Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What's TAY?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The After Years

FF4 sequel that is dumb and grindy.

And dumb.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
To elaborate: it's the epitome of 'what happens when an internet fanfic about a game that someone really likes get made into a sequel for that game.' Tons of copied plot beats. Interesting new mechanics wasted. The reason it takes great stamina to use the Devils Road because said Devils Road is a teleporter maze (that you naturally have to go through manually rather than watching a series of overworld pans.) An insulting use of 'Huh.'

Unlike this game, which is good and fun and has tons of neat little details like: holy cow, I never knew you could change Carbuncle's buff by equipping a gem in Eiko's accessory slot (I did wonder why you could do so but I never used carbuncle while experimenting.)

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Mega64 posted:

37 Potions
In a row!?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Bufuman posted:

In a row!?

Alexandria needs to post a sign saying "We assure you; we're open"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Digging in Chocobo's Lagoon is probably the thing that keeps me from digging up all of these treasures too early.

When you first get there and you only have 30 seconds to dig up those really deep items, it takes a good while before Choco's Beak levels up enough to pick up the slack.

Fister Roboto posted:

I've only Meteor once and never again. It's garbage. Why would you ever use it when you have more reliable options available?

It sure is nice to see the spell burn up every time you use it, only for the enemy to cast it with 100% success. :argh:

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

kalonZombie posted:

If you keep up with Chocobo Hot and Cold, this is the point where the game just rolls on its back and shows its belly in submission.

EDIT: One time I was at a Gamestop, and I saw the art book for FF9. I asked my mom if I could get it. She said it was a waste of her money and I should get the book that tells you how to beat the game instead.

I still have yet to forgive her for this.

Please tell me you got the chance to tell her why she was so, so wrong. And still do so to this day.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I remember that Ocean chocograph, I probably combed through the entire ocean looking for it. Plus I probably didn't know what "reef" meant at the time.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Chocobo's Lagoon is really the best place to dig and get points for the top H&C prizes. The place is so constrained that it's really easy to find the general area of items, and once Choco's beak is leveled a bit it doesn't take long to dig stuff up. Eventually I can consistently get so many items that Mene makes me stop digging, resulting in huge time bonuses. The other digging areas totally suck by comparison.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The forest with the mountain ability is the worst. Going up and down the hills wastes time, you have to actually be on top of them to check for treasure, and you can accidentally go up or down if you're not careful.

Wortpine
Oct 4, 2013

Kanfy posted:

I remember that Ocean chocograph, I probably combed through the entire ocean looking for it. Plus I probably didn't know what "reef" meant at the time.

Last time I played through FFIX I searched that treasure with the help of an FAQ and it still took me something around 10 minutes to find the exact spot. The stuff on the early disc 3 chocographs are so drat good that I never can resist the urge to grind the minigame to find them. :getin:

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
seeing Chocobo Lagoon again is giving me game-PTSD
but it was sooooo fun

NeruVolpi
Apr 23, 2016
I never knew you could do all this looting at this early in the game.

For those who don't know, we are pretty overpowered right now. Zidane and the knights still have some ways to go, but our mages are almost full top tier, specially regarding skills.

I wonder if the chocographs have so much vivi usable stuff cuz he likes chocobos :unsmith:

Edit: using the full aloha set should change battle music to the chocobo theme. :colbert:

NeruVolpi fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Sep 21, 2016

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

So fun fact: In the original version of the game, you could actually continue Choco's sidequest past where Mega64 stopped, progressing Choco to his next level of mobility, and enabling you to sequence break and skip basically half of the rest of Disc 3. This was fixed in the US version, but there's a small bit of errata that remains; Mene doesn't tell you you've gotten all the Chocographs once you hit the new stopping point for where we are in the plot progression, meaning every time I replay this game I inevitably waste a half hour digging up useless crap in the Lagoon.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
No Mercy (or Wave Fist if you're thinking in FFT terms) was the skill that cemented Amarant in my party as a kid. Along with his huge bag of tricks, he has this no frills attached heavy damage attack. He might not hit as hard as Zidane with a maxed Thievery, or Freya with her strongest skill capped out, or Steiner with his end game skills, but he doesn't have to grind up to get those skills maxed, or pay exorbitant MP costs to do so.

