Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Walmart.com has a deal going on right now where if you buy a streaming device, they'll give you two months of Sling TV free for new subscribers (plus 3 specific Vudu movies). I believe they're giving away both Orange and Blue. A Chromecast qualifies, so it ends up being cheaper and you get a "free" Chromecast. They send the code immediately through email after the order, so I plan to activate it Sunday.

Edit: Worked like a charm. Got Sling Blue and Orange for free for two months, had to pay just $20 for the Sports package with Redzone. I think I actually prefer the Sling interface to the Vue interface on the Roku 3.

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Sep 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

This might not help you, but I thought i'd share. If you're a student you can buy NFL Sunday Ticket for the reduced price of $100, and they throw game pass at your for another $50. It doesn't include post season games, but everything else and red zone are included. I did have to provide a piece of official documentation with my name on it before they let me have the price though. https://nflst.directv.com/student

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Is there a good primer for cord cutting? I looked around a bit and found ideas but no hard data about cost comparisons and whatnot. When I last looked into it, I got the impression that by the time I paid for ala carte services + DVR, I wouldn't be saving much money but would drastically increase my inconvenience. I could probably get by with the main networks over antenna + some kind of DVR but I would want a few of the other channels like AMC, Syfy, BBCA, probably a couple others.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I don't think there is a good primer for cord cutting, it's just the priorities that make sense for you. Between Vue, Netflix, Prime, HBO Now and TiVo honestly I don't think I save much if any money off my old cable subscription, I do think the content I pay for and get has way, way more value to me than the money I was paying for a bunch of poo poo channels on Time Warner that I was never going to watch with their lovely cable box and I own all the hardware and can jettison any subscription service whenever I want without penalty. Like I just paused HBO Now during the Last Week Tonight/Veep hiatus.

It's all about utility, Playstation Vue covers 99% of what I subscribed to TWC TV for at about half the cost, I've chosen just to plow that cost savings into other media subscriptions that have more value to me than their lovely DVR.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Ah, well that confirms my suspicions. I'm not unhappy with the service I have now but would prefer to pay less money. I'm only willing to pay so much for television and I'm fast approaching that limit especially since there will no doubt be another price increase come January. Right now I have Dish, Netflix, and Prime. Dish is the one I'd like to drop.

Looking at Sling right now and $40/mo would get me the channels I want plus locals as long as I get Orange. That seems suspiciously cheap for all those channels.

Vue looks a little more complicated, I'll have to make a list of channels I want.

We need flexibility, maybe days or weeks after something airs before we watch it. With Sling it looks like flexibility is limited for many channels. Not sure about Vue.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Vue has a 28 day unlimited cloud DVR with app logins for almost all of their channels, Sling has limited on demand access in their own app and no app logins.

If DVR is a priority at all don't consider Sling, it's a streaming service, not a cloud DVR.

I've used both services over several platforms several times and I honestly don't know why Sling seems to be so popular given the limited price differential between Vue given the functionality besides that maybe Sling subscribers don't have a device to activate Vue on?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Anyone know of Roku 2s have known problems with buffering? Ours has to load at least once overt ten minutes with MLBtv but my wife's tablet streams it no problem. Sane network both wireless sane time of day etc. we tested it tonight one after the other with the sane stream. Roku buffet buffet buffet, iPad worked fine, back to roku for buffet fun.

It's getting old so I'm open to it being dying hardware.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Well I've been hearing about Sling for a year at least. I heard about Vue yesterday, on reddit. That probably explains the discrepancy.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Three Olives posted:

Vue has a 28 day unlimited cloud DVR with app logins for almost all of their channels, Sling has limited on demand access in their own app and no app logins.

I know I just need to try the free trial and that would answer my questions but if I understand ... with Sling you mostly have to watch when it airs and with Vue I have 28 days to watch any episode but have to log into every channel separately. Makes both sound like a big pain in the rear end.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

wormil posted:

I know I just need to try the free trial and that would answer my questions but if I understand ... with Sling you mostly have to watch when it airs and with Vue I have 28 days to watch any episode but have to log into every channel separately. Makes both sound like a big pain in the rear end.

No, Sling is streaming only, no DVR, has limited on demand in their app. Vue has a 28 day cloud DVR but you have to record the show just like you would with any DVR. It also gives you app access so you can log into CNN mobile or Comedy Central or whatever app on your phone and watch live/on demand out of the house. It also has on demand in the app like Sling.

