Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Yeah... :wtf: Penn is the only guy I know who actually looks better by keeping the extra weight on. How does that even happen? :wtc:

If you rapidly lose a fuckload of weight you're going to look like poo poo for a while. Especially if you were a fat gently caress for decades. Being fat does also have the side effect of making your face look younger. It's a fat younger, but still younger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Yeah... :wtf: Penn is the only guy I know who actually looks better by keeping the extra weight on. How does that even happen? :wtc:

It's because he's got an immense frame, the guy is huge.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So the Germa is basically Shocker from Kamen Rider (who are basically Nazis) and we very well may have a karate bugman lookalike in this chapter. Also, I predict Reiju will help Sanji at some point, not out of altruism, but out of personal gain

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, after helping Luffy as well she strikes me as having a nice streak, a little like Robin when she was in Baroque Works.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Wait, wait, wait, Jesus Christ how did I just only think of this now:

Elbaf is 'fable' spelled backwards.

Usopp's dream is to go to Elbaf and become a brave warrior of the sea.

It's all just a giant pun because it'll be Usopp's biggest lie that ended up becoming true. :stare: :stonklol:

Oda, how do you do this poo poo?

The genius of the name "Usopp" doesn't get enough recognition. I like to believe that Oda just happened to think of the pun one day and the character just instantly wrote itself.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Sub Harrison posted:

After all the talk of vitamins and nutrients in these potatoes I fear the "secret cooking scrolls" from Okama Kingdom were just nutrition textbooks.
Well, all Ivankov had was "hormones".

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
^^Nothing how great a pun Usopp is.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Gyges posted:

If you rapidly lose a fuckload of weight you're going to look like poo poo for a while. Especially if you were a fat gently caress for decades. Being fat does also have the side effect of making your face look younger. It's a fat younger, but still younger.

Not trying to humblebrag, but I've gone from 220 lbs in April to 162 now and look and feel waaaay better than I did before. At least the psoriasis poo poo and stretch marks are going away and I think my relatively young age helps with that too.

Long term weight gain/maintenance is really, really bad, you guys!

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Not trying to humblebrag, but I've gone from 220 lbs in April to 162 now and look and feel waaaay better than I did before. At least the psoriasis poo poo and stretch marks are going away and I think my relatively young age helps with that too.

Long term weight gain/maintenance is really, really bad, you guys!

Very impressive dude, keep up the hard work!! :hai:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Well, technically acne and not psoriasis I guess, but you get the point. And thanks, buddy!^^ :hfive:

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan
Good work man! Ive been working out for a year but Im 33 so I havent lost weight (250) but I look good and feel suuuuuupah! Being tall helps.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

chefscientist posted:

Good work man! Ive been working out for a year but Im 33 so I havent lost weight (250) but I look good and feel suuuuuupah! Being tall helps.

If you are looking to lose weight but keep muscle, here's a great read: http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/how-to-lose-fat-without-losing-muscle/

The related articles linked in it are hood reads, too!

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Star Platinum posted:

The genius of the name "Usopp" doesn't get enough recognition. I like to believe that Oda just happened to think of the pun one day and the character just instantly wrote itself.

What pun is this?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Man with Hat posted:

What pun is this?

"Uso" can mean "a lie" or "incorrect" in Japanese.

Uso + Aesop.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Man with Hat posted:

What pun is this?

Usopp is a portmanteau of Aesop (as in, Aesop's Fables) and "uso", which is the Japanese word for "lie". Aesop was a storyteller whose stories (to my understanding) had an element of truth to them; Usopp, by contrast, tells stories that are obviously lies. Aesop's stories are also used as an example of how to live a moral life which, again, contrasts with Usopp, who is a pirate and thus not bound by morals.

Also, I wonder if the reason Elbaf is an island of giants is because giants are literally larger than life, which plays again into Usopp's whole character motif.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Thanks for clarifying that :)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Amazing

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I know who most of them are, just not the ones in Robin's and Chopper's places.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

My only problem with this is that Knuckles is nowhere as charming and amazing as Franky is.

Also, who the hell is the Robin stand-in?

Mraagvpeine posted:

I know who most of them are, just not the ones in Robin's and Chopper's places.
The one in Chopper's spot is Sally, IIRC. She was in the old Saturday morning cartoon back in the 90s. Never has shown up in the games, also.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

oda should be ashamed, but i'm not surprised

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

AradoBalanga posted:

My only problem with this is that Knuckles is nowhere as charming and amazing as Franky is.

That's not a problem since Knuckles is Sanji. Tails is Franky.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

Lord_Magmar posted:

That's not a problem since Knuckles is Sanji. Tails is Franky.