Also the Dragon Claw looks badass.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Also it's a Hadouken. Hell yeah, Amarant.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Heaven Spacey posted:

So fun fact: In the original version of the game, you could actually continue Choco's sidequest past where Mega64 stopped, progressing Choco to his next level of mobility, and enabling you to sequence break and skip basically half of the rest of Disc 3. This was fixed in the US version, but there's a small bit of errata that remains; Mene doesn't tell you you've gotten all the Chocographs once you hit the new stopping point for where we are in the plot progression, meaning every time I replay this game I inevitably waste a half hour digging up useless crap in the Lagoon.

there's a screenshot of Mene telling Mega that he's out of chocographs to dig up, and I'm almost positive (though not going to play 15 hours of the game now to check) that this was there on the original PSX version

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

morallyobjected posted:

there's a screenshot of Mene telling Mega that he's out of chocographs to dig up, and I'm almost positive (though not going to play 15 hours of the game now to check) that this was there on the original PSX version

:psyduck: I've played FF9 to completion like five times (US PS1 version) and I swear I've never seen Mene say this.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Heaven Spacey posted:

:psyduck: I've played FF9 to completion like five times (US PS1 version) and I swear I've never seen Mene say this.

to be fair, I play it in some kind of Zen state and often play about 5 rounds before I notice he's saying it, but it's definitely always been there, as far as I know

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Krumbsthumbs posted:

No Mercy (or Wave Fist if you're thinking in FFT terms) was the skill that cemented Amarant in my party as a kid. Along with his huge bag of tricks, he has this no frills attached heavy damage attack. He might not hit as hard as Zidane with a maxed Thievery, or Freya with her strongest skill capped out, or Steiner with his end game skills, but he doesn't have to grind up to get those skills maxed, or pay exorbitant MP costs to do so.

Also the Dragon Claw looks badass.

No Mercy is really great for random encounters. For bosses it's usually better to use normal attacks with MP Attack and a Killer ability, but for random encounters where you can't be certain what the enemy's type will be, you can't go wrong with a no-questions-asked 1.7x multiplier. And it's great against high defense enemies because the bonus gets applied before defense, unlike the bonuses to normal attacks.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Normally, Mene will have a separate text prompt after you find the last Chocograph, telling you there's no more there. For the second lagoon set, there is no such prompt, but instead Mene tells you this whenever you try to play again, so it's easy to miss if you just spam X to play as usual.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Digging in Chocobo's Lagoon is probably the thing that keeps me from digging up all of these treasures too early.

When you first get there and you only have 30 seconds to dig up those really deep items, it takes a good while before Choco's Beak levels up enough to pick up the slack.

It sure is nice to see the spell burn up every time you use it, only for the enemy to cast it with 100% success. :argh:

I know which enemy you, me and everyone else is thinking of

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

It never clicked with me that this is why I remember FFIX being far too easy a game. I never consciously realized just how out of place the equipment you can get with Hot and Cold is.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Yeah, as someone who completely neglected it during his first playthrough, the difficulty is definitely a step up without it. Still never exactly difficult, but there's a difference

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gnoman posted:

It never clicked with me that this is why I remember FFIX being far too easy a game. I never consciously realized just how out of place the equipment you can get with Hot and Cold is.

This is still why I think they paced the H&C game wrong. It is all clumped up, with the majority of the treasures being gated only but getting the boat. While for the most part it is easier to do when you get the airship, but it is not especially hard (maybe just a bit time sinky) to get the good stuff really disproportionately early.

Although, it is really amazing to have powerhouse magic users before the halfway point of disk 3.