Basically Vue is a full DVR, just in the cloud, it acts exactly like a cable company DVR with on demand/recordings, etc.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Three Olives posted:

No, Sling is streaming only, no DVR, has limited on demand in their app. Vue has a 28 day cloud DVR but you have to record the show just like you would with any DVR. It also gives you app access so you can log into CNN mobile or Comedy Central or whatever app on your phone and watch live/on demand out of the house. It also has on demand in the app like Sling.

Basically Vue is a full DVR, just in the cloud, it acts exactly like a cable company DVR with on demand/recordings, etc.

How is the interface with Vue? Easy to find programming? For live broadcasts do they have some sort of grid / channel guide like cable boxes do?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

wormil posted:

Is there a good primer for cord cutting? I looked around a bit and found ideas but no hard data about cost comparisons and whatnot. When I last looked into it, I got the impression that by the time I paid for ala carte services + DVR, I wouldn't be saving much money but would drastically increase my inconvenience. I could probably get by with the main networks over antenna + some kind of DVR but I would want a few of the other channels like AMC, Syfy, BBCA, probably a couple others.

I started here. http://www.cutcabletoday.com/

As for inconvenience, ever since killing satellite and doing my setup my TV viewing experience is so much better than before. I'll never go back. Here's what I got:

2 Roku sticks
Amazon Fire
Amazon prime (had it already for shipping so it's kinda free to me)
Ad free Hulu
Netflix
Plex and a bunch of nerd channels like Smithsonian
Antenna for locals

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

Anyone know of Roku 2s have known problems with buffering? Ours has to load at least once overt ten minutes with MLBtv but my wife's tablet streams it no problem. Sane network both wireless sane time of day etc. we tested it tonight one after the other with the sane stream. Roku buffet buffet buffet, iPad worked fine, back to roku for buffet fun.

I have an older Roku 2XS and I haven't had that issue (although I don't use MLB.TV).

If it's at all possible I'd try connecting it wired temporarily and seeing if that issue continues. That would narrow it down at least.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Annual Prophet posted:

How is the interface with Vue? Easy to find programming? For live broadcasts do they have some sort of grid / channel guide like cable boxes do?

Yes it has a grid guide but the interface is mostly highly visual with a focus on discovery and thumbnails. I personally would prefer just a chronological list of DVRed shows but seeing as everyone is moving to wards this style guide, even TiVo who has largely resisted it I assume I am in the minority when it comes to market testing.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I feel like DVR is kind of obsolete at this point- the only things I imagine using it for are things I can't stream like NFL games or award shows or something.

Buying stuff on Amazon/iTunes/google is likely more cost effective unless you're watching a ton of stuff.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
DVR Is great for having an impatient toddler. 34 recorded episodes of paw patrol, 16 Sesame Street, and 12 super why.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The pbs kids app is free and has an absolute poo poo ton of pbs children's programming.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Except the pbs kids app has only 4 full episodes of each show at a time. And the episodes are abridged so they're shorter than their broadcast versions.

I like the PBS Kids app but when you have a toddler, variety is the spice of life.

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

For what it's worth, my Chromecast gags horribly on MLB.tv, but does just fine with every other application I've put on it, and phone/ tablet/ laptop/ desktop are all fine on the same connection.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Thwomp posted:

I like the PBS Kids app but when you have a toddler, variety is the spice of life.

You must have a strange toddler; IME they DGAF if they watch the same episode of their favorite show over and over again.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Agreed. My son loving LOVES the PBS kids app. Superwhy! is a constant and the dude just watches the same episodes over and over again until the next week when new ones pop up and then I get to learn all about Tilden the caterpillar or whatever poo poo needs to get stuck in my head for that week. Repetitive? If the dude gets a hold of the remote I have to listen to the theme song 10 times before I snap and take it away and make him finish the episode.

Also, I have a boatload of stuff in a folder titled "For The Kids" on my Plex server.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The Youtube Kids app is great for ... wait for it ... kids.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Croatoan posted:

Agreed. My son loving LOVES the PBS kids app. Superwhy! is a constant and the dude just watches the same episodes over and over again until the next week when new ones pop up and then I get to learn all about Tilden the caterpillar or whatever poo poo needs to get stuck in my head for that week. Repetitive? If the dude gets a hold of the remote I have to listen to the theme song 10 times before I snap and take it away and make him finish the episode.

Also, I have a boatload of stuff in a folder titled "For The Kids" on my Plex server.