Except Knuckles is copying Franky's pose (fist bump) and Tails is copying Sanji's (the way they hold the drinks/wrench)

fluffykittys
Aug 22, 2016

I can't hear you over the sound of me licking my own anus.
Well, I mean, most of the characters aren't a perfect personality match, but it's still a great juxtaposition. I love it! Yay! <3
Though, I am wondering who the Robin proxy is? Is it an adaptation of Blaze, perhaps?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

http://mangastream.com/r/one_piece/840/3683/1

nu chap

[e]: Holy poo poo sanji

I still want him to completely one-sidedly wreck them at some point.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Sep 21, 2016

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

That is some hosed up poo poo.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

http://mangastream.com/r/one_piece/840/3683/1

nu chap

[e]: Holy poo poo sanji

I still want him to completely one-sidedly wreck them at some point.

I think that's Reiju confirmed as a basically decent soul. Most of the chapter could have gone either way, but that was a very fake smile she gave at the news of Sanji's apparent death.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
plus the whole "I'll be bullied too" thing.

Also, Sanji is literally the man in the iron mask. Kinda funny that Duval had that mask of his, now.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Captain Invictus posted:

Also, Sanji is literally the man in the iron mask. Kinda funny that Duval had that mask of his, now.

Oda does it again!!!

Oh man, I'm so excited to see what Sanji does next.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
There's no way this is going down without Sanji one sidedly wrecking all his dumbass super solder brothers, but I hope it doesn't take another year.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

plus the whole "I'll be bullied too" thing.

That could have been a lie to cover her own growing contempt for him, if she was being sent by his father to keep an eye on him just in case his potential started developing. That fake smile, on the other hand, was her showing that she cared for him when he couldn't see it, and a bunch of people who hated his guts could potentially have seen it.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I don't really think it's cool that Reiju is keeping her head down, and not sticking up for her runt brother. I'm surprised people think this is ok? But I guess that's pretty realistic. I think it's great from a narrative perspective, because it's a great contrast for people like Luffy, and why they're cool.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Space-Bird posted:

I don't really think it's cool that Reiju is keeping her head down, and not sticking up for her runt brother. I'm surprised people think this is ok? But I guess that's pretty realistic. I think it's great from a narrative perspective, because it's a great contrast for people like Luffy, and why they're cool.

She's been raised in the most terrifying family environment possible, and has seen what they did to the nail that did try sticking up. Sanji has the will to rebel because he got to escape and live and grow outside his father's empire in a series of positive, nurturing environments - first Baratie, and then the Straw Hats' wild ride. Frankly, even patching her brother up and offering him comfort and covert aid is pretty heroic, considering both the price of rebellion and that she was a literal child at the time.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
So I'm still not clear if the five of them are genetically upgraded biological kids of the father or if they were clones to begin with.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

M_Gargantua posted:

So I'm still not clear if the five of them are genetically upgraded biological kids of the father or if they were clones to begin with.

They're definitely his kids. Just also genetic freaks of science.

Also, Speak of the fuckin devil and he'll appear. Goddamn Vegapunk.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Darth Walrus posted:

She's been raised in the most terrifying family environment possible, and has seen what they did to the nail that did try sticking up. Sanji has the will to rebel because he got to escape and live and grow outside his father's empire in a series of positive, nurturing environments - first Baratie, and then the Straw Hats' wild ride. Frankly, even patching her brother up and offering him comfort and covert aid is pretty heroic, considering both the price of rebellion and that she was a literal child at the time.

It really reminds me of the ol: "Want to be secret friends? Just don't tell any of the other kids in class we are friends, ok?" But yeah, it's very realistic, and I think it's a really great narrative touch, I'm personally just not quick to defend it.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
That cover page is inspired. :allears:

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Holy poo poo wasn't it enough for Sanji to have that tragedy with Zeff, but now this? I don't even want to think about what Oda has in store for Brook when we learn more about his past and what tragedy caused him to go off with the Rumbar pirates.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Jesus that chapter was hosed up.

Everything since Zou has been so good, it's nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Space-Bird posted:

It really reminds me of the ol: "Want to be secret friends? Just don't tell any of the other kids in class we are friends, ok?" But yeah, it's very realistic, and I think it's a really great narrative touch, I'm personally just not quick to defend it.

In this case, though, it's not just empty friendship. It's reaching out to an abused kid, offering comfort, and treating his wounds (with presumably stolen medical supplies), but keeping it a secret from the rest of your abusive superpowered royal family because if you don't, the consequences will be nightmarish. We're not just talking buckets of paint and wedgies because you've been seen hanging out with the kid who smells weird.