I'm not sure exactly how else they could have spread it out, but maybe putting some of the major items behind hot-pepper barriers so that, in a first runthrough, you have more of a chance of getting to it through the actual progression of the game. It may be the one thing I think wasn't executed properly, but it's not in of itself that big of a flaw. And, granted, I'm sure there some incredibly wrong people out there who don't like CH&C and will never see some of these items until near endgame.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It's kinda balanced by the fact that it's a major timesink and it's completely out of your way. There is no point where you are required to go to Chocobo's Forest. I also don't think the developers intended it to be as addicting as it is.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I also don't think the developers intended it to be as addicting as it is.

So that explains FF10's minigames...

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
"You remember how everyone loved Chocobo Hot and Cold?"
"Yeah"
"Let's do the exact opposite of that"

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I didnt even have Meteor on my first playthrough
I thought the Ga-spells were the peak of magic power

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DeafNote posted:

I didnt even have Meteor on my first playthrough
I thought the Ga-spells were the peak of magic power

oh you poor child
cant even flare some poor random encounters :(

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
after I learned that Comet and Meteor could miss, I never used them again. there's no reason, with Flare around

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Mega64 posted:

The last spot we'll access basically meets the arc of the two peninsulas sticking out the northern shores of the Lost and Outer Continents.

This one was always a massive bitch to find on my TV. I could never see the bubbles. You couldn't make the effect more distinctive, Square?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You do still have to get the AP to lock all these active abilities in, though I wasn't keeping track of slots, precisely. How much of this turbo-rare gear doubles up on slots?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

A couple passive abilities might have double slots (Light Robe and Protect Ring both teach Half MP, Black Robe and Rosetta Ring both teach Reflectx2), but that's rare for the end-game passive and even rarer for action abilities. So many of these are AP sinks, though we also got them much earlier than the game expects you to so we'll have time to grind the AP, plus everyone should know Ability Up by now which doubles the AP rate (and you better believe I'll leave it equipped on all of my characters until I no longer need it), plus there's still a few sources of large AP gains available (stumbled upon another friendly animal randomly while recording the update, so with Ability Up I got 80AP on my party, which is not bad at all). I expect to have every ability mastered for every character by the end of the game just because.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Mastering Long Reach for all four physical members is gonna be a pain. That's about 200 AP for each of them (Zidane learns it for only 170).

The most expensive ability is High Tide for Quina (250 AP), but since that's on all his/her forks, you're always learning it. Same goes for Amarant's Counter (240 AP).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Long Reach also costs 17 stones or something obscene like that, which is more than poo poo like Auto-Life. And that's almost solely for attacking for full damage from the back row, since as far as I remember only the game's super boss and maybe a couple other enemies can be out of reach, and there's a way to nullify that for the super boss anyway.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
If Long Reach wasn't so drat expensive it might have uses. As it is, by the time it comes around, everyone has better alternatives to attack from the back row with. Unless (and I don't see why this would be the case) Steiner's Sword Arts are affected by row.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You going to have a full list of Passives, Mega?

'cause while I think I got most or all of the active abilities for my parties (except amarant and quina, who I barely ever used unless obliged) I could NEVER get a single persons passive skills list maxed.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

It's kinda balanced by the fact that it's a major timesink and it's completely out of your way. There is no point where you are required to go to Chocobo's Forest. I also don't think the developers intended it to be as addicting as it is.

It's also the music for it, let's face it. It's got one of the best tracks in the game going while you play it (and this time with a somewhat more forgiving mini-game, too), so I think they underestimated just what a recipe for "Just one more hunt and holy crap is it really three in the morning already?" they put together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

If Long Reach wasn't so drat expensive it might have uses. As it is, by the time it comes around, everyone has better alternatives to attack from the back row with. Unless (and I don't see why this would be the case) Steiner's Sword Arts are affected by row.

The only thing that gets affected by row is the Attack command. It's kind of silly.

• Locked thread