I can understand the repetition being obnoxious, but let's be fair. The Super Why theme song is pretty legit, especially the brass section.

I'm just really happy that my toddler got disinterested in Sesame Street (which is pretty much the Elmo and Abby show these days :mad:), because those voices just grate on me.

I sometimes watch football over the air, and using a DVR to skip around and watch the entire game in 30 minutes is pretty much the only reason I would use a DVR.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
It's been in my head since I made my post. Super readers saved the day again I guess.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Thermopyle posted:

The Youtube Kids app is great for ... wait for it ... kids.

Youtube kids on a fire HD is good for hours and hours of entertainment. I still get ads despite having youtube red but not sure if that is due to being sideloaded on an amazon device or it doesn't apply to YT kids.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

There is still weird stuff on the yt kids app. My kids love the "unwrapping" videos.

Why a 3 yo is fascinated by watching an adult slowly unwrap small collectible toys, is beyond me.

(But yes, there is endless content on YouTube)

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

angryrobots posted:

There is still weird stuff on the yt kids app. My kids love the "unwrapping" videos.

Why a 3 yo is fascinated by watching an adult slowly unwrap small collectible toys, is beyond me.

My kids used to watch the Toy Scouter videos where he just took toys out of a playdough covered easter egg and described each one. It made no sense to me.

Now they've upgraded to the Toy Scouter videos where they dress up in bad superhero costumes and run around a park or the dude's house.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

angryrobots posted:

Man tell me about it. Unboxing videos hold zero interest to me but little dude LOVES watching unboxing videos of toys and especially McDonald's happy meal toys and reviews. I had the regular youtube app where he could get to it but with parental controls on but I had to put a stop to that. Some people (I'm assuming tweens with basic video editing software) make the weirdest mash up videos of PBS intros and the like. poo poo was so weird and bizarre I deleted the app because he'd sit there and watch the same 30 second video over and over and spaz out.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

angryrobots posted:

I actually uninstalled the YT kids app because I was freaking tired of hearing adults talk to my kid about unwrapping toys. gently caress that poo poo.

It's a decent app, but I wish it had more options for me to control the selection.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Thermopyle posted:

I actually uninstalled the YT kids app because I was freaking tired of hearing adults talk to my kid about unwrapping toys. gently caress that poo poo.

It's a decent app, but I wish it had more options for me to control the selection.

Yeah, that's where I ended up too. Enough other good kids content out there that's they don't need to watch a bunch of weirdos, that can wait until they are older.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

WhyteRyce posted:

Now they've upgraded to the Toy Scouter videos where they dress up in bad superhero costumes and run around a park or the dude's house.

Are those the videos where Elsa and Spider-Man are living together? My nieces watch those and they freak me the gently caress out. They used to watch the unwrapping videos, so maybe that's how they found them.

Edit: not that the poo poo on Xfinity On Demand is much better...

Uthor fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 21, 2016

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The 3 yo watched 30 minutes of people filling up different pez dispensers, and was completely fascinated.

Yeah idgi

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Everyone in this thread has watched a Let's Play of a game their parents wouldn't buy them 20 years ago.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Uthor posted:

Are those the videos where Elsa and Spider-Man are living together? My nieces watch those and they freak me the gently caress out. They used to watch the unwrapping videos, so maybe that's how they found them.

Edit: not that the poo poo on Xfinity On Demand is much better...

Yeah, Elsa living with Spiderman, Spiderman breaking his arm, Joker stealing an egg from Batman, Spiderman and Venom fighting over an egg before they unwrap it.

The only reason why I figure they make them is that they need to keep cranking out content for hits and toy manufacturers aren't shipping them samples fast enough

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

Everyone in this thread has watched a Let's Play of a game their parents wouldn't buy them 20 years ago.

Nope. Watching other people play games is terrible.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Thermopyle posted:

The better ones are basically podcasts with a video game happening in the background, frequently talking about drat near anything but what's going on in the game.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

How far do I need to push this to get a fresh custom title? I don't even like Let's Plays but this one's getting old.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

How far do I need to push this to get a fresh custom title? I don't even like Let's Plays but this one's getting old.

I dunno, I didn't give you the one you have.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I dunno, I didn't give you the one you have.

Really?? Who the gently caress...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

My kids figured out how to reinstall youtube on the roku, which sucks because I'm going to have to replace it with something else.

I went downstairs and they were watching Asian Pregnant Elsa seeing Dr Spiderman who took an ultrasound that showed her womb was full of bugs.

I just took the powercord and left.