keeps track of more conducts than vanilla nethack, and he didn't do pacifist or illiterate.

quote:

Comestibles
D - a blessed greased Hyper Futa Mare Dick named Gioiello del Sole

uhhhh what

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
remember to always set fruit="Hyper Futa Mare Dick" for good luck

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Gilok posted:

uhhhh what

What the fuuuuuuck :laffo:

I knew some of these Nethack variants were ridiculous and crass but jesus christ

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Nethack has an option to rename the "fruit" item. Instead of "slime mold" or "pizza" he named his... that.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

So Nethack, the game famous for having ways out of basically any situation and which is won regularly and consistently by good players is unfair and arbitrary

But IVAN, the impossible game that is famously murderous, is fine

You people are crazy :)

ToxicFrog, your server is cool, although it's laggy as hell since I'm in Europe. Is your server software Linux only?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

thorsilver posted:

So Nethack, the game famous for having ways out of basically any situation and which is won regularly and consistently by good players is unfair and arbitrary

It's a matter of stated intent and player expectations. IVAN explicitly wants you to die and considers any kind of victory to be a fluke, so if you play IVAN, you're buying into that antagonistic relationship with the game. Whereas NetHack is ostensibly a "reasonable" game that happens to be extremely hostile to newbies (generously defined as "anyone who has not read copious amounts of spoilers").

I mean, I'd get pissy too if I tried to play what I thought was Super Mario Bros. but actually turned out to be Super Meat Boy. There's nothing wrong with Super Meat Boy, but if you go into it thinking you're going to have a classic Nintendo-style platformer, you're going to get obliterated. And frustrated.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Agean90 posted:

IVAN is just totally 100% transparent; it hates you and wants you to suffer. You can't beat the game so it's more about losing in a spectacular way.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I tried IVAN. I lost my leg to a bear trap and then decided to eat the leg and then I prayed to a god and he gave me a new one made of expensive fabric. I've been playing for all of three or four minutes so far. It's off to a pretty good start I think.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

This is coming along nicely, I think.

thorsilver posted:

ToxicFrog, your server is cool, although it's laggy as hell since I'm in Europe. Is your server software Linux only?

It's only been tested on Linux. It might work on OSX if you install the dependencies. The closed caption support definitely only works on linux, since it relies on LD_LIBRARY_PATH trickery, but if OSX has an equivalent it would probably work there too with only minor changes to the server code.

It almost certainly won't work on Windows unless you run it in cygwin. It requires less, nano, ttyplay, ttytime, and reset, and it needs to be able to create symlinks.

If you want to try it out, you can download it from github; the bulk of the server is in Python, although you'll need a C compiler if you want to try the closed captions too.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

thorsilver posted:

Nah the difference is that IVAN is actually entertaining :smug:

For real though Nethack has not aged well at all imo. I forthrightly dislike it, but as an IVAN fan, I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't fully respect the rights of others to enjoy whatever old, bad game they please.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Nah the difference is that IVAN is actually entertaining :smug:

Case in point:

everythingWasBees posted:

I tried IVAN. I lost my leg to a bear trap and then decided to eat the leg and then I prayed to a god and he gave me a new one made of expensive fabric. I've been playing for all of three or four minutes so far. It's off to a pretty good start I think.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

thorsilver posted:

So Nethack, the game famous for having ways out of basically any situation

if you've read through an entire wiki to know what it is.

where as with ivan you go in expecting to die hiliarously, then you sit there as your banana flesh replacement arm tanks your damage like "well poo poo this is about what i expected"

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

nethack is a glorified puzzle game, and really the only feasible way to know something will happen is to either look it up or die to it

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Johnny Joestar posted:

nethack is a glorified puzzle game, and really the only feasible way to know something will happen is to either look it up or die to it
Or somehow decipher the cryptic-rear end loving hints the Oracle gives you. About a limited amount of topics which do not cover everything you'll need to know.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

A few bits of Roguelike dev news:

Armoured Commander 2 is still brewing slowly but surely. He's discarded a rigid turn system and has instead moved to time units of a sort. He's also continuing to refine the UI, including a listing of attack bonus/penalties and a chart showing the possible outcomes of the attack.

UnRealWorld meanwhile has put out a big post about the upcoming quest and expanded ritual/magic systems, and is aiming to have the next version out in October sometime. They've also made it into the Guinness Book of Gamer Records for being the video game that has received continuous support/development.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

:siren: DoomRL server update! :siren:

You can now play DoomRL in your browser.

Just click here, or follow the "play in your browser" link from the main page.

Source code, as always, available on github.

Note: this feature is a gruesome Rube Goldberg machine cobbled together from components I do not understand and can barely control. It may well explode. If it does, since DoomRL has no crash protection, your save file is gone. So you might not want to use it to finish the last few levels of your N! Ao666 game until it's been tested a bit more thoroughly.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ToxicFrog posted:

:siren: DoomRL server update! :siren:

You can now play DoomRL in your browser.

Just click here, or follow the "play in your browser" link from the main page.

Source code, as always, available on github.

Note: this feature is a gruesome Rube Goldberg machine cobbled together from components I do not understand and can barely control. It may well explode. If it does, since DoomRL has no crash protection, your save file is gone. So you might not want to use it to finish the last few levels of your N! Ao666 game until it's been tested a bit more thoroughly.

lol, that owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

These nerds have created programs that I've spent too many hours of my life in, and I thank you all for it.

Echoing this sentiment. Thank you; you few, you proud, you devoted crazy devs.