Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Barn Folk posted:

it is way, way down the line but someone earlier made an effortpost about how it won't ever work in SC. Putting on the VR headset tricks your brain into thinking what it is seeing is real. When the "immersive fidelity" animations of walking up a ladder or entering your ship or even reloading your gun lock your head into an unskipable animation, your brain feels like it's being jerked around and it will make you super nauseous.

Your head moves one way but the animations make your field of vision move a different way. You get sick. It's not fun.

The dogshit frame rate is a problem too. Currently the target for VR games is a minimum 90FPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Jimeth posted:

I've been out of the loop quite a while, so can anybody tell me whether or not it's normal to have had your AC pass "reclaimed" for store credit mid-october last year?

Yeah, they changed stuff and gave everyone with a pass $5 in credit as it was costed for that or something.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

alphabettitouretti posted:

The dogshit frame rate is a problem too. Currently the target for VR games is a minimum 90FPS.

Cryengine, where the tears flow.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

no_recall posted:

Cryengine, where the tears flow.

It's actually the short form of Crying Engine.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/53ofnr/vision_stabilization_what_is_this_tech_exactly/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69os9jzKF14

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Wow these BF1 hero classes look pretty fun.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tippis posted:

Wumpus wasn't first person. Check mate goonie.

Cats do too if you let them. It's the neighbours that are worse than dogs in that comparison.

Not sure how you went from teletype to first person, but, yeah, okay, sure.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I saw that thread, and was unsurprised that no one could explain what the tech actually is. Nice to see not even the devs know.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

D_Smart posted:

I swear these rear end-clowns were breast-fed by their fathers. Nothing else explains this level of ignorance.

For starters, he has no clue what middleware I used in my custom engine. And if he did, the fact that he's calling Triton, Silverlining, Havok AI, Havok Physics, Havok Vision, Iggy, FMOD etc "shite middleware" just shows how completely out of touch these guys are.

Then in the next breath, he is saying that building a custom engine would be fraught with issues and such, when in fact so will anything related to gamedev. This aside from the fact that by modifying 50% of CE3 to the FrankenEngine, they've no doubt introduced a million or more bugs; most of which aren't even discovered yet. Right now, LOD has less than a dozen pending bugs/issues; while their five year, $124 million project has - at last count - almost a million.

And they hired the CryTek engineers almost 18 months ago. Still shite.

This bears repeating, and should be spread far and wide

Yeah, because FMOD is such shite, I keep seeing it in so many game startup screens... (That and WWise, which impresses me AS shite)...

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Can't wait to see what the body horror will look like now that first and third person animations are the same.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

I still can't believe they're parading no headbobbing as a major game tech breakthrough. Like seriously, if you still believe in this project after seeing the video they put up showcasing this new "tech" I think you're beyond professional help.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Tokamak posted:

I saw that thread, and was unsurprised that no one could explain what the tech actually is. Nice to see not even the devs know.

I'd put that to him but I'm banned for saying tickle

:negative:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

alphabettitouretti posted:

As this all wouldn't be enough, there is another problem: they use deferred rendering, which limits the possibilies regarding anti aliasing. Take a look at VR games made with Unreal Engine, and then take a look at games made with Unity. Unreal Engine most of the time looks extremely blurry (Star Wars: Trails of Tatooine for example, but many others also). Epic is working on finding a good solution for this, but most Unreal games I played were much too blurry to enjoy in regard to games made with a forward rendering path and propper anti aliasing + supersampling.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Does anybody remember their bullshit reason for "needing to sync the first person and third person animations" to begin with?

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

Lackadaisical Phraseologist

Beet Wagon posted:

Does anybody remember their bullshit reason for "needing to sync the first person and third person animations" to begin with?

~Immersion~

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

Lackadaisical Phraseologist

AP posted:

Yeah, they changed stuff and gave everyone with a pass $5 in credit as it was costed for that or something.

Thanks, just wanted to make sure they weren't playing funny buggers with my account.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

This is amazing.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

"Third person views aren't immersive enough for the level of fidelity I demand from my space sim games." Shitizens when third person view is eventually cut out and presented as a new game tech break through.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Tokamak posted:

So for 2.6,
(late) October/November - Evocati
November - PTU
December - Live

Now do you think they'll get 3.0 ready, and tested within a month, let alone the Christmas period?
Jesus patch just got delayed to 2017. Not that it ever was going to make it anyway. This is just the first official communication that excludes a reasonable time frame for 2016.

tbf, I think when croberts told them that the 3.0 Jesus Patch would be out by end of the year, he didn't actually say which year. See? It's all about context.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

Its never a good idea tbh.

Arma does it, and all it does is take away control of the player when an animation plays out and does what any other game does anyway.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

I'm quite sure that the guys working in the LA office are pleased that she keeps sneaking up on them like this, taking pictures, and posting them on social media. I mean, which other company or team does this - on a regular basis?

This woman seriously has no filters, and no clue.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

D_Smart posted:

I'm quite sure that the guys working in the LA office are pleased that she keeps sneaking up on them like this, taking pictures, and posting them on social media. I mean, which other company or team does this - on a regular basis?

This woman seriously has no filters, and no clue.

You just don't understand open development.

Cigstomper58
Aug 17, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
We know shes not taking most if not all of these pictures.
If she is, she's either saving them and pretending she just took a walk round the office or shes taking international flights on a daily basis to get these shots as she posts from the UK to the US day to day etc.

