Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

How do you restrict human meat meals to prisoners? Will your colonists choose meals made from non-humans over meals made from humans or something?

I don't think colonists can make any decisions based on what ingredients are in a meal. You'd have to do it by only making a specific type of meal using human meat then putting a stockpile of those meals near or in the prison. Or just make a raw human meat stockpile in the prison and set your prisoners to no food.

Realistically it's not good prisoner food unless you're trying to recruit a cannibal, if you want to recruit them the mood penalties from it would make it take longer and if you don't want to recruit them why not just let them go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dire Lemming posted:

I don't think colonists can make any decisions based on what ingredients are in a meal. You'd have to do it by only making a specific type of meal using human meat then putting a stockpile of those meals near or in the prison. Or just make a raw human meat stockpile in the prison and set your prisoners to no food.

Realistically it's not good prisoner food unless you're trying to recruit a cannibal, if you want to recruit them the mood penalties from it would make it take longer and if you don't want to recruit them why not just let them go?

Sorry, I think you're in the wrong thread. This is the one for Sadism Simulator.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Hey guys, I want to know how to forcefeed my captives their own friends and watch them scream out in horror....

You know, from a mechanical standpoint I just want to know if it can be done.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
mortars are hilarious holy poo poo

i have 4 of them of each type rocking my base and anyone who doesn't show up and immediately assault gets a big faceful of explosive and incendiary shells

the last tribal assault had 2 dead and 1 in shock from shredded torso and arms with a cracked skull and spine from the first salvo, and the others caught on fire from the incendiaries. it loving owned.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
It's fine to feed human meat to prisoners and to extract organs from them, but having a vat grown sex slave backstory in the game is just a little too far, guys.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Baby's first settlement:

Having fun so far. Waiting for it all to come crashing down on my head. My little "pillboxes" proved not as good as I hoped. The one raider I've had so far just ran up to it while my gals missed their first shots and everyone basically did this over the sandbag for a couple minutes:

http://i.imgur.com/BOH4ple.gifv

Is there a ditch I can dig in front of my sandbags to prevent the raiders from just walking right up to them? Razorwire? A white picket fence? Actually can characters just walk over sandbags? I thought I saw one of my gals do it while looting the dead raider.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Is there a ditch I can dig in front of my sandbags to prevent the raiders from just walking right up to them? Razorwire? A white picket fence? Actually can characters just walk over sandbags? I thought I saw one of my gals do it while looting the dead raider.

Characters can indeed hop over sandbags. Most people usually surround their colony with walls with one entry/exit so they can concentrate their defenses together.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I built my base with its back against a mountain for security. Turns out this isn't as effective as I'd hoped, a group of sappers raided me and walked up to the back of the mountain and started digging. I kinda assumed that sappers would pick a weak point to start digging towards your base so I was a bit surprised that they tried this, until after digging a few blocks they revealed a whole hidden area inside the mountain that lead right up to the walls of the rooms I'd dug into the mountain.

Anyone else had this happen? I'm not sure how often mountains have huge hidden areas inside them but knowing that this can happen makes building rooms inside a mountain seem like a bad idea.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

yoloer420 posted:

They seem to path around them as long as it's not too far out of their way. I just make sure to leave a tile between them.

Yeah, as long as there's a path through them (empty diagonals work just as well too actually, colonists will zig-zag them) you won't have to worry about them tripping them accidentally unless they go to retrieve an item that has fallen into one.

Yeah, I've lost a few that have done that. Still worth it, especially when raiders have to run through it again on their way out and seem to trigger them much more often in their panic.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Spakstik posted:

Is mortar accuracy tied to colonists' shooting ability?

I always thought so but I found this:

quote:

Accuracy for mortars is 79% - 42% - 18% - 6% for all of the mortars across the board, with a 16 tile forced miss radius.

I don't know how many tiles is considered short/medium/long, but I can pretty safely say that you'll only be engaging targets from a medium to long range (18% or 6%). At those sorts of accuracy, you're really relying more on luck than anything else - being skilled will help slightly, but the miss radius means that you have a very low chance to hit directly anyway (since it must land within a radius of 16 tiles no matter what, sometimes you could just happen to hit the right tile despite it being a miss).

Even if you 100%'d the accuracy on mortars, I'm actually almost positive that the miss chance per tile based on shooting skill will almost always be maxed out. (Even the most skilled shooters still get around a 1% miss chance per tile, while the worst shooters can get around 15% miss chance per tile).

So in theory: Mortars are pure luck. I'll mess around with the code to see if I can prove anything I said, but I think it's very likely for most of the above to be true (I could still be totally wrong though).

I go for World War I-style quantity over quality myself. If I get my two prisoners recruited I'll be firing every 12 seconds or so.

After every use, sit a colonist in the mortar and wait for the 'firing in xx.x seconds' thing to go away and you can just sling a barrage at threats at soon as they appear.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
"Manhunter pack of muffalo"

Oh ok I guess I'll be able to handle eight of these with my defens-Oh there's 20 :stare:

Upside, I now have something upwind of 3500 meat.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Seriously, how on earth does 'release animals' work? It just doesn't seem to do anything.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
I think it was one of my very first games I tried to get a deadfall trap set up first thing because the previous game I got wrecked by a raid right off the bat.

So I get some walls up, pick a nice spot and start building the trap. THE SECOND it was finished, the pawn building it sets it off and dies instantly. I had done a tribal start, and of the three pets (2 dogs and a cat) two of them were bonded to that idiot and they both immediately snap. The dog that was bonded just wanders off sadly while the cat that was bonded goes on a homicidal rampage and proceeds to murder the other 4 guys.

I haven't touched the drat things since.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The one raider I've had so far just ran up to it while my gals missed their first shots and everyone basically did this over the sandbag for a couple minutes:

http://i.imgur.com/BOH4ple.gifv

Thank you for this.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Spakstik posted:

Is mortar accuracy tied to colonists' shooting ability?

No. Both Mortars and Miniguns have a "forced miss radius" which means that if your target is more than two tiles away, they entirely bypass any accuracy calculations and just hit a random tile within that radius.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

My mortars are turning me into Ocelot from Metal Gear Solid 3 when he became obsessed with how many shots he had without reloading by carrying extra revolvers around.

Seven mortars... that means I can fire every ten seconds!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

hey dude what's up with your art lately

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Loss.jpg edits in the 56th century are pretty weird.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

ZearothK posted:

I played Evil Genius, so I never built traps because minions are a lot more expendable than colonists.

But setting up silly chains of traps in that game was the best thing about it.

Fan, pressure pad, fan, pressure pad, fan, pressure pad, popup guy, drop cage...

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Set up a dump zone for rubble (from mining) and it will slow down anyone who has to walk over the rocks.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Chalks posted:

Anyone else had this happen? I'm not sure how often mountains have huge hidden areas inside them but knowing that this can happen makes building rooms inside a mountain seem like a bad idea.

Many colonies end with the first exploratory dig into a mountain revealing cryosleep capsules or old mechanoids. Hives also serve to discourage the mountain turtle.

Tristesse posted:

I haven't touched the drat things since.

I had a colony go into a depression cycle over the death of someone on their own trap. Never again.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

IAmTheRad posted:

It's fine to feed human meat to prisoners and to extract organs from them, but having a vat grown sex slave backstory in the game is just a little too far, guys.

rape is a very specific button that a lot of people, even ones who are otherwise strong-stomached, don't really like to see pushed by their entertainment, sorta like dog/child death (though to a greater extent than that)

if you really want to get into it: we're probably just waaaaaay more desensitized to regular violence because it's been more of a fixture in media for a lot of our lives. your average goon probably grew up on Aliens and Robocop and Evil Dead 2 and etc, but probably did not grow up on I Spit on Your Grave and The Accused.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Chalks posted:

I built my base with its back against a mountain for security. Turns out this isn't as effective as I'd hoped, a group of sappers raided me and walked up to the back of the mountain and started digging. I kinda assumed that sappers would pick a weak point to start digging towards your base so I was a bit surprised that they tried this, until after digging a few blocks they revealed a whole hidden area inside the mountain that lead right up to the walls of the rooms I'd dug into the mountain.

Building rooms into mountains isn't supposed to be a good idea. Tynan's vision.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Squeegy posted:

Building rooms into mountains isn't supposed to be a good idea. Tynan's vision.