She probably just has someone from the community team do this.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

The social media dude here at work do the same thing all the time, except he asks the people in the pic first and they are front and center and the text mentions what they do ect. It's a good way to present the human side of your company. Difference is, he has never been in any of the pictures himself.

Lol I just checked, we have 300k more "likes" on our company page than CIG.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Are Star Citizen believers kind of like those people who believe that the rapture is happening any minute now and are constantly and happily adjusting their position on when exactly that is based on the fact that it hasn't yet but it must be because god wouldn't lie?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

fideliteh

But now that the helmet is gone, head-bobbing is gone; next up, they're getting rid of the arms and just showing the weapon. Floating in space.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

D_Smart posted:

fideliteh

But now that the helmet is gone, head-bobbing is gone; next up, they're getting rid of the arms and just showing the weapon. Floating in space.

Well that's what happens to commandos about 55% of the time you try and play the game currently, so technically they can call the game complete if they just "funnovate" a way to remove limbs from Space Torsos.

Man I remember thinking the big brouhaha about "syncing 1st and 3rd person" poo poo was retarded back when they wouldn't shut up about it, but I had no idea the level of retardation it would lead to.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

D_Smart posted:

tbf, I think when croberts told them that the 3.0 Jesus Patch would be out by end of the year, he didn't actually say which year. See? It's all about context.

You might be joking but the Citizens were arguing whether Chris was talking about the fiscal, not the calendar year

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

You might be joking but the Citizens were arguing whether Chris was talking about the fiscal, not the calendar year

:negative:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Meanwhile, over there.

quote:

Usually when people call me out in a thread, when I respond, it tends not to work out so well for them.

So, for your sake, aside from the fact that it's a violation of the forum rules (look it up), try not to do that. There is nothing to be gained by singling me out. Just post; and anyone who cares enough will respond.

My indie game, like it or hate it, is coming along just fine; and the people testing and helping us out with it, are perfectly happy with it. Our changelog shows steady and meaningful progress; our bugs list isn't even noteworthy, our roadmap remains focused, straightforward and informative.

Meanwhile, 500 people + five years + $124 million later; Star Citizen has no clear focus nor objective or roadmap; has over 29K (!) documented bugs - most of which are 2+ years old; and the changelog for each patch shows even more issues, while not fixing the majority of what came before.

And the "game" is very much in maintenance mode seeing as NOTHING tangible (unlike you, most of us actually pay attention to the changelog) has been done to the game since I made that comment earlier (Mar 30th, 2016 in post #2805 to be exact) this year.

Despite the fact that you guys think that by obfuscating facts, you're going to convince anyone of anything, the reality of the situation is that all of this material is actually out there. Anyone who knows anything about games, can look at the SC changelog since Mar to now, and clearly see that, outside of shops, one new location (GrimHex), as well as some new weapons and ships made flight ready, NOTHING tangible by way of meaningful progress outside of bug fixes and tweaks, have been made to the game.

No, I am not going to explain to you what "maintenance" mode means as it pertains to software development; go look it up and add it to your MS Word document, so you can copy and paste it wherever you guys post.

Comparing this multi-million dollar game with a triple-A budget, to an indie game with a small team, isn't going to make Star Citizen any better, nor increase its chances of ever being released (even as promised), or make it a good game. And the more you guys do it, the sillier and more desperate it looks. At the end of the day, just like all my games, LOD is no danger of not being released.

As we've all stated, the people like you in the community, are the worst thing that could ever have happened to this project. So no matter how the game turns out in the end, it is forever tainted, and will forever remain the laughing stock of gamers and game devs everywhere.

Cigstomper58
Aug 17, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Its insanely cool to me that my work blocks frontier forums as a gaming website but RSI is A-ok.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
how can they claim fidelity of simulation if not for 1st and 3rd person synched animations? Next you're going to tell me simulating the oxygen level in the bloodstream is too much effort and they should just have a oxygen meter?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

This is such a stupid argument when he was clearly using the Mayan calendar.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

synced animations are actually cool and good and tons of cool games use them.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Cigstomper58 posted:

Its insanely cool to me that my work blocks frontier forums as a gaming website but RSI is A-ok.

There are several of us having a discussion on the off site forum about getting the RSI website blocked by workplace filters all over the world. Most firewalls use the same basic list of websites that they all block. We just make a bunch of complaints to the handful of companies managing the software and boom, RSI is blocked for backers the world over.

IT managers at companies can also add individual websites to the blocked list at their company too. So if the above plan doesn't work we'll make complaints, individually, to businesses and get it blocked that way.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

There are several of us having a discussion on the off site forum about getting the RSI website blocked by workplace filters all over the world. Most firewalls use the same basic list of websites that they all block. We just make a bunch of complaints to the handful of companies managing the software and boom, RSI is blocked for backers the world over.

IT managers at companies can also add individual websites to the blocked list at their company too. So if the above plan doesn't work we'll make complaints, individually, to businesses and get it blocked that way.

Why would you honestly do this

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Propagandist posted:

autism

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Propagandist posted:

It's just one of several things we've either been actively doing, or planning, in order to piss off star citizen backers because they suck and we hate them.

Before you guys start throwing stones you need to at least read the discussion on the off site forum and/or come listen to one of the meetings on mumble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cigstomper58
Aug 17, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I was a making a "haha SC isn't considered a game joke".

• Locked thread