Never stops me. That mortar-proof core is always useful.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

New research idea: Automated Mortars :getin:

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
I know he's said that, but he doesn't seem to be very good at following it... pretty sure he keeps adding upsides to mountain bases faster than downsides.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Setting a stockpile of stone chunks up against your outdoors power generation seems op, no?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Setting up rubble on the approach to your turrets is brilliant, I'll be doing that as soon as I'm back to a mortar per colonist. Sandbags just weren't doing it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

come at me you little bitch

:supaburn:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sorry, you missed the perfect opportunity for "Smile you son of a... *BOOM*" ala Jaws.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
mining drills are such hot garbage, my god

I spend all this time researching drills and scanning, which take forever, and then I have to build the scanner which is both steel and component expensive, and also annoyingly micromanagement heavy because you want to turn it off whenever not using it since it eats so much power, and then once I've done all that I need to place drills over patches of ground that have veins... except I don't know what's in which, so I need to place the drill to even get to check if it's something I want... and repeatedly, it's not, and drills can't be reinstalled, so I have to deconstruct the drill(losing steel and components in the process) and build it all over again. and I gotta hook it up to power, and colonists will stop prioritizing drilling after a short period of time so if there's anything higher priority to them they'll just gently caress off in the middle of drilling(ps: drilling is lower priority than normal mining, so good luck doing both at once)

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Drilling owns. I have 8000+ plasteel.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

IronicDongz posted:

hey dude what's up with your art lately

In my last game my artist was a night owl so it was just pretty much him and the cleaning robots alone in a quiet base. His art slowly changed from hunting anecdotes and surgeries to a neverending series of paintings of naked robots.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Maybe DF spoiled me, but I wish I could specify the skills of my starting dudes and maybe what stuff we bring with us via some kind of points system like Dwarf Fortress.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Maybe DF spoiled me, but I wish I could specify the skills of my starting dudes and maybe what stuff we bring with us via some kind of points system like Dwarf Fortress.

Get the Prepare Carefully mod! It's not balanced though

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

my dipsshits just outright stopped sowing plants. Sure will plant seeds but gently caress all harvesting. Any ideas? Cant even click on plants to force their hand. No mods.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Junkie Disease posted:

my dipsshits just outright stopped sowing plants. Sure will plant seeds but gently caress all harvesting. Any ideas? Cant even click on plants to force their hand. No mods.

Change your cut plant prority. Grow is for planting, cut is for harvesting

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Walton Simons posted:

Seriously, how on earth does 'release animals' work? It just doesn't seem to do anything.

If the animals are with you when you click it they'll go and attack. They won't come from ages away and do it, only if they're following.
Usually it's a poo poo idea though. I have four elephants and I still don't get them to attack because it just means your colonists shoot them up.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

yoloer420 posted:

Change your cut plant prority. Grow is for planting, cut is for harvesting

:stare: I always assumed the 'cut plants' was solely for cutting trees and stuff that you designate and 'grow' was all growing-zone related stuff. Now I see why my colonists get obsessed with the greenhouse when the plants are fully grown.

Taear posted:

If the animals are with you when you click it they'll go and attack. They won't come from ages away and do it, only if they're following.
Usually it's a poo poo idea though. I have four elephants and I still don't get them to attack because it just means your colonists shoot them up.

Got it, thanks. I'll probably leave it and just call them inside when getting raided since they just love wandering between minigun fire and my base outside but seem pretty handy against drop pods.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Taear posted:

Create an extra animal area on each of your choke points, or just around a corner, assign your beasts of murder there when there is a raid and they will be in position to beast-fight. An elephant (or big cat, or bear, or wolf) can do a lot of damage, and better to lose one than a colonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

ZearothK posted:

Create an extra animal area on each of your choke points, or just around a corner, assign your beasts of murder there when there is a raid and they will be in position to beast-fight. An elephant (or big cat, or bear, or wolf) can do a lot of damage, and better to lose one than a colonist.

any training you do will override that crap unfortunately. when you draft the colonist, their animals form up on them and that is a serious problem in some cases; I would really prefer it if I could tell the animals to stay back or just stay away because a lot of them wander into my kill zones and get hit by stray bullets and poo poo.